My Balabushka

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> I've had a chance to look at or play with 5-6 real-deal Bushkas in my life,and seen pics of many more. Your's in the first and only one I've ever wanted,starting with the article in P+B. Tommy D.

Hal2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stand in Line

Tommy-D said:
> I've had a chance to look at or play with 5-6 real-deal Bushkas in my life,and seen pics of many more. Your's in the first and only one I've ever wanted,starting with the article in P+B. Tommy D.

Tommy,
You better take your proper place - in line, behind the rest of us.
Hal

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nearly lost the cue

On three different occasions I have nearly lost this cue. The last time was around 1977.

I was in a bar 20 or 30 miles south of Paducah KY called "Tuney's Seabreeze". This place was out in the country in the middle of nowhere. I never did understand the name of this place. I carefully parked my car by the glass front door underneath the entry light so I could keep an eye on it (Balabushka in the trunk, Szamboti "Sneaky Paul" in the bar).

Two o'clock rolled around and the owner turned off the entry light and the result was that I could only see a reflection from the door and could not see outside. Sure enough, ten minutes passes and it was plenty of time for thieves to shatter a window to get into the car. They attempted to punch the trunk lock but failed. I had a power trunk so it may have had something to do with it being so difficult. They then pried one side of the trunk deck up, hoping to reach down in and get any valuables.

I must have spooked them when I came out the door. I am sure they were in the act although I never saw them. The owner and the patrons all came outside and they were all very concerned and the owner apologized up and down. I had the patrons lift the side of the trunk deck that had been bent where the thieves tried to get in while I reached down in the trunk to feel for the Balabushka (to heck with the money). I felt it there! Usually it is three strikes and your out. This cue was destined to stay in my possession. The Balabushka never took another trip with me again.

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
Paul Schofield said:
The Balabushka never took another trip with me again.

At what point did you realize this cue was going to be more than some ordinary cue?
Having a new cue made by a great cue maker is always special :) But you know what I am trying to get at I hope. Most people buy and sell all the time (as I am sure everyone here knows), so I was just curious as to when you said this was going to be a keeper and one day a Highly collectible piece (deciding to keep the box etc...) Obviously in 77 you felt this, but when you got the cue made, did you feel Balabushka was going to be what he has become?

Last edited:

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keepers

I keep the things that I like. I do not sell something I like because the price is right. I never really thought about the cue having value to anyone else but me. There have been a few instances that alerted me to the cues value. Ten or twelve years ago I got a call out of the blue from a Brad Simpson. He is a noted gun collector and also wrote the Blue Book on pool cues. He said at that time "I have one goal in my life at this moment and it is to own your Balabushka and that box". I did not talk to him about selling it because I like the cue.

I kept the box because I needed a place to store the third Balabushka shaft. In the mid 70s, cases could only accommodate two shafts. Saving the box was a fluke.

lenoxmjs

Brazilian Rosewood Fan
Silver Member
What a really great cue and the stories make it even better . I'd keep that baby in my fireproof gun safe for sure.

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
lenoxmjs said:
What a really great cue and the stories make it even better . I'd keep that baby in my fireproof gun safe for sure.

Absolutely. Always great to hear the stories behind the old cues. Very few people can actually comment on them, as they are most of the time not the original owner. It is the same with all of history in any sport or event, best find out about it while the people are around to tell their story, as one day the ones who are apart of that history, will not always be around... Speaking of which, would be kinda cool to have a thread for people who had dealings with some of the older cue makers such as Bushka, Szamboti, Paradise to tell more about em etc...

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Hello Paul is the cues forearm Curly Maple or is it just the Photo.

Thanks very much for taking the time to post the photo and all the information about this cue.

Thanks Craig

Last edited:

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tiger Maple

I was always told that the forearm was "Tiger Maple". There is not a single fleck of a birdseye to be seen by the points. There is only the shimmer of the rings from the tiger pattern. It is one of the many features that combine to make this cue so beautiful.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Paul Schofield said:
I was always told that the forearm was "Tiger Maple". There is not a single fleck of a birdseye to be seen by the points. There is only the shimmer of the rings from the tiger pattern. It is one of the many features that combine to make this cue so beautiful.

Thanks for the answer Paul, the reason I asked is because your's is the second Balabushka I have seen with Curly or Tiger Maple used for the forearm. The other cue is owned locally by a Gentleman here in Washington State. He is in his early sixties and he use to live in New York, no far from Georges house / garage/ Shop. He use to stop by and talk to George and ended up buying two Balabushka Cues in the 1970's. The fanciest cue of the two was stolen and never recovered, and the other cue is still his daily player. Below are some photo's of the cue in question.

Bushka 7.jpg

Bushka 2.jpg

Bushka 1.jpg

Bushka 3.jpg

JimmyRayK

Gina collector
Silver Member
I don't even know how to make a post worthy of this cue.

Absolutely unbelievable...............

JimmyK

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Business Card

Here is a close-up of the business card on the box.
George Balabushka addressed his own shipping boxes.

Attachments

• IMG_1613.JPG
    IMG_1613.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,564
Last edited:

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paul Schofield said:
Happy New Year! For your viewing: Paul Schofield's Balabushka

box
leather wrap
thread protector
Szamboti forearm blank
three Balabushka shafts (ivory ferrules)
three Szamboti shafts (ivory ferrules)
maple windows
ebony points
Bushka rings
Fellini black textured leather case

now that i have your address i'm coming to steal that cue. naw i'm bsing you.

dukeboy1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paul

Paul Schofield said:
Happy New Year! For your viewing: Paul Schofield's Balabushka

box
leather wrap
thread protector
Szamboti forearm blank
three Balabushka shafts (ivory ferrules)
three Szamboti shafts (ivory ferrules)
maple windows
ebony points
Bushka rings
Fellini black textured leather case

Paul, Jeff Duke here...Your pics are VERY good! It looks as good in the pics as it does in person! I didn't even know you were ON this site sir...Good luck and take care, Jeff

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hit a ball

I was thinking the other day about the last time this cue was put together. When was the last time it hit a ball? Is the cue still straight? Is the hit still solid? Could the glues break down or could the material dryrot? It has been more than 30 years since My Balabushka was played with.

So I put the Balabushka together, rolled it on the table, and hit a few balls. To my relief, the cue is perfectly straight and hits as solid as it ever did.

This cue is something special. I thank everyone for all the compliments.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Something Special

Paul Schofield said:
I was thinking the other day about the last time this cue was put together. When was the last time it hit a ball? Is the cue still straight? Is the hit still solid? Could the glues break down or could the material dryrot? It has been more than 30 years since My Balabushka was played with.

So I put the Balabushka together, rolled it on the table, and hit a few balls. To my relief, the cue is perfectly straight and hits as solid as it ever did.

This cue is something special. I thank everyone for all the compliments.
Absolutely a great piece of History...
Its so unique to see the original shipping box from George ,
Thanks again for the post

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paul Schofield said:
Here is a close-up of the business card on the box.
George Balabushka addressed his own shipping boxes.

The phone number sure dates the box... Its got TE as the first 2 numbers.

Off topic, does anyone know why the first 2 numbers of a telephone number were expressed as letters?

On topic, Amazing piece of pool history.