Perfect aim - review

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheConArtist

Daddy's A Butcher
Silver Member
After seeing the dvd for myself i have already sighted down the edges of the cueball and never really did believe the dominant eye thing as i see two cueballs. Niels and Earl can be some of the most best shot makers in the world and look at how they address the cueball. For me seeing two cueballs For cuts to the left i would use the right cueball and vice versa for right cuts. 80 bucks for something that i already did blew my mind. But like everyone that plays pool we almost never do the same thing or aim the same way. Certain things work certain people, There are four basic shots in pool for me and i use a different aiming system for each shot come to think about it. For example a Straight in shot i can sight down the center of the cueball and make them or i can sight down the edges and make them. For half ball cuts if you like to sight center cueball just aim at the edge of the objectball, or you can sight down the edge and aim for center of the objectball. Or if you like do both. There ain't gonna be no perfect aiming system that won't make you miss, everyone misses.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
yes.. but if he did? You get my drift I hope.

So Dave Nelson hated the video...called PJ (someone he knew who was smart, articulate, loved to knock Gene, and would also hate the video and gave him the video to "review.") PJ didn't even get his technique right - that's how close he paid attn. If PJ was a student of the game (which he's not), he would have played around with the info before reviewing anything. But, like I said - his understanding of Gene's sighting is wrong based on the OP. So.... what NOW about the review? I'll go one step further and ask anyone reading this if they saw the video if they concur with PJ's assessment of Gene's info? If so -- there's a bunch of people who need to rewatch and re-pay-attn. They prob thought the book Animal Farm was about cute furry talking animals too.

PJ called Gene's system the double-overlap system with a dominant eye--- and that's not even the bloody info. So, the guy you're stroking for a great "review" didn't even know the point of the video -- which is what sent me on tilt earlier in the thread. That proves his FOCUS was to shit on Gene for poor editing or whatever and didn't take a moment to understand what he was seeing--- didn't try it (that I'm SURE of) -- and then came on here to blast it in front of the world.

So, hopefully the few nonpartisan people on here have a clue what I'm saying--- and you get MY drift. Everyone here knows I don't even aim with overlaps so I don't even have a dog in the fight. So, while a few might think I'm biased --- I'm not. I'm just calling bullshit on a bullshit review.

I will say Gene's info was never posted here before Gene -- that's a fact. Good luck digging up an old thread to quote PJ. Better re-watch that video...for real this time, before cocking off.

So, for those who owned the video and thought this review was great---- it tips your hand to show your lack of understanding of the technique (since PJ wasn't right). If you were lost, you should have called Gene (which I did a few times - because I didn't get it at first either). What Gene lacks in delivery or editing (or even linear topics) -- he more than makes up for in personal access with phone calls.

Many of you know PJ and I got into it a lot with other aiming threads like CTE and Ron's 90/90. The reason for that is because your "pool scientist PJ" takes cursory looks at things, forms an opinion - and sticks it out without trial & error or even basic education of the techniques. When called out, he throws the ball back into your court to explain what he doesn't understand and I never bring him up to speed because quite frankly --- he's a dick (and this thread proves it).

Gene's info is solid. Is it worth $80? I thought so - but that doesn't mean anyone has to think so (obviously Dave Nelson thought it wasn't - -- but I question if he GOT it to begin with). I'm sure he didn't call Gene to help him before firing a DVD to PJ.

Many of you miss the fact that this site is FULL of partisan politics. It's not science people against players.... it's a core group of "science-based-guys" against everyone the clique doesn't agree with... a self-appointed board of pool directors. The moment Gene came along, the PJ clique were immediately bashing the guy. Even when I didn't quite understand what Gene was trying to say... I never bashed him nor did I knock him. I was careful in my review of his DVD and even came back 60 days later to re-comment on the DVD (after I put in about 50 hours of practice on his info). Then, when PJ posted this scathing review and didn't even get the sighting correct--- I exploded. To me, it was all agenda-based--- and many of you bought it and more.

However, you'll have different types of people on an internet forum.... the students of the game, the players who are natural, players who are students, students who play poorly and the know it alls who can't play. The know it alls that post here are excellent imposters. The post well and talk with conviction. However, every so often they show their panties and that's what happened with this thread. Sadly, the followers latched on to hitch a ride on the moron express without knowing their leader posted a BS "review" and didn't get the content right. Close, but no cigar, PJ.

It's unfortunate... if PJ were a student of the game, he could have really watched the video to understand the EXACT eye position, maybe called Gene to bounce some questions off him, played with the material for a week and then the outcome could have easily been a review that was accurate and slanted 180 degrees from this one. However, the urge to attack and knock was more than his will to review. :(

Spider

P.S. JoeW, sorry you think I'm personally attacking PJ without merit. I see things you don't see - no offense. I think you're a good poster.

Last edited:

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a tradition in the pool players’ mentality of not “knocking” someone's action though the fish, pigeon or whatever derogatory name is used may not be aware that he is being ripped off. This ethos is actually contrary to our usual American values of honesty on the part of all parties.

A lie of omission is recognized as a fault by many people in our culture. So in the final analysis there are many with poor values with regard to social relations in the pool players world. I doubt that PJ's statements place him in this ethos. In fact, his review places him in the company of those seen to hold to a higher set of values -- Tell it like it is.

"If you can't attack his ideas attack the peson," is all too common and indeed turns many away from AZB and similar places. The rest of us recognize that not all that glitters is gold.

D-Rock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the only real knock people actually have of this dvd is the price itself. With so many good instructional dvd's and books out there for far less I can see why. For 1/4-1/3 the price you can pick up an instructional dvd that covers FAR more then what gene covers. Will you learn anything from it? Maybe you will, maybe you won't, but with so much more covered your chances of learning something new is far greater, and if you don't, well, your out 25 bucks.

Now Gene has only 1 thing to offer on his dvd. An alignment technique. As with any technique it will work for some and not for others. I'm sure what Gene has to offer is authentic and could truly help some peoples game and may not do squat for others. But I also believe it is highly overpriced for what it is. I think if gene brought his price down to a more reasonable level these "bashing" threads would cease.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would hope Spider that we are having a discussion of issues here not of people. The issues are the important matters.

I understand that you do not like PJ's review. There are many things that PJ says with which I disagree. I do not see a need to attack anyone integrity, yours, PJ's or Gene's.

I am well aware of the idea that there are many things I do not know about why another says or does the things they say or do.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
There is a tradition in the pool players’ mentality of not “knocking” someone's action though the fish, pigeon or whatever derogatory name is used may not be aware that he is being ripped off. This ethos is actually contrary to our usual American values of honesty on the part of all parties.

A lie of omission is recognized as a fault by many people in our culture. So in the final analysis there are many with poor values with regard to social relations in the pool players world. I doubt that PJ's statements place him in this ethos. In fact, his review places him in the company of those seen to hold to a higher set of values -- Tell it like it is.

"If you can't attack his ideas attack the peson," is all too common and indeed turns many away from AZB and similar places. The rest of us recognize that not all that glitters is gold.

I'm on record as attacking both. I'm attacking the accuracy of his review that you think is held to a high set of values --- which is like calling a whore a pretty classy chick. I don't need to explain myself because there are plenty of people who understand Gene's system that knew PJ's post was absurd. Finally, I'm attacking the guy because his review was predetermined prior to watching the DVD - and that's on par with other aiming threads he has participated in.

Hey like me or hate me - I'm EDUCATED and BALANCED. I might come across as brash for those who aren't and act like they are, because I can't hack the politics on this site. It's poisonous.

So, you're defending a review and you don't know the contents--- you're buying in blindly. What's that called in psychology?

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
So Dave Nelson hated the video...called PJ (someone he knew who was smart, articulate, loved to knock Gene, and would also hate the video and gave him the video to "review.") PJ didn't even get his technique right - that's how close he paid attn. If PJ was a student of the game (which he's not), he would have played around with the info before reviewing anything. But, like I said - his understanding of Gene's sighting is wrong based on the OP. So.... what NOW about the review? I'll go one step further and ask anyone reading this if they saw the video if they concur with PJ's assessment of Gene's info? If so -- there's a bunch of people who need to rewatch and re-pay-attn. They prob thought the book Animal Farm was about cute furry talking animals too.

I am not sure if I'm more surprised that someone decided to review and blast out what they thought the video was teaching, or the fact that in the 3 to 4 sentences they summed up a very small part of the entire Perfect Aim system.

If you honestly believe that Gene's system is just looking at overlaying the cueball with the object ball, you definitely didn't get what 90% of the system was teaching. And I highly doubt that you were able to take the technique to the table and start making ridiculous cut shots and built your confidence on many weak-side shots.

I was fortunate to have Gene give me the lesson in person in Phoenix this past summer and I learned a ton by it.

To me this review is not any different than the thread blasting RealKingCobra a few weeks ago. If you didn't like it, state that you didn't and that's it. Or better yet, do what Gene has said to all of his students and purchasers of the video. Give him a call and he will talk you through what you do not understand. I know you probably won't take that advice, but just imagine if you did and gave it a chance. How stupid are you going to feel when the techniques show you 1, 2, ... 10 shots that had limited your game before.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I am not sure if I'm more surprised that someone decided to review and blast out what they thought the video was teaching, or the fact that in the 3 to 4 sentences they summed up a very small part of the entire Perfect Aim system.

If you honestly believe that Gene's system is just looking at overlaying the cueball with the object ball, you definitely didn't get what 90% of the system was teaching. And I highly doubt that you were able to take the technique to the table and start making ridiculous cut shots and built your confidence on many weak-side shots.

I was fortunate to have Gene give me the lesson in person in Phoenix this past summer and I learned a ton by it.

To me this review is not any different than the thread blasting RealKingCobra a few weeks ago. If you didn't like it, state that you didn't and that's it. Or better yet, do what Gene has said to all of his students and purchasers of the video. Give him a call and he will talk you through what you do not understand. I know you probably won't take that advice, but just imagine if you did and gave it a chance. How stupid are you going to feel when the techniques show you 1, 2, ... 10 shots that had limited your game before.

Well said, stuckart. You forget - PJ won't try anything because he knows everything and is #1 in the world in his own mind. He needs a station wagon to tote all his nuthuggers around who think his talk is gospel. If I were to nuthug, it'd be people like Schmidt, Marop, Lipsky, Beard, BJ, JoeyA and others who can PLAY and KNOW A TON. People who can interpret the science an translate into playing techniques - not cue table diagrams. I mean, shit... these guys aren't even nuthugging the right nuts--- THAT'S what's funny to me. The nuts I hang from can support my own weight - that's for sure. If I swung from PJ's nuts on top of the Empire State Building---- you'd need a razor blade to scrape me off the concrete below.

D-Rock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just out of curiosity. Does genes dvd have closed captioning for the hearing impaired? For 80 bucks it should.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
If you rely on PJ for an accurate review, I feel sorry for your game..

Well said, stuckart. You forget - PJ won't try anything because he knows everything and is #1 in the world in his own mind. He needs a station wagon to tote all his nuthuggers around who think his talk is gospel. If I were to nuthug, it'd be people like Schmidt, Marop, Lipsky, Beard, BJ, JoeyA and others who can PLAY and KNOW A TON. People who can interpret the science an translate into playing techniques - not cue table diagrams. I mean, shit... these guys aren't even nuthugging the right nuts--- THAT'S what's funny to me. The nuts I hang from can support my own weight - that's for sure. If I swung from PJ's nuts on top of the Empire State Building---- you'd need a razor blade to scrape me off the concrete below.

Well said Dave... I'm laughing my butt of reading this.

I also agree with the post by Stuckart. The actual content from the video does not even compare to the pitiful review by PJ. Isn't he one of the first to blast those on here with new ideas, methods etc.. I vividly remember him blasting Hal Houle on here when he was posting, so the Gene bashing came as no surprise.

I am amazed at how many nuthuggers as you call them are all over PJ's review and seem to consider his very distorted review as gospel. Oh well, I have learned a ton from Gene. The video may have not been the best from a production standpoint but I found the information to be invaluable to me. The ones that ***** about the pricetag are not really interested in learning more. That's ok, we can use our knowledge to improve our game to a higher level.

Peace, Joe

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Bonehead remark, omitted by poster..

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It's clearly imbalanced and potentially misleading for any commercial product to get so much free advertisement here with no actual info or fact-based review of it. I thought that was a glaring omission in this case and simply wanted to correct it.

I didn't set out to bash Gene's video or to sell it; just to provide some factual grounding for the endless threads about it, which seemed to me to be nothing but froth. I was actually surprised at how poorly the video came across to me, and even considered not reviewing it because any honest review would have to be so bluntly negative. In the end I decided I couldn't in good conscience censor myself while the unrelenting advertising went on and on.

Discussion about the video obviously hasn't been diminished by my review, so it may actually be good for Gene's sales. That wouldn't bother me at all - at least his new customers will be better informed than his old ones. I wish them and him well. For the record, I'm not negative about everything Gene posts here - before I saw and reviewed the video I had noticed and complimented him for some other useful info he has posted.

By the way, private responses have been overwhelmingly positive - I've received several million new rep points. I'm very glad to have posted something that so many found valuable. Thanks for the thoughts.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
It's clearly imbalanced and potentially misleading for any commercial product to get so much free advertisement here with no actual info or fact-based review of it. I thought that was a glaring omission in this case and simply wanted to correct it.

I didn't set out to bash Gene's video or to sell it; just to provide some factual grounding for the endless threads about it, which seemed to me to be nothing but froth. I was actually surprised at how poorly the video came across to me, and even considered not reviewing it because any honest review would have to be so bluntly negative. In the end I decided I couldn't in good conscience censor myself while the unrelenting advertisement went on and on.

Discussion about the video obviously hasn't been diminished by my review, so it may actually be good for Gene's sales. That wouldn't bother me at all - at least his new customers will be better informed than his old ones. I wish them and him well. For the record, I'm not negative about everything Gene posts here - before I saw and reviewed the video I had noticed and complimented him for some other useful info he has posted.

By the way, private responses have been overwhelmingly positive - I've received several million new rep points. I'm very glad to have posted something that so many found valuable. Thanks for the thoughts.

pj
chgo

You didn't even get the info correct. If I was at a table with you RIGHT now... you wouldn't even be doing it correctly based on your first post. So, how the hell can you review it?

Glad to hear you're getting rep points from non players. I think I have something like 75 million rep points. If I could transfer them, I'd give them all to you... they're as meaningless as your review

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
To those who say I didn't understand the video, I'd be interested to hear some specific examples such as I gave for my review. Aren't you the guys who hate non-factual bashing?

pj
chgo

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
To those who say I didn't understand the video, I'd be interested to hear some specific examples such as I gave for my review. Aren't you the guys who hate non-factual bashing?

pj
chgo

Watch it a few times - you'll figure it out. Maybe you should call Gene--- he'd prob help you. Not my place. A few people PMed me for the discrepancy - and I told them. I hope they won't post because it's Gene's info, and I'm sure he doesn't want any more posted beyond your super insightful review.

You're just a little nervous now, wondering what you're not getting right. Which, of course, is par for you since you "know" everything. Any player with any ability would think his info was good after an honest trial--- but you never did that--- you just watched the DVD and then ran to the computer. No bwains, PJ - or follow through.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to know Patrick if you took the information to the table and tried it? I agree, the video could use some help in the production quality, and the communication. Its not the easiest thing to grasp. So did you try it on a table or not?

D-Rock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Way to jump on that bandwagon! Strong Post:

bandwagon huh? The only thing negative I have ever said was the price tag. I seriously want to know if it has caption or not. But I suppose you wouldn't care much since i'm sure you hear just fine.

paksat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

PJ called Gene's system the double-overlap system with a dominant eye--- and that's not even the bloody info. So, the guy you're stroking for a great "review" didn't even know the point of the video -- which is what sent me on tilt earlier in the thread. That proves his FOCUS was to shit on Gene for poor editing or whatever and didn't take a moment to understand what he was seeing--- didn't try it (that I'm SURE of) -- and then came on here to blast it in front of the world.

So, hopefully the few nonpartisan people on here have a clue what I'm saying--- and you get MY drift. Everyone here knows I don't even aim with overlaps so I don't even have a dog in the fight. So, while a few might think I'm biased --- I'm not. I'm just calling bullshit on a bullshit review.

I will say Gene's info was never posted here before Gene -- that's a fact. Good luck digging up an old thread to quote PJ. Better re-watch that video...for real this time, before cocking off.

So, for those who owned the video and thought this review was great---- it tips your hand to show your lack of understanding of the technique (since PJ wasn't right). If you were lost, you should have called Gene (which I did a few times - because I didn't get it at first either). What Gene lacks in delivery or editing (or even linear topics) -- he more than makes up for in personal access with phone calls.

Many of you know PJ and I got into it a lot with other aiming threads like CTE and Ron's 90/90. The reason for that is because your "pool scientist PJ" takes cursory looks at things, forms an opinion - and sticks it out without trial & error or even basic education of the techniques. When called out, he throws the ball back into your court to explain what he doesn't understand and I never bring him up to speed because quite frankly --- he's a dick (and this thread proves it).

Gene's info is solid. Is it worth $80? I thought so - but that doesn't mean anyone has to think so (obviously Dave Nelson thought it wasn't - -- but I question if he GOT it to begin with). I'm sure he didn't call Gene to help him before firing a DVD to PJ.

Many of you miss the fact that this site is FULL of partisan politics. It's not science people against players.... it's a core group of "science-based-guys" against everyone the clique doesn't agree with... a self-appointed board of pool directors. The moment Gene came along, the PJ clique were immediately bashing the guy. Even when I didn't quite understand what Gene was trying to say... I never bashed him nor did I knock him. I was careful in my review of his DVD and even came back 60 days later to re-comment on the DVD (after I put in about 50 hours of practice on his info). Then, when PJ posted this scathing review and didn't even get the sighting correct--- I exploded. To me, it was all agenda-based--- and many of you bought it and more.

However, you'll have different types of people on an internet forum.... the students of the game, the players who are natural, players who are students, students who play poorly and the know it alls who can't play. The know it alls that post here are excellent imposters. The post well and talk with conviction. However, every so often they show their panties and that's what happened with this thread. Sadly, the followers latched on to hitch a ride on the moron express without knowing their leader posted a BS "review" and didn't get the content right. Close, but no cigar, PJ.

It's unfortunate... if PJ were a student of the game, he could have really watched the video to understand the EXACT eye position, maybe called Gene to bounce some questions off him, played with the material for a week and then the outcome could have easily been a review that was accurate and slanted 180 degrees from this one. However, the urge to attack and knock was more than his will to review. :(

Spider

P.S. JoeW, sorry you think I'm personally attacking PJ without merit. I see things you don't see - no offense. I think you're a good poster.

I never "admired" his review spider. I did agree with it simply based on the fact that he wants 80$ for an aiming system.

I didn't "applaud" his review and denounce a person I don't know. I just think that wanting that much for something that I believe is 90% feel and 10% visual is a little odd.

Obviously though, after reading that, and some of the other stuff posted recently, i'm assuming there's more going on that what fits the screen.

paksat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bandwagon huh? The only thing negative I have ever said was the price tag. I seriously want to know if it has caption or not. But I suppose you wouldn't care much since i'm sure you hear just fine.

price tag did it for me too

Status
Not open for further replies.