Mechanics... Diomond Tables

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Don't know, I've tried every way possible to answer how the Artemis cushions are installed...so, I just don't know:confused:

chalkdust

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played some banks on a 9 ft. smart table yesterday, not a very smart table... You can throw everything you know about banking when you play on these tables.

It seems to me you all are giveing to much credit to subrail angle, rail thikness and the fabric control strip. The problem IS the round side on the bottom of the cushin, this is creating an unusual pinch at the cushin and the bed. No rubber has a ROUND edge down...

One more thing, the unusual ball hop is not the ball lifting off the rail, it is lifting off the bed after being pinched so hard between the two. Just take a look at the marks on the beds just below the rail, it happens on all tables but this is extreme.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I played some banks on a 9 ft. smart table yesterday, not a very smart table... You can throw everything you know about banking when you play on these tables.

It seems to me you all are giveing to much credit to subrail angle, rail thikness and the fabric control strip. The problem IS the round side on the bottom of the cushin, this is creating an unusual pinch at the cushin and the bed. No rubber has a ROUND edge down...

One more thing, the unusual ball hop is not the ball lifting off the rail, it is lifting off the bed after being pinched so hard between the two. Just take a look at the marks on the beds just below the rail, it happens on all tables but this is extreme.

Holly cow man, what is your point? If the rails on the blue label Diamond's was so wrong, then why in the hell does the "Hall of Fame" bank players that play banks on them like them so much?? Are YOU a world class bank player? Did you play on a modified Diamond, how old is it, who worked on it last?...all of them questions have a lot to do with how the table YOU played on...play today! Even Earl has commented on how much better the newer Diamond's play...and that's saying something. Ever watch a TAR matchup...not one of THEM players have anything negitive to say about playing on a newer Diamond. So, what's YOUR problem? Please, explain yourself that way I might have a better understanding as to where you're trying to go with this! If you DON'T like playing on Diamond's....then DON'T play on them, it's THAT simple.

Glen

chalkdust

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holly cow man, what is your point? If the rails on the blue label Diamond's was so wrong, then why in the hell does the "Hall of Fame" bank players that play banks on them like them so much?? Are YOU a world class bank player? Did you play on a modified Diamond, how old is it, who worked on it last?...all of them questions have a lot to do with how the table YOU played on...play today! Even Earl has commented on how much better the newer Diamond's play...and that's saying something. Ever watch a TAR matchup...not one of THEM players have anything negitive to say about playing on a newer Diamond. So, what's YOUR problem? Please, explain yourself that way I might have a better understanding as to where you're trying to go with this! If you DON'T like playing on Diamond's....then DON'T play on them, it's THAT simple.

Glen
I worked on it! I played on it to test it! It didn't pass!
Everyone will say they play great with new friction free cloth... The Diamond tables play great IMO but the 9ft.ers with the (upside down rubber) are nothing more than a gaff table after cloth has some time to break in.
My problem is NOT with Diamond tables, my problem is mechanics all over the country are installing this rubber upside down! Open your mindes and look at it.
I'm not just some bumb hillbilly that spends his time covering bar tables for a living. I have spent my time covering pool rooms and doing top notch antique table resturations. This includes rail work such as carom to pool, snooker to pool ext. Me and my partner have been installing Artemis Intercontinental 66 on pool tables for 20 years with great success.

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE OPEN YOUR MINDE AND TRY AND SEE MY POINT!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I worked on it! I played on it to test it! It didn't pass!
Everyone will say they play great with new friction free cloth... The Diamond tables play great IMO but the 9ft.ers with the (upside down rubber) are nothing more than a gaff table after cloth has some time to break in.
My problem is NOT with Diamond tables, my problem is mechanics all over the country are installing this rubber upside down! Open your mindes and look at it.
I'm not just some bumb hillbilly that spends his time covering bar tables for a living. I have spent my time covering pool rooms and doing top notch antique table resturations. This includes rail work such as carom to pool, snooker to pool ext. Me and my partner have been installing Artemis Intercontinental 66 on pool tables for 20 years with great success.

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE OPEN YOUR MINDE AND TRY AND SEE MY POINT!

Instead of answering my questions about what Diamond you're talking about, just take a damn picture of the logo on the head rail and post it here so I can see which Diamond table you're talking about, or better yet...what bar is it in so I can ask the sales people at Diamond when the table was built. There's a world of difference between the red logo and the blue, and there's no such thing as "friction free" cloth. I've asked you about the table several times, and all you want to do is complain about how the table banks. If the table is up in the Portland area, I don't believe it's a blue logo Diamond.

And one last thing, if you don't think the thickness of the sub-rail has anything to do with how the cushions play, then YOU need to do some more R&D.

Glen

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
I always did love when someone asks a question, then argues with the answer. Even my 4 and 9yr old kids know that most of the time, that's not appropriate. I also love the "No, I'm not wrong, every one else is wrong" mentality.

So what I'm gathering from this is that you worked on the table last, installed the rubber upside down relative to what all of us do, now it plays like shit and so you're upset with all of us because we all install the rubber wrong and the Diamond you worked on doesn't play right? Seems legit. My mind is open.

chalkdust

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always did love when someone asks a question, then argues with the answer. Even my 4 and 9yr old kids know that most of the time, that's not appropriate. I also love the "No, I'm not wrong, every one else is wrong" mentality.

So what I'm gathering from this is that you worked on the table last, installed the rubber upside down relative to what all of us do, now it plays like shit and so you're upset with all of us because we all install the rubber wrong and the Diamond you worked on doesn't play right? Seems legit. My mind is open.

No sir, factory installed rubber.

JZMechanix

Silver Member
Diamond 9' Pro Am's are used in many of the most prestigious tour events around the world.... from the US Open, to Derby City, to The TAR table in Vegas where the greatest players in the world match up for big $$$.

Do you honestly think that those are, as you say "gaff" tables?

Don't you think maybe, just maybe :rolleyes: the engineers at Diamond and Artemis would have figured out the correct orientation of the cushions?

Yes, Diamond did make a change to their subrail specs a few years ago to help the tables bank better, but that change had nothing to do with the rubber being "upside down".

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't understand what I'm supposed to be opening my mind to?

Are we supposed to be changing our minds about which way to install the intercontinental cushion?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Diamond 9' Pro Am's are used in many of the most prestigious tour events around the world.... from the US Open, to Derby City, to The TAR table in Vegas where the greatest players in the world match up for big $$$.

Do you honestly think that those are, as you say "gaff" tables?

Don't you think maybe, just maybe :rolleyes: the engineers at Diamond and Artemis would have figured out the correct orientation of the cushions?

Yes, Diamond did make a change to their subrail specs a few years ago to help the tables bank better, but that change had nothing to do with the rubber being "upside down".

Not to mention the "Mosconi Cup" tournament:rolleyes::grin:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Instead of answering my questions about what Diamond you're talking about, just take a damn picture of the logo on the head rail and post it here so I can see which Diamond table you're talking about, or better yet...what bar is it in so I can ask the sales people at Diamond when the table was built. There's a world of difference between the red logo and the blue, and there's no such thing as "friction free" cloth. I've asked you about the table several times, and all you want to do is complain about how the table banks. If the table is up in the Portland area, I don't believe it's a blue logo Diamond.

And one last thing, if you don't think the thickness of the sub-rail has anything to do with how the cushions play, then YOU need to do some more R&D.

Glen

David, did I meet you a long time ago, in the Portland, OR area, wasn't you building pool tables back then and ask me about building American made coin-operated pool tables?

Glen

Glen...what other pool tables do you know of that have the hump side of the cushion on the bottom?
Cause I sure can't think of one......but if anyone knows.....I'm sure that would be YOU.

Mark Gregory

chalkdust

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you going to answer my questions about the table or not?
This was a blue lable table, I have also seen same issues on GC tables with this same bubber. I truely regret bringing up the Diamond name because as I said before I think they are the BEST table on the market and it is made in the USA. I am well aware of the effects that subrail thikness and angle have on the way a table plays. My problem is round side down, that just can't be right. The nose of the cushin contacts the ROUND ball above the equator, now round ball is makeing contact with round cushin causing more surface area of the ball to come in contact with the cushin. This were the extra friction occurs, the more play on the table the more friction. (friction free was an exaggeration, you got my point)
Here is something else that has come to my attention, the Artemis Intercontinental POOL No.66 rubber HAS changed, if you have a NEW Muellers catalog have a look. The new rubber is pool rubber not carom rubber. They have been selling carom rubber for pool without giving proper instruction IMO. I stated before, I have installed carom rubber upside down because I just didn't know any better.
I have picked up a few hints of this being an ongoing problem, am I exposing some kind of secret? If so tell me to STFU and I will. Can this be as simple as upside down???? I think so..

Thanks for reading Dave from Indy

chalkdust

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have been posting about this issue for some time and now you want to pipe in and be a smart a$$?? Instead of dogging me why not tell me why YOU think I'm wrong. Try and use your own words, don't tell me becausy "they" say so. Maybe you can ask your kids for some help.