Omaha pool hall defies public smoking ban

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beautiful place..........

Nice looking pool hall, too bad they allow people to smoke.

(awaiting the flaming)

I was there and plan on going back there to visit.

Once the smoke is gone the owner can start promoting some things and get more non smokers in there.

The sad thing is that if it is done by the city the players that smoke will just go to the outskirts or suburbs. He will lose allot of business.

These states need to get it together so that every business is on a level playing field.

One state I was in the old poolhalls could smoke because they were grandfathered in. If a new one opens they have to be all non smoking.

Good luck opening a pool hall there. I don't think this is good for pool at all. No new rooms.

But to most of these cities the bars and poolhalls are considered black eyes. They would just as soon see them close.

I know. I had a poolhall/bar and got ran out of town on a rail.

Once a few city officials decide they don't want you there your done. You can fight for awhile but the end is predictable. You lose..........

One thing you don't want to do is create enemies in the city system.

They can do things to your business that is unreal. You could even end up in jail like I did and be totally innocent of any crime. You get out because what is right is right with no penalties but that person just stole 2 or 3 weeks of your life.

it ain't worth it. Don't fight a losing battle that you know you will lose for sure.....

Good advice from someone that knows for sure:rolleyes:

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Smoking has been banned in California businesses for a long time now, and we get along just fine. Just construct a semi-outdoor smoking room. That's what everyone here has done.

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
No end to regulation.

I choose freedom.

Freedom for the room owner.
Freedom for myself.

The government will never be done
justifying their own existence.

The government will always find greater
justification for regulation as it continually
redefines what is best for us and how it is
going to "help" us.

Example: It helps us by providing health care
(with our money) for those who choose to do
unhealthy things like smoking.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good post.......

Every smoking thread ever:

Dude 1: smoke sucks to breathe and makes my clothes stink and I'm glad some places are sane enough to outlaw it.
(optional: "I'm an ex-smoker and I feel that...")

Dude 2: oh stop being such a baby, it's not so bad.

Dude 3: the business should be able to decide, the government should not be able to control us and infringe on the business owner's rights

Dude 4: I'm a smoker but I know it's shitty for non-smokers so I don't do it around them and prefer nonsmoking halls.

Nevermind the rhetoric, it ultimately boils down to: do you give a shit about bothering other people or are you hellbent to make yourself comfortable at the expense of others?

Telling it as it is.

Until 1986 I was the most inconsiderate smoker in the world.

After I quit i look back ands can't believe the attitude I had.

I think it had something to do with how dare someone try to restrict my addiction.

Good job cigerette companies for all the addicting you created , the suffering from all the sickness.

The reason they still get away with it today is the money and

Dead People Don't Complain.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I loved to play at BIG JOHNS when I was a kid, smoking laws are unfair

Omaha pool hall defies public smoking ban

http://www.kgwn.tv/story/19812645/omaha-pool-hall-defies-public-smoking-ban

Posted: Oct 13, 2012 2:54 PM MDT
Updated: Oct 13, 2012 2:54 PM MDT
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - An Omaha pool hall that has long fought the state's 2009 public smoking ban is openly defying the ban by inviting its patrons to light up.

Bill Prout, the general manager of Big John's Billiards, tells the Omaha World-Herald (http://bit.ly/QxTQ48) that the establishment is "making a stand."

Prout met with a Douglas County Health Department official who showed up at the pool hall Friday to follow up on complaints of smoking at the hall and conduct a compliance check. The official didn't find anyone smoking, but she didn't need to. All around the hall were ashtrays and signs stating, "This is a smoking establishment."

Prout also told the official that the hall is allowing smoking.

The hall will likely get a $100 ticket for a first-time violation.

Information from: Omaha World-Herald, http://www.omaha.com

I was playing at Big Johns when I was 17 years old against the locals like Bucky Carroll, and "Cash Man", during the time I was traveling with "Omaha John" Shuput. What a great place and I hate to hear about the smoking law.

Smoking laws cost me 2.8 Million here in Dallas so I know how it feels. Seems like an unconstitutional thing, you should just have to post a sign saying "Enter At Your Own Risk, Smoking Permitted".....but no, that would be too Pro Business. :eek:

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
The buisness owner decides.

And If a buisness wants to open withought fire sprinklers and emergency exits thats thier right right?They can just post a sign stating enter at your own risk-cheap beer and free pool!

Who needs a hood over the grill and other cooking equiptment right?Just let the smoke waft thru the building.

All these anoying health department regulations,right?Whats a little samonela here and there?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

And If a buisness wants to open withought fire sprinklers and emergency exits thats thier right right?They can just post a sign stating enter at your own risk-cheap beer and free pool!

Who needs a hood over the grill and other cooking equiptment right?Just let the smoke waft thru the building.

All these anoying health department regulations,right?Whats a little samonela here and there?

Exactly....the first smoker that gets food poisoning is gonna lawyer up faster than an Earl running a rack and sue the business owner. Their loyalty only goes so far, and once someone eats some bad chicken the gloves will come off......

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing at Big Johns when I was 17 years old against the locals like Bucky Carroll, and "Cash Man", during the time I was traveling with "Omaha John" Shuput. What a great place and I hate to hear about the smoking law.

Smoking laws cost me 2.8 Million here in Dallas so I know how it feels. Seems like an unconstitutional thing, you should just have to post a sign saying "Enter At Your Own Risk, Smoking Permitted".....but no, that would be too Pro Business. :eek:

I haven't seen Bucky in a few years. I'm sure he is around though. I think Omaha John still hangs out there...hitting them left handed now I think someone said.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I have always felt that it should be measured by air quality. IF a business can put in enough air filtration to make the air as clean or even cleaner than the outside then there is no health risk at all.

I have often told the story of Pinkie's in Las Vegas. A long time ago a group of us went there after a show and the place was pretty full and even though everyone was smoking the air was clear. The cigarette smoke would go straight up and disappear. I and several other remarked on it - being straight from the BCA show and all.

When I looked up I saw that they had a LOT of big air filters looked like one every four tables or so maybe more. Anyway, there was no smoke issue in that place.

It is certainly true that the safety of the workforce and the health of the patrons has to be weighed against the desire of the businessman. It's a thorny issue for sure. To me as a non smoker it's certainly nicer and better to play in smoke-free places. The other day I was playing some cheap one pocket and these guys were playing right next to me and holding their cigarettes in their hands while playing and blowing smoke right over our table. I made a big production of fanning the smoke back in their direct until they got the point to keep their smoke away from me.

Over here I have no chance to play pool in a smoke free pool room.

If I were a pool room owner I'd probably be pissed about a smoking ban. As a non-smoker I love it for two reasons, clean air for one and the fact that it puts smokers on tilt jonesing for a cigarette when we gamble. :)

Although the latter reason doesn't actually seem to help me much.

pooljunkie4ever

Grab Life by the BALL!
Silver Member
What is really funny about this is all the opinions about doing this and that to keep you business going. Fact of the matter is if the owner had money to add a area outside for smokers or add a better filtration system, dont you think they would. I mean lets face it, these places don't make much money.
I hope the owner wins in this situation, i know his odds are like at 0% to win and more than likely he will have to close down, but as most have stated around here, I am really tied of the goverment dictating everything.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I am a social smoker and I really don't feel inconvenienced at all to have to walk outside. Besides, it'll probably help you smoke less. When you smoke, you really don't notice the smell that much, but when you're a non-smoker, it stinks!

I think if the owner wants to make both parties happy, he could build an outdoor sort of smoker's lounge heated and air conditioned with ventilation. A 5 minute smoke break between a few games really shouldn't be that difficult.

Good idea, with great results, but you left out THE deciding party: the govt. It trumps the customer's and owner's desires...every time. That's what it does.

Buy all that equipment and then when the govt says 'no smoking' (all here agree that is inevitable) and you're out thousands of dollars, now a total waste. All from simply trying to do the right thing: please the customers.

Someday, once again, pool itself will become illegal....for the children.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

You're assuming that if the govt doesn't force it, it can't happen.

That's a dangerous and false assumption.

Jeff Livingston

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
I was playing at Big Johns when I was 17 years old against the locals like Bucky Carroll, and "Cash Man", during the time I was traveling with "Omaha John" Shuput.:eek:

Lucky Bucky, I forgot about him, haven't seen him for like 25 years. Is he still around?

shojingod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No lawsuit will bring back your health or your life. Money is not worth much to you if your dead or have serious health problems. It's too late at that point. :rolleyes:

Exactly....the first smoker that gets food poisoning is gonna lawyer up faster than an Earl running a rack and sue the business owner. Their loyalty only goes so far, and once someone eats some bad chicken the gloves will come off......

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
No lawsuit will bring back your health or your life. Money is not worth much to you if your dead or have serious health problems. It's too late at that point. :rolleyes:

Exactly, and thus why there are regulations and laws about food preperation, etc.....

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice looking pool hall, too bad they allow people to smoke.

(awaiting the flaming)

Yea, I hope they get fined. Let that be a lesson to them.

And if they continue to skirt the law, I hope they get shut down.

RESPECT NON SMOKERS AND THE LAW!!!!!!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I think most of these bans are not rooted in the well being of non-smokers but rather in creating a safe environment for the staff. The idea is that the staff shouldn't be subjected to second-hand smoke when working.

But really I do think it's simply courteous to not smoke around people who don't smoke without at least asking them if it's ok. When people share a space the civil thing to do is not to create an environment that is uncomfortable. Same things applies to being extra noisy, leaving the kitchen filthy, hogging all the space and so on.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I just nearly had a heart attack, I agree 100% with CJ on something. LOL! CJ, I may be wrong but I'm guessing you're a non-smoker yourself?