Billiards Manual - Three Cushion Vol. 1

17andOUT

You attacked ME personaly!

ALSO I DON't BELIEVE YOU RAN 17 and OUT. HAHA you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all the people all the time.FASTEDDIEF

Mr.FastEddieF;
I did not attack you personaly, all I asked is that you explain how you based your opinion on a book when you admited yourself you have not read every book written on 3 cushion billiards. And what your credentials were to make the statement, THATS ALL.

I didn't question your ability, or your honesty, but, you felt you had to question mine. I never admitted to being an accomplished player, but you felt to assume my ability at 3.40-4.00 average, how did you come to that conclusion?, then you proceed to basically call me a liar, not believing I would be able to make a run of 17, I never said I did!

So, who does it sound like attacked who personaly?
I think you should really look back at your post to see the facts!

17andOUT

P.S. This WILL be MY FINAL word on this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fasteddief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
17andout, FYI your very first post was a personal attack. I simply gave my opinion on what I believe to be a great instructional book. I in no way belittled or said other books were not good. You questioned my qualifications first. All I was doing was trying to help other 3C players gain as much knowledge as possible. I did not give my opinion to provoke a debate. For some unknown reason you became very defensive about my opinion. Anybody who goes back and reads this thread from the beginning will see what I am saying is accurate. Just remeber you were the one that started with the ASSUME business. That is when you clearly lowered yourself on this thread. Hopefully we can get past this matter and discuss billiards in the future like gentlemen. Thanks FastEddieF.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here a simply yes or no question to both 17andOUT & fasteddief.

Have both of you bought the book yet and have read it completely? I have not bought the book yet.

Bob Watson [Bobby the Mole, RatF@@Ker, billiardshot] of Virginia Beach, VA

techman

Registered
I own both volumes (in german) so I can say, that these books are good for beginners. But they are not facing modern 3-cushion-play. But it´s ok for learning some basics and also for learning some systems, as well as some different solutions for difficult positions.

I recommend those books to players from .4 to .8 average. And by the way, runs of 17 are always possible :)

fasteddief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Book

Hi,I just wanted to thank everyone who wrote me private messages and understood why I had to defend myself and gave me support on this matter.Thanks Again, FastEddieF.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I just order my copy from Paul Frankel today.

I understand ProfessorQBall only have a few left. I wouldn't wait too long, if you're planning on buying.

Last edited:

ipitythefool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL nice thread!
I don`t want to go into an argument w/ anyone lol, but I read few books and IMO the best has always been the Mister 100, the new one. And, correct me if I am wrong, but it is the only book that is written by a top player. Ceulemans, that is. Almost all other authors are either barely known, or simply don`t known in the int`l billiard community.

That Billiard Atlas series, whose writer passed away my condolences- I remember buying it back when I used to live in Cali. IMO, a book, especially a book trying to teach systems has to has to be clear, concise and e.z to understand. This book was like, trying to grab every itsy bitsy of info from here and there, especially from this side of the pond, this side being Europe. But, I found it TOO complex to understand. Perhaps it is me, but those drawings just did not make sense to me. Maybe because I was kinda younger then. Btw- did this book`s price go up in the last years? I remember buying it quite reasonable back then.

Murat Tuzul book is much easier to understand. But, these are new systems, his own systems and it would not really help to a person trying to learn the main diamond sytem.

There is a 500 pg book by a Turkish player named Avni Koksal. Simply, we can say, one of the best players Turkey ever had. Sort of the idol and father figure to likes of Sayginer, Coklu and Tasdemir. This book, I would like to attempt to translating into English. Yet, it is just so much work.

I would like to check out the book that is being mentioned here someday.

Now...there is another book that I bought years and years back!!! From someone in Elk Grove Sacramento area in CA! He was giving lessons also. This man invented his own systems and wrote a book. Does anyone know him or remember his book? As I can hardly remember it! :)

Now I live in Turkey, literally surrounded by thousands of carom tables. And most good players are in fact creating their own systems...

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
> only book that is written by a top player. Ceulemans, that is.

Hoppe, Cochran, Caudron, Bitalis. And Vignaux, if you want to include a really, really old carom guy.

> ... Btw- did [ the Billiard Atlas's ] price go up in the last years? I remember buying it quite reasonable back then.

Not really. You can see the price on www.billiardsatlas.com -- about $30 per volume. I'm told that sales will continue. Or, you could pay $100 in the used book market.

> Now...there is another book that I bought years and years back!!! From someone in Elk Grove Sacramento area in CA!

That would be Darrell Martineau.

ipitythefool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
> only book that is written by a top player. Ceulemans, that is.

Hoppe, Cochran, Caudron, Bitalis. And Vignaux, if you want to include a really, really old carom guy.

> ... Btw- did [ the Billiard Atlas's ] price go up in the last years? I remember buying it quite reasonable back then.

Not really. You can see the price on www.billiardsatlas.com -- about $30 per volume. I'm told that sales will continue. Or, you could pay $100 in the used book market.

> Now...there is another book that I bought years and years back!!! From someone in Elk Grove Sacramento area in CA!

That would be Darrell Martineau.

Yup, that is the name..Darrell Martineau..Thanks, Bob!
And I never came across a book written by Caudron. Can you refer me to any specific site? Is the book in English?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
oh la la...unfortunately the book would not make me any sense in french lol..merci anyways!
That's strange since French is just like English except some of the words are different. Fortunately, there's a solution for you:

Caudron_nl 001.jpg

As for other books by top players, a brief scan of the literature gives in addition to the ones I mentioned above books by Dielis, Cannefax, Phelan, Katsura, Lieberkind, Gilbert, Connesson, Boulanger, Conti, Corin, Daly, Efler, Guenet, Marty, Gabriëls, and Parera Sans. Some of these books such as the one by Efler are excellent, but some of them are not. As Dr. Hüpper points out in The Billiards Manual, some champions are too far removed from the time they were learning to remember how it was. I think a billiard author needs to be at least a fairly good amateur player but more importantly he needs to be able to understand the problems, organize the material well, and present it clearly.

georgie-porgie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Three cushion vol. 1

To Bob,
Can you advise, who or whose books, Hoppe, Cochran, Bozeman, Layton,
and all the other great american players of their day used as guidelines?
Answer: Nada. They relied on their experience gained on the table, based on the prevailing conditions existing at the time...This is contrary to the existing hype of today: buy my book, Dvd, and I'll share the secrets of
Billiards...Bah Humbug...

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Can you advise, who or whose books, Hoppe, Cochran, Bozeman, Layton,
and all the other great american players of their day used as guidelines?
In the case of Hoppe, he got instruction from Maurice Daly. In the case of Cochran, he says in the dedication of his book, "Scientific Billiards:"

To Professor Lanson W. Perkins

who took me in hand at the age of fourteen and taught me the fundamentals of billiards, I dedicate this volume, with the fervent hope that it may be as helpful to my readers as his patient and kindly instructions were to me.

--- Welker Cochran.

georgie-porgie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
billiards book vol1

Sorry Bob I'm not familiar with Cochrans book dedication.
I am speaking from first-hand verbal conversation with Jay Bozeman, Tiff Denton, and many other American greats including Al Gilbert and Sang Lee.
"You need to develop your own style and mastery of the game, through your own experience. You can only learn by your own mistakes, and profit from them on your next effort."
Sorry, Bob, I didnt mean this to be some sort of treatise on the subject.
By the way, I bought the book, which this thread is supposed to be about.
I havent formed any conclusions about it as yet.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billiards Manual - Three Cushion Vol. 1 ORDER NOW! 901 756-2594
After years of efforts to satisfy the high standards of the author we are pleased to offer this long-awaited translation into English. 
The discipline of Three-Cushion, considered by many to be the highest form of carom billiards, is explained, analyzed and discussed in great depth, supported by more than 800 graphic illustrations.
The book can serve as a training guide for the novice, as well as a reference manual for the advanced player. It addresses all elementary components of the game, and also presents innovative solutions to difficult positions.
Sound technical advice is offered, and intelligent sport psychology is discussed, combining in a work designed to improve every serious three-cushion player’s game. CLICK ON LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION
http://professorqball.com/?p=5428

This what the thread about - opportunity to buy the book from ProfessorQBall. if you want to have a discussion on what is the best book. Then start its own thread.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
I found the Caudron book excellent. It is in French and is available from Kozoom here: http://www.kozoom.com/fr/general/boutique-billard/produits/433/

Mark, for what level of player do you think Caudron's book is most useful?

I play 3-cushion only rarely, but I do love the game almost as much as I love snooker, and I hope to play 3-cushion more once I'm either rich or nearly destitute. (I think my wife might prefer the former condition to the latter.) I have Byrne's books and Hoppe's book, I live within driving distance of a good pool hall with carom tables (but don't have time to go often enough), and I could take another lesson with a good, patient instructor (Mazin Shooni) who's only 1-1/2 hours away by car.

That long-winded intro aside, I feel the itch to acquire another book. Several times I've been one mouse click away from purchasing Mr. 100, but I couldn't justify the cost. At least not yet; I've yet to hold a copy in my hands, so I don't know what I'm missing. An experienced local 3C player said Mr. 100 wasn't suitable for any but the better players (perhaps an average of 0.7 and above?).

My question to you or any other poster: if I were to buy one more book that covers basic shots and a number of systems, what book should I buy? Even if I'll never be a good carom player, I get satisfaction from reading good instructional books and applying what I can.

I read and speak German, so I might even consider getting the original of the Billiards Manual.

Last edited: