Taiwan 235 Carom Pool Rules (4 Balls Carom played on 9ft Pool Table))

lolanto

Registered
Hi everyone, i'm very interested in the four ball carom pool as they called it 235 in Taiwan. Can anyone please explain all the rules of the game and how to play it, please? Thanks very much for your time and help.

This is the video of the game that i'm talking about :

https://youtu.be/RTG3gX9L5rU

:)

poolnoob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You score points when you make contact using cue ball to object balls.
First shot(2 points): red yellow or yellow red 2 different colours
Second shot(3 points) : Red Red, same colour
3 shot(5 points) ,money shot , is when your cue ball contact all 3 balls on the table.
Every turn starts with the 2 points shot, work your way to the 5 point shot. Points are not necessarily awarded for first 2 shots, only when the 3rd shot is made successfully then its consider a wining shot .
Depending on tournament they sometime do set a time frame as to who ever gets the most 5 points shot after a 2 hour of play wins.

Last edited:

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
This game has been gaining popularity in Japan. Over here, it is called Kairun. By far the most difficult game I have seen on a pool table or any table for that matter.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In car, so cant peek at the vid, looking forward to it though

Caroming into 3 other balls is madness.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched it for a while. Pretty cool.

I especiaal liked a shot where the shoter shot into a bll that was on the rail, kissing off its face and then going to the other balls. He didnt strike the third ball, but he had it going in the right direction...which i am ggonna say is pretty good, considering the complexity of the matter.

lolanto

Registered
You score points when you make contact using cue ball to object balls.
First shot(2 points): red yellow or yellow red 2 different colours
Second shot(3 points) : Red Red, same colour
3 shot(5 points) ,money shot , is when your cue ball contact all 3 balls on the table.
Every turn starts with the 2 points shot, work your way to the 5 point shot. Points are not necessarily awarded for first 2 shots, only when the 3rd shot is made successfully then its consider a wining shot .
Depending on tournament they sometime do set a time frame as to who ever gets the most 5 points shot after a 2 hour of play wins.

Thanks bro poolnoob for your help, so beside the cue ball (white), there are 2 red ball and 1 yellow on the table, am i right ?

This game looks easy but i don't think so haha.... especially the 5 points shot... looks like a "mission impossible" haha..

Last edited:

lolanto

Registered
This game have been gain popularity for about 10 years in TW,

and this game is the reason why a lot of taiwanese players who play 9 & 8 ball effortlessly, especially when opening up a cluster of balls to continue to run out... :smile:

poolnoob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks bro poolnoob for your help, so beside the cue ball (white), there are 2 red ball and 1 yellow on the table, am i right ?

This game looks easy but i don't think so haha.... especially the 5 points shot... looks like a "mission impossible" haha..

Try it, i played it on my local poolroom we spent more then 2 hour with no one making a 5 point. If you see Aloyious Yapp in Indo for tournament , you can ask him about it, he plays a bit of this game too.

poolnoob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Facebook Group 救愛撞球 have regular updates on when they do have stream of 235. You can like their page and watch free stream when they play. Highest run was 5 which i saw. Totally sick slightly harder then running a 5 pack imo

lolanto

Registered
thanks again bro poolnoob.. ya aloysius yapp is very promising young talent... future world champ... i tried this game... hahaha so darn difficult.... thanks for the info... i also have like the facebook page you recommended... thanks bro

heater451

Registered
Interesting....I had invented a game that is very similar to this 235--although after seeing this I feel like mine is something of a copy. My game started as a training tool for myself, so the rules are pretty loose. I will put the basic idea here, and perhaps someday post them in the Cuesports forum.

The game is called "91", and is essentially straight billiards with pockets. It is played with the Cueball, the 1, and the 9, with the goal being to touch both numbered balls with the CB.

The 9 spots on the foot, and the 1 on the head spot. The first shot, and any ball in had fouls (CB scratches only) are from the kitchen, as it is a points game. It is legal for the "break" shot to be at the 1, even though it is on the headline.

Scoring:
Completing the billiard (CB touches 1 and 9, in either sequence) = 1 pt.
Sinking either ball, and completing the billiard = 3 pts.
Sinking both balls--even w/o touching both with the CB = 7 pts. (a "touchdown", just because)

The numbers balls that get sunk are spotted on their beginning spots.

A goal score is chosen to begin, and can be literally anything, 3, 5, 7, 10, 11, 21, 50, etc. Odd numbers seem to *feel* better, but it does not matter. Any number of players can shoot, so the more players, the (somewhat) lower the goal should be.

I have not yet had the opportunity to play against an experienced 3-Cushion player, although I would expect them to be pretty good at it. I've played it with a few APA-6's, who like it well enough, but for lower ranked players it is still more of a training tool, to learn how to follow, draw, and sidespin to move the cue as needed.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in my version, like english billiards, sinking the white is also a score, 2 or 3 points and then the white spots behind the line, or in the D.

and i use the last 4 snooker spots,
brown and blue and pink and black