I ran 21 points in 1-cushion on a pool table

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been playing 1-cushion on a pool table for years. Usually for about an hour after I play a bit of straight pool. It must now be my favorite game.

Today I focused on making a mental image of the tip position before every shot and was right on the money. 21 points in a row!

Try it. It is hard. Excellent for your stroke.

The way I play is that pockets don’t mean anything and there are no scratches. Just spot the ball to your most favorable head/foot spot.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nicely done. Efren Reyes often warmed up for a pool match by playing one cushion, although he made sure not to pocket any of the balls on the table as he played.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nicely done. Efren Reyes often warmed up for a pool match by playing one cushion, although he made sure not to pocket any of the balls on the table as he played.
I didn't know he did this.

I play a variant where you aren't allowed to scratch or pocket a ball, unless you pocket both object balls in the same shot. Helps solve the problem of buried balls in pockets.

jeagle64

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great game to help with your safety play also.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have to hit 1 (or more) cushions the way you are playing? Or is a zero cushion carom a point? I assume 3 balls total on the table?

soyale

Do you have to hit 1 (or more) cushions the way you are playing? Or is a zero cushion carom a point? I assume 3 balls total on the table?
i play no cushions caroms (straight rail?) with 3 balls to practice sometimes when i need a break from the other games. i cant run patterns for shit but it always feels good when you make contact

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 balls only. At least 1 rail contact is required. Kick-ball-ball or ball-cushion-ball counts. Ball-ball does not. Pockets just teleport balls to the spots so you play more open table shots with a pool table because of it.

I like 1 rail more than straight rail because it forces you to learn rail behavior very well, and also requires a precision stroke that escapes many pool players. A tiny bit of follow from an elbow drop is a missed point.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
taiwanese carom is another good game for those without access to a billiard table. there are some money matches on youtube, wu kun lin is very good at it

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
taiwanese carom is another good game for those without access to a billiard table. there are some money matches on youtube, wu kun lin is very good at it

The 235 game or whatever it’s actually called?

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Practicing carom is the first time I want to camera set up first and I do not want to block the view.

After years of nineball or 14.1 tracking carom is mental computation is overwhelming.

Getting to carom table is an accomplishment. Was the table properly heated?

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am very familiar. Believe it or not I ran 4 points in this game. Of course by myself, and of course with no pressure.

1 point per triplet, never the 2,3,5 nonsense.

Probably the only game I can’t stand practicing is 8 ball or 9 ball. I just don’t ever feel rewarded from those.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

yes, that's the one. depending on skill level you can also skip the third sequence