Billy Incardona is Hall of Fame worthy

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Absolutely... should have happened a while ago. Strong player back in the day, his contributions to the world of pool, commentary on countless matches, a well-spoken icon of the game!:thumbup:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
All well and good. As Bob Jewett said, someone has to do a write-up and submit him for candidacy.

Only one person gets in for Meritorious when it comes up, so it’s a tough selection since there are so many that deserve to be in. Unfortunately, this year isnt the year for Meritorious Service. We alternate years. I’d love if we could do a Meritorious every year, but that has its own challenges.

It’s the Veteran Player this year.

Freddie

olymez

Registered
west coast perspective

I went on the road with my partner in 1973 after he had won the Sacramento Open at the Jointed Cue. Every road player we ran into said the same thing - west of the Mississippi Cole Dickson was the best 9 ball player, on the other side of the river it was Billy Incardona. Aside from his playing talents, he also deserves inclusion in the Hall of Fame for meritorious service - his announcing skills are superior to many so-called sportscasters on national TV.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All well and good. As Bob Jewett said, someone has to do a write-up and submit him for candidacy.

Only one person gets in for Meritorious when it comes up, so it’s a tough selection since there are so many that deserve to be in. Unfortunately, this year isnt the year for Meritorious Service. We alternate years. I’d love if we could do a Meritorious every year, but that has its own challenges.

Freddie

Gosh, isn't Billy a veteran player?

It kind of seems that the BCA industry members vote for who benefits their collective industry sometimes.

I remember one year when they asked the public to vote on a poll with three candidate names. The overwhelming winner was Earl, yet he was not inducted that year.

Of course, Billy Incardona should be in the BCA's Hall of Fame. It is a shame that threads like this have to point out the truth.

I could create a Wiki article about Billy if thta would help. Oh, wait. I already did.

The legends of the game seem to not get the recognition they deserve sometimes. I've learned to just say the Serenity Prayer and accept the things that I cannot change. The selection of the BCA's Hall of Fame Committee is one of them.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Freddie

From these comments, here's the list: For Meritorious Service: Billy Incardona, Jerry Briesath, Grady Mathews, The Jansco Brothers, and I will add Bob Jewett. For Veteran Player: Kim Davenport; Greatest Player: Niels Fiejen. Is there anyone else who deserves consideration at this time?

CallShotCowboy

AZB Rose Gold
Gold Member
Silver Member
It kind of seems that the BCA industry members vote for who benefits their collective industry sometimes.

The BCA has nothing to do with the Hall of Fame voting, they simply underwrite and provide funds for the HoF banquet each year. Like Major League Baseball, Pool & Billiards has a billiard media group (USBMA.com) that does all the voting for the HoF!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The BCA has nothing to do with the Hall of Fame voting, they simply underwrite and provide funds for the HoF banquet each year. Like Major League Baseball, Pool & Billiards has a billiard media group (USBMA.com) that does all the voting for the HoF!

If the BCA is paying for it, they have something to do with it. After all, it's the BCA's Hall of Fame.

stevenmor

Registered
From these comments, here's the list: For Meritorious Service: Billy Incardona, Jerry Briesath, Grady Mathews, The Jansco Brothers, and I will add Bob Jewett. For Veteran Player: Kim Davenport; Greatest Player: Niels Fiejen. Is there anyone else who deserves consideration at this time?

The late Jimmy Fusco

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The late Jimmy Fusco

Again, if no one writes up a nomination and sends it to the USBMA, nothing will happen. If you really want to make something happen, you really have to do something other than just post here.

But here's the sort of problem any candidate faces: there is a lot of competition. For example, who is more qualified for the HOF, Jimmy or David Howard? Howard won the US Open 9 Ball twice. Which national tournaments did Jimmy win?

old fart

Registered
i've been around this game since the late 1960s and i can tell you- Incardona definitely has/had the talent but never had integrity to merit the HOF. Ban me from ever posting again if you want but i will stand by my comment!

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'll go=

Meritorious : Billy Incardona

Veteran player : Kim Davenport

Case closed:cool:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
i've been around this game since the late 1960s and i can tell you- Incardona definitely has/had the talent but never had integrity to merit the HOF. Ban me from ever posting again if you want but i will stand by my comment!

I highly doubt your opinion is anything you can get banned for.
Sounds like it would be much more fun to keep you around, and lets face it, he was
a pool player, road player, hustler, of course there are going to be things in his past
Billy Incardon'a longtime contribution to pool, announcing prowess, and the fact that
most people like him is what this meritorious stuff is all about.

old fart

Registered
Cues- a lot of people may like billy but i wonder how many of them trust him? i realize that it is Only My opinion, but to be HOF worthy should include integrity. Maybe i am by myself in this, but Billy was always about "doing business". i can think of a lot of other greats, who many on here would never recognize their names, are just as deserving based on their Game and More deserving based on their Reputation.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cues- a lot of people may like billy but i wonder how many of them trust him? i realize that it is Only My opinion, but to be HOF worthy should include integrity. Maybe i am by myself in this, but Billy was always about "doing business". i can think of a lot of other greats, who many on here would never recognize their names, are just as deserving based on their Game and More deserving based on their Reputation.

can you give any specifics
because i never see or read or have heard billy's name associated with "doing business"
i am sure he was not a choir boy but nothing beyond the "norm" for his time
he seems to be VERY respected by his peers

Last edited:

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I remember Billy Incardona back in the early 1970s, when almost no one (anywhere) wanted to get on a 9-ball table with him.
As strong a player as there was.
Hard nosed, headstrong, ready for action at any price.....and could he play!

As years went by, Billy dove-tailed into his speaking roles and rose to the top of the heap here as well.
But make no mistake, he was a monster player.
And always with the best cues anyone had....Szamboti, Stroud, another Szamboti. And so on.

Absolutely Hall of Fame worthy, on many dimensions: player, veteran player, meritorious service, etc..
I would be a loud advocate to see him go in.....NEXT!

Will Prout

old fart

Registered
bbb, please do not take this as an insult but how old are you? i ask that because billy was infamous for doing business. i realize that MANY did business but not many that i know of were "infamous" for it. in order to give specifics i would have to name others involved and i simply refuse to do that because this post is Not about them. in fact i would not have even brought it up about billy except that he is mentioned as HOF worthy by some, and they are entitled to their opinions. i am pretty confident if you talk to older players who trust you enough to tell you the truth while knowing that it wont go any further than your ears, you should find some stuff out.