Can someone expalin the Term "Pro Taper"

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Sorry Rick and Pat, i rushed my reply i was heading out the door. I meant refer to a 2011 year post i found by running a Google search on the subject.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=3889102#post3889102
naji, I understood what you were saying - no need for Hunger Strike's 2011 post to clarify (but thanks anyway for going to the trouble of finding it). I think you must still misunderstand what I've been saying:

We know where we're going to hit the cue ball by where our set up and practice strokes show us we'll hit. This is true whether our shaft has a pro taper or a conical taper, whether we take no practice strokes or many, and whether our practice strokes stop near or far from the cue ball. We know this is true because we must do it and it's the only way we have to do it.

So if we hit the cue ball somewhere else it's not because the shaft's taper put the tip one place on our practice stroke(s) and someplace else on the shot stroke - it's the same shaft both times, after all. It's because our stroke varied.

pj
chgo

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
naji, I understood what you were saying - no need for Hunger Strike's 2011 post to clarify (but thanks anyway for going to the trouble of finding it). I think you must still misunderstand what I've been saying:

We know where we're going to hit the cue ball by where our set up and practice strokes show us we'll hit. This is true whether our shaft has a pro taper or a conical taper, whether we take no practice strokes or many, and whether our practice strokes stop near or far from the cue ball. We know this is true because we must do it and it's the only way we have to do it.

So if we hit the cue ball somewhere else it's not because the shaft's taper put the tip one place on our practice stroke(s) and someplace else on the shot stroke - it's the same shaft both times, after all. It's because our stroke varied.

pj
chgo

PJ,

I'm intersted in your opinon. Would it matter if the cue stick was bent in the bridge area?

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
And I was born yesterday. You're fishing for inconsistency.

The first few times you used it, maybe. After that you'd either figure out how to hit the CB accurately with it or get a new shaft.

pj
chgo

I can play quite well with a vey crooked stick. Many people simply can not.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
The first few times you used it, maybe. After that you'd either figure out how to hit the CB accurately with it or get a new shaft.

pj
chgo

Pat, long time,

I was trying to remember using an old crooked house cue when I first started playing in the 60s and remembered miscuing off the rail..... does this ring a bell?

Those old house cues were 'conical' tapered from the ferrule straight back to the joint. My first pro-taper cue was 13 1/4 inch straight back for 8 inches and then the conical to the joint.

I don't remember seeing a player with a good stroke and properly chalked and shaped tip, miscue playing the cue ball off the rail.

I do remember doing this when I was very new to the game. I thought it was the cue's fault.... but I learned different.

dsoriano

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I received exactly what I was looking for and more! I got the profound definition of a pro-taper, and the proper term of a break cue taper (conical taper) but of course now I’m left with more questions…………………….
What in the world is a European Taper? And now a term I have never heard of before, a siffish taper

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well I received exactly what I was looking for and more! I got the profound definition of a pro-taper, and the proper term of a break cue taper (conical taper) but of course now I’m left with more questions…………………….
What in the world is a European Taper? And now a term I have never heard of before, a siffish taper
Here's a description of both types, from Wikipedia's pool shaft page:
Shafts are made with various tapers, the two most common being the pro taper and the European taper. The pro taper has the same diameter from the tip to 30–35 cm (12-14 inches) toward the joint, at which point it begins to widen. The European taper widens continually and smoothly from the ferrule toward the joint. Despite their names, the continually sloping European taper is found in most North American bar and house cues, and not all professional players prefer a straight pro taper on their custom, two-piece models.​

Regards,
Dave

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... It might be a good idea if the forum could add the post #'s when someone does a quote so readers could easily go back & read the whole quote if & when needed. ...

When you quote a post, the first line of the boxed-in quote says "Originally Posted by ..." and then gives the original poster's name followed by a bent arrow. Click on that bent arrow and you will be taken to the original post.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
When you quote a post, the first line of the boxed-in quote says "Originally Posted by ..." and then gives the original poster's name followed by a bent arrow. Click on that bent arrow and you will be taken to the original post.

Thanks Sir,

You are always helpful.

Thanks again,