Meucci Cues.... Whats your opinion????

MeucciMan79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently purchased a Meucci cue with the Black Dot shaft. It arrived in perfect condition. After using it for a couple of days now I have to say that I am very impressed. The hit and feel suit me very well. I had a long conversation with the sales rep before I placed my order. He claimed to have worked for Bob Meucci for many years. I asked him about all of the negative reviews and he admitted that at one time they were having a LOT of problems with quality control, lamination's coming apart etc. but that this is now resolved owing to a new factory and purchase of their own laminating machine rather than having a second party do this for them. Anyway, I love the cue. It plays better than any of my other cues which include McDermott, Lucasi and Viking. Never tried a Predator shaft, I'm sure they are quite good as well. But I don't think you can go wrong with a Meucci. How a cue feels and plays is largely subjective anyway. I purchased the Meucci as I wasn't completely satisfied with my other cues - part of my search for just the right cue. I think I may have found it.
I was at uncle Bob Meucci's house a week ago, he does all of the laminating at home, I helped help do some while there for a visit. He has really turned things around here in the past few years. You want a treat? If your ever in the Memphis area take a trip down old HWY78 to Goodman road, then Goodman out towards the Mount Pleasant area and take a tour of the new Meucci factory! Amazing, Bob has put in one of the nicest pool rooms you will ever see. If your lucky you might get to see and play a pro billiard player while there, hell I played with Buddy hall and a few other legends last week while there!

4onthebreak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a 9710 with a black dot shaft for about 3 years now and it's a solid cue. I got it for 100.00 used and it's been a great investment. I haven't used every cue out there, but I'm toyed with cues from friends and teammates and with the exception of a couple of predators I liked I'll take my Meucci.

Preferences in pool cues are so subjective it's so hard to tell what someone would or wouldn't like. Maybe every other Meucci on the planet is terrible but in my case it's served me well.

knifemaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cues

Why is it that so many people complain about American made products and then buy stuff from China or elswhere and then wonder why the American craftsman is going away. Why can't we stand up in America and say we need to buy American. Support your local craftsman not the chinesej or other country. The only thing about free trade is it frees our money up to send to countries that hate us and want to do us harm and so many people don't give a crap about country anymore. At least not until they need help.
Enough said you can now take this off as u will anyway.

BUY AMERICAN AND KEEP AMERICA FREE

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Thanks for all the imput on the Meucci cues. I DID cancel the order, I do not want to risk all that for the price tag on it.
I went with the Mcdermott G701 with the I2 shaft. This was up there as the more appealing cues to me, and you cant beat lifetime warranty including warp. And also that maintenance plan that replaces the moori tip every six months. I couldnt pass it up.

Thanks for all the imput.

From a customer service standpoint McD cannot be beat. The maintenance plan is more than just a tip every 6. They do a 10 point inspection and clean it up like new.

I sent 2 cues back with 4 shafts, 1 standard, 1 GCore and 2 I2. The Gcore has a cracked ferrule. Total cost for service including the ferrule replacement $21.95 Add $20 to that for the Kamuii installed on the standard shaft. How can you beat it?

The big knock on Meucci is not playability (those that shoot with them seem to love them) rather it is quality control.

:cool:

How

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently purchased a Meucci cue with the Black Dot shaft. It arrived in perfect condition. After using it for a couple of days now I have to say that I am very impressed. The hit and feel suit me very well. I had a long conversation with the sales rep before I placed my order. He claimed to have worked for Bob Meucci for many years. I asked him about all of the negative reviews and he admitted that at one time they were having a LOT of problems with quality control, lamination's coming apart etc. but that this is now resolved owing to a new factory and purchase of their own laminating machine rather than having a second party do this for them. Anyway, I love the cue. It plays better than any of my other cues which include McDermott, Lucasi and Viking. Never tried a Predator shaft, I'm sure they are quite good as well. But I don't think you can go wrong with a Meucci. How a cue feels and plays is largely subjective anyway. I purchased the Meucci as I wasn't completely satisfied with my other cues - part of my search for just the right cue. I think I may have found it.

I've never had even one moment's problem with any Meucci cue stick or shaft. I've got old cues and new cues. I really like the new cues and especially the Black Dot and Ultimate Weapon shafts. I couldn't even tell you how many players have used my shafts and put their Predators away and ordered Meucci's. I do not know about their service, but their product is A #1! The other day, a friend said he wished he'd of shot my UW shaft before he ordered his new Tiger shaft.

Sawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
style

i saw you already cancelled order and went to mcdermott. i dont see how you can go wrong with mcdermott great cues and the i shafts hit great. but it is all about your style of play. i dont know how far it goes but around hear we have a couple of those old meucci players they wouldnt put that cue down for anything. its almost like they play on the edgeput crazy spin on the ball and have adjusted to make the shot. i have an oringinal and a pre dot i dont play with them but like the way they both feel have played with red dot no complaint lil different but equally good. the black dot the only thing about those are i prefer to get the 13mm shaft on those the 1275 black dot just feels funny not bad just funnybut all in all i have seen one meucci that had a flaw and it was just the inside of joint collar. but play with the mcd u wont be disapointed.

porper-sig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would probably be better off with almost anything else. There are a huge range of top quality cues that are under $500. Schon, Pechauer, Mezz... just to name a few.

Cancel the Moochi order if you can still do it :yes:

^ ^
Bang on advice..:thumbup:

Rio19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never had even one moment's problem with any Meucci cue stick or shaft. I've got old cues and new cues. I really like the new cues and especially the Black Dot and Ultimate Weapon shafts. I couldn't even tell you how many players have used my shafts and put their Predators away and ordered Meucci's. I do not know about their service, but their product is A #1! The other day, a friend said he wished he'd of shot my UW shaft before he ordered his new Tiger shaft.

I use to won a Meucci it was a RB3 blue model. After playing with it for a while it never felt quite right to me. I ordered a Predator Sneaky Pete and I think the Meucci got thrown in the trash or something. I would honestly rather play with a house cue over a Meucci. There product has falling off over the years and it seems to not be getting better.

I know there are Meucci fans that swear by them and thats cool. But in my opinion they are not worth the money you pay for them. Hell I have a 65 dollar Players cue that plays just as good as that missing Meucci of mine did.

And the last time I checked I think it was 56% of the pro players used Predator in some way shape or form. How Many use Meucci?

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They have pretty much sucked for the last 10yrs at least. You can buy 10 Vikings or McD's and they'll all be damn near perfect. Try that with Meucci. Don't waste your $.

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The evolution of a meme

All this Predator talk reminds me of psychology classes I took many years ago in college where "predators & parasites" were discussed.
Somewhere along the line, Bob Meucci's company turned out a few poor cues or provided some less-than-satisfactory service and the word got out.
The "word" was really a meme that has rapidly evolved over time. This pattern of behavior where discontented language is used to diminish the value and technology of the Meucci cuestick has been replicating for years. In fact, it has become fashionable to deride Meucci cues as though possessing this "inside" information is a badge of honor.

The truth is that memes are patterns of information created by an act of human intentionality and the meme encrusted around Meucci cues is without reasonable merit.

A mind free from the meme is all that it takes to enjoy the top-quality accuracy provided by the Black Dot shaft on a good Power Piston butt.

Rio19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All this Predator talk reminds me of psychology classes I took many years ago in college where "predators & parasites" were discussed.
Somewhere along the line, Bob Meucci's company turned out a few poor cues or provided some less-than-satisfactory service and the word got out.
The "word" was really a meme that has rapidly evolved over time. This pattern of behavior where discontented language is used to diminish the value and technology of the Meucci cuestick has been replicating for years. In fact, it has become fashionable to deride Meucci cues as though possessing this "inside" information is a badge of honor.

The truth is that memes are patterns of information created by an act of human intentionality and the meme encrusted around Meucci cues is without reasonable merit.

A mind free from the meme is all that it takes to enjoy the top-quality accuracy provided by the Black Dot shaft on a good Power Piston butt.

Meucci having terrible quality and worse customer service did them in. Not to mention they play like Sh*t. But this is just my opinion. If it works for you then I am all for it. But due to my experience with Meucci I woul rather use a house cue with a bend in it.

rebelchris

rebelchris
Silver Member
My personal experience with meucci has been really good. i own 6 meucci cues including a 1980's original, a cheap european edition, high pro 3, hof 2, rev 2 and david howard. i dont shoot with the david howard (due to collectability reasons) but the other cues i love. i have never had any issues with any of them. i also have several friends with meucci cues and have never heard any complaints from them. i really think meucci cues are rather special. in terms of shooting quality-i think the black dot shoots well. i have been playing with it more than the pre dot shaft lately and like it fine. i honestly could shoot with either shaft but like the black dot just a little better. i have shot with other cue brands but just like the "feel" of the meucci (which very well could be a mental thing). outside of the shooting quality of meucci cues, i love the look of meucci. i usually shoot with my cheap european edition and have the others on display. with meucci, it seems to be a love or hate thing, but i just think its hard to beat the look and feel combination of a meucci cue.

Inferno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I know about Meucci cues (and it's not too much).

I have owned 3 meucci and regularly shoot with two more that a friend owns.

They are OK. I liked my Adams a lot more.
I currently own a Meucci and never play it because the shaft is warped and refuses to stay straight despite hours of steam treating and wedging it. It will take straight and over a couple months warp back. It's a red dot shaft. I've heard those shafts are better.

Having said al that...

When I went to buy my first "real" cue I went with my friend to a place called "Billiards and Bagels". He was having an event to hep people pick a cue.
His plan was simple. He had about 60 cues laid out over 4 tables and asked my price range. I told him less than $500. That left me to pick from three tables.
Then he asked my shooting style, which I didn't know. He told me to take any cue to a table set up with a few cue balls and a few colored balls and told me to shoot.
After that he pulled a half dozen cues off the tables and put them in a rack and told me to shoot with all of them and pick two.
I was surprised at how different I did with the cues. Each one seemed to shoot different. (BTW, my buddy was doing the same thing).
After I picked my two cues he put the other four back and grabbed four more. And again I was told to shoot them... We did this a few times til I was whittled down to 3 cues. One was a Meucci and the other two were, I think, McDermott.

Now I was told to shoot a whole rack of bals counting my shots.
The Meucci (97-11) was the best out of the bunch. So I bought it.

Forget brand names. Forget the "style" of the cue.
Go to a reputable seller and shoot his stock to find YOUR best cue. If he won't let you shoot his stock then find someone who will. Special ordering a cue from a general retailer is a mistake if you are looking for a perfect cue, for you. Now if you want to impress people then buy one that looks hot.

Now, a custom cue is a completely different story...

Last edited:

buddylee

Registered
Meucci having terrible quality and worse customer service did them in. Not to mention they play like Sh*t. But this is just my opinion. If it works for you then I am all for it. But due to my experience with Meucci I would rather use a house cue with a bend in it.

I currently own a Meucci, I have had it for 10 years mostly as a paperweight. I bought it from a local shop and after about 6 weeks the butt started to warp. I called Meucci to tell them I would like this fixed. They asked a series of questions and then told me I didn't buy it from an authorized seller...long story short I still own a warped to hell inlays popping out $475 paper weight I can't get 100 bucks for.

MeucciMan79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I currently own a Meucci, I have had it for 10 years mostly as a paperweight. I bought it from a local shop and after about 6 weeks the butt started to warp. I called Meucci to tell them I would like this fixed. They asked a series of questions and then told me I didn't buy it from an authorized seller...long story short I still own a warped to hell inlays popping out $475 paper weight I can't get 100 bucks for.

I would like the inlays, pop them out and mail them to me. I would pay you for them! :thumbup: I am wanting to put real Meucci inlays in a frame I am making for my Signed Meucci poster. It is singed by Bob of course and Buddy Hall

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my Meucci experience

I have a Meucci 9710 with 12.5 mm Black Dot shaft. They made the 62" cue up for me. I have used it for about 8 months and it works very well, no complaints with cue. After dealing with them and placing my order and checking on it I would give them about a C- on a report card. They souded disorganized on the phone, seemed to have stuck my cue in a corner and forgot to mail it, etc. I recently talked to them about making me up another 31" Black Dot 12.5 mm shaft with a SS Radial pin. The guy I spoke with said to check back in a month or so as all Black Dot shafts are going on their own cues for now and they are to busy to do a custom order. I appreciated the information. So it looks like some one is buying them. Go figure.

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ordering another Meucci cue

I love my Meucci cues so much, I'm going to order yet another one. This order is going to be for the PA-5 Patriot with 2 Ultimate Weapon shafts. I can't wait. :)

rebelchris

rebelchris
Silver Member
I love my Meucci cues so much, I'm going to order yet another one. This order is going to be for the PA-5 Patriot with 2 Ultimate Weapon shafts. I can't wait. :)

how do you like the ultimate weapon? much difference in it and the black dot?

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how do you like the ultimate weapon? much difference in it and the black dot?

When I place 2 balls firm against the short rail at the other end of the table about 3 inches apart, I'm able to use BHE beautifully to pot either one. I find it easier to do with the UW shaft than my BD. I'm not sure why, but I just feel more confident with it. It's probably a "head" thing.:smile: