Need advice on a new cue

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I recently started a new job and I am starting the process of looking for a new cue. I have a budget of 2k (or lower is better) so my options are pretty wide open.

Right now I shoot with a McDermott and there is nothing wrong with it but since it is really the only cue I have ever shot with I am looking to branch out into either a high end Predator (P3 or Panthera) or a custom.

The looks matter to me but no where near as much as the playability of the cue.

I also am not looking for a traditionally designed cue and would like something different from the normal points and windows type thing.

Are there any custom makers out there that design cues with different designs from the norm?

As a point of reference I would also play with the ugliest cue in the world if it hit and played the best in the world.

So looks aren't anywhere near the top on my list of priorities.

play with what ever your going to buy before you buy it, ordering cues is cool and fun-i have lots of times, however as a rule they dont play as good as I like, I like to go hit balls with 100 cues and take my choice. Only one time have i ordered a cue that became my player for 7 years. I've had over 50 cues built for me.

a couple months ago i was in Germany at a pool room, all the cue geeks brought out their toys-ima geek too :), i hit balls with probably 40 different custom cues and 20 production cues in a 3 hour period. There was one cue among all of them that stood out for me. I tossed 15 balls on the box ran out, tossed 10-12 more didnt miss, I said"wow i aint missed a ball with this cue" next shot i missed. LOL I broke my concentration. However back to my point for what ever reason that cue and I connected, the arrow dont make the indian but a cue can bring the best out of you-if your lucky enough to find it. That day I found a cue that I could really play with. I didnt buy it as I have a couple cues out of 1000's I have played with that are best for me.

so the odds of having a cue built for you that plays great are low, you will get what you want it to look like and thats cool, i have done that often. My player is too fancy for a player IMO, but it works well for me so I use it. Been on that cue for 5 years solid now, no plan to retire it.

So go play with as many cues as possible, when you know its right, you will know it.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, you have to be ready for a custom... meaning, to get your money's worth from a playing perspective, you have to already know what you like in a "hit".

There are several factors.. for example, the taper and diameter of the shaft. And the ferrule material and length... and the tip, of course.

Hell, even the length... do you like a shorter cue?... for example, I don't. I prefer a 59.5" or a 60" overall length. A 58" cue is too short for me as I'm 6' 3".

Buying your first custom is a crap shoot unless you already have enough experience to really know what you like is a cue's playability.

jmo.

well said, you have to play long enough to be able to feel a difference in a cue, if you cant do that, just play until you can. it takes everyone time to learn what they like and dislike, and thats not locked in stone, it can evolve and change over the years. It does for most people, maybe 5% one in 20 people buy a cue and use it for 30 years, i know a few people who have done that. its less than 1 in 20 come to think of it,

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
If you're going to use a commercial LD shaft like OB, Pred, etc. I can't see spending lots of money on a butt, like no more than $500 or so, and no reason for custom. If you're going commercial LD, buy it first then try it on lots and lots of butts, if you can, and see what weight, balance, wrap, etc. you like. After a few years, when you get that all figured out, think about a custom with fine maple shafts. Enjoy!

Banks

Banned
Valley makes a rock solid cue. What's best is that they have them all over the place so you can try them all out first. After you find the right one, have it cut and you'll still have $1950 to blow on a vacation.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to try before you buy.
Example-last week at the room Phil The Fin a career railbird and small time cue collector lets me try out a cue by a well known maker. Absolutely a knock out cue with red veneer points ,windows and lots of ivory inlays-joint- ferules. I'm real amped up to try this beauty.
It looked great and played like crap. what a disappointment. All flash and no go.
Had I bought that cue with out trying it for a couple grand I would be sick.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
You don't have your location listed. If you were close to me, I'd let you try my Keith Josey. But then, I put my LD shafted Jacoby away after playing with the Josey standard shaft.

http://www.joseycues.com/

That said, hit and feel is a very subjective thing. AND..not all custom cue makers are as consistant with this as Keith seems to be. There is another guy in the hall I go to who also has a Josey made several years before mine. We swapped for an afternoon, and literally couldn't tell the difference in hit and feel.

Should the worst happen and my cue get stolen or broken, I'd be on the phone to buy another Josey in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As usual, I disagree with the above....:rolleyes:

I recommend putting a tad more in a cue and picking up a used Southwest.

IMO, Southwest is about the only cue in the 2-3K range that isn't dropping in value.

When you get ready to sell it, you will get at least what you paid for it or very close.

If not that, I would recommend look on secondary market for used name brand cuemakers.

I often see some pretty decent deals here.

If you buy a Schon or Pechaurer or other new production cue, consider it only worth about 1/2 what you paid for it when you are ready to sell it again.

JMO

Best of rolls,

Ken

Why in the world would you buy a cue to play with and consider retail? He is looking for a playing cue, not some sort of investment. Sheesh!
You can pick up a nice player for $300-$500....paying more is like throwing money away.
Just go to your local pro shop, try out a few different sticks and buy the one that you like. Pretty simple really....

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a lot of merit to the option of having a cue built exactly as you want it. You never have to settle for another person's cue weight, shaft sizes, etc. If you want 12.85mm shafts and a cue weight of18.2 or 19.2 ozs, you'll get what you want instead settling for a cue that weighing 18.5 ozs with 13mm shafts or 19 ozs with 12.75mm shafts.

Sure, some folks will tell you can always try changing or shortening the weight bolt or turning the shafts to the size you want......that's more dough you'll have to spend and the cue still won't be balanced as well versus the cue being originally made to those specs.

Find a cue-maker you like and order exactly what you want.....don't settle for someone else's cue specs unless the specs are what you want in your next cue. I have a $3k Paul Mottey cue that plays incredibly great....I love the cue....would never part with it......but it's not to my exact specifications and so I had to settle like everyone typically does when they buy a cue.

I sent you a PM about a cue-maker to consider and why. I've ordered a cue that's being made to my exact specifications and it's a whole less expense than what my Paul Mottey cue cost. Unless you see a cue that comes really close to what you want in your next cue, order a cue and get exactly what you want. You won't be sorry and your game will improve too.

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Where are you located? Most areas have reputable cue makers within a reasonable distance.

I love my Chris Whitaker cue. And the next cue I shoot with will probably be another of the same.

With a local cue maker, you can try the cue, tell him what you like, etc.

Chris' prices are very reasonable and it's the most well balanced, best hitting cue I've played with.
+1 on this post

in my experience you are far better off buying a local quality cue maker's player level cue until you find one that "fits"

believe me you will know it when you do

I also believe that a solid player from a reasonably well known cue maker is better than a production cue and personally would rather use a $400 sneaky pete from Chris Nitti than a $1,000 Schon (I own both)

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just speaking for myself....I never bought a cue with the concern of selling it. I will assume most players keep what they buy.

I flip ALOT of cues. Everyone eventually sells the cue.

When someone comes to me and wants to sell a cue they always tell me what they paid for it. It doesn't matter.

Pool players flip cues all the time. Not all, but a majority of them.

Why buy a cue that you know you are going to lose money on when you can buy a cue that will at least hold value?

Seems pretty simple to me, but some folks just hate money.

Ken

carter1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only 25 of these will be made. Rather unique with real Swarovski Element Crystal and aluminum alloy inlays

Attachments

• Fury-GYC.jpg
    Fury-GYC.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 251

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are a few nice cues for your consideration. Any two of the cues will not be over your budget of 2K. You also have the option of buying and old sharp pointed Schon, a new Runde and a super nice break cue. In addition, I have a super nice case that could be added for a complete package.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=329417

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
So I recently started a new job and I am starting the process of looking for a new cue. I have a budget of 2k (or lower is better) so my options are pretty wide open.

Right now I shoot with a McDermott and there is nothing wrong with it but since it is really the only cue I have ever shot with I am looking to branch out into either a high end Predator (P3 or Panthera) or a custom.

The looks matter to me but no where near as much as the playability of the cue.

I also am not looking for a traditionally designed cue and would like something different from the normal points and windows type thing.

Are there any custom makers out there that design cues with different designs from the norm?

As a point of reference I would also play with the ugliest cue in the world if it hit and played the best in the world.

So looks aren't anywhere near the top on my list of priorities.
The few times that I've brought a whole slew of cues to the pool hall to let friends shoot with and try out, the same handful always get the nod when trying side by side.

Tucker
Ted Harris
Lambros
Schuler
Gilbert

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem in asking such an unanswerable question is that all of the advice you have received is good. Do you know what you are looking for in additional feedback? You really need to know what you like and that involves personal experimentation. A thread on AZB will not provide an answer.

Are you sure the problem that you want to solve is the joint material/construction? I am enclosing a link to a post from Murray Tucker that is particularly relevant.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpo...4&postcount=18

Have you tried your OB shaft on a different butt/joint? Have you tried other OB shafts? They make different styles for different tastes. Have you tried other brands of shafts? Do you know that you want LD technology shafts? Traditional shafts from custom cuemakers are great, too.

There are many great choices. Have fun figuring it out.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Save your money. You just got a job and unless it's some big buck career, money doesn't come easy.

This guy from China sells some halfway decent cues. Look at the ones he has numbered with the letter "B". Like B100 or whatever.

The "B" cues are his southwest knock offs. I call em .. .FarEasts. :) No matter, I don't think I paid 350 for all of these with 8 shafts, joint protectors, free shipping.

His cues change, the prices may have gone up a little, but even if you buy a nicer one with one shaft, you can always buy a second for 60 bucks that comes with 2 shafts and you'll have 3 shafts and 2 cues for less than $175 bucks. These are 3/8 X 11 thread, southwest style. Just be aware he also has much cheaper ones. Not as nice.

Put the rest in the bank. BTW, pooldawg has weights for these and they are easily changed out to your liking with an allen wrench.

They feel great, and with all your extra shafts you can experiment with tips and taper on your own if you have a drill and sandpaper. you can even buy one of these things and really make it easy on yourself.

Like Johnny said ... the tip ... the taper .. and the weight ... custom cues are for custom cue collectors. Nothing wrong with that, but it ain't got nuthin to do with playing pool.

Here's the ones I got.

Attachments

• MyCues600.jpg
    MyCues600.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 201

1ab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
play with what ever your going to buy before you buy it, ordering cues is cool and fun-i have lots of times, however as a rule they dont play as good as I like, I like to go hit balls with 100 cues and take my choice. Only one time have i ordered a cue that became my player for 7 years. I've had over 50 cues built for me.

a couple months ago i was in Germany at a pool room, all the cue geeks brought out their toys-ima geek too :), i hit balls with probably 40 different custom cues and 20 production cues in a 3 hour period. There was one cue among all of them that stood out for me. I tossed 15 balls on the box ran out, tossed 10-12 more didnt miss, I said"wow i aint missed a ball with this cue" next shot i missed. LOL I broke my concentration. However back to my point for what ever reason that cue and I connected, the arrow dont make the indian but a cue can bring the best out of you-if your lucky enough to find it. That day I found a cue that I could really play with. I didnt buy it as I have a couple cues out of 1000's I have played with that are best for me.

so the odds of having a cue built for you that plays great are low, you will get what you want it to look like and thats cool, i have done that often. My player is too fancy for a player IMO, but it works well for me so I use it. Been on that cue for 5 years solid now, no plan to retire it.

So go play with as many cues as possible, when you know its right, you will know it.

This post is the best advice. I found a dealer willing to let me test hit numerous cues. Some high end custom, some production, and finally I hit with a cue that felt like it belonged to me. Won't sell my Spitz!