Fusco's The Spot (smoking allowed - nasty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about the stupid ass drinkers? They smell and are obnoxious and kill our families
Go somewhere you KNOW they smoke just to ***** about the smoke
In not calling all drinkers stupid and I don't appreciate being called stupid because I smoke :mad:

I'm not saying this applies to you. Your just being lumped together

When you get lung or throat cancer you'll be calling yourself stupid
Burn marks all over the pool table
Dumping ash tray on the street when stopped at a light
You can buy cheap a car for what cigs cost a month

A co-workers wife developed Emphysema and Bronchitis from smoking. She said" as soon as she gets off this oxygen tank she's going back to smoking"

So yea your right it's not stupid, it's a choice. Different views for different folks

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don , we appreciate your feedback and apologize for your experience.

We are and have been a smoking /byob establishment (private social club) since we opened in 2006 and make no attempt to hide this information from the public.

In hindsight it would have been much better if we had atleast a designated Smoking/nonsmoking area set up at the time we moved into this location.

I can say your not the first nonsmoker to not enjoy the atmospheric conditions at times on a busy weekend night.

Unfortunatlly , At this point it wouldnt be possible to properly "quarantine" an area away from the smokers with the 25'ceilings and a 100 ' long building. We do have scented odor control devices in effect as well as 10 smoke eaters to help out as much as possible.

Its a shame cause i know your a player and we have plenty of worthy competition here to accommadate you, If i could persuade you to try it during the day i can say its not even close as "smoky" in here compared to a saturday night, but still a decent day crowd non the less. Once again thank you for your feedback and good luck.

Make it non smoking before 6pm and you have yourself a daytime customer. ;)

Tronpocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make you a deal, come in one day and if you can run 100 on table 18 ill build you a personal ,hermetically sealled" bubble boy" enclosure around the table.:winknudge:... with the stipulation you come once a month and i can charge customers to watch you. :wave::yeah:

fish on

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pa smoke loophole?

We are and have been a smoking /byob establishment (private social club) since we opened in 2006 and make no attempt to hide this information from the public.
In hindsight it would have been much better if we had atleast a designated Smoking/nonsmoking area set up at the time we moved into this location.
I can say your not the first nonsmoker to not enjoy the atmospheric conditions at times on a busy weekend night.
Unfortunatlly , At this point it wouldnt be possible to properly "quarantine" an area away from the smokers with the 25'ceilings and a 100 ' long building. We do have scented odor control devices in effect as well as 10 smoke eaters to help out as much as possible.
Its a shame cause i know your a player and we have plenty of worthy competition here to accommadate you, If i could persuade you to try it during the day i can say its not even close as "smoky" in here compared to a saturday night, but still a decent day crowd non the less. Once again thank you for your feedback and good luck.

At least you put a pretty smell onto the poison! LOL

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice professional response. I live in Ohio so I'm not familiar with your room but it looks really nice!

I agree, it was a good one.

I growded up in poolrooms that were cloudy and I do prefer non-smoking, though I can spend an occasional day in the cloud.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Whah...Whah

So I spent a few hours at Fusco's The Spot and when I got home I couldn't tell if I smelled like smoke or not.

https://www.facebook.com/Fuscothespot?rf=119959904685946

After I showered it was clear. I stank like a dirty wet sock. I guess smokers don't notice/care since their sense of smell is already impacted.

I think I'm done with that place, at least until they make a no-smoking poolroom.

It's a shame, good people and equipment, unfortunately it comes at a cost...carcinogens and nasty smell.

Time to find another room...thankfully most get a clue and don't allow smoking. ;)

Many pool rooms are closing and you bad mouth Pete Fusco's room on a public forum. You knew it was a smoking room when you went there! Tough shit...try using soap when you shower...or go somewhere else!

Wedge

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About 24-5 years ago, one of the Loree Jon Family Billiards rooms was opened in Hillsborough, NJ as a non-smoking pool room. Very different at that time when smoking was still acceptable in most public places. The second night after the opening, I saw a friend who said he went home the previous night after the Grand Opening. His wife asked where he had been. He said he was at a new pool room. She sniffed his shirt and said, “No, you weren’t!”

In the “good old days”, I used to keep a set of pool playing clothes in the garage that I would put on as I left for the pool room. When I got back each evening, I would change out of the clothes before entering the house and would shower immediately after I entered. You could never completely wash out the odor, but you could get to tolerable. I don’t miss those smokey rooms at all.

Bassmaster

Gone Fishin
Silver Member

I agree great answer..I too enjoy the non smoking atmosphere...But also believe in freedom of choice...

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
About 24-5 years ago, one of the Loree Jon Family Billiards rooms was opened in Hillsborough, NJ as a non-smoking pool room. Very different at that time when smoking was still acceptable in most public places. The second night after the opening, I saw a friend who said he went home the previous night after the Grand Opening. His wife asked where he had been. He said he was at a new pool room. She sniffed his shirt and said, “No, you weren’t!”

In the “good old days”, I used to keep a set of pool playing clothes in the garage that I would put on as I left for the pool room. When I got back each evening, I would change out of the clothes before entering the house and would shower immediately after I entered. You could never completely wash out the odor, but you could get to tolerable. I don’t miss those smokey rooms at all.

But in 2014 we have the research that shows the effect of second hand smoke on people who do not even smoke.

The other thing is there is air flow technology, smoke eating equipment that if owner want to be friendly to al patrons. Smokers, and non smokers, they only need pay the price of the new technology.

Alexander in Phoenix, the famous Pool Bar had smoke eating fans, that would have worked better if management would have service the devices. But when you went into Alexander's, you got the full effect of the smokers.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
Out of all the things wrong with the world today, you pick this OP? You knew it was a smoking hall when you walked in then you shame the owner on a public forum for YOUR distaste?

Jesus Christ....

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Make you a deal, come in one day and if you can run 100 on table 18 ill build you a personal ,hermetically sealled" bubble boy" enclosure around the table.:winknudge:... with the stipulation you come once a month and i can charge customers to watch you. :wave::yeah:

Is this offer open to everyone or just the OP?

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's a smoker friendly business don't go in, it's that simple. The room I go to is a smoker friendly room and that is the customer they cater to. The owner brought up the idea of making half he place non-smoking and the staff said they would much prefer to remain all smoking. According to the staff the non-smokers don't spend as much or tip as well.

Tronpocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to clarify somthing about our establishment,
We are not a bar ,we serve no alcohol, nor are we a resturaunt , altho either can allow smoking or a smoking section indoors if the food to alcoholic beverage ratio in sales meets a certain requirement .

We are a private Social club , that since day 1 everyone has to sign up and become a member, (2$ one time fee,lifetime membership, 35000 members so far) to use our facility.
Which besides allowing you to enjoy one of the nicest pool rooms in the country, also includes the privilege to do some things that are under most circumstances prohibited in a puplic place by state law,
In this case ...smoking and byob, as well as we are allowed to stay open till 4am. Bars still close at 2 here.
Not much more to it.
It was not petes intention to create this room as a big F U to nonsmokers and the state of Pennsylvania .
Like i said ,in hindsight it wouldve been nice to accommodate everybody.
We appreciate our supporters and apologize for not being able to accommodate all pool players.
There are other nice nonsmoking rooms in the area that are available, we all know each other and we all have our "niche" in this. Nobody's out to put one another out of businesses .
We have lost 4 rooms in our area in the last year, both smoking and nonsmoking .

Joe T

There's no arguing about the smoke thing. I was there today for the first time and it has great equipment, people and atmosphere. I smoke but prefer non smoking rooms also. They do a real good jobs with the high ceilings, fans etc. Don't blame you for choosing not to go but I wish you wouldn't go out of your way to hurt their business, the place is a gem.

CueNut40

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Soap wont wash the second hand smoke from his lungs. Plus when some one takes a shot of whiskey the person beside them doesnt get second hand drunk.

Last edited:

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Soap wont wash the second hand smoke from his lungs. Plus when some one takes a shot of whiskey the person beside them doesnt get second hand drunk.

Thousands are affected by drinkers every year. I had a junky complain about me smoking at the local room and this guy never spends a dime in the place. I've also noticed that the ones who complain about the smoke at the poolroom spend less, or in some cases, never spend a dime. Maybe we need the government to spend a few million on this research. Maybe its time for the Government to ban alcohol since only negative things come from drinking it, including death to others who don't drink.

kiddcutty

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand. Half of AZ seems to want to walk into a place and have nothing but the Brady bunch in there playing pool when in fact the games roots are drinking, gambling, smoking, and deceit. The "danger" aspect of the game is what initially gravitated me towards it in the beginning. Only to find out that there's a much more ingenious part of the game that few can actually accomplish. It is a game that requires thousands of hours to even feel comfortable at. I can understand the health issues that can come from second hand smoke and support non smoking rooms. I personally smoke but hate smoking rooms. But I don't go there to smoke. I go to play pool.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I get it that non smokers hate smoking and rooms that allow it & you have that right. The thing is prior to states banning smoking in bars, restaurants, pool rooms etc a few years ago for most places the fact is all rooms I've ever been in prior to these bans were smoking rooms, always were, it just came with the territory so I never gave it much thought, it doesn't bother me.

Status
Not open for further replies.