Initial team usa squad is named for mosconi cup xxv

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I'm nuts but you don't try and get pro players -- particularly American pro players -- to attend "boot camps."

A boot camp is for new recruits and/or youthful offender types. The starting premise is insulting and I believe a fundamental flaw with hiring a European, who does not understand the basic mentality of the guys he's being paid to coach, nor the basic financial truths American players face day-to-day, to helm a US squad.

We are headed down a river of sheeet.

Lou Figueroa

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe I'm nuts but you don't try and get pro players -- particularly American pro players -- to attend "boot camps."

A boot camp is for new recruits and/or youthful offender types. The starting premise is insulting and I believe a fundamental flaw with hiring a European, who does not understand the basic mentality of the guys he's being paid to coach, nor the basic financial truths American players face day-to-day, to helm a US squad.

Lou Figueroa

Maybe some of them have chimed in on the Book of Faces, but the few who I talked to thought it was amazing and that they learned so much. Does that translate to anything useful for a Mosconi Cup event? Who knows.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
Lou,

The only thing I can say is that boot camps (to continue the military analogy) instill discipline in those who lack it. Johann must believe US players are not as disciplined as the Europeans.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was really looking forward to Justin Bergman making a come back to the team
Disappointing that he isn't at least going to Russia.

parvus1202

Suspected hacked account
Silver Member
View attachment 494074

Of the 14 players named, over half of them have previous Mosconi Cup experience with Corey Deuel at ten appearances being the most seasoned. There are six players in the squad who have yet to taste the fiery atmosphere of the event. The final team of five will be announced at the end of October.

The 14 players are:

1. Corey Deuel (10)
2. Dennis Hatch (5)
3. Skyler Woodward (3)
4. Justin Bergman (3)
5. Oscar Dominquez (2)
6. Billy Thorpe (1)
7. Brandon Shuff (1)
8. Justin Hall (1)
9. Donny Mills
10. Josh Roberts
11. Mitchell Ellerman
12. Chip Compton
13. Chris Robinson
14. Tyler Styer
(Number of previous Mosconi Cup appearances in brackets)

full link http://www.matchroompool.com/news/initial-team-usa-squad-named-mosconi-cup-xxv/

From that list I don't think USA can instil fear to any country. They are not what it use to be during the the golden years when Varner, Earl, Mizerak, Davenport, Scorpion, Sigel, Morris, Keith, etc. dominates the game, of course that was until Parica, Bustamante and Reyes joined the battle for supremacy.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe some of them have chimed in on the Book of Faces, but the few who I talked to thought it was amazing and that they learned so much. Does that translate to anything useful for a Mosconi Cup event? Who knows.

I wasn't saying no one wouldn't learn anything. I just think the optics of a "boot camp" are bad.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou,

The only thing I can say is that boot camps (to continue the military analogy) instill discipline in those who lack it. Johann must believe US players are not as disciplined as the Europeans.

No doubt, Rich. But I'm guessing the "boot camp" concept rankles some.

Lou Figueroa

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'd like to see some evidence on this vast gain of knowledge some of have spoken of. Just from my armchair, i don't see significant improvement in any of them. Corey Deuel seems to have improved the most of any top USA pro- I have asked for before and after Fargos on Oscar as a direct reply to Mike Page and in another thread he was in. I havent seen a reply-The reason i asked for Oscar's as he is the only one I personally saw say he learned so much. Lets see them from July of last year to July of this year for last year's team-

Shane Van Boening
Skyler Woodward
Dennis Hatch
Oscar Dominguez
Billy Thorpe

Then we will have some evidence based on something other than talk. Im pretty sure SVB improved some-He is so visible near the top-no idea of the others

Last edited:

J SCHWARZ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sky, Thorpe, Bergman, Hall and Josh Roberts or Oscar. Great chemistry between the players and they are all still hungry and out to prove something. They may be the underdogs but that team dosnt have to lose to anyone.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From that list I don't think USA can instil fear to any country. They are not what it use to be during the the golden years when Varner, Earl, Mizerak, Davenport, Scorpion, Sigel, Morris, Keith, etc. dominates the game, of course that was until Parica, Bustamante and Reyes joined the battle for supremacy.

Just a question for my own curiosity, but what single COUNTRY , not continent, would you bet on against the top 10 american players? I would venture the Philippines, Taiwan, China, maybe UK? Maybe Germany and Russia, but I don't read about many individual countries that could field a stronger 10 players.

Sure some countries have MONSTERS that can beat anyone at anytime, such as Russia, but would Russia's tenth best player be in the same league as the US 10th best? I am admittedly not very knowledgeable on the international scene...

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

I am speaking from my experience of such "boot camp" about 5 years back, except the head coach was Alex Lely (who I believe shares the same concept of teaching with Johann). Bootcamp consisted of 6 top czech players and 6 young guns from Netherlands. During 2 and a half days both our body and mind got pushed to their very limits, we did plenty of VERY difficult drills, for every drill we were paired together czech vs dutch and we competed against each other, for every drill there was different pairing. At the end everybody was totally drained out of energy but we were happy to have new friends, there were no longer 2 teams (czech and dutch), only 1 big team remained, we all became friends. And we learnt a LOT, in two weeks after that camp I ran 4 times over 100 in 14-1, it really boosted my game big time. So maybe "boot camp" has some negative associations but this one is really benefitial ;)

Kimmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

but why is it? having done 3 of those bootcamps myself only as an Amateur but with Johann and Alex....I am familiar with the concept....

do they feel they have
- nothing to learn?
- demeaning/waste of time to do exercises
- too costly?

to me....as an Amateur....the first step would be "yeah we are not performing at the same Level as EU at the Moment....why is that?" identify why....and go from there...
if I feel I am being beaten continuously....I would like to know why....and then try to improve that aspect of the game...whether it is the physical or mental side of the game...

Personally I get the feeling (not that it is worth anything) some People are not willing to commit to change even if it stares them in the face...US is the Underdog going into Mosconi at the Moment...that means something HAS TO change.....the problem is that even when most people actually do not resist change....they resist being changed. Could this be a factor? "We don't need no stinking yuuropeeean to tell us how to play our game!"?

just asking....

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a question for my own curiosity, but what single COUNTRY , not continent, would you bet on against the top 10 american players? I would venture the Philippines, Taiwan, China, maybe UK? Maybe Germany and Russia, but I don't read about many individual countries that could field a stronger 10 players.

Sure some countries have MONSTERS that can beat anyone at anytime, such as Russia, but would Russia's tenth best player be in the same league as the US 10th best? I am admittedly not very knowledgeable on the international scene...

Definitely Poland would be competitive in your format, 10 polish players in FR range between 779 and 754. Thats not as high as USA players but close enough to keep things interesting ;)

Kimmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Germany, UK, Netherlands, Poland....then there are the "smaller" countries that could field top-class Talent but not 10...even NL and Poland is pushing to get to 10....but mosconi is 5 or 6

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
but why is it? having done 3 of those bootcamps myself only as an Amateur but with Johann and Alex....I am familiar with the concept....

do they feel they have
- nothing to learn?
- demeaning/waste of time to do exercises
- too costly?

to me....as an Amateur....the first step would be "yeah we are not performing at the same Level as EU at the Moment....why is that?" identify why....and go from there...
if I feel I am being beaten continuously....I would like to know why....and then try to improve that aspect of the game...whether it is the physical or mental side of the game...

Personally I get the feeling (not that it is worth anything) some People are not willing to commit to change even if it stares them in the face...US is the Underdog going into Mosconi at the Moment...that means something HAS TO change.....the problem is that even when most people actually do not resist change....they resist being changed. Could this be a factor? "We don't need no stinking yuuropeeean to tell us how to play our game!"?

just asking....

Because as a country - not just in pool - we are incapable of self-reflection, learning from others, and hard work. It’s more important for us to believe we’re number 1, and recognizing that we need to improve undermines that belief.

This should be our new team uniform:

no1.jpg

Last edited:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TEAM USA

Coach Ruijsink has narrowed his initial partypoker Mosconi Cup Team USA squad down to eight players.

The final five to take on Europe at Alexandra Palace, London this December 4-7 will be announced in the autumn.

38650071_10156363590430115_3867894027466571776_n.jpg