eyes during transition down

mristea

Pool maniac
Silver Member
Hello,

Thought to shoot a question regarding an issue that is bothering me lately.

What are usually the eyes supposed to do during transition down? Should they be fixed on object ball contact point? Or on the shot line? I know it's normally something personal for every player, but still what is a general rule of thumb?

Usually I am looking down the shot line during my transition down into stance. The first time I look at the cue ball is after my bridge hand is fixed into cloth.
But I noticed pretty often I am not aligned for the center of the cue ball (supposing I planned to hit the shot with center ball). Sometimes my bridge lands to the left of the cue ball. It's annoying to always correct this or re-start the landing etc.

Should I maybe look at the cue ball for a glance before touching the table with my bridge hand? I noticed SVB does this, but most of the other pros only look at the object ball until they fix their bridge into position...

Or any other solution for aligning correctly for center ball at the end of transition?

Thanks for any answer.

M.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
I think for the most part, you should be looking at the line. The first step of your process is to place the cue on the aiming line. If you aren't looking at the line, that becomes difficult to do.

Steve

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Hello,

Thought to shoot a question regarding an issue that is bothering me lately.

What are usually the eyes supposed to do during transition down? Should they be fixed on object ball contact point? Or on the shot line? I know it's normally something personal for every player, but still what is a general rule of thumb?

Usually I am looking down the shot line during my transition down into stance. The first time I look at the cue ball is after my bridge hand is fixed into cloth.
But I noticed pretty often I am not aligned for the center of the cue ball (supposing I planned to hit the shot with center ball). Sometimes my bridge lands to the left of the cue ball. It's annoying to always correct this or re-start the landing etc.

Should I maybe look at the cue ball for a glance before touching the table with my bridge hand? I noticed SVB does this, but most of the other pros only look at the object ball until they fix their bridge into position...

Or any other solution for aligning correctly for center ball at the end of transition?

Thanks for any answer.

M.

I keep my eyes fixed on the aiming point until I'm settled in my stance and lined up. Otherwise your effectively aiming with your eyes closed.

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
I don't think there is one way to address the cue ball and align the cue to the shot line. Nor is there one way you should be using your eyes during the ball address. Whatever you do, be consistent and accurate, never careless or sloppy.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
I don't think there is one way to address the cue ball and align the cue to the shot line. Nor is there one way you should be using your eyes during the ball address. Whatever you do, be consistent and accurate, never careless or sloppy.

Very good advice, not just for alignment, but for your entire game!

Steve

Siz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It helps to focus on the shot line - including where you are intending to hit the c.b. - before you make your final foot movement. Then, provided that your PSR is consistent, you should be able to look at the o.b. target as you get down without ending up misaligned with respect to the c.b. Usually works but sometimes you have to get up and re-set.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems logical to me that you should be watching the contact point all the way down and after you have arrived at your shooting position. Here is the why of it.

From the standing position you have something like an overhead view of the contact point and the OB line of travel. This standing position is useful for creating the line of travel for the OB relative to the perceived contact point.

The perception of the contact point changes as you bend over to the shot. That is, you see it from a slightly different angle. This contact point and the line of travel for the object ball must be firmly and accurately in your mind before you begin to line up the cue stick behind the cue ball.

Think of it this way. If you don’t know exactly what you are going to hit, how are you going to hit it?

I think that when the brain / mind knows exactly where the hit needs to be made the subconscious and its ability to control motor function can then accurately line up the cue stick.

When I am playing I construct the line of travel from the pocket to the object ball and behind the object ball for another foot or so. My eye then travels forward to the object ball. I stare at the contact point as I bend over and when I have arrived at the shooting position. Then I retrace the line from behind horizontal center of the object ball to the pocket because you only get the best view of this line from the shooting position. On a long shot I use an intermediate target about half way to the pocket and attempt to determine if the object ball will roll through the intermediate point to the pocket.

Then I am ready to place the cue stick on the exact line of travel.

I have learned that my shooting ability becomes inconsistent if I do not see the cue ball make contact with the object ball.

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
It seems logical to me that you should be watching the contact point all the way down and after you have arrived at your shooting position.

Locking the eyes on the target can cause problems. You may not be aware of close object balls or the cue ball and touch them inadvertently.

I think that when the brain / mind knows exactly where the hit needs to be made the subconscious and its ability to control motor function can then accurately line up the cue stick.

This is it in a nut shell.

The thing is that shots vary. Distance, cut angle, targets, other balls between the cue ball and the shooter, bridge type, and a number of other things. What might be of concern in one shot may not be a concern in another shot.

As your mind needs information about a concern, it will use your eyes to get the information it needs to deal with it. Your eyes may look at different things on different shots.

Remain focused on being aligned to the shot and target, and let the subconscious take care of what you look at and how you move and position yourself.