Dominant Eye

WhatRobEats

Not as good as he thinks
Silver Member
I shoot for the majority of the time right handed. I am somewhat ambidextrous though, thanks Grandpa! So on any shots that I might have otherwise needed a bridge or behind the back shot I shoot left handed.

I am left eye dominate though. I wonder if there is a way to condition myself into making my right eye dominate or if it's just something that is the way it is and no changing. Maybe wear an eye patch for a month or two LOL.

Anyone know?

Taco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah but I shoot left handed so it shouldn't be any different. Do you shoot right handed?

Yes, right-handed. I think this has been discussed before, and it always ends with a shot of Mosconi shooting right-handed under his left eye. I've come to the conclusion that you either have it or you don't. A few do, some sort-of do, and many of us don't and never will. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

Best of luck to you.

Adam Brown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, right-handed. I think this has been discussed before, and it always ends with a shot of Mosconi shooting right-handed under his left eye. I've come to the conclusion that you either have it or you don't. A few do, some sort-of do, and many of us don't and never will. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

Best of luck to you.

So that is interesting. You have to shoot with your body across the whole cue almost. That comes back to I guess do whatever feels natural. If I try to shoot right handed I try to look down the cue with my left eye and it throws me off bad. My stroke also suffers while shooting that way.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your right........

I believe Gabe Owen is right handed and left eye dominant.

Gabe is a friend of mine and I showed him a little of how Perfect Aim works when i was in Oklahoma City.

He's left eye dominant if I remember right. .

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
opposite eye dominant is not a problem

I shoot for the majority of the time right handed. I am somewhat ambidextrous though, thanks Grandpa! So on any shots that I might have otherwise needed a bridge or behind the back shot I shoot left handed.

I am left eye dominate though. I wonder if there is a way to condition myself into making my right eye dominate or if it's just something that is the way it is and no changing. Maybe wear an eye patch for a month or two LOL.

Anyone know?

The problem is not knowing how to keep the dominant eye in the most dominant position.

Once you master this you can improve. Other wise it is kind of like running a race with a plow hooked up to you. trying to get these eyes there naturally from repetition takes a long time and many long hours.

Or you can just learn where they need to be from someone that knows. :confused:

It's called Perfect Aim.........

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It all depends..........

ok...now for the question...is it better to have the cue centered over your dominant eye or between both?

The more dominant your eye is the closer your eye will be to the middle of the cue ball.

Your eyes will tell you where this is by moving your head to the right or left depending on which eye is dominant.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I don't think you have anything to worry about. If it's natural, it's natural. Hard to fight nature.

I have a friend that plays pool left handed, but does everything else right handed. He writes, plays drums, skates, etc all right handed. Pool is literally the only thing he does left handed. I asked him about it before and he said it was just natural. The first time he picked up a pool cue it was the natural thing to do without thinking about it. I don't know what his dominant eye is, but he is ginger so maybe that explains it lol.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
You guys are over thinking this a bit much. I shoot rightie and am left eye dominant. The trick is aim with your non dominant eye
I think the real trick is to aim with both eyes. We are bestowed with two eyes for good reason. The important thing isn't which eye might be dominant or not. There is a lot of controversy concerning the importance of ocular dominance in pool. The important thing is to determine your individual vision center and always align this over the desired line of aim. For many people the vision center is exactly between the eyes, regardless of which eye is dominant or not.

Regards,
Dave

WhatRobEats

Not as good as he thinks
Silver Member
The problem is not knowing how to keep the dominant eye in the most dominant position.

Once you master this you can improve. Other wise it is kind of like running a race with a plow hooked up to you. trying to get these eyes there naturally from repetition takes a long time and many long hours.

So is that a product you are trying to sell?

I don't like it when people answer my questions with a product they are trying to sell. I fast forward through commercials on my DVR for a reason. You didn't even answer the question I had and instead gave me a commercial. Don't quote me with commercials please.

Last edited:

predator425

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dominant eye

Really glad someone started this thread because I am a perfect example and I would really like to here some feedback on my own situation.
I am naturally a right handed person and right
eye dominant but when I picked up a cue for the first time I picked it up with my left hand and that felt natural to me ,I was then 10 years old and now I'm 27 and pool is the only thing I do left handed.I consider myself an A player but at times I feel like I play like double A ,and I wonder if maybe being right eye dominant but playing left handed might be what's keeping me from playing beyond my expectations and sometimes I wonder just how good I would have been if I played right handed.
would like to here people's thoughts on this.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So that is interesting. You have to shoot with your body across the whole cue almost. That comes back to I guess do whatever feels natural. If I try to shoot right handed I try to look down the cue with my left eye and it throws me off bad. My stroke also suffers while shooting that way.

Wrong. There are stances that you can use to accommodate sighting under a cross-dominant eye. Players like that are certainly not doomed to a weaker game or stroke problems.

One option is to stand more parallel to your cue. It's not a perfect stance but it helps. There are other options but as an instructor I need to be one-on-one with the player in order to try them and see which one works best.

predator425

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dominant eye

I understand what your saying but can changing my stance really help or could it hurt me ,again I have been using my stance for 17 years now

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand what your saying but can changing my stance really help or could it hurt me ,again I have been using my stance for 17 years now

Old habits die hard. It won't be easy to change a stance after 17 years, but I would think it won't be easy to change anything after 17 years. But how can you expect to improve by doing the same thing? Isn't that the law of insanity?

predator425

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dominant eye

Don't take me the wrong way here ,I understand no risk no reward
I have put everything I got and then some into my game that I do have
just the thought of changing now scares me into thinking I might lose what I do have ,but I'm open to options and don't mind a challenge especially if it might change my game for the best

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a list of players, very much off the top of my head, who were held back in their careers by having their dominant eye be on the opposite side of their dominant hand.

Willie Mosconi, Cicero Murphy, Joe Balsis, Ralph Souquet, Harold Worst, Andrew Ponzi, Boston Shorty, Raymond Ceulemans (3-cushion), Ronnie O'Sullivan (snooker). Think what they might have accomplished if they had only worn an eye-patch or switched the hand they played with or stood with a different stance to the shot!

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't take me the wrong way here ,I understand no risk no reward
I have put everything I got and then some into my game that I do have
just the thought of changing now scares me into thinking I might lose what I do have ,but I'm open to options and don't mind a challenge especially if it might change my game for the best

That's right. There's a risk. It may not work out and it may take months of pain and suffereing before you are sure that it's not for you. Because first you have to break the old habit, so you don't really know if the discomfort is from that or because it's wrong for you.

That is why most players don't get past a certain point in their games. The process is frustrating, and they give up.

I've thrown out several changes I've made over the years. But I've also integrated several changes into may game that helped tremendously.

predator425

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dominant eye

Point taken but also there maybe a lot of things that have been presented to them that people like me will never know , like i said i feel like i play great but nothing like pro level
by any means ,you never know maybe more practice is all I need .

JTs cuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm really happy to see this post started, I know it's an important part of the game. I have never even bothered to learn what my dominate eye is left or right, Can some one tell me how do you tell what eye is your dominate eye, how do you find out......