C. J. Wiley - A Touch of Inside

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
And TOI increases the margin of error.

pj <- CJ says so
chgo
But CJ has nowhere near the knowledge and credibility that you do. As well as tournament wins, money won in tournaments and gambling/hustling money. Are you saying this is a total scam on his part to make money on video sales and lessons?

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
So he’s basically using varying amounts of inside english to create varying amounts of CB deflection to thin his cut angle from two starting points, CCB->COB, and CCB->EOB?

Two big questions come to mind:

1. What does he do if he wants/needs to use outside english for gearing or position? BHE from his TOI shaft alignment?

2. Does he never strike CCB, except on straight shots? If so, then swerve has to come into consideration on every single shot that is long enough or soft enough to matter (probably 75% or so).

Last edited:

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't use the TOI methodology, but in theory, I can see how it would reduce the variation of trying to hit center ball and hitting a little bit off center one way or the other. In a nutshell, the theory in saying a little less or a little more inside will create less havoc than trying to hit center but sometimes adding inside and sometimes adding outside. That guy did play pretty damn good.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I don't use the TOI methodology, but in theory, I can see how it would reduce the variation of trying to hit center ball and hitting a little bit off center one way or the other.
The fallacy in that thinking is that a stroke error results in the same CB direction error no matter whether you're trying to hit centerball or side.

pj
chgo

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't use the TOI methodology, but in theory, I can see how it would reduce the variation of trying to hit center ball and hitting a little bit off center one way or the other. In a nutshell, the theory in saying a little less or a little more inside will create less havoc than trying to hit center but sometimes adding inside and sometimes adding outside. That guy did play pretty damn good.
I’ve never understood that argument. Missing your intended contact point is going to change the deflection of the CB and miss left or right of where you intended it to go, regardless of whether you were trying to hit it with half a tip inside or CCB.

That said, bridging at your shaft’s natural pivot point will make small mistakes in tip contact point mostly no big deal to the CB’s direction.

The one thing I do like about using a true TOI is the cancellation of cut-induced spin on the CB. With the right amount, the CB leaves the OB with no sidespin.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
So he’s basically using varying amounts of inside english to create varying amounts of CB deflection to thin his cut angle from two starting points, CCB->COB, and CCB->EOB?
I'd say that's exactly what he's doing. I never gave it a try in the past. But recently I got on the table and gave it a go. To say it was counterintuitive would be an understatement but I did it as stated and by damn it works.
Two big questions come to mind:

1. What does he do if he wants/needs to use outside english for gearing or position? BHE from his TOI shaft alignment?
He didn't get into it in the video posted here. I'm sure he does. He's way ahead a full table of balls in the preplanning process reading the table for all the angles.
2. Does he never strike CCB, except on straight shots? If so, then swerve has to come into consideration on every single shot that is long enough or short enough to matter (probably 75% or so).
I don't think it's swerve as much as deflection.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
About side being "more forgiving" than center - yes.

Congratulations on getting that after all these years.

pj
chgo
What I have gotten after all these years is the skill to pound your hack playing butt into the ground on any game out there and lead you to broke. Which would not actually happen since you're too afraid to play for money. Your skill is wordsmithing on a pool forum and has been for almost three decades. You've buffaloed more people into thinking you can really play than a great screenwriter could create for a movie.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
About side being "more forgiving" than center - yes.

Congratulations on getting that after all these years.

pj
chgo
I know one thing after all these years and it's that you've gotten very little outside of your preconceived ideas on how the game is played if it doesn't match up with your 2D drawings.