Dominant Eye

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Point taken but also there maybe a lot of things that have been presented to them that people like me will never know , like i said i feel like i play great but nothing like pro level
by any means ,you never know maybe more practice is all I need .

Do you think the pros had this automatic inflow of correct information? No. They experimented. The thing about them is that they survived, mainly because they love the process.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm really happy to see this post started, I know it's an important part of the game. I have never even bothered to learn what my dominate eye is left or right, Can some one tell me how do you tell what eye is your dominate eye, how do you find out......

Aim a straight in shot with both eyes then close the right eye - does it look right?...then close the left eye...any difference?

Last edited:

Taco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm really happy to see this post started, I know it's an important part of the game. I have never even bothered to learn what my dominate eye is left or right, Can some one tell me how do you tell what eye is your dominate eye, how do you find out......

Extend your arms in front of you with your palms facing away.

Bring your hands together, forming a small hole by crossing the thumbs and forefingers.

Choose a small object about 15-20 feet away from you. With both eyes open, focus on the object as you look through the small hole.

Close one eye and then the other. When you close one eye, the object will be stationary. When you close the other eye, the object should disappear from the hole or jump to one side.

If the object doesn't move when you cover one eye, then that eye is dominant. The eye that sees the object and does not move is the dominant eye.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too am right handed, shoot left. I have always shot pool this way, before I knew even how to stroke a cue, so imo it is more than dominate eye issue, because who thinks like that the first time they pick up a cue? I am right eye dominate btw...

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too am right handed, shoot left. I have always shot pool this way, before I knew even how to stroke a cue, so imo it is more than dominate eye issue, because who thinks like that the first time they pick up a cue?

I agree with you. I don't think it's the dominant eye that tells a player to pick up a cue off-handed and play that way. However, if they happen to have a cross-dominant eye, it makes it even more challenging to change to the other hand.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
A person's rearend must be very important when making a shot, too.
I made a tricky little three-railer the other day, and one of the guys said I was shooting out of my ass. :smile:

doubletrouble

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
center

whether to center nose or dominant eye over cue seems to be what feels best. you tube video they say gabe owen is opposite eye dominant. he seems to lean well over to get his dominant eye over the cue. in videos of mosconi he seems to "lean over" much. possibility he may have been opposite eye dominant. mike sigel natural righty. seems to be left eye dominant.

DirtyJersey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shoot left handed and am right eye dominant. I find it very hard to aim like the aiming point keeps jumping around like I'm fighting between my 2 eyes for aiming point so I try to commit all shots to memory from a fixed stance n just go off instinct instead. Takes a lot of time. I had no idea this was an issue till I heard someone talk about it.

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
Eye Dominance

I play right handed and am left eye dominant and I had a discussion with an eye surgeon that was pretty interesting. He said that the dominant eye "control" of your aim is less of a determining factor in static situations because your brain can better compensate for depth issues by viewing the target and angles at rest. Where it becomes more difficult is when you try to aim at moving targets because your brain has to make split second guesses for the depth perception through both eyes. Oddly enough, I didnt even know I was left eye dominant until my late 20's and I was shooting skeet with said surgeon. Seemed to make sense at the time. I was always an average bird hunter but put a rifle in my hand and I could hit anything at most ranges.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Morning,

I was reading a post by hang-the-9 this morning ....Thanks, Adam

What a great way to start your day! :thumbup:;) I'm better than Frosted Flakes and Coffee.

I'm guessing it was the one where I posted that for many many years I was inconsistent with pretty simple shots and got a lot better with aiming when I moved my head a bit to the right.

I do not think I changed which eye, if any, I aim from, it just seems that my eyes and brain were lying to my hands about where to hit the ball from where I was looking at them. I think I focus on the contact point with both eyes. I still have lots of issues with shots, I'm hoping it won't take another 20 years to learn to play with a new stance, seems I still miss at least one ball a rack, even when I play position well to fall on it.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
What a great way to start your day! :thumbup:;) I'm better than Frosted Flakes and Coffee.

I'm guessing it was the one where I posted that for many many years I was inconsistent with pretty simple shots and got a lot better with aiming when I moved my head a bit to the right.

I do not think I changed which eye, if any, I aim from, it just seems that my eyes and brain were lying to my hands about where to hit the ball from where I was looking at them. I think I focus on the contact point with both eyes. I still have lots of issues with shots, I'm hoping it won't take another 20 years to learn to play with a new stance, seems I still miss at least one ball a rack, even when I play position well to fall on it.

Basically parallax works by causing the image to fall on the fovea of both eyes to try and feed the brain the same image..The fovea is a small part of the eye that specializes in visual acuity. It composes about 2degrees of the visual field so it is very very small in the overall size of our field of vision.... There are several physical limitations that can screw up a consistent image and even if you do not have the physical problems fatigue and eyestrain can cause parallax issues.... Double vision is an indicator that the eyes are not getting the image onto each fovea correctly and I would say 99% of us have had that happen at one time or another......

I will continue to suggest you call Geno because his benchmarks for getting into a strong dominant position have been tested by a bunch of players at this point and show to be good standard practice....

There are several reasons a strong dominant position is important but I'm late for a meeting so I'll just mention the one that has todo with your approach of using the contact point on the ball with both eyes... The dominant eye recognizes more colors and shades than the recessive.. Think shadows... If you are trying to pick out a distinct point on a ball and there are no real visual cues your eyes have to use the subtle differences in color to help focus on the point... If you know the dominant eye is better at this than the recessive doesn't it make sense to get "it" into the best position for the shot each time and then let the recessive eye adjust itself in to pick up the image on both fovea?

Gotta run,

Chris

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Opposite eye dominant causes a few problems but they can be overcome

This is my forte.

I teach players how to get the dominant eye in the most dominant position and keep the other eye from working like the dominant eye.

This is one of the main reasons that we miss a shot or get down on a shot and it just doesn't look quite right.

Get up and get down and miraculously it looks much better.

What happened is you just naturally got the dominant eye in a better position so your eyes worked together to envision the shot as good as humanly possible.

You can hit a million balls and get the eyes there naturally like most players do or you can learn how to get them aligned properly and be way ahead of the game.

Once the eyes are in the correct position the other parts of the game start seeming to work because you can visually see what is happening when you do this or that.

This is one thing that I specialize in and the Perfect Aim technique works for every person on the planet and it's so simple to learn.

Good Luck gene.......

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
... got the dominant eye in a better position so your eyes worked together to envision the shot as good as humanly possible.
Once the eyes are in the correct position the other parts of the game start seeming to work because you can visually see what is happening when you do this or that.
Gene has done a great job helping to increase the awareness of the importance of visual alignment in pool. IMO, "visual alignment" is the most important of all pool fundamentals.

I prefer to use the phrase "vision center" to refer the head and eye alignment, relative to the cue, that allows one to best visualize a shot. For some people, the "vision center" is aligned with their dominant eye (if they have one). For others, the "vision center" has the cue under their nose, or somewhere else between their eyes. Luckily, there are easy and effective drills for identifying and testing your personal "vision center." For more information and demonstrations, see:

"vision center" resource page
dominant eye resource page

Enjoy,
Dave

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The issue can be learned and fixed.............

Think of it a a jigsaw puzzle.

The pocket is where it is at. That will not change.

The object ball is where it is at. That will not change.

The cue ball is where it is at. That will not change.

You are the only thing that can change. You are the only thing that can make a difference on this equation.

If you get the dominant eye in the most correct position ( not just in position) you can envision the shot as good as humanly possible which is very good.

Just a 16th of an inch one way or the other and the brain is not getting the right picture.

I've proven over and over that this can be taught and players that can't seem to get any better take a huge jump in their ability to play the game immediately once this is accomplished. .

Just like with a jigsaw puzzle you can get a knife out and try to shape the pieces to fit where they really don't belong

OR

You can just figure out where the piece really needs to be. This way the colors even match up with the picture....

Up until I got this down to a science nobody had really figured this out Perfectly.

And i might not have it down Perfectly either but it's the best we got right now and the results speak for themselves. .

trying to fix the eyes by only adjusting the stroke or stance or other physical ways is like carving the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle to fit.

Once the eyes are in this most Perfect position you can see the shot and the brain will be getting the correct picture.

Just get the eyes in the correct position and things just start happening the way you want on the pool table.

What it's taken a lifetime to figure out any player can learn for a few dollars.

it don't get any better than this.

The answers are there for those that want them and seek them out.

Nick Vito said it best. For those that don't know he won the US one pocket championship in 2008 or 2009.

After his Perfect aim lesson his testimonial read.

If you want to play better pool just ship gene $200.00.

That's about as good as it gets.

The video is allot less.............