Johnny Archer & Mosconi Cup

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
I agree, as I've heard of very little going on in the fund raising area, I am not implying
in any way that Mark is not trying to raise funds. I just haven't seen it.

I remember reading a while ago something about Mosconi T-Shirts were going to be made up,
but haven't seen one yet or heard any more about them. I would think the up coming Turning Stone Joss tournament
would have been a great venue to sell a bunch at.

For that matter why weren't they sold at the Ginky Memorial or the recently completed Eastern States tournament ?
Why haven't Mosconi shirts been being sold right here on AZ Billiards for a few months already ? Are there any Mosconi Cup T-shirts yet,
maybe I missed it, has anyone seen one ?

I wish Mark and the U S team the best of luck and hope things work out good for them !

apparently, it takes 9 months to print (free) t-shirts & give them out @ tourneys. :cool:

i'm sure it was a typo :rolleyes:, but JA (& Shaun) will be here in 2 wks. NO WHERE on this flyer, is a reference to BEF, Mosconi, nor PAW. Joe Tucker was also here 2 days ago....

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=373483

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I'm a little surprised that there have not been more fund raising activities. Pro-am matches, meet & greets, lessons, T-shirts, autographed apparel/equipment/memorabilia, etc... might be helpful. Even something as simple as offering VIP ticket packages to Blackpool - consisting of tickets, plus perhaps some joint team events (dinners, practices, or even travel to UK) - could raise much needed financial support.
Great ideas!!

One more thing, I'm not putting anyone down, I'm not trash talking like some will suggest,,,, I'm simply stating obviouse facts about people!

I always say this, if you're happy with yourself, don't change! If you're not,, better change and make sure you change for the better! At the end of it all, the only person you can blame is yourself, unless your a typical liberal and want to blame it on someone else!

You make your own bed, lay down and go to sleep;)
Way to "not get political".

It's hard to map population into pool talent. Yes, the EU outnumbers the US 740 million to 320 million. But the Philippines have only 97 million and Taiwan just 23 million.

Also, Europe is much more liberal than the US, so a purported connection between liberalness and Mosconi Cup outcomes is pretty specious. And was the US meaningfully less liberal in 1994-2005 when the US was winning most years than in 2006+, which has mostly featured EU wins?
Great points.

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Johnny A. has had the chance to lead at least three times over the last few years. Each time he tried to shove his and his buddy's ideas down everyone's throat for the good of a few. Johnny A needs to go and try to help run his poolroom. By the way, how is that idea doing for him? Johnnyt

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree!!!!

I would hate to see what you would have posted if you were trying to be political. As a moderate, I could come up with an equally stereotypical argument that blames conservatism on everything. If you want to put your scapegoating on hold for a while we can discuss how to changes things for the better.

Not sure what point he was trying to make?? Did he really think that a conservative agenda is going to help develop better kids for pool?? Wow!

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
my 13yr old son just got home @ 5pm.
his English assignment is: SATIRICAL NEWS - he chose POOL....
(minors are not allowed >8pm in pool halls)

he has played from MT, to CA, to NV, to TX, to NY, to ATL, and NC.

how is POOL to progress?

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, as I've heard of very little going on in the fund raising area, I am not implying
in any way that Mark is not trying to raise funds. I just haven't seen it.

I remember reading a while ago something about Mosconi T-Shirts were going to be made up,
but haven't seen one yet or heard any more about them. I would think the up coming Turning Stone Joss tournament
would have been a great venue to sell a bunch at.

For that matter why weren't they sold at the Ginky Memorial or the recently completed Eastern States tournament ?
Why haven't Mosconi shirts been being sold right here on AZ Billiards for a few months already ? Are there any Mosconi Cup T-shirts yet,
maybe I missed it, has anyone seen one ?

I wish Mark and the U S team the best of luck and hope things work out good for them !

The best they come up with was a patch. So after all these posts, back to Johnny's legitimate question/statement, what really has Mark Wilson done differently?

The best they come up with was a patch. So after all these posts, back to Johnny's legitimate question/statement, what really has Mark Wilson done differently?
They went on a few field trips.

Who appointed Wilson anyway? Match room?

Participants should be merit based. Anything else is a farce.

bmsclayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
heard

I believe Justin Hall and John Schmidt were very recently training with Mark at his facility. Corey was here last week and I know he and JB were playing there. I think most of the team has been there to train. Justin has spent a lot of time working there. Dominguez was there before the PB tourney in April. I haven't heard much about Shuff and Sossei. I did hear Mark likes them both alot.

Mark isn't the most vocal guy on social media so we don't see and hear everything. I am not doubting his efforts are there though. I think he was involved with a Kraftig and pool commercial last week or so as well. No idea if it involved the MC or Lindenwood etc...

I am excited to watch this team play. Should be interesting at least. I think the Euro's would be tough for almost any 5 players to play though.Just thought I would provide some things I have heard and seen.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Give Mark and the team he chooses a chance

Mark deserves at least two Mosconi Cups to see how he does. Archer had his chance the past two years with CJ Wiley and Buddy Hall as Captains/Co-Captains!

Yes the Euorpean team is strong. Quite honestly an all British team of Appleton, Boyes, Peach, Melling and Potts would be a formidable team against the USA.

I hope Mark and the US Team do very well and I am sure they will represent our country in a professional manner no matter the outcome!

Go Team USA!

Wedge

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nonsense. Gambling has nothing to do with it.

People need a reason to play and improve. If there is nothing significant between bar leagues and full on world beater pro pool you end up having what we have which is nothing to get people to higher levels. Aside from a handful of naturally talented phenoms who had training as children from family or someone into pool, this country develops very few top level players. You got shortstops and some guys who played all their lives who are very good...not gonna ever be great.

To think we can't field 5 guys who can compete at Mosconi is shameful really. Now we are just gonna go in there with the best attitude ever...and get our teeth kicked in.

Question: what is your definition of "get our teeth kicked in"?

Would losing 11-2 qualify?

Lou Figueroa
just wonderin'

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe Justin Hall and John Schmidt were very recently training with Mark at his facility. Corey was here last week and I know he and JB were playing there. I think most of the team has been there to train. Justin has spent a lot of time working there. Dominguez was there before the PB tourney in April. I haven't heard much about Shuff and Sossei. I did hear Mark likes them both alot.

Mark isn't the most vocal guy on social media so we don't see and hear everything. I am not doubting his efforts are there though. I think he was involved with a Kraftig and pool commercial last week or so as well. No idea if it involved the MC or Lindenwood etc...

I am excited to watch this team play. Should be interesting at least. I think the Euro's would be tough for almost any 5 players to play though.Just thought I would provide some things I have heard and seen.

Thanks for the update.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
11-5 or worse.
Wanna bet they do better?

lol, well all I'm saying is that JA & Co. set the bar pretty low last year, losing 11-2. For anyone to suggest Mark's team has to do worse... I think they can get action.

Lou Figueroa
but whadda I know

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You missed Lou's point. The US lost 11-2, at home, in 2013, without Mark Wilson. The teeth have already been kicked in, the question is how to put them back in place.

Cory, shhhhh! I think this guy wants to bet this year's team will do worse, lmao.

I mean, what is that? 11-1?! 11-0?!

Lou Figueroa
you can't
make this stuff up

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im afraid he really hasn't said much there but i do agree that gambling and money should not be high on your list if you decide to devote yourself to pool.

Win to get sponsors; live off your sponsors.

Expecting to live off winnings is delusional.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question: what is your definition of "get our teeth kicked in"?

Would losing 11-2 qualify?

Lou Figueroa
just wonderin'

For years in pool rooms out here in LA there haven't been any young players coming up and that is the problem. JA when he was a kid as far as I have been told was a wagering road player. Pool rooms out here because of a shooting that happened at a pool room had a spike in insurance rates and they started to go to 21 and over at a lot of rooms.

German culture can't really be compared to America. I think Mark Wilson will do very well with the MC team and I personally would not bet against him.