My JB Case experience

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
... I had to block him from everything due to harassing messages over a simple political discussion ...

Sadly, these days that topic can ignite a firestorm of "craziness" in a lot of folks, and it's not just limited to the US either. All together now - say ..... "Brexit". Often it depends on which side you're on as to "passion vs. crazy." Religion is another topic that tends to bring out the worst in people. In pool related discussions - aiming systems tends to be a pretty volatile subject. Just an observation.

Now me and Mr. Trump are going to discuss CTE down at the Synagogue. .... Oops I did it again. That's what happens when you let your inside voice get loose. :)

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered my case back in October 5 and asked for status twice and never receive any reply. So it's almost ten weeks and counting.

Shit mines sounding like the worst possible case so far. Submitted an order on June 1 through his website that at the time he was *****ing that no one used. Sent a follow up email. No word back. July 17 I get John's attention during a live stream about this. I resend my what I thought was my confirmation email. He responds with "got it, will quote you today on this." and never got a quote. Met up with John at the APA Nationals. Sat down and designed my case. Due to a recent purchase of golf clubs I told John I needed to wait until I arrived back home to make a payment. Once I arrived back home I sent John another email/replaying to the design he made up, indicating I wanted to send payment for my case. Once again no reply.

Here I am 6 months after I tried to order a case only to be met with no replys each time. To top it off this would be my third case I've order directly from John. First one was a custom prototype, second one was a rugged. But I guess third time I don't get a case.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not sure if I posted this before. I was not a John fan in the beginning. But His case reviews were so positive I ordered one and now have five. Do yourself a favor a buy one that is finished and ready to ship.

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shit mines sounding like the worst possible case so far. Submitted an order on June 1 through his website that at the time he was *****ing that no one used. Sent a follow up email. No word back. July 17 I get John's attention during a live stream about this. I resend my what I thought was my confirmation email. He responds with "got it, will quote you today on this." and never got a quote. Met up with John at the APA Nationals. Sat down and designed my case. Due to a recent purchase of golf clubs I told John I needed to wait until I arrived back home to make a payment. Once I arrived back home I sent John another email/replaying to the design he made up, indicating I wanted to send payment for my case. Once again no reply.

Here I am 6 months after I tried to order a case only to be met with no replys each time. To top it off this would be my third case I've order directly from John. First one was a custom prototype, second one was a rugged. But I guess third time I don't get a case.

Similar experience. I ordered one that took longer than told but was totally happy when I got it. I have since got two people that I know of if not more to get a case from him. Contacting him is always an issue. I tried to have another case done and three emails and two phone calls. Still no response. It’s very frustrating when you want to spend money on something and the person just doesn’t want it.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
...Do yourself a favor a buy one that is finished and ready to ship.

I'll keep this in mind GC. It's a thought - but right now there's nothing there I really like in 4x8 .. I'll think about the 3x6 though. I'll also check out that "free if not on time" thing I saw a while back.

Last edited:

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have three JB cases, L-R: 10-cue tube dealer case, 1990's Instroke 'Nature' and 1x2 Hustler. John's cases are so innovative and interesting that I bought the Hustler just to get a close look at it - great case that I had no cue to put in! My dealer case is also largely empty now, but way too useful to ever depart with - holds old Brunswick tubes, Fellini-size 1x2 cases, plus the felt cue pockets it was designed to hold. For the type of case it is, I don't think the thin leather 'Nature' can be improved upon - mine has been my regular case since about 2004 and looks like it did the day I got it.

I ordered the dealer case directly from John after hearing how great it was from a friend. John was super-easy to deal with and he is very professional when it comes to his business. The information he provides here regarding cases is second to none and outweighs anything else.

Attachments

• 20171213_085158 (1).jpg
    20171213_085158 (1).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 217

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never interacted with him, just always his wife (I think it was his wife, maybe an employee). Got my case earlier than expected.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Similar experience. I ordered one that took longer than told but was totally happy when I got it. I have since got two people that I know of if not more to get a case from him. Contacting him is always an issue. I tried to have another case done and three emails and two phone calls. Still no response. It’s very frustrating when you want to spend money on something and the person just doesn’t want it.

Imagine how frustrating it is to be so busy you don't have time to take everyone's money?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Meh - I'll go ahead and throw my 2 cents in here. I've never met John, and only talked to him once on the phone, but I did buy 2 of his cases this year - and will be ordering a true "custom" after the holidays. We've exchanged a few emails/texts/discussions on threads - but the truth is I can't lay claim to actually "knowing" John - so keep that in mind as you read my views. As mentioned, John has faults - but face it, we all do.

OK, first the cases:
Cons (to some):
The bulk of the work is done outside the US. At first glance they seem a bit high priced. Ordering a true "custom" can take a while (2-3 or 4 months seems to be a fair average.) If you purchase his standard fare - or specialty so to speak - those cues are really tight to get in and out. (see pros)

Pros:
Once you actually get the case in your hands, you'll understand the costs. And if the work were being done in the US, it would likely be double what it is now. The quality is second to none, and I have some nice cases. The cues are really in the cases tight (see cons) - so they are not going to rattle around, or fall out for no reason. It's not just a sales gimmick - it's fact. John is willing to do damn near anything in the line of "custom". If you can imagine it - John will put everything into making it happen.

Ok - now as far as John himself, (and this is where I'm going out on a limb).
Cons:
He can come across as being arrogant, crude, rude, and a bit rough around the edges. To be honest though - I've only see that side when someone is short with him, insults him or his integrity, or finds fault with his product. (he really does need to grow a bit thicker skin on that last one, not everyone has the same tastes.)
He has a tendency to spread himself pretty thin at times IMO. John's a helluva business man, but he has so many "lines of communication", that sometimes communications slip through the cracks. This can be frustrating to some folks (especially new customers). All I can say is that if he doesn't respond to one - try another venue. Facebook, text, PM here, phone, email, etc. Once you have his (or their) attention - you'll get 100% effort to make you happy.
Like I said, John can appear to be a bit thin skinned at times, but my guess is that even with all the experiences he's had - there's still a touch of insecurity there. There is certainly a ton of pride. After seeing how he defends his product and reputation - heaven help anyone insulting his family.

Pros:
John appears to be extremely passionate about his livelihood. I get the impression he truly loves what he does. He's the kind of man /ANY/ businessman wants working for a company. After many years of self-employment myself, there are qualities of Johns that I truly envy. He does put his heart and soul into making the very best product possible, and gives 100% towards satisfying a customer.
Regardless of what you read from disgruntled customers (some legitimately - that is unavoidable), John has a ton of integrity. John is an honest man. If he, or one of his employees, screws up - he admits it. Not just in an email, or a PM, but he comes out and owns his mistakes in public forums. He also does anything within reason to make amends for his screw-ups too.

Now if all this sounds like some sort of testimonial, perhaps it is. Maybe I feel a bit guilty about pointing out short-comings in the past. Or perhaps just talking to him face to face (well - on the phone) really impressed me.
I called last week and John answered the phone himself. I was window shopping, looking for an idea on prices for what I want - and he didn't make me feel rushed. (and I am aware of the value of a person's time). He asked if I wanted to order right then, but I also got the impression that waiting til after the holidays would be better. Seems he's busting his but to get current orders out in time for Santa. So after a 2x3 Rugged, and a 3x6 Ultimate Rugged in 2017 - I'm looking forward to ordering a truly "Ched's custom" 4x8 butterfly. (sadly - I won't be able to justify the cost of a full leather one, but it will be nice.)

Whew - most I've typed at one time in ages. But - been tossing those thoughts around for a while.

Anyway - my very best, kind regards, Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays to all. (including John).

Are you stalking me? :). Pretty much got it right on all counts.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
JB gets his balls busted because he’s more then a bit crazy.. I had to block him from everything due to harassing messages over a simple political discussion he went crazy about and sadly I won’t even go into his stand at the expo and say hello. Which is sad because overall he’s a genuinely nice guy.

He DOES NOT get harassed by the quality of his work. His cases our top notch and stands behind what he makes and even though I had to block him I’m always the first to recommend his cases when someone is looking for the best cast to protect their cue.
That is absolute bs. You have claimed like five different reasons for your I don't like John stance. You were happy to bash Jack though when I installed a JB interior for you at my booth.

You have some kind of issues. I don't even remember your real name and certainly have no clue what political discussion you claim I went crazy over. I'd bet that my side of it looks way different than yours if we were to be able to go back and see what was actually said. Don't that I have tons of customers and friends who are 100% opposite of me politically with whom I get along just fine.

You have said something may things about me in here that are not true. In fact I tried to ask you one time what your issue was and you would not respond. As far as I am concerned I wish you had never entered my life. I can't stand two faced people and you definitely strike me as one of them.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Order # please. Do people think that we want to miss orders? If anyone reading this wants to come and give me your easy fix I will be happy to make you a wealthy person. I understand you're upset but I do have three phone numbers you can call.

And when was I *****ing about people not using the the designer?

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sadly, these days that topic can ignite a firestorm of "craziness" in a lot of folks, and it's not just limited to the US either. All together now - say ..... "Brexit". Often it depends on which side you're on as to "passion vs. crazy." Religion is another topic that tends to bring out the worst in people. In pool related discussions - aiming systems tends to be a pretty volatile subject. Just an observation.

Now me and Mr. Trump are going to discuss CTE down at the Synagogue. .... Oops I did it again. That's what happens when you let your inside voice get loose. :)

Dude this was like 7 years a go lol

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is absolute bs. You have claimed like five different reasons for your I don't like John stance. You were happy to bash Jack though when I installed a JB interior for you at my booth.

You have some kind of issues. I don't even remember your real name and certainly have no clue what political discussion you claim I went crazy over. I'd bet that my side of it looks way different than yours if we were to be able to go back and see what was actually said. Don't that I have tons of customers and friends who are 100% opposite of me politically with whom I get along just fine.

You have said something may things about me in here that are not true. In fact I tried to ask you one time what your issue was and you would not respond. As far as I am concerned I wish you had never entered my life. I can't stand two faced people and you definitely strike me as one of them.

John you’ve treated so many people badly I have no doubt you don’t remember me. Your interior in jacks case is excellent.. your cases our excellent.. You just have a temper that gets out of control. If you messaged me and I didn’t answer you it’s because your blocked and I didn’t want any more of your crazy non sense lol . I am not two faced.. that’s why i haven’t talked to you in person one time since. For the record I never bad mouth your product.. you put one of the best cases out that can be bought. I have no doubt about that and would anyone who asked that. Just don’t friend you on face book lol

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have only seen my buddies JB case, it was super nice, I liked the padding on the interior A LOT. I have seen some amazing cases(stellar tooling) by other case makers, but then you look on the inside and its some tubes with hardly any padding, seems they put all their work on the outside.

Watched a few of your videos about cte, Wanted to yell at the computer, "get to the point", you seem to get sidetracked easily... No offense.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@Jb
I was curious are you still working on trying to bring small tables to the market, and if so when do you think you will have some for sale?

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Order # please. Do people think that we want to miss orders? If anyone reading this wants to come and give me your easy fix I will be happy to make you a wealthy person. I understand you're upset but I do have three phone numbers you can call.

And when was I *****ing about people not using the the designer?

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5884584&postcount=9

Just an FYI. We are only 3 people in the shop who handle customer service. Only two of those people actually handle the order process. And we have well over 80 custom orders in the pipeline every day. I am trying to figure out ways to semi-automate much of the process where progress reports and response/action is concerned but as people often communicate over various platforms and seem to be reluctant or unable to use our platform where all the order information is central it does happen that we miss some communication and need to be nudged once in a while.

That's your complaint of people not using your website to submit orders. As far as my order number, wish I had one. I have now re forwarded all the emails about my case.

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like no one said anything but praise for the cases but were the reactions negative and kinda what everyone says about the customer service.