CSI Presents...The Tiger Challenge: Dennis Orcollo vs. Jung-Lin Chang TONIGHT!

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Yup, I have a hard time with Chinese players' names as well. I'm used to seeing the top men play so it's not that bad, but I can never get the womens' names straight.

And I always have trouble remembering to say and spell Nick Ecomonopolous....or is it Economopolous? :confused:

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I trust ya'll hopefully know I mean no disrespect. I'm just pointing out cultural separation in pool that perhaps gets closer in time? (I've never been to Asia :( ) So many miles separate us.

Ok, I should go to bed before I get banned.

Last edited:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
On behalf of my all Asian brothers, I take no offense to your post.

And if you ever make it over to Japan, let me know and I'll take you places that will blow your mind... among other things.

But seriously, I've had a whole bunch of AZer's come through the last couple years and we always have a great time, except for this one guy named Black-Balled who waltzed in and tried to hustle us with the old, "I haven't played in months" line.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.. Taiwan is really good at pool!

Last edited:

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Way to go, Jung-Lin! These Taiwanese pros traveled a great distance for this tourney, I'm glad they did well and showcased their prowess in front of American pool fans.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, complete domination by the Taiwanese this time around.
With all the amazing talent right now between the Taiwanese, Filipinos, and Europeans, it looks like Shane is quickly becoming the only American capable of taking them on, and I wouldn't say he's much of a favorite against any of them.
I have said for yrs that the American pros who say there's no money in pool should be carful of what they wish for, because what's happening this week will be a regular occurrence if real money starts hitting the table

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have said for yrs that the American pros who say there's no money in pool should be carful of what they wish for, because what's happening this week will be a regular occurrence if real money starts hitting the table

Damn straight.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On behalf of my all Asian brothers, I take no offense to your post.

And if you ever make it over to Japan, let me know and I'll take you places that will blow your mind... among other things.

But seriously, I've had a whole bunch of AZer's come through the last couple years and we always have a great time, except for this one guy named Black-Balled who waltzed in and tried to hustle us with the old, "I haven't played in months" line.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.. Taiwan is really good at pool!
Hay! If you got a dose, you got it for free...

sascha

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have no problems at all with their names and have known them for years. i am from germany by the way, but i think the difference is most guys in the US just care about the names that show up in US Tournaments, so they only know the americans europeans and philippinos. i am glad i got all those phenomenal taiwanese matches before they got deleted from youtube hehe....watching all these matches and seeing the constant level of play over there would silence all those "shane´s the best in the world" sayers really fast....i am so sick of all those praisings and threads like he stands above them all. but thats not true. dont get me wrong, he sure is in the top 10 in my book but not the absolute nr 1.....i just say this: if all those taiwanese killers would play all those tourneys in the US shane would be lucky to win one. just take those names
ko pin yi
ko pin jung
chang yung lin
wu jia quing
chin shun yang
cheng brothers
hsu kai lun
chang yu lung
fu che wei
and there are more...;)

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have no problems at all with their names and have known them for years. i am from germany by the way, but i think the difference is most guys in the US just care about the names that show up in US Tournaments, so they only know the americans europeans and philippinos. i am glad i got all those phenomenal taiwanese matches before they got deleted from youtube hehe....watching all these matches and seeing the constant level of play over there would silence all those "shane´s the best in the world" sayers really fast....i am so sick of all those praisings and threads like he stands above them all. but thats not true. dont get me wrong, he sure is in the top 10 in my book but not the absolute nr 1.....i just say this: if all those taiwanese killers would play all those tourneys in the US shane would be lucky to win one. just take those names
ko pin yi
ko pin jung
chang yung lin
wu jia quing
chin shun yang
cheng brothers
hsu kai lun
chang yu lung
fu che wei
and there are more...;)

+1 Well said. Many more like Kuo Po Cheng, Wang Hung Hsiang. Amount of talent produced in future will be less as novelty of pool is is wearing off and less popular in Taiwan now compared to 1 to 2 decades ago. I mean why play pool when gamers who play video games like Dota2 can make $1 million each when they win major tourney :D

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member

agreed. especially if Barry Hearn is looking at the Asian market.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
At times, I feel so stupid. All of the 3 word Asian players throw me for a loop, I can't keep track!

While we are on the topic, many of us could probably use a good education on the name structure used in different Asian countries. In Taiwan for example (and many other Asian countries), I know it is customary to list the last name (the surname/family name) first when printed. So for Ko Pin Yi, Ko is actually his last name. In much of the rest of the world including the United States and much of Europe, if you see three names you know the format is first, middle, last.

So in Taiwan is the format last, first, middle, or is in last, first? In other words is Pin Yi his first name and it is just a two word first name, or is Pin his first name and Yi is his middle name? And even if Pin and Yi are first and middle names, is it customary in Taiwan to go by both your first and middle names when being addressed informally? If someone were talking to Ko Pin Yi informally, would they call him "Pin Yi" or "Pin"? The fact that they always list three names for someone in print makes me wonder these things, because in the United States for example it is most common to use two names and you never see three names written down (like Rodney Morris, or Johnny Archer as American examples of how only two names are ever really used in most print and it is obvious what their first name is).

So if anyone who truly knows how the name structure works for different countries andf can share I think it would be good knowledge for many. Thanks.

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's very easy to remember, it's the reverse of an american name :

Last Name then First Name
KO Pin-Yi
KO Ping-Chung
Chang Jung-lin
Cheng Yu-Hsuan
Yang Chin-Shun
Lo Li wen
Wu Jia Quing
Chang Yu Lun
Kuo Po Cheng

In some asian contries, the use of 2 word for first name is very popular, sometimes it's a middle name and a first name, sometimes it's a 2 word first name. Well you are safe to say it's 2 word first name for all the cases.

All and all, you can call the guy Ko Pin Yi ( asian way ) or Pin Yi Ko ( american way ), that's fine.

While we are on the topic, many of us could probably use a good education on the name structure used in different Asian countries. In Taiwan for example (and many other Asian countries), I know it is customary to list the last name (the surname/family name) first when printed. So for Ko Pin Yi, Ko is actually his last name. In much of the rest of the world including the United States and much of Europe, if you see three names you know the format is first, middle, last.

So in Taiwan is the format last, first, middle, or is in last, first? In other words is Pin Yi his first name and it is just a two word first name, or is Pin his first name and Yi is his middle name? And even if Pin and Yi are first and middle names, is it customary in Taiwan to go by both your first and middle names when being addressed informally? If someone were talking to Ko Pin Yi informally, would they call him "Pin Yi" or "Pin"? The fact that they always list three names for someone in print makes me wonder these things, because in the United States for example it is most common to use two names and you never see three names written down (like Rodney Morris, or Johnny Archer as American examples of how only two names are ever really used in most print and it is obvious what their first name is).

So if anyone who truly knows how the name structure works for different countries andf can share I think it would be good knowledge for many. Thanks.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Im 97% sure i know but ill leave it to someone 100%

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member

KO Pin-Yi
KO Ping-Chung
Chang Jung-lin
Cheng Yu-Hsuan
Yang Chin-Shun
Lo Li wen
Wu Jia Quing
Chang Yu Lun
Kuo Po Cheng

In some asian contries, the use of 2 word for first name is very popular, sometimes it's a middle name and a first name, sometimes it's a 2 word first name. Well you are safe to say it's 2 word first name for all the cases.

All and all, you can call the guy Ko Pin Yi ( asian way ) or Pin Yi Ko ( american way ), that's fine.

So to make sure I understand correctly, the Asian countries normally just use the first and last name in print, just like say Americans do, except that most first names in Asian countries are pretty much always two words? That being the case, I would also presume that they usually have middle names as well, and these just aren't normally used in print? And finally, I noticed that some of the first names are hyphenated, and some are not. Does the hyphen or lack of hyphen have any significance? Thanks.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
The confusion often goes both ways. I have spoken with Japanese pool fans that think that SVB's last name is "Boening" and his first name is "Shane Van"

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
So to make sure I understand correctly, the Asian countries normally just use the first and last name in print, just like say Americans do, except that most first names in Asian countries are pretty much always two words? That being the case, I would also presume that they usually have middle names as well, and these just aren't normally used in print? And finally, I noticed that some of the first names are hyphenated, and some are not. Does the hyphen or lack of hyphen have any significance? Thanks.

The hyphen has no significance. If fact, the Chinese do not use hyphens; this is a Western adaptation (prolly to signify which is the two part first/given name).

For anyone tht is Chinese (China, Taiwan, etc), the last name is always first. Chinese last names are always one syllable. The first name is mostly a two part name, starting with the middle name. Sometimes the first name is just one syllable.

For example:

Ko Pin Yi- Ko= last name, Pin Yi=first name/given name

-Pin Yi is the informal address, Mr. Ko is the formal address

If his given name was a single syllable, say, "Pin", then it would be Ko Pin

To use an American name as an example, lets say "Billy Joe Harkis" were to be put into a Chinese format. It would be "Harkis Billy Joe"

Clear as mud?

Eric >crappy explanation

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The hyphen has no significance. If fact, the Chinese do not use hyphens; this is a Western adaptation (prolly to signify which is the two part first/given name).

For anyone tht is Chinese (China, Taiwan, etc), the last name is always first. Chinese last names are always one syllable. The first name is mostly a two part name, starting with the middle name. Sometimes the first name is just one syllable.

For example:

Ko Pin Yi- Ko= last name, Pin Yi=first name/given name

-Pin Yi is the informal address, Mr. Ko is the formal address

If his given name was a single syllable, say, "Pin", then it would be Ko Pin

To use an American name as an example, lets say "Billy Joe Harkis" were to be put into a Chinese format. It would be "Harkis Billy Joe"

Clear as mud?

Eric >crappy explanation

That about sums it up. Nothing very complicated. Part of confusion probably is with use of terms "first name" "last name".
Better to use synonyms of "surname" or family name in place of "last name" and "given name" in place of "first name"
So eg. you ask them what is your surname or family name not what is your last name? once you know their surname or family name then just put the given name in front or at back depending whether you are in west or east :D

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member

KO Pin-Yi
KO Ping-Chung
Chang Jung-lin
Cheng Yu-Hsuan
Yang Chin-Shun
Lo Li wen
Wu Jia Quing
Chang Yu Lun
Kuo Po Cheng

Question: When - by example - Ko Pin-Yi bellies up to the dining table or bar with a good countryman friend - perhaps Cheng Yu-Hsuan - how does he address him - what name does he call his friend? And do foreigners follow the same protocal as good ettiquette?

This is a good discussion. :thumbup:

KK9 < ashamed he couldn't count to 1 in any Asian language

Last edited:

vincentwu817

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question: When - by example - Ko Pin-Yi bellies up to the dining table or bar with a good countryman friend - perhaps Cheng Yu-Hsuan - how does he address him - what name does he call his friend? And do foreigners follow the same protocal as good ettiquette?

This is a good discussion. :thumbup:

KK9 < ashamed he couldn't to 1 in any Asian language

A good friend would address him by his first name "pin yi"

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
The first name is mostly a two part name, starting with the middle name. Sometimes the first name is just one syllable.

The only part that I am not 100% sure on is the first and middle names. Above you say the first name is two parts (which means Pin Yi together would be the first name, it is just two words for the first name just like "Mary Kate" is Mary Kate Olsen's first name) but then you go on to say that the first name starts with the middle name (which is confusing because a name can't be both your middle and your first name at the same time--I don't think?).

So to clear it up, is Pin Yi together his first name, and he still probably has some other middle name that he just doesn't normally use and that we have never heard mentioned before? Like Mary Kate Olsen's real name might be Mary Kate Ann Olsen, but like most Americans she doesn't use her middle name normally.
or
Is Pin his first name and Yi is his middle name, and in that culture you just always use your first and middle names together and there is no other name on his birth certificate aside from that and his surname of Ko? I guess you could think of this either in terms of not having middle names at all, or just always saying and using the first and middle names together no matter what.

Hopefully I explained my question well enough. Thanks for lessons.

Last edited: