Cue tip glue

kgoods

Consistently Inconsistent
Gold Member
Very timely for me ... I was trying to install at home (using Willard tool) an UltraSkin tip on an SST cuetec shaft but Loctite Super Glue doesn't work and neither does the FastCap 2P-10 - medium industrial strength super glue which I was told about by a professional cue repair guy. Both of the aforesaid glues have worked for me in past! I am going to try the Gorilla and the Mercury one. I don't think it is the SST shaft either because I just recently put a Elkmaster on another SST shaft.

Update: Got my gorilla glue from amazon and same issue. Now going to try the Mercury adhesive once I receive it. Also the other SST shaft to which I had put the Elkmaster also popped off! Clearly the issue is the ferrule on SST shafts!
Suharsh,
I had a similar experience with a SST shaft a couple months ago. Customer was using it for a break stick, he uses a different cuetec for playing. Wanted a Mako clear (just like a bulletproof) break tip. Put it on with epoxy as I usually do with break tips and came off after 5 breaks. So I put on another with a fiber pad this time as that has usually been the remedy in the past. That lasted for a week. So I told him to give it back to me and I'd take a closer look.

I was just going to replace the ferrule with phenolic but wanted to figure out what was going on so I decided to just put a phenolic plug on to make sure it wasn't a bonding issue with the SST ferrule material. I've never had bonding issues with these ferrules before though.

Turns out the capped ferrule had a huge hollow under the cap where the tendon was not quite long enough and/or not enough adhesive was used. Near as I can figure, the extra force of breaking with it was causing the ferrule cap to flex in the center, causing it to break the glue bond. Hopefully this picture shows it well.
20240217_133811.jpg

This was my fix and it's been going strong ever since.... sorry I didn't think to get a pic of the finished job but you get the idea...

20240217_140431.jpg

I made sure to use enough epoxy to fill all the gaps under the cap. Maybe not the best way to do it but it's working just fine. I'd normally just replace the whole ferrule but he was game to try this fix and I wanted to see if the hollow ferrule was indeed the culprit. So far it's looking that way.

suharsh

Registered
Suharsh,
I had a similar experience with a SST shaft a couple months ago. Customer was using it for a break stick, he uses a different cuetec for playing. Wanted a Mako clear (just like a bulletproof) break tip. Put it on with epoxy as I usually do with break tips and came off after 5 breaks. So I put on another with a fiber pad this time as that has usually been the remedy in the past. That lasted for a week. So I told him to give it back to me and I'd take a closer look.

I was just going to replace the ferrule with phenolic but wanted to figure out what was going on so I decided to just put a phenolic plug on to make sure it wasn't a bonding issue with the SST ferrule material. I've never had bonding issues with these ferrules before though.

Turns out the capped ferrule had a huge hollow under the cap where the tendon was not quite long enough and/or not enough adhesive was used. Near as I can figure, the extra force of breaking with it was causing the ferrule cap to flex in the center, causing it to break the glue bond. Hopefully this picture shows it well.

This was my fix and it's been going strong ever since.... sorry I didn't think to get a pic of the finished job but you get the idea...

I made sure to use enough epoxy to fill all the gaps under the cap. Maybe not the best way to do it but it's working just fine. I'd normally just replace the whole ferrule but he was game to try this fix and I wanted to see if the hollow ferrule was indeed the culprit. So far it's looking that way.
Ok that explains it all. I was using it for play tips only. I am not a fan of the SST shafts so I was intending to use for trying out different tips ... putting them on myself. Greatly appreciate the pictures and detailed information!

kgoods

Consistently Inconsistent
Gold Member
Ok that explains it all. I was using it for play tips only. I am not a fan of the SST shafts so I was intending to use for trying out different tips ... putting them on myself. Greatly appreciate the pictures and detailed information!
If yours was put together like this one I could see it breaking the bond even with playing tips. It was acting like a drum head and I can't imagine any glue could bond reliably with it moving like that. If you don't want to go as far as I did with the plug you could always just take the ferrule down to make it into a capless ferrule so you have a solid surface all the way across. Depending on how short the tendon is you'd only lose about a quarter inch or less on the length.