Ebony/amboyna burl combination?

hwest

Registered
Ebony/amboyna burl wood combination looks wonderful in cues, but i have never hit a ball with this kind of cue. Those who have how do you like the feel of such cue?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
personally I don't think you can feel the wood since so many other things affect how a cue hits ie tip/ferrule/joint just to start with
and of course the construction techniqies of the cuemaker
fwiw
my player is an amboyna forearm and ebony points with veneers and inlays
jmho

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ebony/amboyna burl wood combination looks wonderful in cues, but i have never hit a ball with this kind of cue. Those who have how do you like the feel of such cue?

If it's not cored, it's going to feel like ebony.

My Gilbert is cored. Feels better than great.

Freddie <~~~ luvs the look

roberthans

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ebony and amboyna

I love mine. I have a half amboyna burl and linen grip with an amboyna burl butt. The forearm is ebony with four amboyna points with three veneers w/b/w. I play with an 11.75 shaft.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure how they hit, BUT I was at Joe Gold's shop last week. I picked up a butt under construction and there was a crack in the amboyna forearm, I showed it to Joe and asked "how do you fix this?" Joe said no problem
took it over to the band saw and cut it into four pieces and tossed it into the trash can. All fixed!

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure how they hit, BUT I was at Joe Gold's shop last week. I picked up a butt under construction and there was a crack in the amboyna forearm, I showed it to Joe and asked "how do you fix this?" Joe said no problem
took it over to the band saw and cut it into four pieces and tossed it into the trash can. All fixed!

And presto, no more crack. Love it.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ebyde5y3.jpg

I got this one 8 days ago and i cant imagine better feedback than this cue provides.happy camper here;)

Sent from my MB632 using Tapatalk 2

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Depends on how the cue is constructed. I play with a 6-pie Ebony cue, weighs under 19oz. has Amboyna Burl points and butt sleeve, plays great. Sold another similar cue, one of the best hitting cues I have made. Have made others with 6-pie Purpleheart cores, these also play very well, very lively.