Jay Helfert resigned as Tourney Director at the US Open

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would you like me to quote SJM, YOUR FRIEND who was there, who posted his own synopsis of what happened, and then posted his thoughts after you called him to tell him you were upset at his synopsis?

Better yet, i can link the thread if you like.

So anyway...
To some, you commenting in this thread is the pot calling the kettle black.

It really is in bad taste. Even people who staunchly defend you have expressed that in the past 5 minutes.

You are not above reproach.

Sometimes, staying silent on a topic, when you yourself have made "mistakes" as someone in charge, is the best approach.
Something for you to think about.

So? Stu didn't care for the decision CSI made at one of their events.

That was his take from the rail. Another eyewitness, also on the rail, had a completely different take than Stu's on what happened. And after the fact, CSI provided a completely logical explanation of what transpired and also explained what happened on an ABR broadcast.

There's a huge difference between making a mistake that bears no ill-intent in the heat of conducting a tournament and the cold-blooded alteration of the US Open tournament chart.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's been a long day and I just returned home. I was not happy to leave the U.S. Open but I had no choice. To continue as TD would be to compromise my principles and I won't do that. I strenuously objected to Allen Hopkins being put into the field a day after the tournament flow chart had been posted. Barry asked me to find a player we could remove (paying them off if necessary) and insert Allen into his spot on the board. I refused to do this and made it clear to Barry that it was cheating. This went on all day Sunday with Barry making every attempt he could to find someone who would drop out. He posted flyers to that effect by the tournament board and asked me to make announcements, which I wouldn't do.

All the while he continued to send me derogatory text messages, with liberal use of profanity. I ignored them and just hoped he would eventually drop this very bad idea. I was kept busy doing the work of three men, since Barry had not seen fit to hire any of the assistants that I requested. Saving money takes priority with Barry at all times. He was all too anxious to get rid of me when he saw that I would not go along with his unethical program.

I spoke with Allan directly and told him that this was a bad idea. His name had never been on any players list that Pat or I had seen. It turns out that Barry and Allan made a back room deal that if Allan brings a plaque honoring Barry's 40 years, he will get a spot in the Open. None of this was ever conveyed to Pat or myself. Barry neglected to mention this "deal" to either of us. It must have slipped his mind (or what there is left of it).

I talked to Allan on Sunday morning, explaining to him that the field was full and the board had been posted last night. If I had known about this a day earlier, before we did the draw, then I may have been able to get him in. Allan understood and told me he didn't care if he played or not. I then sent this message to Barry and his response was a mere, "PUT HIM IN! I DON'T CARE HOW YOU DO IT!?" I responded to Barry that I would not put Allan in under any circumstances.

The tournament continued with the day matches and I did my job (under some duress I might add). I started the day at 8 AM and at 5:30 pm I finally had a 45 minute break to eat some dinner. When I returned to the tournament area, I noticed that Lee Steelman's name had been whited out and Allen Hopkins name inserted in his place. For me this was the last straw. I had put up with two days of Barry's incoherent and often abusive ramblings and now he decided to manipulate the tournament board. He had NEVER before touched the tournament flow chart in any Opens that I had previously worked. I let Barry know that I would be withdrawing as TD effective on Monday (today). I finished working the evening rounds, updated the flow charts and scheduled the next two days matches. Hopefully that will be enough for Scott or whoever to finish the event. I assured the players that the money was good and they didn't have to worry about that.

Several people tried to convince me to stay, but I felt that by staying I was tacitly condoning what had just happened. Basically we had cheated as a favor to Allen Hopkins. I couldn't in good conscience overlook this and continue to do my job. In over 30 years directing tournaments I had never allowed anything like this happen and I wasn't about to start now. I had no choice but to withdraw as TD and I did. I gave all my materials to Scott and hopefully he will be able to handle it okay. The U.S. Open is not the easiest tournament to run and it takes some expertise to make the schedule work on time. If they follow my lead for the first three days I think they can do it. I wish them luck. I got to bed at about 1:30 AM, a seventeen hour day, mostly on my own. I was bleary eyed from fatigue and stress, but agreed to wait until the morning to see if cooler heads could prevail. My bottom line was that Allen could not play in the tournament. I awoke at just after 10 AM and walked out of my room just in time to hear them announcing Allen's match with Warren Kiamco, on the TV table no less. I went back inside, packed my bags and left for the airport. I finally got back home at 9 PM California time.

I have no regrets. I feel that I made the right decision for me.

Tough call, Jay. I applaud you for taking a principled though painful stand.

Lou Figueroa

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I'll give it to you straight, Jay.

When you walk out on a major tournament like that to save your reputation, you are hurting all the players you leave behind. If Barry wanted to make the change, you should have told him that you're against it and he would have to make it himself. Then you just tell all the players that it wasn't you who made the change and although you wanted to leave, you didn't want to walk out on them.

Everybody knows how Barry is and they wouldn't have held it against you. The players needed you and your expertise in running the event. You not only walked out on Barry, but you walked out on them as well.

And THAT is my east coast attitude, Bill Meacham.

It is preserving integrity not reputation. Thumb up to Jay, thumbs down to Allen.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is preserving integrity not reputation. Thumb up to Jay, thumbs down to Allen.

Allen did nothing wrong. He would have been okay to have sat this one out and watched the trounament. It wasn't Allen's doing. This is wrong to say down to Allen. He even said to others that he would be okay with not playing after the controversy began. So there!

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay I applaud you for standing up for you principles. I would like so!e clarification for myself though. I'm not arguing whether right or wrong I just want to know the thought behind it. Had the guy that AH replaced played anymatces yet? Did this occur in a first round bracket? If the guy AH replaced WILLING allowed to be bought out how is this cheating, other than the protocol of an entry cut off? I just not sure how I feel about this yet so looking for some insight so I can form my opinions. While a much smaller tourney, I know I've arrived late before and been inserted into a bye slot. I think thats worse than filling in for someone though.

On a side note, cue balls - unacceptable and really stupid if in fact BB had 70 new measles just sitting there.

Rack situation - various pros complaining about the performance of the rack used for tourney , should have been tested and figured out long ago.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When you walk out on a major tournament like that to save your reputation, you are hurting all the players you leave behind. If Barry wanted to make the change, you should have told him that you're against it and he would have to make it himself. Then you just tell all the players that it wasn't you who made the change and although you wanted to leave, you didn't want to walk out on them.

Everybody knows how Barry is and they wouldn't have held it against you. The players needed you and your expertise in running the event. You not only walked out on Barry, but you walked out on them as well.

It's a toughie, the spot Jay was in, Fran. I think he had to stick to his morals and what he believed was fair and equitable. Favoritism should not raise its ugly head in any professional competition.

That said, I am all about East Coast attitude, so in that regard, I support your stance with the caveat that I understand why Jay did what he did. :p

NlceGuy

Registered
I have a question about the "Added Money" part of this event (75k, 15 of which is past champions) . Supposedly the free entries for past champions are considered part of the added money, and the total added money must be met for it to qualify as category 2 WPA sanctioned event.

However, each one of these past champions that don't play, Barry would need to replace the $1000 added money lost; the $1000 entry fee from the replacement player wouldn't be considered added money because that goes directly into the prize fund to increase the total pot, is this not correct?

If so, seems like the situation fits Jay's narrative that Barry is doing everything to save cost, and getting Allen in the tournament without replacing another past champion that isn't playing like Jeremy, and yet still forfeiting Jeremy afterwards would make complete sense. Perhaps Jay or someone can shed some light on whether this is the case, but seems like this whole issue was for Barry to save an extra $1000...

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you are committing a crime, and you are the get-a-way driver, you are held just as culpable as the person that did the actual crime.

If you associate yourself with wrong-doing, then you are just as culpable as those that did the wrong-doing. You can't just say "He did it, it wasn't me". Jay did the right thing. If the players were hurt by Jay leaving, that also is on Barry as Barry forced Jay to leave.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are committing a crime, and you are the get-a-way driver, you are held just as culpable as the person that did the actual crime.

If you associate yourself with wrong-doing, then you are just as culpable as those that did the wrong-doing. You can't just say "He did it, it wasn't me". Jay did the right thing. If the players were hurt by Jay leaving, that also is on Barry as Barry forced Jay to leave.

Tap tap tap!

linds

proudly Philippine made!
Silver Member
It's been a long day and I just returned home. I was not happy to leave the U.S. Open but I had no choice. To continue as TD would be to compromise my principles and I won't do that. I strenuously objected to Allen Hopkins being put into the field a day after the tournament flow chart had been posted. Barry asked me to find a player we could remove (paying them off if necessary) and insert Allen into his spot on the board. I refused to do this and made it clear to Barry that it was cheating. This went on all day Sunday with Barry making every attempt he could to find someone who would drop out. He posted flyers to that effect by the tournament board and asked me to make announcements, which I wouldn't do.

All the while he continued to send me derogatory text messages, with liberal use of profanity. I ignored them and just hoped he would eventually drop this very bad idea. I was kept busy doing the work of three men, since Barry had not seen fit to hire any of the assistants that I requested. Saving money takes priority with Barry at all times. He was all too anxious to get rid of me when he saw that I would not go along with his unethical program.

I spoke with Allan directly and told him that this was a bad idea. His name had never been on any players list that Pat or I had seen. It turns out that Barry and Allan made a back room deal that if Allan brings a plaque honoring Barry's 40 years, he will get a spot in the Open. None of this was ever conveyed to Pat or myself. Barry neglected to mention this "deal" to either of us. It must have slipped his mind (or what there is left of it).

I talked to Allan on Sunday morning, explaining to him that the field was full and the board had been posted last night. If I had known about this a day earlier, before we did the draw, then I may have been able to get him in. Allan understood and told me he didn't care if he played or not. I then sent this message to Barry and his response was a mere, "PUT HIM IN! I DON'T CARE HOW YOU DO IT!?" I responded to Barry that I would not put Allan in under any circumstances.

The tournament continued with the day matches and I did my job (under some duress I might add). I started the day at 8 AM and at 5:30 pm I finally had a 45 minute break to eat some dinner. When I returned to the tournament area, I noticed that Lee Steelman's name had been whited out and Allen Hopkins name inserted in his place. For me this was the last straw. I had put up with two days of Barry's incoherent and often abusive ramblings and now he decided to manipulate the tournament board. He had NEVER before touched the tournament flow chart in any Opens that I had previously worked. I let Barry know that I would be withdrawing as TD effective on Monday (today). I finished working the evening rounds, updated the flow charts and scheduled the next two days matches. Hopefully that will be enough for Scott or whoever to finish the event. I assured the players that the money was good and they didn't have to worry about that.

Several people tried to convince me to stay, but I felt that by staying I was tacitly condoning what had just happened. Basically we had cheated as a favor to Allen Hopkins. I couldn't in good conscience overlook this and continue to do my job. In over 30 years directing tournaments I had never allowed anything like this happen and I wasn't about to start now. I had no choice but to withdraw as TD and I did. I gave all my materials to Scott and hopefully he will be able to handle it okay. The U.S. Open is not the easiest tournament to run and it takes some expertise to make the schedule work on time. If they follow my lead for the first three days I think they can do it. I wish them luck. I got to bed at about 1:30 AM, a seventeen hour day, mostly on my own. I was bleary eyed from fatigue and stress, but agreed to wait until the morning to see if cooler heads could prevail. My bottom line was that Allen could not play in the tournament. I awoke at just after 10 AM and walked out of my room just in time to hear them announcing Allen's match with Warren Kiamco, on the TV table no less. I went back inside, packed my bags and left for the airport. I finally got back home at 9 PM California time.

I have no regrets. I feel that I made the right decision for me.

i salute you sir jay :smile:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Allen did nothing wrong. He would have been okay to have sat this one out and watched the trounament. It wasn't Allen's doing. This is wrong to say down to Allen. He even said to others that he would be okay with not playing after the controversy began. So there!

In what way shape or form was this ok for Allen? Embarrassing

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't wait to hear the 60 minute speech Barry is going to give after receiving the 40 year plaque that he bought for himself.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Amen (midwest reasoning not attitude):cool:

fishless

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In what way shape or form was this ok for Allen? Embarrassing

I tend to agree, just the fact Allen didn't stand up to Barry and refuse to play, he has to accept some responsibility. Regardless its a crappy situation that Barry put both Allen and Jay in, mind you not too surprising.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Allen was aware, and he was just as guilty as Barry.

Jay played it perfectly, and I wish I had his fortitude for the right thing.

Fran and JAM, while I often agree, this time I am on the other side of the fence.

I wish everyone the best of rolls,

Ken

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something else that I think Fran and a few others didn't consider....If Jay had stayed, after assuring all players that he was not culpable, but only Barry was, it might have been fine for Jays reputation at the moment. However, you can be assured that it would be talked about in the future also. Not to the extent it is now, but still talked about. In the future, you can be assured that the fact the Jay put the blame on Barry would be lost, and people would just ask who the tournament director was that allowed that to happen. That's when Jay's name pops up, and he now gets the blame. Just like what is still happening with Mark G. despite all he has done to clear things up. People still blame him. Jay had no choice but to resign.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was anyone in charge of verifying past champions were coming? It seems like the root of the problem was a miscommunication somewhere.

On one hand, it seems Allen thought he was in because he's a past champion.

On the other hand, it seems the event directors thought Jeremy Jones was in, but he has hand surgery scheduled.

What happened with these two entrants and communications between them and the event directors/staff that led up to where this thread begins?

Can we learn from whatever it was to make future events better?