Need advice on a new cue

sciarco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
madden cues

I'm looking to buy a jack madden cue just wondering what is your opinion on these cues thanks

1187mg

Registered
I like cues to. Kyle Macey never said after I got a Wilson basketball I made all those free throws. Whatever you shot with 10 dollars to a billzialion its a tool to make balls. Drive for show put for dough.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With your budget, you should get in touch with Wesley @customcues or Martin @ superiorcues or Bill @ Cornerstone or Sean @cueaddicts or Jamie (Worminator) or Cleitonrocha...heck there are lots of cue dealers that have cue inventory that should easily appeal to you and the price will be within your budget.

It will take awhile to have a custom made and these other sources can have your new cue in your hands within 72 hours.....your call but all of these people are trustworthy

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Under $500, I'd look at one of Ryan Theewen's cues, Rat cues
Used Schon
C or D series Mcdermott
Olney

$500-$1000

Sharp point Runde Schon
Jensen
Simple Richard black
Sharp point Joss
Bluegrass PJ
ZYLR

1k-2k
Too many to list

There are lots of great cues under a grand. I might suggest posting a WTB and see what comes your way.

Feel free to PM with the offers you receive if you would like a second opinion on the cues and their values.

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
Buy a steel jointed Joss West or Scruggs. Lowish end player and add a Predator shaft if you want. You now have a killer cue that plays well and will always hold its value. Two cents worth... enjoy.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe you can get a good pool cue for under $400.00. I have a good shooting Meucci "sneaky" with a Black Dot shaft that won't win a beauty contest, but it worked good enough for me to win a Anchorage Intermediate 8 Ball tourney that had 66 players. I mainly play with a Pat Diveney Ebony Hustler that Pat fitted a couple of his Lake Salvage shafts to. I had him take it down to 12.5 mm with a straight 18" taper. I have around $650.00 in it and I doubt I could ever find a cue I shoot better with. I encourage you to go slow and try to handle and shoot with as many cues and shafts and tapers as you can. There are a bunch of good cue makers.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW, I have and still use custom cues but my player at the moment is a mismatch. I call it my McMeucci.

I am using a RS-11 McDermott butt with a Meucci PRO shaft and it plays great. (For those that don't know, the Meucci PRO shaft is a 3/8-10 joint).

If I were you, I would experiment another type of shaft on the McDermott before buying a custom cue.

Aloha.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contact

Contact AZ er ga9ball and see if he has any Satin Southwest cues left, they are right in your price range.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We can build you an AMAZING cue for about $1500 give or take. You can PM me for more info if you like. Depending what you want for looks price will very, but a more plain cue that will play lights out, we can even get under $1k.

I would definitely go with a custom builder in that price range though. Buying a new schone is like throwing your money away, same with most production cues from what I see...

Best,

Justin Hanson

LMFAO.....nice of you to come in under $1000, what a gentleman, I'm sure your cues are well worth it, lol

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP there is a lot of really bad advice being tossed around here, much of which appears extremely self serving

$500ish gets you best of the best production quality and entry level sneaky petes from dozens of cue makers

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As usual, I disagree with the above....:rolleyes:

I recommend putting a tad more in a cue and picking up a used Southwest.

IMO, Southwest is about the only cue in the 2-3K range that isn't dropping in value.

When you get ready to sell it, you will get at least what you paid for it or very close.

If not that, I would recommend look on secondary market for used name brand cuemakers.

I often see some pretty decent deals here.

If you buy a Schon or Pechaurer or other new production cue, consider it only worth about 1/2 what you paid for it when you are ready to sell it again.

If you are thinking about a Schon, IMO, I would only consider older ones with sharp points, not the cnc models produced today.

JMO

Best of rolls,

Ken

lmfao @ suggesting $3000 cue

*shakes head*

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Only 25 of these will be made. Rather unique with real Swarovski Element Crystal and aluminum alloy inlays

you can red me for this, but if you bring a cue with red crystals in a poolhall ill crack it over your head. $2500 for a fury?? really?? 2k to spend, go to the wanted thread and you get work of arts for that kind of money, oh and playability, if its hand made it plays well. feel of a cue is subjective, that retarded Fury could be loved by someone one day, than ill crack his skull with it:grin:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
We can build you an AMAZING cue for about $1500 give or take. You can PM me for more info if you like. Depending what you want for looks price will very, but a more plain cue that will play lights out, we can even get under $1k.

I would definitely go with a custom builder in that price range though. Buying a new schone is like throwing your money away, same with most production cues from what I see...

Best,

Justin Hanson

Oh, that's great. So, buying a Schon is a waste of money :rolleyes: Then you are prepared to offer the OP a money back guarantee on your cues, right? So, if the cue depreciates in a few years, you will refund the difference, correct. I mean, stand behind your product, cause your cues are not a waste of money, right ???

Ok, just confirm this so the buyer has some written guarantee. Here is your chance to shine, and put your money where your mouth is... what say you ?

PS: I do not own, nor have I ever owned a Schon.

jgobigred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recommend buying a predator sneaky, Diveney sneaky, Barnhart plain jane, and either a cheaper schon or some other custom maker you want to try out. That should come to $1500-$2000 depending on how good of deals you can find. Put Lepro tips on all of them and play with them for 2-4 years. Then you should be able to know what you like and don't like and can sell them all for about the same price you paid and get one nice cue. I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket right now or you will just end up in this horrible cycle of buying and selling cues! Trust me on this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the answers guys.

I always hit with an OB shaft and a Kamui Black S or SS tip.

I have hit with a Joss and while it had a good hit it wasn't what I was looking for because at the time I didn't have the money to buy an OB shaft to go with it.

I am interested in Schon but can anyone tell me why the hit is better with a Schon than a Predator or is it all subjective?

I am interested in either a wood to wood joint or a metal joint. Right now I have some sort of white ivory wanna be material on my McDermott and it doesnt give the amount of feedback I would like.

Wood to wood vs metal is a very different hit. Better try both first

mcesarey

Since the invention of LD shafts, the only reason to buy an expensive cue is aesthetics. You've been shooting with OB shafts and Kamui tips? No new cue that you buy will hit better than what you've been shooting with, but I understand that you just want something new. Just realize that when shopping.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, figure out what you want.

Here's what I would do. Go up to every single player you know and ask to try their cue. Most will let you do so. Take note of what you like. You'll soon find that you have preferences for weight, taper, balance point, joint, wrap, etc. Then go out and buy YOUR cue.

Sbrogdon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the answers guys.

I always hit with an OB shaft and a Kamui Black S or SS tip.

I have hit with a Joss and while it had a good hit it wasn't what I was looking for because at the time I didn't have the money to buy an OB shaft to go with it.

I am interested in Schon but can anyone tell me why the hit is better with a Schon than a Predator or is it all subjective?

I am interested in either a wood to wood joint or a metal joint. Right now I have some sort of white ivory wanna be material on my McDermott and it doesnt give the amount of feedback I would like.

All of the answers you will get are subjective. The best playing cue is the one you connect with. I saw a guy last night beat everyone in the room and he was playing with a 100 dollar Players cue. he was running rack after rack...

Hit, looks, play-ability in general.....ALL subjective. Find a cue that speaks to you when you pick it up and stroke it and there you go.

Just my 2 cents worth....

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a good number of top quality craftsmen that can and will build an excellent cue for the price range you are talking. I'll toss in the name of John Bender (no relation to Mike, who by the way builds a WORLD CLASS Cue). John has built roughly 100 cues and last I knew he wasn't doing a lot of inlays, how ever all is work is hand done and his point work is excellent. I bought a premade cue from him number 48 I think and I was impressed with it enough to commission a cue from him which is number 66. It isn't as adorned as my Hercek but I can find no fault with John's cue and it PLAYS! As a matter of fact I am having a Southwest being built right now and have a bit of a running battle going on with my fiancé as she doesn't understand why I need a Hercek, a John Bender and a Southwest. She thinks I should sell the John Bender and off set some of the cost of the Southwest. I keep telling her that I don't wish to sell it at least till I find out how the Southwest plays. My issue is I love the play of John's cue.