China Open 2017

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah because once somebody gets to a certain level they should ignore their own flaws, and the rest of us should also just pretend those flaws don't exist when we see them. Both sound like what somebody who isn't very smart would do. Just saying.

The guy just won a World Championship, hardly the time for some couch potato to be pointing out his flaws and saying he is mentally weak. In my opinion, to win a World Championship, he could not possibly be mentally weak.

You can pretend whatever you want.

The guy got to be a World Champion by playing the way he plays. Can he get better - Probably. Can he mess himself up by changing his style = definitely.
Can he mess himself up by changing his mental approach = definitely.

At this point if he has a world class coach, the coach would probably tell him to not change anything, keep doing what got you to be a World Champion.

If his world class coach told him to slow down and change his mental approach it would be time for a new coach.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
The guy just won a World Championship, hardly the time for some couch potato to be pointing out his flaws and saying he is mentally weak. In my opinion, to win a World Championship, he could not possibly be mentally weak.

You can pretend whatever you want.

The guy got to be a World Champion by playing the way he plays. Can he get better - Probably. Can he mess himself up by changing his style = definitely.
Can he mess himself up by changing his mental approach = definitely.

At this point if he has a world class coach, the coach would probably tell him to not change anything, keep doing what got you to be a World Champion.

If his world class coach told him to slow down and change his mental approach it would be time for a new coach.

If you are that slow that you can't see that he makes careless mistakes, often from shooting too quickly, then there isn't much I can do to help you.

There is no excuse for careless mistakes, because they are due to...you guessed it, carelessness, and carelessness is mostly or even wholly preventable.

Any coach that tells you there is nothing you can improve is incompetent. What good can a coach possibly be if he isn't even capable of spotting any flaws that need improvement? What would be the point?

My suggestion to you is don't get ever into coaching, it obviously isn't your gig.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any youtube of Filler? I must be living in a cave. Never heard of him.

He's been on our radar for a couple years, and we've made several posts about him here. In fact both Filler and Ruiz get inadequate attention in discussions on the world scene and Mosconi-cup discussions.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 8.11.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 8.11.58 AM.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 305

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i can understand why the term "weakness" can invoke a negative reaction

i wouldn't necessarily apply that term to a young up and comer still learning, it's not really fair, particularly as pointed put he has world class skills, the fact that he simply has not mastered all aspects of the game at such a young age is normal, the fact that he has mastered so much of it is amazing

its so subjective, Earl is often categorized as the weakest mental player ever yet he's considered by many to be the best ever also, so were his flaws really flaws? how do you win multiple world titles being mentally weak?

often times its better conceding your flaws and literally giving up on them to focus on improving your strengths

the one constant i see here often amoungst all the preaching is forgetting that every single skill and drill and aspect of your game you practice takes time away from every other aspect of your game

I wonder how Earl's career would have turned out if he gave up valuable practice time for therapy and anger management and reading books and forums

in the case of Filler, he's simply too young to really critique in any meaningful way imo, he's supposed to lack in certain areas and even to refer to him as immature in any way would be in my mind illogical and inaccurate

I've critiqued Shaw myself but the reality is its entirely possible that he changes his game and he does not benefit from it

no magic formulas to any of this stuff

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weaknesses don't have to show up in a race to 9 or 11. At their level that's really not even a legitimate match. The loser could do nothing wrong and lose. Pool has too much luck at their level for a race to 9. I didn't watch the finals so nothing against Josh but many many times the loser outplayed the winner. That should never happen! A real pool match should be at least a race to 21 at the high pro level & even then rolls will make a difference but you have a chance to overcome.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Weaknesses don't have to show up in a race to 9 or 11. At their level that's really not even a legitimate match. The loser could do nothing wrong and lose. Pool has too much luck at their level for a race to 9. I didn't watch the finals so nothing against Josh but many many times the loser outplayed the winner. That should never happen! A real pool match should be at least a race to 21 at the high pro level & even then rolls will make a difference but you have a chance to overcome.

Well said Justin. If the format is winner breaks, a race to nine is a crap shoot. Race to 21 might tell which player is superior on that day. To determine a world champion, I'd prefer best two of three or three of five, race to 21. Perhaps even that is too short. TV time will limit the races. Streamers might love that format.

Lyn

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finally someone agrees with me lol. For sure I love the 2/3 set format like tennis. I like round robin early like the WPC used to do the maybe do 2/3 sets single elimination from there. Like 750 Fargo shouldn't be beating Alex Pagulayan or Orcollo 40 percent or more probably on bar tables in a race to 7 or 9. Problem is its to easy the first one to a shot wins. Orcollo might be a little more consistent but he might not get the chances in a race to 9 or 11. And then you have people on here if you lose a race to 5 on Mosconi they say you dogged it and get rid of him next year lol

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't hardly play 9b, but will watch a ton of it.

Can someone detail where the balls are racked difference between the China Open, US Open 9b, and Mosconi Cup? ie.. 1b on the footspot, 9b on the footspot, etc.

Which is easier to make balls? The US Open, sometimes you have to break within the break box too?

It seems like 1-2 balls are made on over 80% of the break at the China Open. A dry break is extremely rare.

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're right about luck factor. As a matter of fact in the last game of this match Filler kick safed. Blew safety but made ball to continue run. Not taking away his win though.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted earlier about Shaw's sloppiness... The fact is, if players like Filler and Shaw can find a way to marry their natural shotmaking ability with solid mental and tactical play, they will have a huge advantage over the competition. Shaw routinely throws away games with errant position play, which is fine at Turning Stone but not at the World 9 Ball Championship.

Of course, you can't just do this by flipping a light switch. It's just as true that most super-methodical players would be better off trusting their instincts more and getting out of their own heads.

These are all world-class players who are there for a reason, but at the very top level seemingly small changes in attitude and preparation can make a big difference.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Fargo rate of 790 on Filler. After watching a bit of his youtube play, I look for that number to climb. A match between Filler and Shaw could be very entertaining.

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are that slow that you can't see that he makes careless mistakes, often from shooting too quickly, then there isn't much I can do to help you.

There is no excuse for careless mistakes, because they are due to...you guessed it, carelessness, and carelessness is mostly or even wholly preventable.

Any coach that tells you there is nothing you can improve is incompetent. What good can a coach possibly be if he isn't even capable of spotting any flaws that need improvement? What would be the point?

My suggestion to you is don't get ever into coaching, it obviously isn't your gig.

You are definitely right on one point "there isn't much you can do to help me".

Maybe you are right though and Shaw or this kid will get to read your comments with their infinite wisdom and alter their games based on your analysis and become as good as you or maybe even better.

Maybe i am being unfair to you because I know nothing about you. For all i know you could be a professional level player or a highly paid instructor or coach. If this is the case, I apologize.

Last edited:

NastyNate13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9-ball on the spot now is broken too. Rarely do you see a guy breaking make less than 2 balls on the break.

Wish WPA and overseas would get on board with strictly 10-ball.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just watched the final, he and his girlfriend/partner went totally wild at the end! LOL

Pros getting a kick out of their celebration - looks like Hohmann, Lombardo, Souquet

aYBalS2.png

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

I agree with your opinion
Jason

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just watched the final, he and his girlfriend/partner went totally wild at the end! LOL

Pros getting a kick out of their celebration - looks like Hohmann, Lombardo, Souquet

aYBalS2.png

Thats his fiance Pia Bläser, one of the best women players in Germany. ;)