Johnny Archer & Mosconi Cup

liakos

Banned
Young kids in this country are not respectful of anything in many cases said:
Garbage in, garbage out! I can't agree with you more! We are all trying to figure out the problem with pool because we are looking at it from the pool perspective! We need to look further than just pool! It's the type of people we as a nation have become! Pool will stay in the hole and sink lower and lower, not because of us as players, but because the country and its failure to be respectful to itself and others around!

I'm not trying to be political, but liberalism is a cause of this! The liberals would much rather keep giving hand outs and making sure the welfare people keep getting there checks and don't worry about a job,,,, the government will always take care of you!

We've lost our ways, hard work, determination, setting goals!! You don't have to look to far, I'll give you to prime examples with 2 players we all know,, Shane van boening and Mike dechaine! 2 phenominal players,,,, the best this country can come up with,,,, why is Shane traveling all over and Mike stuck in New England?? Answer, Shane has a good work ethic, Mike does not! Can you imagine if Mike put in the time that Shane has on the practice table!!!???!!! Holy macaroni bat man!!! I'm confident Mike would surpass Shane! But guess what??? Not gonna happen! Why? Simple, work ethic! Mike doesn't practice much, it's not in him to! I myself am not blaming Mike for that, he can do what he wishes! He is his own person and his own boss! At the end of the day, we can only blame ourselves for whatever situation we are in! Shane is where he is at because he put himself there, Mike is right where he wants to be! Shane is all over the world, Mike is all over New England!

The problem isn't with pool everyone, the problem is the people in general! The suffering world of pool is just a by product!

liakos

Banned
One more thing, I'm not putting anyone down, I'm not trash talking like some will suggest,,,, I'm simply stating obviouse facts about people!

I always say this, if you're happy with yourself, don't change! If you're not,, better change and make sure you change for the better! At the end of it all, the only person you can blame is yourself, unless your a typical liberal and want to blame it on someone else!

You make your own bed, lay down and go to sleep;)

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JA is one of my favorite players. But seriously he should leave Mark Wilson alone and let him do his management thing- if Mark screws up fire him after Mosconi.Cup
If I have to choose a manager/coach, I will choose a holistic manager non elite player like Mark Wilson over an elite player like Johnny Archer anytime. Sports history have time and again proved that top players are generally poor coaches/managers eg. Maradona, Paul Gascoigne, de Niro and vice versa (eg. Alex Ferguson, Van Gaal, Johann Rysink). There are exceptions of players who are also good coaches/managers (Guardiola, Cryuff) but they are few and far in between:D

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its sad that Johnny would make such comments.

In my mind, he is a hypocrite as he gambled often in his youth.

He and "Strong Arm" John are the SLOWEST shooting players on the planet, and that hasn't helped. I am a pool fan and he wears me out just watching him, imagine how his play must look to a lesser fan. Nit picking the table TO DEATH on every shot.

Finally, IMO, he is a chicken $hit to speak about disrespecting the game, and then not criticize Earl, and others, but mostly Earl. Earl hardly plays in a tournament or match without being an a$$, or worse to players, refs, and fans.

Ill take the young guns over Johnny many times in character and class. I have seen enough of Mr. Archer on auctions and coming on AZ - ONLY WHEN HE NEEDS SOMETHING. :angry:

Take me off the list of Johnny Archer fans.

Ken Strain

Last edited:

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
If Johnny felt this way he could jump on the bus with Mark Wilson and help him to try to make things better. I'm sure Johnny has a lot of resources that teamed with the right people could help change things.

that may not have even been a possibility for johnny

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, give him a break. He was effectively "cut" from the team after being a fixture from the beginning, and the de facto leader of the US Mosconi team for over a decade. It's only human to show a bit of resentment.

He loves the game as much as anyone, and I think has tried to do what's right for pool over the years even if he hasn't been as effective as he would like.

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Success ro9dg;4874047]There have been successes for the Mosconi Cup players - Brandon Shuff, Justin Bergman, SVB. Jeremy Sossei and Corey Deuel have all been making headlines recently.

But what is interesting is that last years 'Heroes n Villains' have adopted a higher profile approach towards developing the game. Rodney Morris and Dennis Hatch are currently offering coaching wherever they go. In fact The ROCKET is involved in a PAW project.

We must presume that Johnny Archer would lend his support for any junior program that he felt would benefit from having his name linked to it.

If all these things could be integrated then the future of pool in the US would indeed be bright.

But more importantly, now is the time to do it Mark is creating the building blocks and the mortar. We just need the pople to lay them.

Succeses? Shuff won a nobody bar box tournament with the who's who of regional American irrelevance.sossei got to a final and lost to our second best .and the only other threat in that tournament is someone who will never make the other team.bergman has been on a rip lately along with sky and its a shame that he isnt in the mix.Corey belongs on that second tier of American players(say hello to johnny).our first four should be (in no particular order) Shane Justin sky and mike d.the next ought to be rocket because he's been going abroad to face the world's toughest.hatch is behind him followed by shuff, jeremy, earl,corey, and johnny. Throw the pinoys and Taiwanese in the mix and our American team would be the fourth favorite.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Bergman being arguably the US most on form player and Sky is doing great also but unlike Bergman I have only seen sky play bar table. why does he not enter any tournaments on the 9ft? or 10ft? don't think he can be eligible for mosconi if he has very limited experience or the 9ft

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two things:

• Perhaps in Europe it is easier to make good money playing tournaments than in the USA.

• When Archer was a kid the older generation probably felt the same about him as he does about the current younger generation.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
it's interesting, from a marketing standpoint for Mosconi &/or PAW &/or "pool betterment" in general - that JA & MW don't post here.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Now I see why the USA loses at the Mosconi Cup most of the time. I have been in Germany for 5 days now and i see at 15 juniors in the pool room every day working on their game. They are very respectful to other players.

Sounds like planting the seed for future losing excuses. "Remember those respectful junior players I told you about in Germany? Now they are pros so of course they are going to win..." :p

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Garbage in, garbage out! I can't agree with you more! We are all trying to figure out the problem with pool because we are looking at it from the pool perspective! We need to look further than just pool! It's the type of people we as a nation have become! Pool will stay in the hole and sink lower and lower, not because of us as players, but because the country and its failure to be respectful to itself and others around!

I'm not trying to be political, but liberalism is a cause of this! The liberals would much rather keep giving hand outs and making sure the welfare people keep getting there checks and don't worry about a job,,,, the government will always take care of you!

We've lost our ways, hard work, determination, setting goals!! You don't have to look to far, I'll give you to prime examples with 2 players we all know,, Shane van boening and Mike dechaine! 2 phenominal players,,,, the best this country can come up with,,,, why is Shane traveling all over and Mike stuck in New England?? Answer, Shane has a good work ethic, Mike does not! Can you imagine if Mike put in the time that Shane has on the practice table!!!???!!! Holy macaroni bat man!!! I'm confident Mike would surpass Shane! But guess what??? Not gonna happen! Why? Simple, work ethic! Mike doesn't practice much, it's not in him to! I myself am not blaming Mike for that, he can do what he wishes! He is his own person and his own boss! At the end of the day, we can only blame ourselves for whatever situation we are in! Shane is where he is at because he put himself there, Mike is right where he wants to be! Shane is all over the world, Mike is all over New England!

The problem isn't with pool everyone, the problem is the people in general! The suffering world of pool is just a by product!

One more thing, I'm not putting anyone down, I'm not trash talking like some will suggest,,,, I'm simply stating obviouse facts about people!

I always say this, if you're happy with yourself, don't change! If you're not,, better change and make sure you change for the better! At the end of it all, the only person you can blame is yourself, unless your a typical liberal and want to blame it on someone else!

You make your own bed, lay down and go to sleep;)

I would hate to see what you would have posted if you were trying to be political. As a moderate, I could come up with an equally stereotypical argument that blames conservatism on everything. If you want to put your scapegoating on hold for a while we can discuss how to changes things for the better.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well..

Johnny has a good thought there and good advice. The big obstacle to over come is team USA, that is drawing talent from one country, facing Team Europe, that is drawing talent from several countries. Team USA would do well against team England, Team Germany, Team etc. Very hard to beat the combined talent of several countries. What would happen to the Mosconi Cup if a Team Pinoy was in the mix? I know where my money would lay.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny has a good thought there and good advice. The big obstacle to over come is team USA, that is drawing talent from one country, facing Team Europe, that is drawing talent from several countries. Team USA would do well against team England, Team Germany, Team etc. Very hard to beat the combined talent of several countries. What would happen to the Mosconi Cup if a Team Pinoy was in the mix? I know where my money would lay.

It's hard to map population into pool talent. Yes, the EU outnumbers the US 740 million to 320 million. But the Philippines have only 97 million and Taiwan just 23 million.

Also, Europe is much more liberal than the US, so a purported connection between liberalness and Mosconi Cup outcomes is pretty specious. And was the US meaningfully less liberal in 1994-2005 when the US was winning most years than in 2006+, which has mostly featured EU wins?

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont get it????

America has a population pool as large as all the European countries combined so that's not the problem, we just don't have good players. If we cant come up with 5 guys out of 350 million people, oh well.

The young guns aren't ready and the veterans cant play. SVB is the player, Rodney still has the tools, I just cant tell if he really wants it?

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree..., for the most part

Its sad that Johnny would make such comments.

In my mind, he is a hypocrite as he gambled often in his youth.

He and "Strong Arm" John are the SLOWEST shooting players on the planet, and that hasn't helped. I am a pool fan and he wears me out just watching him, imagine how his play must look to a lesser fan. Nit picking the table TO DEATH on every shot.

Finally, IMO, he is a chicken $hit to speak about disrespecting the game, and then not criticize Earl, and others, but mostly Earl. Earl hardly plays in a tournament or match without being an a$$, or worse to players, refs, and fans.

Ill take the young guns over Johnny many times in character and class. I have seen enough of Mr. Archer on auctions and coming on AZ - ONLY WHEN HE NEEDS SOMETHING. :angry:

Take me off the list of Johnny Archer fans.

Ken Strain

Archer should show up everywhere play everybody that comes up and try to find his game again. If he wants a leadership role, the winning will get you there not lip service.

If he won like SVB does then he could become the ambassador to the game, but not if you cant compete and he cant, not with anybody on the world scale.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
I picked this up from Johnny Archer's Facebook page and felt that it should have a wider airing on AZ:

Our young players in the USA can learn some things from these young (German) players....You earn respect by respecting the game first....
What has Mark Wilson done different than what was done in the past? If i am wrong then i stand corrected but i haven´t seen any change other than the players on the Mosconi Cup team.

:rotflmao1::rotflmao1: it must be 5 oçlock somewhere -

and there was a reason for that.

Facebook, is for your friends. AZB, is for your customer base.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member

He loves the game as much as anyone, and I think has tried to do what's right for pool over the years even if he hasn't been as effective as he would like.

I disagree. More what's best for Johnny!

Kd

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a little surprised that there have not been more fund raising activities. Pro-am matches, meet & greets, lessons, T-shirts, autographed apparel/equipment/memorabilia, etc... might be helpful. Even something as simple as offering VIP ticket packages to Blackpool - consisting of tickets, plus perhaps some joint team events (dinners, practices, or even travel to UK) - could raise much needed financial support.

I agree, as I've heard of very little going on in the fund raising area, I am not implying
in any way that Mark is not trying to raise funds. I just haven't seen it.

I remember reading a while ago something about Mosconi T-Shirts were going to be made up,
but haven't seen one yet or heard any more about them. I would think the up coming Turning Stone Joss tournament
would have been a great venue to sell a bunch at.

For that matter why weren't they sold at the Ginky Memorial or the recently completed Eastern States tournament ?
Why haven't Mosconi shirts been being sold right here on AZ Billiards for a few months already ? Are there any Mosconi Cup T-shirts yet,
maybe I missed it, has anyone seen one ?

I wish Mark and the U S team the best of luck and hope things work out good for them !

Last edited: