Cue tip glue

gbs52

Registered
I’ve tried lots of different brands of tip glues. IMO none compares to Mercury and it won’t be dried up in a short time. Check out their lid. It has a metal insert in it that sticks through the spout therefore seals to protect from dry up and also isn’t stopped up every time you need to use it Anyway it’s my humble opinion as I’ve been so frustrated with these CA glues except this one
IMG_4353.jpeg

Last edited:

gbs52

Registered
When I talked to them on the phone and mentioned loctite their quick response was that’s China made and won’t ever be fresh. I may give them another call fist to confirm. You will really like the lid deal.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I talked to them on the phone and mentioned loctite their quick response was that’s China made and won’t ever be fresh. I may give them another call fist to confirm. You will really like the lid deal.
I did a bit more looking and I don't think they are related as I had first thought. I imagine most of us here have experienced the build up of super glue in the cap that occurs on the super glue bottles. I take a pair of pliers and squeeze the clogged up cap a touch then dig out the dried up glue so it will seat again. Piss poor design for sure. I like it that they have addressed that annoying issue. Made in America is pretty rare these days so that's a bonus.
Thanks gbs52

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I used Super Glue Gel since it came out.
2 small tubes for $2.
Hard to beat.
NEVER had a problem.
Did house, cue tips for years also. Only time they might come off/might. Is if the cue was dropped flat on the hard floors.

gbs52

Registered
I have no dog in the race but just wanted to share my experience with these frustrating CA glues. Most are already dried up or near that stage and what little use you get from them is fight the clogged nozzle if you can get the cap back off. IMO this Mercury adhesive eliminates most or all of these issues I’ve had with all I’ve tried and that’s a bunch. And have not mentioned you get a lot more glue for your buck and you’re supporting our USA’s own working people. I hope if any of you try Mercury let me know your feedback.

gbs52

Registered
I used Super Glue Gel since it came out.
2 small tubes for $2.
Hard to beat.
NEVER had a problem.
Did house, cue tips for years also. Only time they might come off/might. Is if the cue was dropped flat on the hard floors.
I don’t know why but as you said if cue hits a hard floor flat off goes the tip

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know why but as you said if cue hits a hard floor flat off goes the tip

Shear force. The glue bust be pretty strong in compression but not in shear. I just had this happen a little over a week ago at a bar with tile floors. I bumped the bottom of my cue and it came out of the holder and timber she went. Slammed flat on the tile floor and the tip went flying, luckily it was my break cue and that was my last match.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I’ve tried lots of different brands of tip glues. IMO none compares to Mercury and it won’t be dried up in a short time. Check out their lid. It has a metal insert in it that sticks through the spout therefore seals to protect from dry up and also isn’t stopped up every time you need to use it Anyway it’s my humble opinion as I’ve been so frustrated with these CA glues except this one View attachment 743854

This is the same bottle Gorilla Glue Gel uses for theirs, just with a green cap. Same pin in the cap etc.

Does anyone experience with both in order to be able to compare effectiveness.

There are no stores in my area, so I would have to order from Amazon at $13. It is more expensive and is it really much more fresh, if it is sitting in the Amazon warehouse just like the others?

I have had great success with GGG. I stop using it for tips after two months as has been recommended by others. The unconditional warrantee for Mercury is great, but I would have to risk customer's tips popping off to prove it lasts longer. Is it worth it...

Note: GGG uses the same bottle for different ounces, so make sure you read the label to be sure how much you are getting.
IMG_7779.jpeg

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the same bottle Gorilla Glue Gel uses for theirs, just with a green cap. Same pin in the cap etc.

Does anyone experience with both in order to be able to compare effectiveness.

There are no stores in my area, so I would have to order from Amazon at $13. It is more expensive and is it really much more fresh, if it is sitting in the Amazon warehouse just like the others?

I have had great success with GGG. I stop using it for tips after two months as has been recommended by others. The unconditional warrantee for Mercury is great, but I would have to risk customer's tips popping off to prove it lasts longer. Is it worth it...

Note: GGG uses the same bottle for different ounces, so make sure you read the label to be sure how much you are getting.
View attachment 744176

I don't do customer tips so I just buy the little tubes (link below) and wait until I have more than 1 tip and then just use it and toss it. It's a bit over $2 a tube so not a big deal since I'm not worried about profit.

And in reference to the same bottle for different amounts, you also have to be careful when buying from Amazon. In the link above you'll see 1 pack is $8.74 while a two pack is $17.90 - or $8.95 per pack. In this case they happen to have the $ per ounce but they don't always show that. In other words, trust no-one :)

suharsh

Registered
Very timely for me ... I was trying to install at home (using Willard tool) an UltraSkin tip on an SST cuetec shaft but Loctite Super Glue doesn't work and neither does the FastCap 2P-10 - medium industrial strength super glue which I was told about by a professional cue repair guy. Both of the aforesaid glues have worked for me in past! I am going to try the Gorilla and the Mercury one. I don't think it is the SST shaft either because I just recently put a Elkmaster on another SST shaft.

Update: Got my gorilla glue from amazon and same issue. Now going to try the Mercury adhesive once I receive it. Also the other SST shaft to which I had put the Elkmaster also popped off! Clearly the issue is the ferrule on SST shafts!

Last edited:

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Very timely for me ... I was trying to install at home (using Willard tool) an UltraSkin tip on an SST cuetec shaft but Loctite Super Glue doesn't work and neither does the FastCap 2P-10 - medium industrial strength super glue which I was told about by a professional cue repair guy. Both of the aforesaid glues have worked for me in past! I am going to try the Gorilla and the Mercury one. I don't think it is the SST shaft either because I just recently put a Elkmaster on another SST shaft.

Update: Got my gorilla glue from amazon and same issue. Now going to try the Mercury adhesive once I receive it. Also the other SST shaft to which I had put the Elkmaster also popped off! Clearly the issue is the ferrule on SST shafts!
I do this.
Post in thread 'Buy UltraSkin Layered Cue Tips'
https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/buy-ultraskin-layered-cue-tips.542028/post-7234659

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
This may sound crazy but I don't even bother with the caps once they get crusty and the glue doesn't harden in the bottles.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
This may sound crazy but I don't even bother with the caps once they get crusty and the glue doesn't harden in the bottles.

Are you saying you just leave the bottle open with no cap and it lasts and stays effective? Does sound crazy. I will experiment with an out of date bottle.

How long do you leave it that way and still use it?

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
Are you saying you just leave the bottle open with no cap and it lasts and stays effective? Does sound crazy. I will experiment with an out of date bottle.

How long do you leave it that way and still use it?
Until it's gone. Mostly Bob Smith products

HoustonInt

Big John's Cue Repair
Silver Member

I’ve had very good luck with DAP adhesive for difficult ferrules.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk