DIY Cue Extension

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
Wanted to buy a lightweight cue extension but couldn't find one for less then $22 shipped so I figured I could just make one. Went to Lowe's and spent $9.13. The fitting was about 3.98 and I'll probably make a few more for friends just to cover the tape cost of 4.58. The hardest part was getting the first ring of foam tape into the pipe. Still took me less then 5 minutes to make. Had some velcro tape laying around at home and used it to fix it to my case. I used to have one of the black plastic extensions, but left it at a pool room, and always thought it was a bit too big for my liking and would slide off the cue occasionally on contact. This thing feels more solid then the other plastic extensions and never slipped even when struck hard. Just thought I would share...

Kai
as a former plumber, for 30 years,
i have to admire your creativity:thumbup:

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Any tips for installing the foam cushion?

It's hard to get in there and I end up getting adhesive on my fingers.....which ends up getting adhesive on the outer part of the tape.....which gets it on the butt of my cue....which then dulls the finish on the butt of my cue.

This should be easy. Why do I suck at this? Dammit.

sokaiba

1-Pocket Addict
Silver Member
Try cutting them into smaller pieces. I cut them into 2, but 3 or 4 would have been easier. If you cut them smaller you could also try using needle nose pliers to keep them from sticking to your fingers.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Now why didn't I think of that? I'll give it a shot.

Also, I could only find 3/16" medium compression foam weatherstripping tape, fwiw. I think it will still work fine, if I can just get the damn tape down in there cleanly.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I am 5'9" and the 18" tube I made is a good length. You could try 12" but why not go with 18", you probably wouldn't have to hold it near the end as I do.

Because a 12" reach like the Tony Ryan will fit in most case pockets and an 18" won't.

It would be easy enough to test out though. Just temporarily tape or tie a paper towel tube to the back of you cue to see if 12" will be enough for you. It Doesn't need to be on there secure enough to shoot with, just to test the length of reach.

One thing to keep in mind is that an 18" extension like a Hager for instance, does not actually produce an additional 18" in reach because the cue goes into the extension a way before coming to a stop and securing.

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
I have made 4 of these now. The 4th is mine and made it out of a different piece of plumbing. Unfortunately it is a fraction bigger than the other one and doesn't work quite as well. I just need to use a little thicker weather stripping and it'll be good.

The first three made to the OP specs works like a charm. I gave them away before ever getting to try them myself. In fact my buddy was thrilled to point out last night a shot where had used his.

Good job! Thank you!

Ken

Bustah360

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is something I'm gonna have to try out. I paid over $30 for my tony ryan extender and it sucks. Any grip even remotely half way down the extender and my tip bobs up and down making it damn near impossible for a steady straight stroke.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
This is something I'm gonna have to try out. I paid over $30 for my tony ryan extender and it sucks. Any grip even remotely half way down the extender and my tip bobs up and down making it damn near impossible for a steady straight stroke.

Obviously it's too heavy. I'm experimenting making my own & playing with it before I finalize it & I've found that even though a 'plastic' one balances 'okay', it still causes problems on certain shots but feels great on others. Obviously the lighter the better, or a heavier shaft to offset it. It is a work in the process.