Gentlemen Moves

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the 3 things I always try and do whether matching up or in tournament play are:

1) A handshake before play begins... Kind of bugs me when people don't do this...

2) Some sort of acknowledgement to my opponent when I get obviously lucky... A hand wave or something...

3) A handshake after play is done... I am shocked how many people refuse to shake hands after a match is over...

Interestingly enough, the handshake issue came up in the very first tournament of Bigtruck's I ever played in in Waco where one of the locals refused to shake my hand after I won the match...

I'm ok with the fist bump too, especially during cold season.

I never wish my opponent good luck. I will say, "shoot em good". Either way it's just a courtesy because no one ever really means it.

The finger snapping has been a tradition for quite some time here in Finland and across Europe as well (as far as I know...). It's a nice way to acknowledge a good shot without too much of an interference...

I like this. I know a few here have said this. snap snap snap to you.

Ray

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my oh my.....

.....you guys are sure persnickety; like Minnesota Fats once said, "Maybe you all should play in a wax museum.."

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Different games and different players will dictate how serious and well behaved you should be. Exercise good judgment. You don't always have to act like a mute statue when not shooting.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
.....you guys are sure persnickety; like Minnesota Fats once said, "Maybe you all should play in a wax museum.."

My thinking is this.....

If I win, I won on my skill at the table. Not because of a shark move. I want your best game. Then if I win I did something.

Nothing more gratifying than winning against a player that played well.

Different games and different players will dictate how serious and well behaved you should be. Exercise good judgment. You don't always have to act like a mute statue when not shooting.

I agree with KK9 too.

Ray

Druid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For non-smoking pool rooms... If you are in the middle of a set, don't go out for a smoke break or even ask for one if the person you are playing is a non-smoker.

Agree on headphones being very annoying. Go play with yourself if you are so insistent on tuning out the rest of the room.

And yeah, never argue that you didn't foul when you know you did.

InTheCloudzzz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The worst thing in my mind is playing someone who expects the pool hall/room to be as quiet as a freakin' library where no one speaks while they are shooting, no one moves while they are shooting, etc. Damn people, learn how to concentrate and focus a little bit!

Ryan Malley
Meridian, MS

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
The worst thing in my mind is playing someone who expects the pool hall/room to be as quiet as a freakin' library where no one speaks while they are shooting, no one moves while they are shooting, etc. Damn people, learn how to concentrate and focus a little bit!

Ryan Malley
Meridian, MS

For someone with the screenname "InTheCloudzzz", that's pretty ironic! :D

-Sean

champ2107

Banned
I'm ok with the fist bump too, especially during cold season.

I never wish my opponent good luck. I will say, "shoot em good". Either way it's just a courtesy because no one ever really means it.

I like this. I know a few here have said this. snap snap snap to you.

Ray

i say "have a good one"

Lance Link

Banned
My thinking is this.....

If I win, I won on my skill at the table. Not because of a shark move. I want your best game. Then if I win I did something.

Nothing more gratifying than winning against a player that played well.

I agree with KK9 too.

Ray

Tap, tap, tap...

neal916

What can brown do for you
Silver Member
Oh, almost forgot the other huge one!

When you're walking through the pool hall, do NOT just walk past someone in the middle of their shot. Nothing is more freaking distracting to a player! Stop and wait out of their sight line.

Oh man! Thas huge, I hate when other players are coming down the middle and then they see you cue-ing but instead of moving outside of you vision they just stand still and stare.

I've learned better now, i'll just get up and re-chalk and re-evaluate the table in which time the person usually leaves.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member

Ryan Malley
Meridian, MS

Ryan,

I hate it when it's dead quiet. I like some chatter, noise and music. It's when my opponent is chattering that I don't like. Even if it's innocent, it gives the impression of impropriety.

The most common shark move is the "loud talker" who chatters to his rail buddies the entire game. When he's not in a match you never hear him. :thud:

Ray

champ2107

Banned
my wife distracts me the most lol shes like a cheerleader on the rail and tries reassure me after a miss! i just need to be in my own world when im in tough and then im gtg!

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the finger snap "After" the last ball of the game is down.
I used to gamble with a man who would cuss you and tell you how lucky you were all day long , but at the end of the day if I won he would pay and say great shooting or damn you played great today.
That was about as good as it gets in my experience , and was always satisfying to walk away with that acknowledgement when I played well enough to win. When I lost I never liked it , but I tried to be as gracious as he was and say, great game or you played like a pro today.
I try to do the same thing with my opponents, sadly after I win and get a "Your the luckiest guy that ever lived , you should play the lottery, I only have a limited amount of great games for them, before I
start doing what they do.
Hopefully tomorrow I will start a new procedure and I will not let anyone take me to that level and it will help us both be better gentlemen.
Great post

poscdr09

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am only 24, so I don't "officially" know the old-timer rules, but I definately agree with what you are all saying. Proper table etiquette is essential in my eyes because while some people may not like that you beat them, they're more than likely going to respect you if you act like a decent human being.
Bear in mind I have been playing golf since I was 6 years old, with course etiquette being drilled into my skull before I knew what it meant. I think etiquette in golf and pool have similar basic points based on integrity, good sportsmanship, and respect for your fellow players and the game itself. For me at least, it makes playing more fun, win or lose, when I know I will get along with whoever I am shooting with.

BTW... I absolutely HATE when someone misses and then sits at the table and chalks their cue.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the western BCA championships, it pretty much is...Cell phone ringing means Ball in hand for your opponent.

In the "Eastern" anything (anything on the east coast -- especially the Northeast / New England areas), if that cell phone rings enough times, forget "ball"-in-hand. Make that "balls"-in-hand as you back him up against the wall and threaten to make him a eunuch right then and there, unless he turns his cell phone completely off and leaves it off for the duration. Knife not needed -- this will be a plucking removal. :mad:

-Sean

rayshooter22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This one is interesting

Don't take the only piece of chalk and start chalking your cue after you've just missed a shot. Leave it on the table for your in coming opponent to use during their turn.

I find this etiquette rule amongst pool players kind of interesting. Assuming there are 2 chalks of course. Pool Players find it very rude to keep one chalk with you (generally) and leave another on the table. Where as in carom billiards, it's considered bad etiquette to leave chalk on the table. Billiard players prefer to carry their own chalk and keep their piece with them, while the other player does the same.

I don't think too many pool players carry their own chalk, and those that do are very particular about it, as am I. I prefer to carry my own chalk, and keep it with me. If I see there is no other chalk on the table, I'll go to the bar and grab a cube for my opponent. That way there's no confusion about what belongs to whom.

As far as congratulating opponents for a good shot. I think a simple 3 clicks of the chalk cube against either your shaft, or your chair is very polite and courteous. It lets the player know you appreciate the shot without really disturbing their overall concentration. This too is taken out of the billiard handbook if you will. But I doubt that many pool players will go to the extent that some of the Korean billiard players do and stand up and add a bow with their 3 clicks!! :D... I think alot of pool players have used the famous snapping of the fingers to do the same thing. I don't mind that either.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I think we are getting more into sharking than etiquette with some of the replies. As far as sharking is concerned I consider it a test of my focus to play well despite the distractions. Once I started doing that I quit getting mad over every little thing and THAT improved my game allot.

Etiquette; To me this just means having some general manners. Be polite and treat people with some respect and treat the game with some respect. Above all respect yourself and don't lower yourself to sharking. Don't gamble with those that employ these techniques, if they don't get any action, that will make them want to change their game.

Have some fun after all, thats why most of us started playing in the first place.

The Schwartz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say "nice shot" all the time. Didn't know it was such a no-no! :sorry: Maybe I'll tone it down a little bit but damn, some shots are so flat-out amazing I can't help going "Holy CRAP, what a SHOT!!!" :eek:

I do hate it when my opponent stands in front of the pocket I'm shooting at. I rarely say anything though. I do my best to be immune to sharking. If the guy is doing all he can to get me off my game and I'm still sinking balls like he's not even there, it can be pretty demoralizing.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
The Schwartz;2830860 I do my best to be immune to sharking. If the guy is doing all he can to get me off my game and I'm still sinking balls like he's not even there said:
Exactly! That's the perfect attitude.