New Here? - Introduce Yourself

Shinigami89

Hi everyone, German player here.

Playing pool for 10 years now, more or less. Currently in a low league, but looking to improve my game to be able to constantly be competetitive in high leagues.
Always looking for new stuff and short ways to victory, but at a certain stage I feel it is training only enabling me to win^^

Will see what I can learn here :)

fred allgaier

Hi fellow pool players

I'm an old pool player. Playing since I was 16 (I'm now 71). Played about 20 or so odd years, took about a 20-year rest from pool and in the last 3 years I've played in a 'pool league' and trying to get 'my game on' again. I'm now retired.

I'm looking for some help in identifying my 56-year old cue stick.

My Dad gave me this cue around 1961 (when I was 16). I have always thought it to be a Brunswick. My limited search results have suggested otherwise. I would like some type of identification or confirmation.
The joint is s/s on the butt but wood, with a brass insert, on the shaft. Below the joint is a cocobolo wood, next a shaped phenolic ‘spacer’, followed by a black, green and then black again, linen wrap and lastly some more phenolic ‘spacers’ and finally a ‘bumper (the cue originally had no bumper).
There is no decal or logo I can find on the cue.
Any help and/or suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

• 20161025_120748.jpg
    20161025_120748.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 312
  • 20161025_120804.jpg
    20161025_120804.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 332
  • 20161025_120841.jpg
    20161025_120841.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 334
  • 20161025_120902.jpg
    20161025_120902.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 326
  • 20161025_120919.jpg
    20161025_120919.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 326

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Another newbie intro... typical "I used to play before" story. Just getting back into playing a few games here and there in the last week.

Denver area so I will be roaming around just practicing shots for a couple hundred hours to get my stroke back.

Nice you too add it to the show your home room thread, search for it in the main, and have a look at the rest of our room and tables

EBSDallas

Registered
Hello from DFW

Hello everyone. I've been playing off and on since I was a teenager in the early 70s. Got pretty serious about it in the 90s, been out for several years.

Now I'm ready to get back in. All in!

Everett

Carolina_Giant

Perfection=Serenity
Silver Member
Good morning!

I'm not exactly new to Azbilliards, but I've been on a long hiatus and didn't post much when I joined.

I've been playing pool since age 15, started playing seriously at 20. I took a two year break from all pool related activity from 2014-2016. I'm down in South Carolina and my favorite games are 8 ball, 14.1, One Pocket, and Snooker. My favorite players are Efren Reyes, Fransisco Bustamante, Dennis Orcollo, Lee Van Corteza, Ralph Souquet, and Neils Feijen. I tend to prefer Viking and Poison for line equipment, but have a friend who is a cue smith and will probably be commissioning a custom cue from him within the next year.

My screen name is my old pool hall name because I'm 6 foot 4 inches tall and used to always show up to tournaments or to gamble with a shirt that had a Carolina Gamecock on the front.

I'm excited to be here and be a contributing member to this awesome board and organization :)

Yotehntr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been here a couple months and unintentionally made a few waves. Been playing pool for quite a few years, never in any competition. Started serious play at 16, and couldn't stay out of the pool hall.

Got into coyote hunting (my "handle") and while coyote hunting looked at the call and thought heck I could make that.. been a bit bored with it as of late but seemed that folks liked them, kept me busier than I wanted for a hobby. I started making a "tennon" type fitted bead, similar to what a ferrule is on a cue so of course since I can't sell Ivory I thought I'd put it on a couple of my cues. The one I'm showing is a Gary Johnson custom sneaky that is my favorite at this time. I did buy an extra shaft from Gary super nice guy (don't know if he's on here?) Anyway thought I'd show a little of my lathe work. My lathe isn't quite big enough to do cues so I'm watching craigslist.

Redwood burl with Hippo Ivory bead and mouth piece.
11-7-15-ivory-8_zpsqot9otug.jpg

Honduran rosewood burl and ancient walrus tusk Ivory
a-1_zpsf10ccaa0.jpg

Ferulle work
20160920_103919_1478407066530_zpsahowbpu7.jpg

20160920_103919_1478407066530_zpsahowbpu7.jpg

20160920_113012_1478407067986_zpspvxeti5w.jpg

Screenshot_2016-09-21-19-43-49_1478407069156_zpso7tyrhve.png

KewBawl

Registered
Good morning from Massachusetts!

Been lurking here for a couple years and have learned a lot about every aspect of billiards so thanks to all on AZB for their contributions and compiling such a vast wealth of knowledge. Decided to join because Sunday I'll be picking up an 1870's Oliver Briggs that is in need of restoration and hoping for the guidance of the members here, I'm sure there will be LOTS of questions along the way!

cl206

Registered
HI new member here! Been a lurker the past few weeks since I decided to get a pool table for my house. I am from Rockland County NY and used to play quite a bit of pool at Cornell at Willard Straight Hall during my college days. Last time I was there the tables were gone :(

Did a league at Corner Billiards in NYC too but now they are gone too!

Haven't played in a while and would be lucky to get in a game a year but my 8 year old started getting good at ping pong, so Im like hey should we get a pool table and her eyes lit up lol. I didn't get it before because we don't have a lot of room but I can probably fit a 8 ft with maybe a little obstacle where I'll use a 48 or 42 inch cue.

Best part is the wifey gave me the green light but it has to look good (for her) and play decent (for me)

Yeah!
-Charlie

Nat Billrd Acad

Registered
Everybody Likes Good Balls

...which are the ones that go in the pocket
Get your mind BACK in the gutter ;)
Tom Simpson would have needed no introduction.. I on the other hand do.
Keren Coffin for National Billiard Academy. Tom's daughter-in-law, helping to continue NBA on Tom's foundation and legacy. Felt as though we should have a presence on AZB. Feel free to contact us at www.poolclinics.com

Shockerz

Registered
Hello

Hi everyone

Registered over a year ago for a look but didn't realise how large this site is, a huge amount of information.

I am from Portsmouth in the UK and generally play snooker but trying to learn a bit about the different cue sports.

Played a bit of pool a while back......but that was nearly 40 years ago!

Anyway, thought I'd better introduce myself

Cheers

Marc:smile:

WHSII

Registered
New Member from Kentucky

First of all, "Thanks Admin for getting me set up to post!"

I am WH from Kentucky. I started shooting pool at age 6. Around 1958 or 59 my Dad changed out the coal furnace in our house in West Virginia to an oil furnace. I remember standing outside with him looking at the parts and pieces of the coal furnace and him saying, "It's going to cost me $100 to get rid of this junk." As he said that, a car pulled up in our driveway, the man called out to Dad and said he was looking for a coal furnace, how much did he want... Dad told me to go inside.

Dad ended up with an old Brunswick Victor pool table that had been in a Pool room in Fayetteville WV. since new.

The man brought the parts to our house and set the table up in the basement, and gave Dad $100 for the old furnace. Dad had the table leveled and set up for $100 shortly after. The table had two to three hundred cigarette burns in it, (which I never saw until I tore it down to move to KY.). It had two different pairs of legs, The house sticks had deep gouges in them said to be rats chewing on them, original house style cue stick rack, and a set of clay pool balls.

37qvC1kvNU13PNeck5q1L4qUuSBZMXOGsT7kPmX8UYO7mFMZ_Qo7lfOOh2rFYAAcqj9b_Yb3WFh8EI9qtF_BwlW1yzN4wHe8qv4JKHi7c7DKxichwzjhPuRqO9KtbcX42DotSdNnRsTTLkmHBGHVsI8D16Sf3r2t_I5rcBEQmJBXU5H_bm0wMKCtZ0NwVyl2Jh3opXXtMy37Wc9Qe9QeMbqd6GjimnaqBDujLbCAALaAuR4NyhrVZ-3y_9VlhoH2qJuCgMnRqCa8Xw3e_K8kEwouJ899k_I1z0noKDFTfkw4UZdPVcjnRVnQPjAH91CB6AP6-F83Gij43DvKzFAoaXD1VLe36bCY9IpXNanCRNpFq1of6GQIygNcnXSAL5cxKvzgn4BqXvtLbPlowtRaYqzvx8SXgjbLLa7cgjOSJcXy4bvRXeKMaACmyCeaObfbmmwPRMV7cBrotMv6cvj_z00wfEr3I91NLuHP8G0AHIB0vHw-TwDizReBlDV9a2pTZRecIg5SSrH6pv1ZAm_buL4mvamzs7TMw95YTzqwMm3Cci9c9NkfGdt7Cr824-b2aHPtC-UpwZL5kJXo1mU08rwStDhHbYiLGgPiktiZByZL054hza5B=w1079-h804-no

Last Memorial day weekend, I moved the wood from WV to KY. I have been working on restoring the table since.

X7C9WiA_nT3mRCNgkJTGrr00G66BWYiwJa3Fn15e3E3r82KK8m7cEq5AFZkOMrVetqrdZPtrYW1vH6E-Oo-Kz3lBOwVhYwKzDjla0y0olCUB4RyniIiZrTDtzgIVhQ0Iv3-nigehV3P5qUFBai8msIQ_5JodIhQiAmmkggNy-gAxkDmIoheV2tmSDk3zrwgdeUjc5vgKsmGSV9oB_YrjTypQ6QxkRVBvwqz9K-k5XUrSNmjkHQQsq-n7aAHbn9IFJA19hHQLCm2Ve_8Z-sGpq0XTATm1OC7-CIPzF-e3PtJbGKw_X_ziUBra08DItPjdFeqj07QapURoH7L5hrYEpnJVecxTUKABEq4Q0p1T01itO84xXBgWqt7P3qIKsjKzW8-I51JwwhvsUpr98OA-uUQ24u7lqKfGW0WnibVAk3nZujoDUaExKqzBGpp9KEsRMeM75orTZi-eZOinr_tz8j49JIqRhwm41guFoZJMCOp8oGe24cgHj3J7szdZCWVDF3N3WjLfEN1wptRvuS0G08gxgXQLkrqF-5lcj4950IiJ4J11AUGyJfaHT5P7mBFR-PYTU8RkSjrtN0jQJmgeABQQq6MpUP7SITaMOZSMtUD0Q9x2Pk7k=w1079-h804-no

I have re veneered it, built new legs to match the proper Victor table. Now sitting in my pool room.

OButEVORc2Yjh-t7kZrF91F84mzEg-iUlZ2lK31cT1M3KYej1vg7xHSqs0alG87whhoEjUh3zU6BLok1ZB57BMohq5tVugJsMyoV5GIsFFwISPywNAjmxn1YhMgxd0lQebMc87-OfWk3WgxJTH_EbmTs2A9a7695MokzedusxR5bjkAEkchfjkvd0VJxhqpXGK41Vxmyk67orbJhHUq5RJ1V2quY5Mk6_xk1fkjvnhuV4-WVck17EBH_pToTyN-JzJBli-RqOBgmQiz8LHc08gRhYafiPfhbTOfck2hDU6V-6C_m98roIdz4m-k6dZUTkw50Gx8PnU043nqdpEed-BZSOEtxuCM23ro-i6HYAfJ1mSr31T6nxyNgaoFQhuSLHwchTPSP9Zp2UDY1rF1NhMRY1qkQRJEWB0PYMAoLDL9TOF8djxStJYzos5xlAA_tBkZjIsnDOevClVU1J9EfKtzMH9gphDTjEVFlPFUHW2d0jBZKBVAJSln0fSJ_y35bgcej6e-s6hOBWaCb3XxZ-YfRMldxH-990dz83suIlHaPD5rSApVT7iqh3SIThVdTIkCZRYJMov1D67taiahbubF3jDf07tccU3k4NnbuCqtO1WmOf_Fu=w1079-h804-no

The rails are also finished, and it is awaiting the slate to be installed, which is still in WV.

oy8dRc405KztyRpVteakAmgRxzvTMR43aovKTMy149DFVE5q6nITO0grj1u4G6BEXEyR-bHyVLVC1CuAs-cQnyvlnsM5X42eMGiJg12MqBQSO_ozhUZN9Z2ZrlIF-uQiXsjRFJkTphah58lJDWBS0pOGjpikHPnTtFTrO3Am_qt_y4dMveh4NsX8hI9ThY4Qkcb_0NrRUOS7nd3tc8VMhygtG9lGUkdw_yXIfMmUl9TPx6gXRvQjfLDDm2RVqYlbq96SYD_l4-FMhisNt91l3XXAwNVDO7qZRXKxyBB9WFVwNmELf5-rB6hqDUvKPXBEGTEUZw9NKtfzKdZBGy5OoGL_acekuiN1r36m65xrZz1QG83wb0elhtYszwrvZSdO4swXSGeaBz69HGNzOzZzzevHqBONvHsjM-GsL_N_Pc5eiVW4aGD7AgSBYrLD1Dibmm8XPnXt-peD7mr_X7KM3gFBqA5FeXEDKBe6-iv1tZfSiz5YxAbnz2Hj4ErJv3U3BZfsPDB1jQ1bFLkHfQxrnwswhuplofITspqzqdyTMV-PEVwc6LJIAJeIiGEmyo_vkfXDkTQPDebiKOtu2NLbRDxJQK_16w-r8OgnZG2l2EYzIYcK7Ur4=w1079-h804-no

I hope to get the slate on it before Christmas.

I am looking forward to start shooting again.

I have many questions about setting it up and tweaking the table.

I joined this forum end of May, and have enjoyed reading many of the threads.

Thanks for having me,

WH

ironsoldier71

Registered
I'm Michael McDonald.

I am a retired Army Veteran who served in the Iraq War as far back as the invasion. I've been actively playing pool since I was a teen in the 1980s. I recall when all the greats were still playing. Jim Rempe, Mike Segal, Buddy Hall, Steve Miz..., then the newer players like Johnnny Archer and Tommy Kennedy.

I favor Booggies Billiards in North Houston. They have great spacing of tables, good rates, and drinks are reasonable. The staff is pretty cool at Boogies West. (newer location)

At home I play with a Diamond Pro Am 9ft with Aramith Pro TV ball set with a Delta Rack. Playing cues I love my Two Feather pool cue by Viking cues. (11 of 150) It hits better than the old Schon's from the 80s believe it or not. Just a bit better... Breaking I love my Predator Break 3, Jump Cue the Predator Air 2... I carry it all in a Instroke Cue Case and always get complements off the case.

I have played in the BCA, APA, been to Vegas in both. TAP and several in house leagues from Austin to Orlando. A few touring spots with McDermott back in the early 90s. Lone Star Pool Tour ran by Kim White Knewsome in the 2010s...

I've also played in Central America, Caribbeans, Europe, and in Iraq ironically.

I'm not Johnny Archer but I can hold my own in a match....

Kind Regards,
Michael McDonald
Shooters Billiard Supply
www.shootersbilliardsupply.com

Stellar1024

Registered
What's up?

My name's Cory Wichman.. I've been playing pool for 20 years, ever since I started skipping class and hanging out at Hawley's in Dallas all day instead... However, I don't play like I've been playing 20 years. I always played fairly casually but recently decided to get a bit more serious...

JMASTERJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys! From South FL here

Hi hi! Well I haven't played more than 1-2 times per year for the last 20 years after playing a lot one semester at a college fraternity LOL. I just joined a pool league here so hence, I am the competitive type and I wanna excel in this as well, because I have "some" talent.

I am currently rated a 2 in that ABA system thing, 1-9 scale, and in no hurry to move up as I get my comfort and basics down. My best skill is defense, and can execute them at almost a pro level for the 0-1 bank defense shots... I just enjoy hitting them, I have good speed control and imagination, and I have watched a LOT of pro games like the US Open etc., men and women, and that really helped me, so I pretty much know everything there is to know on strategy and "how to play."

I also just watched some videos on stance, bridge, all the basics, so I will be working to perfect those.

My weakness? Shooting.... I need about 50k more reps with the right technique and I think I'll be good. My banking is real good since that is simple geometry, but any shot over 1-2 feet I have trouble with in making, straight or hard cuts. I am learning about aiming and how to setup for the best angles. I have looked at the ghost ball method but I dont like it much.

Looking forward to learning here and also helping anyone else on strategy and stuff! :)

doctor2pi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings from Central CA

Hi everyone!

Just created an account here after lurking for some time. Looking forward to getting back into pool after taking a loooong hiatus due to work hours and family. I've been playing for about 20 years, on and off (more on than off) and now my two daughters have the pool bug so we're looking for pool halls in our area.

Take care!

T from Bakersfield

demartini rocks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
to all enjoy the holiday period-from brooklyn, ny

1st post here. been reading this forum for quite some time now. look forward to posting/replying in this site going onward. many insightful players.

Avathar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, my name is Bjoern and I am a pool addict ... I did however never go for the denial thing ... I am what I am, right?

Anyhow ... 42 (soon), from south of Stuttgart, Germany, playing in the "lowest" German league, but doing alright I suppose.

I like this place, as there are loads of information from as many nice people around (of course there are the others also, however that is the nature of a forum), of who I had the pleasure to meet a few i.e. Minneapolis, Boston and Montreal :)

I raised my average in straight pool quite a bit by following suggestions in some nice straight pool tutorial videos here and thus thought the introductions would also be a nice place to say thank you very much!