Corey's done it again, this time with 8b.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just broke 3 times on my home 8' table using this rack.

Break 1: made 2 of the correct group, 0 of the other, ran out on correct group.
Break 2: made 1 of the correct group, 0 of the other, failed to but should have run out.
Break 3: made 2 of the correct group, 0 of the other, ran out on correct group.

In 2 of the 3 breaks, the bad group had several balls clustered near the rack.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Just watched a replay of the Tourangeau/Deuel match. Ken points out the pattern then says it is perfectly legal. I guess his position is that by changing out individual balls for balls of the same set the pattern is broken. I think that kind of thinking is, well broken. Balls of the same group are equal.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I think they should have neutral rackers for all pro tournaments.

There are 41 bar tables here. Tournament ran on average from 10AM to 9PM (some days till 1AM). So assuming one guy can rack for four tables without slowing down the event you would need ten rackers for seven days at say twelve hours a day.

Thats 120 man hours per day. Lets just say for six days since Sunday is pretty dead so you need 720 man hours of labor to rack the balls. At $10 an hour thats $7200 for labor. The USBTC events are $5.5K added. Adding more for ball rackers than a tournament probably isnt going to happen any time soon.

Personally I dont mind pattern racking and never understood the vehemence against it. My view is that if both players can do it then it still comes down to whoever runs the balls better. If it is against the rules at an event it should be enforced though. The question is how do you do it on a lot of tables with two or three staff? I GUARANTEE the players are not going go for a racker/ref fee.

One sure solution to the whole idea is the Bucket Break (Trademark). Completely random every time and no way to control any ball.

Last edited:
There are 41 bar tables here. Tournament ran on average from 10AM to 9PM (some days till 1AM). So assuming one guy can rack for four tables without slowing down the event you would need ten rackers for seven days at say twelve hours a day.

Thats 120 man hours per day. Lets just say for six days since Sunday is pretty dead so you need 720 man hours of labor to rack the balls. At $10 an hour thats $7200 for labor. The USBTC events are $5.5K added. Adding more for ball rackers than a tournament probably isnt going to happen any time soon.

Personally I dont mind pattern racking and never understood the vehemence against it. My view is that if both players can do it then it still comes down to whoever runs the balls better. If it is against the rules at an event it should be enforced though. The question is how do you do it on a lot of tables with two or three staff? I GUARANTEE the players are not going go for a racker/ref fee.

One sure solution to the whole idea is the Bucket Break (Trademark). Completely random every time and no way to control any ball.

Forgive me for not knowing (or maybe its snark), but what is a bucket break?

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Snip.....

Personally I dont mind pattern racking and never understood the vehemence against it. My view is that if both players can do it then it still comes down to whoever runs the balls better. If it is against the rules at an event it should be enforced though.
More Snip....
I agree with this. Wish they had just left any mention of pattern racking out of the eight ball rules.
I am guilty of pattern racking in eight ball. I do it to try to achieve a fair and balanced distribution of the balls after the break, not to gain any advantage.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BCA only mentions that the back end balls be opposite and the 8-Ball in the obvious place.

These BCA rules say "The fifteen object balls are racked as tightly as possible in a triangle, with the apex ball on the foot spot and the eight ball as the first ball that is directly below the apex ball. One from each group of seven will be on the two lower corners of the triangle. The other balls are placed in the triangle without purposeful or intentional pattern."

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with this. Wish they had just left any mention of pattern racking out of the eight ball rules.
I am guilty of pattern racking in eight ball. I do it to try to achieve a fair and balanced distribution of the balls after the break, not to gain any advantage.

I do the same thing. This is one pattern I use that gets a pretty even spread on the balls, assuming I don't $#!7 the bed on the break shot

121038789299827515YukiKyuuketsuki_8_Ball_Rack.svg.med.png

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Hands Down ... The Most Intelligent

I will say this about Corey - extremely intelligent and talented pool player. He has created/modified the soft break, pattern racking and I'm sure other things in pool. I actually like his game a lot. He is probably the most intelligent pool player in the world.

I've been following his career since the beginning and find him to be not
only Intelligent, but a true Gentleman in all respects. He always has time to
converse with his fan base and actually speaks in grammatical terms which
exhibit a much higher education than the majority of his fellows pro players.

Go Corey !

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Forgive me for not knowing (or maybe its snark), but what is a bucket break?

It started out as snark but the more I think about it the more it makes sense. Derek Disco came up with the idea that at the beginning of every game you take all the balls, including cue ball, throw them in a bucket and shake it around then dump the bucket on the table.

Its pretty funny but then I thought about it and it does solve all of the problems of pattern racking, gaffe racking, etc. I figure if the cue ball goes incoming player starts behind the line. Its silly but when you think about it so is the current situation with not being able to trust people to just rack the damn balls.

It would also add a new product to the market. Custom break buckets. Break bucket cases. Custom bucket handles.

I would give Corey a month to figure out a way to game it.

Jpowell7575

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's doing that thing on the stream where he tries to make all 15 balls with the fewest amount of shots. This is cool to watch, it's amazing the things he can do.

CJRackley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been following his career since the beginning and find him to be not
only Intelligent, but a true Gentleman in all respects. He always has time to
converse with his fan base and actually speaks in grammatical terms which
exhibit a much higher education than the majority of his fellows pro players.

Go Corey !

I've been watching this guy since I was stationed in Philly in '93 when he was in his teens and have enjoyed watching him go from a local up and comer to world champion. I remember moving back to Memphis in the late 90s and was at a tournament with mostly local players, when Corey and Dee Adkins walked in and no one knew who they were. I'd so love to see him on the 2014 Cup team just because he brings that level of intelligence to the game. Team Corey all the way.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Dang. Now we need some computer to randomly specify ball placement when racking. But even that program could be hacked ha ha ha.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
It started out as snark but the more I think about it the more it makes sense. Derek Disco came up with the idea that at the beginning of every game you take all the balls, including cue ball, throw them in a bucket and shake it around then dump the bucket on the table.

Its pretty funny but then I thought about it and it does solve all of the problems of pattern racking, gaffe racking, etc. I figure if the cue ball goes incoming player starts behind the line. Its silly but when you think about it so is the current situation with not being able to trust people to just rack the damn balls.

It would also add a new product to the market. Custom break buckets. Break bucket cases. Custom bucket handles.

I would give Corey a month to figure out a way to game it.

I already have my new line of cocobolo buckets in production as we speak. Though ivory monograms will obviously command a higher price point diue to new regulations.

I've even got one accented with a carbon fiber rim to increase dump speed. I am going to try to get mike dechaine as my player representative for it.

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey done it again

They are not allowing Corey to rack as he wants to in the finals. Too bad they didn't do this earlier.

raypoitra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sad

pretty sad that every time a great player figures something out , be it breaking, racking, soft breaking, pattern racking, etc. ad people got something negative to say about it, as long as its legal, whats the problem?