New Here? - Introduce Yourself

Servicer

Registered
Hello from Canada, been reading on here for a while and there is a ton of awesome info. Thought I might be able to contribute a little so I signed on. So for myself I play 8 ball exclusively, I took a 6 year hiatus from league when I started having kids. Just getting back Into it now. Was really surprised how bad I had become. I used to have alot of confidence in my ability but since the return I've lost said confidence. Working hard to find d it again

John amcCulloch

Registered
Hi everyone, John, Hudson, NY. Started playing league a couple of years ago and it's just got worst and worst, the thought of writing to strangers in a forum is kinda mental to me but what can I say, I'm hooked! I've picked up some great stuff since first checking out the sight, thank you!

dulaney22

Registered
Hey guys, Lee from Mississippi. Like many more here I'm sure, played a bunch a long, long time ago before kids and life. Picked it back up again now and trying to get back to what I "think I was." LOL. A lots changed when Meucci was king. Picking a stick has been a chore. Lurked here a while but decided to say hello and hopefully add something to the community.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Ched

Hi All,
My name is Ched - and I'm glad to be a part of AZ Billiards.
I'm not particularly good at it, but I enjoy the game a lot.
I recently retired my 1979 Huebler - and am now shooting with a new Joss and new Schon. (OB shafts on order for both).

I've been reading your site for a while, and look forward to meeting you good folks.

Best always,
Ched

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi All,
My name is Ched - and I'm glad to be a part of AZ Billiards.
I'm not particularly good at it, but I enjoy the game a lot.
I recently retired my 1979 Huebler - and am now shooting with a new Joss and new Schon. (OB shafts on order for both).

I've been reading your site for a while, and look forward to meeting you good folks.

Best always,
Ched

Tell me about your Huebler

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
It's an H-13 from the 79-81 catalogs. I bought at Christmas for myself in 1979 and got it IIRC around February. I ordered it from Jim Marino. It's in near perfect shape, as I sent it back in 2001 and Paul himself called me. He refinished it, and changed the wrap to a black with white spec. and made me a second shaft. Really great guy. Due to being a single father - I never did get my Paul Mottey cue ordered - and got away from playing more than a couple times a week.

This is close:
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-ebony-huebler-13-vertical-137961584

I'll take a pic and post in the next day or two if you'd like. It's part of the family. :)

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Great cue .. I'm sure I'll use mine from time to time. So glad I picked it over the Meucci I was also looking at at that time. (no offense to Meucci shooters - just what fits my comfort style).

Thanks for the interest Mr. Wilson.

Best always,
Ched

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Currently a TAP league player, 5 in 8 5 in 9, play recreationally around 15 - 18 hours a week and looking forward to being a 6 in each 8/9 by the end of this year...maybe a 7 if I keep progressing. Love this great game and like a lot of others took a long hiatus from 23 to 40 to raise my son and get his butt out of the house. I shoot with a brand new Mcdermott G 602...prety nice cue, and an old McDermott D-15 in fantastic condition. Looking forward to more awesome insights, reviews and all else this forum has to offer.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's an H-13 from the 79-81 catalogs. I bought at Christmas for myself in 1979 and got it IIRC around February. I ordered it from Jim Marino. It's in near perfect shape, as I sent it back in 2001 and Paul himself called me. He refinished it, and changed the wrap to a black with white spec. and made me a second shaft. Really great guy. Due to being a single father - I never did get my Paul Mottey cue ordered - and got away from playing more than a couple times a week.

This is close:
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-ebony-huebler-13-vertical-137961584

I'll take a pic and post in the next day or two if you'd like. It's part of the family. :)

Welcome!

I retired my Joss (still play with it occasionally) and my primary player is now a Huebler H-14. See it here: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=291233

I have two additional original Huebler 31 inch shafts for is, as well as the joint protectors and Huebler case. Love the cue.

And I am from SW PA originally.

Mikkes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys, I am new....my name is Michael and I am from Hennef (near Cologne) Germany.
I am 44 and playing billiard since 1989. Started with a no name carom cue from a hunting shop (did not know that it was a carom and not a pool cue). Since then I played with a Huebler H-E, a Meucci Oldie 2 and a Meucci 88-6. 7 years ago Bryan Mordt (bcm cues) built me my first custom cue (Hi-low 8-pointer out of tulip and holly wood into ebony). Sold this cue a couple weeks ago to my best friend an got my new cue from Bryan. It is a black and white ebony PJ. Breaking with an old Huebler BJ from 1990 or 91.

hunter121

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to say hi! New around here and really enjoying the forum. I have a old players cue with tiger shaft that I have been playing with again here lately and its reminded me how much I love the game. I ordered up a BD Merry Widow about 2 weeks ago and can not wait to get it.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
If new users want to see how they rate, check this out.

Welcome to new users to AZB!

If you haven't yet heard about the Billiard University (BU) Playing-Ability Exams, give them a try. And if you do, please post your scores (and videos if available) on the AZB BU sticky thread, as many other AZB users have done. On the thread, you can view videos from all of the AZB users who have participated to date.

Catch you later, and good luck with your game,
Dave

JFire

Registered
Hey everyone,

New to the forum although I have been lurking for a bit, finally decided to register. I'm from Michigan and have been playing my entire life here and there but only recently have been playing more seriously and am hoping to join a league later this year. Currently playing with a Lucasi SP and a J&J jump/break but I am in the market for a custom cue. Looking forward to learning from everyone.

Jeff

thestumper

Greetings from SW PA !!! (LONG)

Greetings :D

After 30 years, I finally broke down and bought a table just before Christmas. AFter spending time here and on various sites, I quickly realized that not only had I forgotten 90% of my game, but that I had been doing most of it wrong anyway :smile: I played a lot in my teens and twenties, but looking back it was mostly just smacking the balls around and hoping for a result. I learned to aim, and some of the stuck with me, but I never played with any purpose or plan. Now that my boys are starting to take and interest, I thought it would be fun to get a table. My setup as of today consists of:

- Olhausen Monterey Table: 8.5' solid oak. Bought it used for a steal. Got a nice light with it as well. I did a lot of research and knew what I was looking for. It clearly hadn't seen a lot of play. The felt is standard factory stuff but in good condition. Will probably re-cover it next year with 760 once I'm past the "hacking" phase of learning to jump and break. It plays well - I wanted a Diamond but I didn't want to spend the money :smile: It was professionally installed and leveled - they said it was like new and had clearly never been moved before. Sometimes Craigslist pans out and sometimes it doesn't, but I got lucky - the previous owner was a police officer. :D

- Magic Racks: The table came with wood racks that were in nice shape but I couldn't get things tight like I remember. My fingers are older now so I took the easy way out. They have made a big difference in my breaks.

- McDermott G-Series Cue: Most expensive "nice cue" I have. I like it, but I'm not completely sold on LD shafts (G-Core). The balance is super-nice though, and I can always put another shaft on it. Can't beat the warranty, and it plays great.

- Rawhyde Cue: Has the Pure X HXT shaft. Bight it because I liked the etching. Plays well enough but currently set up at 20oz. which I'm finding a little heavy. For the money, it's a great cue. I'll probably take it to 19 at some point.

- Pure X HXT30: Also has the HXT shaft. 18 oz. I like this one a lot for some reason, but he shaft seems a little "fat" compared to the McDermott. Balances well. Light, but I prefer that to heavy at the moment. Kamui Soft tip is interesting, but I think I prefer the mediums on my other cues. That could change in time - my english is so weak right now that I'm not getting much benefit out of any additional control it might offer.

- Dale Perry eBay Special: I know the controversy. Thats why I bought it :) I wanted something with a plan shaft and I just couldn't resist. I liked the design and figured I've spent $100 on far worse things :grin: I actually really like it - it has a nice firm hit that I may actually prefer to the LD shafts. It seems pretty well made to me - mine is clean, balances pretty well, and looks nice. So far it plays great. It may fall apart on me tomorrow, but I've quite enjoyed it so far.

- Action Jump Break: Pretty bare bones but functional and spreads the balls nicely. Jumping is still a challenge for me, but then again so is aiming at this point. When I do my part the cue sails along pretty well. I always thought breaking was just about smashing the balls as hard as I could and hoping for the best - clearly that was incorrect, so I'm putting some time into 8 and 9 ball breaks and they are improving.

- Cuetec Cue: Came with the table. I really don't like playing with it but my buddy does. It's got some sort of fiberglass/composite shaft that I just can't seem to get along with. Oh well - I looks decent and serves a purpose I suppose.

- Aramith Balls: Premium/Green box. The ones that came with the table are in good shape but seemed cheap-ish. I keep them around for when the kids are just banging but I like to play with the nice shiney Aramiths when I'm really working.

- Masters Chalk: $2.00. It's chalk and it seems to work. It matches the felt, so there's that. I know about better chalk, but at the moment I chalk before almost every shot to slow myself down.

I'm practicing a lot and I've started to get my aiming down again. I had to relearn almost everything else :( It's almost disturbing how much time I've spent just working on my stance and my stroke, but they were a mess. The consistency is starting to come (slowly), and with that confidence, and it goes back and forth like that. I'm impatient by nature, but I'm really trying hard :) I plan to seek out an instructor sooner rather than later. I've found a lot of helpful (but also contradictory) stuff on the internet. I have to sort out the good and the bad. Some of it works and some doesn't. I'm beginning to wrap my head around simple English, but the cue ball still has a mind of it's own most of the time. Every now and then though, I put it right where I want it, so there's some progress, and it feels better than making the actual shot at this point :D

Sorry for the novel, but that's really all there is to know about me from a billiards perspective. Good luck to all and I look forward to meeting people and learning things here!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Welcome to new users to AZB!

If you haven't yet heard about the Billiard University (BU) Playing-Ability Exams, give them a try. And if you do, please post your scores (and videos if available) on the AZB BU sticky thread, as many other AZB users have done. On the thread, you can view videos from all of the AZB users who have participated to date.

Catch you later, and good luck with your game,
Dave
And if you have a table at home or a favorite table at a pool hall, and you want to know how its difficulty level compares to other tables, check out the Table Difficulty Factor (TDF) sticky thread and add your table's measurements and TDF.

Catch you later,
Dave

pudgie100

Registered
Hello all. Long time lurker even after joining the forum, as you can see from my join date. I play out of the Quad Cities, haven't been playing a lot of leagues or tournaments for awhile. Anyway I have enjoyed the forum for a long time.

Canyon100

Registered
Hello. My name is Kevin and I live in Arizona. I have played recreational since childhood, my father had a Brunswick bar size table. I have owned a Peter Vitalie (Lord Nelson) tournament size table for the last 20 plus years. Just started getting serious last 6 months, shooting most days. Now playing with a Mezz cue.