Jayson Shaw victim of cheating

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
little 1984 eh

A strange person? How so? Was he some kind of pervert? Some kind of registered offender? That must have been terrible for you.

Sounds like u may know little sm sum bout the shadow govt eh Easy e, are you sportin' the paper tags industrial complex - i would not doubt it.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Roger roger

I was there, too, and your account is incorrect. Failure to pocket the called ball in straight pool is not, by rule, a foul and the referee did not call a foul when Earl made this mistake the first time. All he did was turn the table over to Shaw.

I am glad to hear a non biased opinion, I sit corrected but the second time Earl called the wrong ball they did not turn the table back over to Shaw (like they did the first time) (major mistake in officiating #1 and I think what we might call inconsistency - no bueno). I say they due to the fact that when there is no ref at the table I assume it's many different people in charge of possibly making one decision, which takes longer looks inept and holds up the tournament making the players look bad. Also losing your turn at the table should be at least a half point foul, but as you eloquently stated he did not lose a precious point.
Once upon a normal time when there were referee's a top player would have many options and forget to call exactly what ball they were playing, the referee would intervene and ask the player what ball he was playing up table. The player would answer and the ref would announce it to the spectators, I'm sad to say those days of organized competition seemed to be over - i guess by design? Anyhue' you are correct sjm the main spark that started all the drama was the fact there was no ref at the table.
Players who love drama don't mind not having a ref present and at the table - i'm not one of those. Rack yer own bar box nine ball and no ref at the finals of a major is called deteriation of pocket billiards

Last edited:

Hobo

Banned
I'm assuming this was from this game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILd9uTRmbmE

Watch it at 0.5 speed and it sounds like any argument that breaks out during league play :)

Anyway here is another angle. Earl says 2 ball but clearly he was shooting the 10 in the corner...he was lining that shot up the whole time. Bottom line Shaw was being a wanker. Anyway, the funniest part is when Earl slams his stick. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDcA4D9LDQY

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like u may know little sm sum bout the shadow govt eh Easy e, are you sportin' the paper tags industrial complex - i would not doubt it.

Not sure what that means exactly, but as long as you don’t go near any schools I guess you can do whatever you like.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
I was there, too, and your account is incorrect. Failure to pocket the called ball in straight pool is not, by rule, a foul and the referee did not call a foul when Earl made this mistake the first time. All he did was turn the table over to Shaw.

Grew up playing straight pool, and I cannot recall a time that the table was "turned over" to my opponent unless I missed a shot or I fouled/scratched. In this case if he didn't "foul", he must have missed a shot. Yet, if I'm reading correctly, the shot wasn't actually "missed", just "miscalled", which leaves the controversy still open. Should the table have been "turned over" for a ball being miscalled on a clearly obvious shot?

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
oh questions

Not sure what that means exactly, but as long as you don’t go near any schools I guess you can do whatever you like.

I hear your a tough guy there easy, let me take a guess here - you fought in a war that u did not understand. You like to play league pool with your likeminded (bully) pals. I can go near any school I want and am not afraid of you - even though you are of me. I realize yer the voice of sneazin' - i was rt bout you - you enjoy the drama - bad robot. When I make a post on here it's for a reason and not to attack anyone, oh and I think you need a hanky big bad eric. Keep it up I am retired from having to deal with people like you on the table without a ref - but keep in mind there is a moderator on this forum - and he IS at the table. With great power comes great responsibility - I doubt u have much of either.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
This is not accurate. This was a semifinal. The tournament was down to four players and all matches from that point on would be contested on the main stream table. Nothing was being set up for the next match. The referee (who was not the tournament director) was not diverted in any way from his duties, but he got caught napping and his failure most likely (but not definitely) cost Jayson the match.

This was not the fault of the tournament director, who ultimately had to make a decision that was certain to infuriate somebody. Had he been referreeing this match, it would have been his fault, but given the absence of any conclusive evidence that Earl called the wrong ball (the sound on the reviewed videotape was not of sufficient quality to determine it) the call had to be made without anything other than hearsay.

Review the video. I saw it live. What was so wrong in how I described it? The TD made the call so in effect he was the ref and he was not there. A "ref" who is not calling the shots, scores, racking or stranding by table is simply a observer. Otherwise he would make the call and the game would go on.

https://youtu.be/ILd9uTRmbmE

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
i stay in the center

I'm assuming this was from this game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILd9uTRmbmE

Watch it at 0.5 speed and it sounds like any argument that breaks out during league play :)

Anyway here is another angle. Earl says 2 ball but clearly he was shooting the 10 in the corner...he was lining that shot up the whole time. Bottom line Shaw was being a wanker. Anyway, the funniest part is when Earl slams his stick. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDcA4D9LDQY

Another fine example of deflecting the problem of not having a referee, this is what i call techno drama, nice try hobo.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well..

I must not understand the rules. I thought if one had to call every ball you called every ball and if you shot a ball you did not call you gave up the table.

If I was playing that game and my opponent was obviously shooting a ball he did not call I would tell him about it after the shot and let him keep shooting. I would also tell him that was his one "freebie".

But, why have rules if we don't follow them. Clearly Earl called the wrong ball and the ref should of ruled in Shaw's favor in my opinion and I don't blame Shaw for not liking the call.

That does not excuse Shaw's knocking balls off of the table and pointing the butt of his cue at Earl, that is threatening behavior and Earl should of got some distance between him and Shaw.

I also think Shaw should of been told by the tournament director and the ref that his behavior is unacceptable and to leave the area.

I remember a few years ago Shane and Carlo did not call the 10 Ball when playing in the Pacquiao tournament Efren won. Alcano called it on Shane and Shane quietly broke his cue down and left, Carlo quietly accepted he had made a mistake even though his opponent acted like a horses ass over Carlo's mistake.

Both Shane and Carlo are class acts, no hissy fits or childish melt downs from either one. It is not in their DNA.

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
structured format

So i repeat in a real world 14.1 event if you make it to the semi finals you deserve to have a referee, score keeper and safe distraction free place to rest. That does not exist in USA as far as I can tell, we have live streaming instead of surround virtual image (like in snooker) and watching top straight pool from a quality standpoint is virtually non existent in USA.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
So i repeat in a real world 14.1 event if you make it to the semi finals you deserve to have a referee, score keeper and safe distraction free place to rest. That does not exist in USA as far as I can tell, we have live streaming instead of surround virtual image (like in snooker) and watching top straight pool from a quality standpoint is virtually non existent in USA.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you on these points, I think that the discussion has become centered on whether the decisions and outcome in this case were the correct ones.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I must not understand the rules. I thought if one had to call every ball you called every ball and if you shot a ball you did not call you gave up the table.

If I was playing that game and my opponent was obviously shooting a ball he did not call I would tell him about it after the shot and let him keep shooting. I would also tell him that was his one "freebie".

But, why have rules if we don't follow them. Clearly Earl called the wrong ball and the ref should of ruled in Shaw's favor in my opinion and I don't blame Shaw for not liking the call.

That does not excuse Shaw's knocking balls off of the table and pointing the butt of his cue at Earl, that is threatening behavior and Earl should of got some distance between him and Shaw.

I also think Shaw should of been told by the tournament director and the ref that his behavior is unacceptable and to leave the area.

I remember a few years ago Shane and Carlo did not call the 10 Ball when playing in the Pacquiao tournament Efren won. Alcano called it on Shane and Shane quietly broke his cue down and left, Carlo quietly accepted he had made a mistake even though his opponent acted like a horses ass over Carlo's mistake.

Both Shane and Carl are class acts, no hissy fits or childish melt downs from either one. It is not in their DNA.

I 've been in call ball matches where I clearly called the ball. But my opponent wasn't paying attention or couldn't hear for one reason or another. Tried to tell me i didn't call it. At some point or another, common sense has to prevail. That's why obvious shots don't have to be called.

Common sense is applicable in Shaws case too. Obvious shot, both the 2 and the 10 are blue, referee fuvked up. Tournament director made the proper call for the evidence that was immediately available. At the very least, Shaw handled the situation with a complete absence of sportsmanship, professionalism, grace, dignity, and etiquette.

In other words.... HE IS A EUROPEAN VERSION OF EARL!

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Reverse rulings

Jayson endured some tough calls.

In other pro sports, there are reverse rulings, the Olympics commonly takes away gold medals. Tour de France restates player positions after races end. Jeopardy even makes rulings after bad calls by Alex Trebek.

In the billiard world where each tournament operates under its own fiefdom, players have no way to appeal a bad call.

There has been interesting discussion on the event and whether or not the ruling is legit.

A focus on the billiard sport rulings is where I thought the discussion might go. Referees and directors do a job and sometimes they are consistent and other times less consistent.

If you have ever participated in sports or have children participate in sports, then you might relate to refs making calls "one way." They see your team fouling, but not the other team.

With all the technology and instant playback and high def video, the art of refereeing has hardly kept up to date with technology. That is a bigger problem.

It was caught on camera, but people still ruled otherwise.

Hobo

Banned
Another fine example of deflecting the problem of not having a referee, this is what i call techno drama, nice try hobo.

Ya bring back Michaela Tabb...no complaints there. :)

btw how many games would I need to give you in a race to 15 9 ball?

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

And now the bullshit starts....there ain’t a billiard game you don’t need serious weight at
in this spot.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear your a tough guy there easy, let me take a guess here - you fought in a war that u did not understand. You like to play league pool with your likeminded (bully) pals. I can go near any school I want and am not afraid of you - even though you are of me. I realize yer the voice of sneazin' - i was rt bout you - you enjoy the drama - bad robot. When I make a post on here it's for a reason and not to attack anyone, oh and I think you need a hanky big bad eric. Keep it up I am retired from having to deal with people like you on the table without a ref - but keep in mind there is a moderator on this forum - and he IS at the table. With great power comes great responsibility - I doubt u have much of either.

When you come on here and post about how important you are, there are many of us that feel you need a reality check. You may be great at hitting pool balls around a table, but that doesn’t make your opinion count more than any of ours. When it comes to being a contributing member to society, you need the breaks and ball-in-hand.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
World 14.1 and Derby are two major events where Jayson has been on the receiving end of bad calls.

I do not know pros personally but do people have it "out" for him?
For anyone here who has any question as to the character and integrity of Mr. Shaw, or lack of, just watch his final singles match versus SVB in this most recent Mosconi Cup, where he showed his true self.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Boy, you're full of big talk Hobo. You sound just like some of the pool impostures I used to see around the poolrooms talking smack but never coming to the table. Tell you what Mr. Big Stuff, I don't care who you are or how good you play, I'll stake Danny against you playing a Race to Fifteen 9-Ball for $1,000. How does that sound to you? If you are in agreement we can post say $250 with someone reputable and make arrangements for you two to get together somewhere. I think I can convince Danny to play.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For anyone here who has any question as to the character and integrity of Mr. Shaw, or lack of, just watch his final singles match versus SVB in this most recent Mosconi Cup, where he showed his true self.

In the interview after the match, Shaw said he reacted that way because Hatch had shouted something like "good shot" when Shaw scratched early in the match. Jayson considered that quite unsportsmanlike, so he was shouting up to where Dennis was sitting.