Meucci Cues

dom_poppa

Banned
My experience with Meucci is that it plays well but quality is just horrible. Also, the designs are way outdated. It looks like gaudy and to some people, looks like an old man's cue.

I would not buy a Meucci. It's better than not having a cue but the quality has to make you wonder.

Their cues seem to be very flexible.

dom_poppa

Banned
I beg to differ. Yes stroke is important but some cues achieve more spin/draw with less effort. Playability.

I agree with this. For some reason, I can draw like crazy with a Meucci and effortless.

One of the most underrated discussions on here, while stroke is important but certain cues make it easier than others.

Like I mentioned, I think because Meucci's are so flexible that it generates good backspin.

PhoenixVA

Old Rookie
Silver Member
I agree with this. For some reason, I can draw like crazy with a Meucci and effortless.

One of the most underrated discussions on here, while stroke is important but certain cues make it easier than others.

Like I mentioned, I think because Meucci's are so flexible that it generates good backspin.

For me, it was a trade-off of sorts. With the original, whippy shaft, I could put MASSIVE english on the cue ball. But adjusting for deflection was a complete nightmare. However, with the black dot, english is nowhere near like the original shaft, BUT the deflection is fairly less, also.

Maybe we should do like golfers, and have different cues for different shots. Whippy-shaft cue for massive english shots, and a stiff-shaft cue for less english and more accuracy. LOL! I do have a thicker shaft black dot that has less deflection than a thinner black dot shaft I use regularly. I tend to use the stiffer, thicker shaft for one pocket and straight pool, simply because I try not to get too crazy with the english and move around TOO much.

PhoenixVA

Old Rookie
Silver Member
Agreed

I beg to differ. Yes stroke is important but some cues achieve more spin/draw with less effort. Playability.

Totally agree. I played with an Espiritu years ago that was darn near effortless in moving the cue ball around with not quite as much extreme english. Then again, I've played with cues where everything seemed like a struggle. Could have been the tip, could have been the shaft, could have been a combination of the two. It could have even been a confidence factor that playing with what I thought a good, quality cue would do for me. SO MANY FACTORS INVOLVED!

dom_poppa

Banned
For me, it was a trade-off of sorts. With the original, whippy shaft, I could put MASSIVE english on the cue ball. But adjusting for deflection was a complete nightmare. However, with the black dot, english is nowhere near like the original shaft, BUT the deflection is fairly less, also.

Maybe we should do like golfers, and have different cues for different shots. Whippy-shaft cue for massive english shots, and a stiff-shaft cue for less english and more accuracy. LOL! I do have a thicker shaft black dot that has less deflection than a thinner black dot shaft I use regularly. I tend to use the stiffer, thicker shaft for one pocket and straight pool, simply because I try not to get too crazy with the english and move around TOO much.

The english that a Meucci generates is unbelievable. I actually prefer compensating for deflection as that's how I learned how to play pool. I love the newer Predator shaft because of the accuracy on long distant shots and cutting but they are too stiff for my liking when it comes to trying to manipulate the ball.

It's hard for me to just shoot straight and believe that a cue with less deflection will magically travel down the table and not break to the left or right. So I prefer cues that are not stiff or have fancy low deflection shaft.

To each it's own but I think I have found that perfect balance.

For me to get the best of both worlds, I play with a lighter cue at 18oz and under with a 12.75 shaft. Thin shaft gives it some flex and the lighter cue lessens the impact upon contact. It's up to the shooter to decide how much juice to put on the ball rather than playing accordingly to a heavier cue's weight. When I play with a heavier cue, I tend to shoot softer on certain shots. I rather put more juice on a shot with a lighter cue than to compensate and shoot softer with a heavier cue.

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pre 90 Meucci Originals were the best cues Meucci ever made.

This is true... I have two OL1's (98% mint cond-twins) that hit/play awesome. (not for sale) Originally purchased in South Haven MS 1987' ish. The only thing I've done to them is polished out (mirrored) the Joint collars. Although I have the original shafts (w/ Kamui Blk med tips) I do play now (last 10 years or so) with other brands of LD shaft on these. But they look and play great.

Would love to try out the 'Newer Upgrade' - Series Pro 5 (like I configured on page 1 of this thread)... I guess I'll have to wait until I hear from others 'review' of this Series since "Uncle Bob" hasn't responded to my trade up offer...

20 year Customer appreciation...'support'...? well I guess times are hard everywhere.

Randy

picture.php

Last edited:

Horsetrader

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pre 90 Meucci Originals were the best cues Meucci ever made.

True statement but early 90's, the expensive cues are really good. I have one, an 8 point, nickel joint Meucci. Love the cue and the batteries are still good in it.

Webbs Billiards

Billiards Dealer
Silver Member
I've never seen factory seconds of Viking or mcdermott either but I have seen lucky, star, valhalla and poison. They accomplish the same thing as a factory second and that getting your product in the hands of more players. I do not have a problem with either and I have owned an overlayed Chinese built cue by big name American company till I fell in love with a whimpy mooch.

That's because Viking refuses to sell seconds, any mistakes are recycled.
I personally wish Meucci wouldn't sell 2nds because I believe it's bad for business. I don't buy their 2nds and I definitely don't sell them.
I absolutely love Meucci cues, I own and play with several. I don't expect carbon copy perfection between one cue to the next though.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're the exception to the rule.
I've never been one to bash a company, but atleast when you do it, you make it fun rather than hateful. Thanks for being a fun nemesis.

I told you a while back that I would stop bashing Meucci cues on the forum.
But sometimes I can't resist.