Justin Bergman looking to gamble

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He doesn't have to grand stand on FB he knows every player out there , make a game and let the hide roll with the hair , DO finds action everywhere he goes Iv yet to see him posting on FB he's looking for a game

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Jimmy was that way, he knew how to generate action. And don't worry he could play too. I was TD at the McDermott Masters in Vegas the year he beat Earl in the finals (maybe late 80's).

Here's one I only saw twice in my life. First - Ed Kelly walks into the back room at Johnston City, in a room full of the best hustlers in the country, and proclaims he'll play anybody there some 9-Ball. No one makes a peep until a snoozing Luther Lassiter in the corner gets nudged and wakes up. Someone whispers in his ear and Luther gets up and looks at Kelly. He asks him, "What did you say?" Kelly's response, "I didn't mean you Mr. Lassiter." The room broke out in laughter.

Second - same scenario in Bend, Oregon where all the top players are gathered together for Ronnie Allen's big bash. I was working this event in 1976. The tournament had just ended with Dan Louie emerging victorious over Mike Sigel. The place was packed and into the room strides Denny Searcy, who had not played in the tournament or shown his face there until now. He looks around and says, "I'll play anybody here for $5,000!" Sigel, Hubbart, Rempe, Varner, Richie Florence, Ronnie etc. are all in the room. No one says boo until Louie Roberts steps up and says he wants to play but needs some backers. Somehow Louie gets together five grand and they play Ten Ahead 9-Ball. Louie is over matched and within three hours Denny has the money, and he's gone, disappearing like the Lone Ranger. I didn't see Denny again until he showed up in Bellflower to play in (and beat) the big Payball game.

Jimmy Reid was a great payball player,,,so was Ronnie Allen...
...but I think Denny Searcy was the best.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Learn me on some PAYBALL :confused:

Payball is played on a snooker table.....rack up the six colors and break like nine-ball,
Shoot in order, yellow to black....money on every ball....double on the last.

Some of the high rolling games were $100 a ball, $200 on the black, and double for a
complete run-out.
Denny won some big games shooting like this....lots of outs...even on the 6x12 at
Cochran's in Frisco.
He won over $40,000 at a big one in Dayton....early 70s, that was a lot of dough.

It's usually a group game, BTW....if 6-handed, you're collecting from 5 players.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is badass.

A good game coz a lot of money changes hands quickly. Like a ring game, but on steriods.
It is fun for all, until somebody starts winng 2, 3, 4 games in a row...chu-ching.

Ow.
Payball is played on a snooker table.....rack up the six colors and break like nine-ball,

Some of the high rolling games were $100 a ball, $200 on the black, and double for a
complete run-out.
Denny won some big games shooting like this....lots of outs...even on the 6x12 at
Cochran's in Frisco.
He won over $40,000 at a big one in Dayton....early 70s, that was a lot of dough.

It's usually a group game, BTW....if 6-handed, you're collecting from 5 players.

Maybe cause all the big action right is on one pocket. what about Shaw or Sky?

Hell, someone back The Pearl, he'll play! Lol

He might be pretty good friends with Skyler. Do friends gamble for big money against each other? Maybe that is why we have not heard about them 2 matching up? I do not know. I was just wondering who the stronger rotation (9 or 10 ball) player is though (Bergman or Woodward).

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member

complete run-out.
Cochran's in Frisco.

I like it!!

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
He might be pretty good friends with Skyler. Do friends gamble for big money against each other? Maybe that is why we have not heard about them 2 matching up? I do not know. I was just wondering who the stronger rotation (9 or 10 ball) player is though (Bergman or Woodward).

On a box, I'm would say Sky. When in gear, he's a pleasure to watch. Sky hits em top notch on a 9ft, but I would tip my hat to Justin on the bigtrack. Probably a coinflip.

Jimmy was that way, he knew how to generate action. And don't worry he could play too. I was TD at the McDermott Masters in Vegas the year he beat Earl in the finals (maybe late 80's).

Here's one I only saw twice in my life. First - Ed Kelly walks into the back room at Johnston City, in a room full of the best hustlers in the country, and proclaims he'll play anybody there some 9-Ball. No one makes a peep until a snoozing Luther Lassiter in the corner gets nudged and wakes up. Someone whispers in his ear and Luther gets up and looks at Kelly. He asks him, "What did you say?" Kelly's response, "I didn't mean you Mr. Lassiter." The room broke out in laughter.

Second - same scenario in Bend, Oregon where all the top players are gathered together for Ronnie Allen's big bash. I was working this event in 1976. The tournament had just ended with Dan Louie emerging victorious over Mike Sigel. The place was packed and into the room strides Denny Searcy, who had not played in the tournament or shown his face there until now. He looks around and says, "I'll play anybody here for $5,000!" Sigel, Hubbart, Rempe, Varner, Richie Florence, Ronnie etc. are all in the room. No one says boo until Louie Roberts steps up and says he wants to play but needs some backers. Somehow Louie gets together five grand and they play Ten Ahead 9-Ball. Louie is over matched and within three hours Denny has the money, and he's gone, disappearing like the Lone Ranger. I didn't see Denny again until he showed up in Bellflower to play in (and beat) the big Payball game.

I love stories like this. Very interesting.

complete run-out.
Cochran's in Frisco.

I wonder if players still play this game. Amazing to hear that players could break and run out anything similar to a 9 ball rack on a snooker table.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you ever seen an actual game of snooker?

JC

I have played with pool balls on a snooker table.

I wouldn't bet I could run out shooting the balls in the hole with my stick...no cb.

I always wonder about the tales of guys running racks on the ocean. They were playing on a different table than I. Had to be.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I wouldn't bet I could run out shooting the balls in the hole with my stick...no cb.

I always wonder about the tales of guys running racks on the ocean. They were playing on a different table than I. Had to be.

Ronnie Allen ran either a 5 or a 6 pack on the 6x12 at Cochrans...pockets were tight.
..much tighter than what you see Ronnie the Rocket playing on nowadays.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Around here it was red to pink and the game was called pink ball.
... Cochran's in The City ...
FTFY:wink:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Around here it was red to pink and the game was called pink ball.

FTFY:wink:

Never played it that way....always the black was the last ball.
Played a shorter variation at 4th and Main in LA...just the blue, pink, and black....
...racked froze in a straight line.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Team Bergman offered Billy Thorpe 10 games in a race to 100 they are looking to offer a fair game and are ready to gamble.

JC

Coos Cues

Weren't they using snooker balls in the game described? Yellow to Black?

JC

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Team Bergman offered Billy Thorpe 10 games in a race to 100 they are looking to offer a fair game and are ready to gamble.

Wow that's a lot. Hope it happens. Supposedly Berg beat Billy silly in 1p, but before Billy got good. I would like to see them play even in 1p.