Need Help Identifying Table Manufacturer

Cigar Guy

My billiard table looks exactly like a Peter Vitalie Lord Nelson model, however the Peter Vitalie Company did not start business operations until 1988 and I have owned the table since 1986. There is no date or manufacturer's name or marking anywhere on the table. It is a 6 leg, full size 8 foot table with leather pockets. The slate is a little more than a full inch thick, in 3 pieces sitting on a frame constructed of 2x12 inch boards. The only marking is the word “Glaze” written in magic marker on the underside of one of the side boards. All of the woodwork appears to be hand carved and the leather pockets hand tooled. It’s definitely a well-made table.

I have no knowledge of its history except that it had to have been built before 1984, which was when I first saw it in the “Ball Room” (approx. 2000 sq. ft. separate building solely used for entertaining) on an estate purchased by the friend I acquired it from, from which I draw the conclusion that it wasn’t cheap.

Does anyone know what the Vitalie Lord Nelson table was based on? Was the Lord Nelson a copy of a preexisting design? I’ve attached several pictures of the underside in case the method of construction is recognizably specific to a particular manufacturer.

Any information or even an idea of its origin would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_E2750.JPG
IMG_E2751.JPG
IMG_E2753.jpg
IMG_E2754.JPG
IMG_E2757.jpg
IMG_E2756.jpg
IMG_E2759.jpg
IMG_E2760.jpg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Import table. They imported these things by the container load. These Chinese built tables were sold under various names at game room stores nationwide.

Cigar Guy

My experience with Chinese knockoff goods is that they are low quality. This table is not. If it is a knockoff any idea what design they copied? It predates Vitalie so the style had to come from some other manufacturer.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My experience with Chinese knockoff goods is that they are low quality. This table is not. If it is a knockoff any idea what design they copied? It predates Vitalie so the style had to come from some other manufacturer.
Not always. I've seen a bunch of this type table. Asian tables can vary from junk to high quality. 99% of these home-style tables are made in China. Its possible it was made stateside but the vast majority are not. Without a name tag i'm still sticking with it coming from an Asian shop. Vitalie's were made in NC iirc but they clearly marked/tagged their stuff. The scroll-work is most likely CNC routed.

Last edited:

Benelli

I don’t think so, all the U.S. makers put their name on the rail, or an apron.
So I know with Blatt that if you custom ordered the table and paid custom order prices you can say no nameplate.

There could be markings/manufacture dates on the tops of the legs or on the interior of the frame.

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
I worked on one exactly like the one on your pics. Also installed the vitali one. Peter vitali’s frame is way better designed and all hardwood . You should be able to find some chinese stamping underneath the rails.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

whiskey guy

I have the same table built the same way, any idea on what it is yet if it's not a lord nelson since no Vitalie badge. Mine is also probably as old as yours. Guy who bought before me bought it used 20 years ago. Mine does have custom leopard print pockets on the leather and a knurling on the top rails. I could not find any markings or writing anywhere but didnt think to look when it was actually apart. Construction looks same as the original poster. Slate is atleast 1 inch. I will measure pocket thickness and can take other pictures later if any suggestions. This is a 9 ft table.
1000004431.jpg
1000004432.jpg

Attachments

• 20240206_135101.jpg
    20240206_135101.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 30

whiskey guy

Could be a "Renaissance" table, bought by AMF. I think they were a independent table make out of California.
I did look into renaissance and couldn't find a website or anything because that's what the mover setup guy said possibly could be or trafalgar ...or some weird name like that, also could not find on Google. Be weird for a company to build without markings... and it's kind of built way more stout than I would think an Asian import table would be , but multiple decades ago who knows. The attention to detail on it doesn't seem like cheap labor to me.

whiskey guy

For anybody interested here are some close up shots of my table, which I'm pretty sure is from same builder of original post's table. My under bracing and frame looks exactly the same build. The wood carving doesnt look done by cnc machine, ljuat lioks rough or not consistent to be done by a machine, i could be wrong and its because old cnc machines werent as good. I know even golden west uses cnc machines to carver their stuff.
1000004453.jpg
1000004454.jpg
1000004453.jpg

whiskey guy

Here is the leopard print pockets which must have been custom request right? I mean come on lol and probably dates it to 80s or 70s

Attachments

• 20240208_203904.jpg
    20240208_203904.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 42

Pierre Shakes

Registered
It is likely a Trafalgar model by World of Leisure. I only sold the one to my lawyer in 1992. I sold many Lord Ns over two decades, several were 10’ snooker. The proportions were different than the Lord Nelson - looked taller, but wasn’t. My customers are still playing on the 9’ Lord Nelson I got in 1990 and still are amazed to be allowed to play on such a table.

I heard a story that the owners of WoL and Peter Viatalie argued at a trade show and then went home and ripped off each other’s designs. PV stole the Trafalgar and WoL stole the Le Meiux.