Ferrell aiming

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Yes, and he's pulling your leg.
He also said he uses different parts of the shaft.
And that different shafts have different aiming points.
Yeah, sure.
I bet he aims the edge of the middle of the shaft to the ball or spot.
How do you even see that ?
He also said contact point on the cue ball. Yeah, sure.
Aim a part of a shaft to the contact point while you are down.
Go ahead, let us know how that is done.

Try aiming the side of the ferrule on thin cuts.

Shane also will teach you his racking secrets for a few bills .

I can't read Shane's mind, but I can tell you that thinking about a different section of tip or shaft toward a target point will give you a dash of spin as it changes the approach angle through the cue ball, which can help you play the cue ball or cinch a shot.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I must be the poorest in the world at comprehension in reading.
Honestly, mister, I have absolutely no idea of what you just posted.
Is the word "bob" an acronym for "back of ball"....?
How can you possibly see the back of the cueball OR the object ball when down into shooting position? Talk about "guesswork".....man, this must be the ultimate.
I'm not trying to be pissy here toward your idea. I just don't get it. Probably my fault for being so dumb at this stuff.
Thanks for trying, anyway.

When the ball direction is going away from you, the front of the ball, the leading portion/face, is the part that's out of view. The back of the ball is facing you.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I must be the poorest in the world at comprehension in reading.

Honestly, mister, I have absolutely no idea of what you just posted.

Is the word "bob" an acronym for "back of ball"....?

How can you possibly see the back of the cueball OR the object ball when down into shooting position? Talk about "guesswork".....man, this must be the ultimate.

I'm not trying to be pissy here toward your idea. I just don't get it. Probably my fault for being so dumb at this stuff.

Thanks for trying, anyway.

No I didn’t really give much in the way of bob.

Sorry here’s a police sketch of him
e604870faf55c251743c873270351857.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
No I didn’t really give much in the way of bob.

Sorry here’s a police sketch of him
e604870faf55c251743c873270351857.jpg

When you look at a sphere the horizons edge is a little past the vertical center on the sides since our heads are above the balls....and they are spherical

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I've watched him like a hawk, live, with a small telescope zeroed in on his bridge hand quite a few times and he does lineup this way. But I believe in his final stroke he does not hit that offset spot as it will apply spin to the cueball as you said. I just can't see it because it happens so quick....if I knew how to put him in slow motion with this computer it would definfitely prove or disprove this.

I've experimented with the things put forth by the senior citizen wearing the short pants in the youtube video. I can't make it work like he says he does in the video without it adding spin to the white ball

During the experiments with this idea I've found the lining up with the edge of the ferrule idea works very good except, for me, after I've done this... I do a slight bridge hand 'shift' back into center ball....and the shot goes in the hole. Why this works...I have no idea. It just does.

(one of the recently departed from here, Spider, had a good saying....."Pool is an outcome based game, if the balls go in the hole that's all that matters to me...I could give a s*** less about the "WHY" of it all.)

It's still a form of loose 'guesswork' or 'estimation' to me and I gamble with tighter cards than that so I use another method which works better for me. Note I said "for me".

I think that's what all aiming techniques/systems come down to in the final analysis..."what works best for me, or for you, or for him/her", and so on. The techniques are kinda' like pool sticks....some work better than others for the individual using them.

:thumbup:

That’s just it it’s not an offset like you think.

It’s not even parallel like people speak about parallel English.

His shot line lies with the cue stick in it centered up through the intended spot (English or not) to the destination point.

Yes as Matt said you get spin but this spin is T.O.I/T.O.O it’s better described as canted not parallel and even the pivot is so small while standing it’s basically non existent because your pivot is like an inch but that’s where observation and the shot both come from.

The cuestick isn’t lined up through the shot at center cue ball unless it’s straight in or a 90 cut and your not using English.....which English is generally helpful in those and approaching that angle......fwiw

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
That’s just it it’s not an offset like you think.

It’s not even parallel like people speak about parallel English.

His shot line lies with the cue stick in it centered up through the intended spot (English or not) to the destination point.

Yes as Matt said you get spin but this spin is T.O.I/T.O.O it’s better described as canted not parallel and even the pivot is so small while standing it’s basically non existent because your pivot is like an inch but that’s where observation and the shot both come from.

The cuestick isn’t lined up through the shot at center cue ball unless it’s straight in or a 90 cut and your not using English.....which English is generally helpful in those and approaching that angle......fwiw

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
I disagree that this is the best way to aim. Firstly, obviously the side of the ferrule to the contact point only works in a limited range. Then, as the shot gets thinner and thinner, you end up aiming at noting, I fail to see how this is better than any other method. For the thicker shots (than can be made with the side of the ferrule) you need different spots on the ferrule tip with which to aim at the contact point. So you have to memorize a huge number of compensations or hit by feel, in which case it's no better than anything else.

If you want to aim something solid at something else that is solid, back of ball (quarter system) aiming is the way to go. For imaginary aiming there is all the others.

Back of ball to me is the same as contact point aiming..just on the table instead of ball. An why this is such a strong method, it puts you in a great position for everything. A system needs to have a solid connection. It's to tough to try to adjust for spin ..deflection if you can't tell if your thick or thin from the get go.

Last edited:

Jucas

Registered
When you look at a sphere the horizons edge is a little past the vertical center on the sides since our heads are above the balls....and they are spherical

This is interesting, but I am confused what it is showing...

When you say "the horizons edge" are you talking the edge of the ball? Or where the ball meets the felt?

In the diagram, the left side of the cueball is aligned with the "visual point (aka contact point?) or what?

It's interesting to me, just curious to know.

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now I understand what the "back of the ball" is...the side closest to you, the one that you see. And the side you can't see is the "front of the ball"
I thought it was the other way around.
Told you I was slow with this stuff..:smile:

Well I'm slower than you, because I've never heard of front or back of the ball.
I still don't get it. I understand from what's been said that the front is away from the shooter and the back is what the shooter see's. But what does that help to know that ?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Well I'm slower than you, because I've never heard of front or back of the ball.
I still don't get it. I understand from what's been said that the front is away from the shooter and the back is what the shooter see's. But what does that help to know that ?

I think it was only brought up because someone mentioned aiming at the back of the OB, and someone else thought that meant aiming at the far side of the OB, the portion you can't see from the cb perspective.

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
I always thought the front was the front and the back was the back.

Guess I had it backwards...

:confused:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I always thought the front was the front and the back was the back.

Guess I had it backwards...

:confused:

Lol. I don't know what the traditional or standard terminology is. I just figure if I were the CB headed forward toward the OB, I'd have to bump into the back of the OB to knock it forward also. I always thought back of OB aiming meant aiming directly at the OB, the portion you can see from standing "behind" the CB. I mean, it's impossible to aim at a point on the other side of the OB when you can't see that side.

Jucas

Registered
Lol. I don't know what the traditional or standard terminology is. I just figure if I were the CB headed forward toward the OB, I'd have to bump into the back of the OB to knock it forward also. I always thought back of OB aiming meant aiming directly at the OB, the portion you can see from standing "behind" the CB. I mean, it's impossible to aim at a point on the other side of the OB when you can't see that side.
But how does the reference greyghost's diagram?

If the B.O.B is the side facing you, how can you use the "the point in front seen in the edge/ event horizon of the ball observed back side"? What's the reference point on the table that you're aiming for?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

If the B.O.B is the side facing you, how can you use the "the point in front seen in the edge/ event horizon of the ball observed back side"? What's the reference point on the table that you're aiming for?

I have no clue....I don't understand the diagram with b.o.b. written on both sides of the ball (front and back). But I know I never ref any aim point on the table itself. When using fractional aiming, I aim at a point on the OB, from straight-in to a 1/2 ball shot. On thinner than 1/2 ball I aim outside the edge/outer surface of the OB using my tip/shaft to guage the cut and the edge of the ob as a reference. Even when using ghostball I look straight through the ghostball to use the OB as a reference instead of a spot or certain location on the table itself.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Ohhhh but what about imaginary back of ball!

You re a bad Boy Ed! :) :grin:

(all are lookin funny at me, while i m searching the back of the ball.....running now numerous times around the ball... :p )

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member

Jem- just have a look at Joe Tuckers "Aiming by Numbers"-- this is nothing but the *back of the ball* method (or System, or however we may call it).

Some humans can take an Advantage from it, because helps them to visualise in a different manner. That s it. It helps you to find also contact Point between cb and ob.

Hope this helps a bit :)

best from overseas

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If your cue ball actually has an "event horizon" then you've got bigger problems to worry about!

Seems to me the front of the cue ball is the side you are looking at, even if it is traveling away from you. We had a big argument, as usual, over this awhile back. On the other hand I always seem to confuse "itch" and "scratch" as in, "I itched a scratch on my arm" so don't go by me! :thumbup: