How do you aim bank & kick shots?

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Exactly, now you understand.

But John...

Sam is basically asking for 'help' in finding a good method or system.

I don't think he is asking for something that he has to figure out what's supposed to be going on.

Best Wishes.

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sam - have you watched tor Lowrys videos yet? Another poster recommended them. Amazing stuff to be offered for free on YouTube. I would highly recommend watching if you haven't yet

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Sam - have you watched tor Lowrys videos yet? Another poster recommended them. Amazing stuff to be offered for free on YouTube. I would highly recommend watching if you haven't yet

Hes got a few on yt but I haven't seen the really indepth ones

I posted the bugs ruckker that is the entire video on yt for free
Hope he looks at that one atleaste

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do I aim banks?

Attachments

• I Don't Shoot Banks That Often.jpg
    I Don't Shoot Banks That Often.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 305

SamLambert

Daydreaming about pool
Silver Member

Haven’t watched them yet! At the pool hall trying stuff right now (Joe Tucker Racking Secrets!). Will watch them tonight for sure!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
For bank shots I used to picture a table twice as wide/long and aim for the far pocket.
Visualizing mirror images of the table and balls is the basis for several banking/kicking methods - it works in theory (as a reference) for any number of rails. The pics below show how to visualize mirror image three-rail paths to the corner pocket (solid line = actual path; dotted line = mirror image path).

Of course the ball will rarely if ever follow the perfect equal-angle mirror path, but it can be a useful fixed reference for comparison and estimation.

pj
chgo

View attachment 52854
View attachment 52860

Attachments

• mirrored 3--rail B.jpg
    mirrored 3--rail B.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 388
  • mirrored 3--rail.jpg
    mirrored 3--rail.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
But John...

Sam is basically asking for 'help' in finding a good method or system.

I don't think he is asking for something that he has to figure out what's supposed to be going on.

Best Wishes.

He got help. He can try all the systems presented and keep the ones he likes best. Some are more advanced than others and might be something he should try when he has advanced more as a player.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I always love when the elitist chime in.

Everyone needs to start somewhere and starting with a good foundation is better then just winging it.

You will learn a lot more and a lot quicker having someone guide you than you will sitting at the table trying to figure this stuff out yourself. Eventually you will learn it on your own by winging it, but why not have some one that has been there and done that teach you in a 1 hour video or short explanation than you spending days at the table trying to figure it out for yourself.

I personally would recommend Tor's stuff. I would also recommend Dr. Dave's material.

Elitist! Thanks for the complement! Lets test out just how "Elite" and play some banks... I got ALL my info from being at the table playing and watching and asking... THAT'S WHERE YOU USED TO HAVE TO START.. NOT ANY MORE.. ALL of that same info is ALL over the web... I'm ready when you are..:)

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hes got a few on yt but I haven't seen the really indepth ones

I posted the bugs ruckker that is the entire video on yt for free
Hope he looks at that one atleaste
Tor has an advanced secrets video on there. It is about 3 hrs long and we'll worth a watch

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
For bank shots I use Tor Lowery's Zero-X method and now feel quite confident in shooting a bank shot. However, I haven't spent enough time with his kicking method to be able to perform it in a reasonable amount of time during a match, so I mostly go by feel.

For two-rail kicks I use the simple "shoot the angle to the corner pocket from the center of the distance between the OB and the CB." Like all good methods, after a while you can instinctively see the "lines" on the table and have confidence that you'll hit the ball. Three-rail kicks are just an extension of that method.

I should spend more time learning the Zero-X two and three-rail kicking method...but there are a lot of things I should spend more time on.

PS -- If you don't think the OP's question is legitimate, then move on to another thread. What is accomplished by berating the OP? I don't give a hoot who anyone thinks will win the U.S Open, but I don't troll those threads telling them that.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Nice Post!

PJ,
Nice post. I usually do fairly well with my cue ball path estimation but that came in time, had I known this visualization, Im sure it would have come sooner. Nice post.

Visualizing mirror images of the table and balls is the basis for several banking/kicking methods - it works in theory (as a reference) for any number of rails. The pics below show how to visualize mirror image three-rail paths to the corner pocket (solid line = actual path; dotted line = mirror image path).

Of course the ball will rarely if ever follow the perfect equal-angle mirror path, but it can be a useful fixed reference for comparison and estimation.

pj
chgo

View attachment 52854
View attachment 52860

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
The Invisible pool table.

I used to shoot with a guy that used that invisible mirror pool table to calculate banks. TBH , he made quite a few so I guess it worked for him.
I never thought it practical since I played yrs ago on tables that were shoe-horned into the corner of a bar . You were lucky to get stroke on a rail shot let alone "mirror" a fake 2nd pool table.

At any rate: Tor's stuff is golden, its akin to what the PRO's use. My dad taught me "the diamond system" (his way) lol. Took me a year to remember it when I came back to the game. Pretty fool-proof b/c it teaches you when to use speed, and when not to. Also you learn the importance of angles.

Again, Tor's vids are the closest I have seen to it; I just don't have to use my cue-stick.

CJ puts out a good banking vid too, more about the fundies than his TOI.

The BEST bank system is the one that works best for YOU, and is easiest to understand.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I used to shoot with a guy that used that invisible mirror pool table to calculate banks. TBH , he made quite a few so I guess it worked for him.
I never thought it practical since I played yrs ago on tables that were shoe-horned into the corner of a bar.
You can visualize a mirror image table even if there's no physical room for it - just takes a little imagination. But it's not for everybody or every situation - I only use it on certain kinds of shots, sometimes only as a "second opinion".

pj
chgo

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i also look at multiple sources, i may not get a handle of what one person is teaching, but seeing different things different people are saying is good for me

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also got a real kick out of watching & learning from Freddy the Beard.. his book once learned, along with his video too & you'll be banking them balls in right nicely...

Learning banks is fun, but learning also has to be massaged by applying the modifications needed to make the bank that is slight off track.

Banks

Banned
I also got a real kick out of watching & learning from Freddy the Beard.. his book once learned, along with his video too & you'll be banking them balls in right nicely...

Learning banks is fun, but learning also has to be massaged by applying the modifications needed to make the bank that is slight off track.

That's pretty much what i do now. I have a general firm hit for many banks and make minor angle or english adjustments depending on what i need to do. Same with hitting softer or firing them in.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Now when Sam said "off track" I think he meant you... Sam asks a lot of questions and IMO wastes time on these forums instead of doing a little research and putting that research to table time... His question was aimed at personal preferences and when it comes to banks and kicks it's more of an exact science than ones personal "method"... So YES you are not supposed to ask related questions when the question has been asked, answered, and available at anyones beck and call ALL over the Internet... :rolleyes: right back at ya

I don't think it's a bad thing to ask general questions. It leads to people sharing the resources that they like best and also instigates discussion.