Cue Tip Size And Shape Effects

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's important to note that no one here is saying: “science” is a bad thing, nor has anyone said or implied knowing less = playing better.

That's nothing more than an attempt at playing the victim with patently false statements.

Lou Figueroa

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Wow....the hostility in this thread.........I did not see anything wrong with the video and it was informative for those not already in the know.

My only comment....without all the hostility is that....some.......pool players, Golfers, Tennis players, Gun Shooters, etc etc. are superstitious, finicky, picky, psyco, (whatever you want to call it) about their equipment......and perception is often way more powerful than science......so even though a dime may be scientifically correct in better contact.....the mental side of a player overpowers that and they may prefer a dime.

I suspect that in some cases a very good player may even think they have a nickel shaped tip but in reality have a dime....(or as Lou mentioned somewhere in between)

I watched a very good player play with a tip that literally looked like a cone....damn near came to a point.....he made everything and was able to spin the ball all over the place like Earl........I asked him...How did you come up with that shape of a tip......He said he did not purposely shape it that way....it just ended up that way over time and now he cant play with a flat tip.

Side note....has anyone else ever noticed the blue ring on Earls ferrule....I know he has a type of tip preference...but I wonder how picky he is about his tip shape.

jbart65

As someone who has only been reading AZB for a few years, I wish I could say I am shocked and surprised by the vitriol. I'm not.

Some longtime posters here are very grumpy and rarely have anything positive to say about anything. I've encountered that in a few of my posts as a relative newbie. It's life on social media, I guess.

I saw DrDave's video. What did I think? I "think" tip shape makes a bigger difference than his vid suggests. Can I prove it? No. Do I feel the need to prove it? No.

Could DrDave be right? Sure.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter to me. I am not getting a bigger or smaller tip.

I don't see the need to belittle DrDave. He is nothing if not polite when treated civilly and never tries to start fights.

If you don't agree with his analysis, you don't have to. But if you do, why is it so hard to just state your opinion and observations and refrain from personal attacks.

Really, it's not hard. Not hard at all.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I recently posted a review of some cheap tips I bought off temu. We can (probably) all agree that those tips play awful regardless of their shape.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And people ride my ass for being harsh. Whatever. I've stayed away from this fiasco. Some of these guys just need to go find an empty men's room and get this dick-measuring contest over-n-done with. DocDave puts out good stuff, don't have to go full fan-boy but don't have to crucify the guy either.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And people ride my ass for being harsh. Whatever. I've stayed away from this fiasco. Some of these guys just need to go find an empty men's room and get this dick-measuring contest over-n-done with. DocDave puts out good stuff, don't have to go full fan-boy but don't have to crucify the guy either.

I seem to recall reading a few years ago Stephen Hawking saying words to the effect that science would end up killing us all, AI, nuclear, biological, pool videos, lol.

Just to lighten things up here’s a mad scientist running amucked.

Lou Figueroa

I'd like to ask a question re: tip shaping but I've held back once the gloves came off. Please remember I'm a returning player with a little over a year back since the late 80's...yeah I have grand-children. We'll see if this gets me combat certified. FWIW: I've found Dr. D's vids very helpful and even found one of his hard-copy books on eBay, also worthwhile info for me.

Back to the question, layered tips did not exist as far as I know when I was last an active player. I have avoided doing much more than scuffing my new tips because I'm not sure what happens when you expose the laminate layers. Or even how to recognize them if you can. So, when I shape my layered tips what happens if the laminate layer is exposed, as a ring I assume, between the tip and the edge? Is this something to be given any consideration?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd like to ask a question re: tip shaping but I've held back once the gloves came off. Please remember I'm a returning player with a little over a year back since the late 80's...yeah I have grand-children. We'll see if this gets me combat certified. FWIW: I've found Dr. D's vids very helpful and even found one of his hard-copy books on eBay, also worthwhile info for me.

Back to the question, layered tips did not exist as far as I know when I was last an active player. I have avoided doing much more than scuffing my new tips because I'm not sure what happens when you expose the laminate layers. Or even how to recognize them if you can. So, when I shape my layered tips what happens if the laminate layer is exposed, as a ring I assume, between the tip and the edge? Is this something to be given any consideration?

I personally don't like layered tips for this reason, but I honestly don't think it is a important issue, assuming the exposed edges hold chalk and aren't delaminating (which I don't think are common problems).

I personally don't like layered tips for this reason, but I honestly don't think it is a important issue, assuming the exposed edges hold chalk and aren't delaminating (which I don't think are common problems).
Thank you. I've really resisted shaping these new to me layered tips because I just didn't know what to expect or look for.

Pubo

Sums up all of Dave’s equipment videos:

There’s minute differences in equipment that at the very core scientific theoretical level, don’t matter at all…

You just have to aim completely different with every shaft, tip, tip shape, tip diameter, and stroke perfectly on every shot for the person to actually perceive that they don’t matter at all.

No shit Sherlock. It’s a precision feel game based on muscle memory.

Every little detail in the equipment is going to change how a human shoots and perceives a shot. 90%+ of the information on these equipment videos doesn’t actually help anyone play better pool because his “conclusions” are so reductive.

I guess i just have a love/hate relationship with the good Dr. because I’m glad someone out there is attempting to figure out the behind the scenes stuff with pool but so rarely does his content on equipment lead anywhere productive.
if you are used to big diameter shaft and you just started to play with 10mm shaft, sure there will be a huge difference because you are not adapted to the new shaft. You need to aim at different spot (visually)and hit the ball with different speeds to get the same action. Because the shafts have different physical properties. If this is what you mean by the difference, then I agree. But as soon as you get used to the new shaft, there would be no difference in the sense that you get the same amount of action from the ball and etc.

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
Too many here beleive that this is the gospel and others force others to belive that this is. I've seen this here quite a few times. As i say the Fanboys will bully anyone that has anything to say against DD's principals and do it viciously. People need to devlope their own opinion on things.
I agree....like I said, if you folks want to debate the physics, knock yourselves out. The name calling is all I took issue with. Feel free to point out where the flaws are in this logic.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Too many here beleive that this is the gospel and others force others to belive that this is. I've seen this here quite a few times. As i say the Fanboys will bully anyone that has anything to say against DD's principals and do it viciously. People need to devlope their own opinion on things.
Dr. Dave has never, to my knowledge offered his content, as the end all be all. For that matter, he has never gone out of his way to initiate a personal attack on another member. If someone believes that Dr. Dave's content is "the gospel," it would seem to me that it's their problem, not his.
He's offering content on a pool forum, not giving medical advice.

Differing opinions are fine. Constantly harassing contributing members is not. I really fail to see the confusion here.
Best regards
j2

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’ve always used layered tips, reshaping frequently, with never a glue line problem.

pj
chgo

I’ve not always used them but I did use them for a long time. And, like you never had a problem with shaping, with scuffing or with delamination. The layered tips I have experienced were all quality tips and I don’t see any reason to be afraid of them. That being said, I did go back to solid tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk