Poll: Who have tested that their cue is pointing at the right place.

Have you tested - your cue tip, center of CB & a target in a distance is in spot on?

• No - No intention to

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • No - Intended to

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In so many threads, there are so many players who wonder why they are not making the pocket or whether their alignment is off or whether their aiming system is unsuitable for them, or problems with their cueing action, or their basic stance, etc etc.

I believe in any sports that requires pointing with an instrument, ie. a rifle, it is imperative that a person wielding the instrument must be able to point directly at the target at all times to ensure a chance of a bullseye.

In a rifle, there are three points that the eye makes use to aim. The rear side aperture (the one with the circle), the foresight tip and the target. If they are all in a line, then the rifle will always be pointing at the same spot.

Now imagine a rifle without the rear side aperture and the foresight tip, how then can you aim (as in using the cue). In the scenario of the rifle, the difficulty level is higher as the target is in a three dimensional space. For pool, it is two dimensional.

As there is no rear sight aperture and foresight tip to help us with our aiming, the aiming for many of us is by pure gut feeling - maybe muscle memory for the pro. If you are always off in your basic aiming (sometimes a little to the left and sometimes a little to the right), then you will always question yourself on whether it is the cuing action, aiming, aiming system, basic stance, etc that is making you inconsistent in your shooting assuming you neglect this fundamental aspect of a shooting instrument.

My question to all pool players here amateur and experts: [B]Have you ever tested to see that you are able to point your cue tip in the center of the cue ball to a target line (vertical line) in the distance, and ensure that your aim is spot on?[/B]

I am not sure if there are any tools or instrument aide that can help you to test this. I have devised a home made DIY which you can test at home. I am sure some of you have your own if not a better method.

Aiming in pool is gut and therefore the eye-target test isn't of much use. Even if there a test that was spot on it wouldn't make a difference.

Aiming in pool is the contact point of the cb to the contact point of the ob - that is the only true definable line from one point to another, and in pool aiming this can only be approximated. Think of it this way- let's say you have an angled 3/4 length table shot - now let's say you move that ob over a couple inches which changes the contact point. How will you PHYSICALLY change your aim. The contact point on the OB has moved over an 1/8". Are you seriously going to actually shift your line of aim? no,,,because essentially a move of 1/8 " on the OB at 3/4 table length means you're still roughly aiming at the same point, BUT you are using your gut to make a mental shift in the line of aim...in that respect a measure of your line of aim is only good to know your mechanics are ok and nothing more. Maybe some dead-eye pro sees everything but they're in a different sphere of this world.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Beg to differ if you like. You are entitled to your opinion.

Most cops couldnt hit center mass at 5 feet, you using that analogy negates everything else you say FOREVER!
Jason

I would guess most soldiers too, but I don't have experience with them at the range. cops, i do, and their targets usually look like they used a sawed off shotgun.

Last edited:

precisepotting

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most cops couldnt hit center mass at 5 feet, you using that analogy negates everything else you say FOREVER!
Jason

I would guess most soldiers too, but I don't have experience with them at the range. cops, i do, and their targets usually look like they used a sawed off shotgun.

In my country, all able-man must go through the army for two years and we do got to range and use the rifle quite regularly. Hence I am quite verse in that. You can be a sharp shooter when you are zeroing your weapon but when you are shooting at a moving target, then you have to aim off (depending on the distance of the target from you). In most cases, many of us will miss the target completely. It isn't easy, as in long distance thin cut shot in pool, that isn't easy either.

But if you are not a sharp shooter at zeroing, then the likelihood of you hitting a moving target will be closed to zero.

Note: To be a sharpshooter, speed of breathing, the sequence of breathing in and out, holding your breath, trying to minimize any movement when you pull the trigger, all matters. This is akin to our body movement, elbow movement, hand grip, etc in pool. A small movement or error might result in a miss.

Last edited:

precisepotting

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aiming in pool is gut and therefore the eye-target test isn't of much use. Even if there a test that was spot on it wouldn't make a difference.

Aiming in pool is the contact point of the cb to the contact point of the ob - that is the only true definable line from one point to another, and in pool aiming this can only be approximated. Think of it this way- let's say you have an angled 3/4 length table shot - now let's say you move that ob over a couple inches which changes the contact point. How will you PHYSICALLY change your aim. The contact point on the OB has moved over an 1/8". Are you seriously going to actually shift your line of aim? no,,,because essentially a move of 1/8 " on the OB at 3/4 table length means you're still roughly aiming at the same point, BUT you are using your gut to make a mental shift in the line of aim...in that respect a measure of your line of aim is only good to know your mechanics are ok and nothing more. Maybe some dead-eye pro sees everything but they're in a different sphere of this world.

I do agree that to a certain extent, certain shots are gut feel (although I am not pro enough to qualify my statement) if you are not using any aiming system. But if you are not sure where you are pointing, then how can you get the cue ball to go to that place. Example of a straight in center ball.

I wonder if the all pro plays but gut feel. I doubt because if the gut is not well that day, then they will be missing many embarrassing easy shots. I pretty sure all pros are spot on in their aiming.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Jason

Why should your words be more meaningful than mine or anybody else? How do you qualify your opinion, or do you even have an opinion? Are you merely chiming in to this topic to be an ass, because I said something that you disagree with? Your post seems quite Trollish. There's no structured thought given by you, just insults and foolhardy attempts at belittlement. Par for the course on this forum anymore. Any chance at civil, constructive conversation is thwarted by ignorance & trolling. It used to be that two sides could offer opposing opinions, discuss qualifications of said opinions, and the conversation would be fruitful with both sides learning something. Those days are gone. Now if you disagree with somebody but can't offer a thoughtful rebuttal, you just attempt to belittle & humiliate them, publicly if possible. Ignorance.

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do agree that to a certain extent, certain shots are gut feel (although I am not pro enough to qualify my statement) if you are not using any aiming system. But if you are not sure where you are pointing, then how can you get the cue ball to go to that place. Example of a straight in center ball.

I wonder if the all pro plays but gut feel. I doubt because if the gut is not well that day, then they will be missing many embarrassing easy shots. I pretty sure all pros are spot on in their aiming.

I cannot speak for the pros but consider what it takes to be a pro in any of life's endeavors, and why they are pros and we are not...theysee something you or I don't. I assume nothing other than whatever system they arrived at, it is their own. By that I mean I infer you're posting this question on the assumption that there is some template that can be applied by many of us, and there is not. There's a Shane VanB video on youtube where he is asked about an "aiming system" to which he replies yes. But if you watch and listen carefully, he really relies on practice, muscle memory, and trial and error,,,at which point he DID arrive at a kind of a system. However I think I'm pulling this topic away from the original question.

Pool is not like aiming an arrow of gun as you assume. Even though you are running your eyes down a straight shaft, the contact point is different from the point of aim. The point of aim can be measured, the contact point is approximated.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
ummmmm.. every single shot ever taken by anyone is a test to see if they pointed the stick in the right place...

Pro tip: if the object ball went into pocket.. the test was successful ..

have a nice day:thumbup::thumbup:

precisepotting

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you heard of players that say they prefer a long thick cut than a long straight in shot? These are players who play with gut feelings.

When you play a long distance thick cut, three things are going for you:

1. The tolerance error has increased. You have more room for error and the object ball will still make it.
2. Two wrongs can make a right. If you aimed too thin, and if your cue error compensated for it, you will still make the pot due to s/no 1 above, or
3. Your gut feel aim is correct and you cue perfectly.

However, for a long straight in shot, the error is obvious if you don't make the pot. It could be:
1. The tolerance error is a lot less than a thick cut.
2. A right and a wrong is still a wrong. If you think your gut feel aiming is spot on, then wrong cuing action would not compensate for it or
3. Your gut feel aim is off.

The way to go is to learn to shoot straight in shots at all distances. If you consistently make it, then there is a high chance that your aiming is spot on.

If you are using fractional aiming and if you aimed 1/4 ball or 5/8 ball, at least you are now sure that your cue is ALWAYS pointing at the right spot.

Gut feel was how I used to play. However, it is difficult to make the next level of progression, esp without assistance from a coach or a helping eye from a fellow friend.

Just my thought.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Have you heard of players that say they prefer a long thick cut than a long straight in shot? These are players who play with gut feelings.

When you play a long distance thick cut, three things are going for you:

1. The tolerance error has increased. You have more room for error and the object ball will still make it.

2. Two wrongs can make a right. If you aimed too thin, and if your cue error compensated for it, you will still make the pot due to s/no 1 above, or

3. Your gut feel aim is correct and you cue perfectly.

However, for a long straight in shot, the error is obvious if you don't make the pot. It could be:

1. The tolerance error is a lot less than a thick cut.

2. A right and a wrong is still a wrong. If you think your gut feel aiming is spot on, then wrong cuing action would not compensate for it or

3. Your gut feel aim is off.

The way to go is to learn to shoot straight in shots at all distances. If you consistently make it, then there is a high chance that your aiming is spot on.

If you are using fractional aiming and if you aimed 1/4 ball or 5/8 ball, at least you are now sure that your cue is ALWAYS pointing at the right spot.

Gut feel was how I used to play. However, it is difficult to make the next level of progression, esp without assistance from a coach or a helping eye from a fellow friend.

Just my thought.

It's a mental thing. Long straight shots carry more mental pressure, because there is a subconscious sense that these shots should never be missed.

Harder shots don't carry as much fear of failure, so people can shoot them more relaxed -- and if they miss the shot, oh well, it was a tough shot -- anyone could have missed it.

_______

precisepotting

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a mental thing. Long straight shots carry more mental pressure, because there is a subconscious sense that these shots should never be missed.

Harder shots don't carry as much fear of failure, so people can shoot them more relaxed -- and if they miss the shot, oh well, it was a tough shot -- anyone could have missed it.

_______

That could be part of the reason. However, if you are able to point and aim spot on center to center, and if you cue straight and center ball, then you should make the pocket every single time.

Two factors in play here (or three if you add mental into the equation):

1. Aiming - Is the center to center and center to pocket a straight line and with the cue absolutely parallel and in that line? This is what this thread is trying to find out.
2. Cuing action - Do you strike the cueball centre ball (or centre line) and with your follow through being straight through with no slight deflection?

Both factors must be perfect for a straight in shot (with this configuration).

Of course, you can also pot a straight in ball with sidespin with the bridge at a certain length. That is another story for another thread.

precisepotting

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cannot speak for the pros but consider what it takes to be a pro in any of life's endeavors, and why they are pros and we are not...theysee something you or I don't. I assume nothing other than whatever system they arrived at, it is their own. By that I mean I infer you're posting this question on the assumption that there is some template that can be applied by many of us, and there is not. There's a Shane VanB video on youtube where he is asked about an "aiming system" to which he replies yes. But if you watch and listen carefully, he really relies on practice, muscle memory, and trial and error,,,at which point he DID arrive at a kind of a system. However I think I'm pulling this topic away from the original question.

Pool is not like aiming an arrow of gun as you assume. Even though you are running your eyes down a straight shaft, the contact point is different from the point of aim. The point of aim can be measured, the contact point is approximated.

Imagine if you do the test, and you realize that you really don't know how to aim with the shaft. Sometimes you are off a little to the right and sometimes left.

Yes, contact point to contact is not easy to judge whether you have an aiming system or by gut feeling through years of constant playing. Even gut feeling, you do have an idea where you want to aim at. Now, if you are off by a bit, then you are not pointing at where your gut is telling you to shoot (assuming your gut is spot on). If you potted that ball, then it is pure luck. Although you aimed wrongly, you still potted giving you the impression everything is good when in fact, two or more wrongs contribute to making that pocket.

Basic rule in shooting. You must first be able to aimed at the bull-eyes. Everything else comes next.

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't get it? Why is there a commercial here? I am simply trying to find out who actually tested their cue aiming in that manner. If you are not pointing at the correct spot, no matter what you do with the rest, they are irrelevant. You will never be an accurate potter, period.

No, I am not promoting anything. I am sure there are many methods to do that aiming. I will share my method later. No worries, mine is free.

I suppose everytime a player sends the CB to a desired location (using no side spin) to contact an object ball precisely where the player intends, either to pocket the ball or simply move it to a different location, that player is testing his/her cue aiming accuracy. This would apply for ghost ball aiming, fractional ball aiming, contact point to contact point, shooting balls with intuition/feel, etc...basically any method where a predetermined aim line is used to focus on a distant target or pinpointed location. The stroke of the cue stick must be dead on with the aim line toward the target. If not, the shot wouldn't be successful. That's a good test.

It seems to me that if the target is the CB (like center CB) instead of a spot in the distance, you are not focusing on a predetermined aim line. You are focusing on center CB, and the CB will be sent in whatever direction the stroke happens to be aligned/headed, which won't really be known until the CB is well on its way. So maybe that method wouldn't be a very good test for determining a player's aiming accuracy.

precisepotting

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suppose everytime a player sends the CB to a desired location (using no side spin) to contact an object ball precisely where the player intends, either to pocket the ball or simply move it to a different location, that player is testing his/her cue aiming accuracy. This would apply for ghost ball aiming, fractional ball aiming, contact point to contact point, shooting balls with intuition/feel, etc...basically any method where a predetermined aim line is used to focus on a distant target or pinpointed location. The stroke of the cue stick must be dead on with the aim line toward the target. If not, the shot wouldn't be successful. That's a good test.

It seems to me that if the target is the CB (like center CB) instead of a spot in the distance, you are not focusing on a predetermined aim line. You are focusing on center CB, and the CB will be sent in whatever direction the stroke happens to be aligned/headed, which won't really be known until the CB is well on its way. So maybe that method wouldn't be a very good test for determining a player's aiming accuracy.
It is only a good test if your stroke is perfect. How many of us can pot 10 balls out of 10 balls where the ob is in the centre of the table, cb half a cue away and pot corner pocket. Yes straight ball and should make it 10 out of 10. Amateurs will be considered good if they make 5. So your test won't work. Does it mean that they aimed wrongly since they don't pot. We can also say that even if they pot, does it mean that they aimed correctly?

precisepotting

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^^^^ What he said. I hit a few balls & I know pretty quick if my cue is pointed right!

So all newbies who held the cue for the first few times, will know pretty quickly if their cue is pointed right after hitting a few balls. I see.

Most of the comments that disagree with the need to test and learn this particular skill seems to be from the advance to pro players. However, I do believe this forum are meant for all levels of players hence the poll.

The better players tend to disagree that there is a need as they are already potting balls with regular consistencies and some, even occasionally winning tournaments.

The weaker players tend to agree. They do not know why they are not making some easy balls, and they would like to find out all possible reasons that might be a factor.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In so many threads, there are so many players who wonder why they are not making the pocket or whether their alignment is off or whether their aiming system is unsuitable for them, or problems with their cueing action, or their basic stance, etc etc.

I believe in any sports that requires pointing with an instrument, ie. a rifle, it is imperative that a person wielding the instrument must be able to point directly at the target at all times to ensure a chance of a bullseye.

In a rifle, there are three points that the eye makes use to aim. The rear side aperture (the one with the circle), the foresight tip and the target. If they are all in a line, then the rifle will always be pointing at the same spot.

Now imagine a rifle without the rear side aperture and the foresight tip, how then can you aim (as in using the cue). In the scenario of the rifle, the difficulty level is higher as the target is in a three dimensional space. For pool, it is two dimensional.

As there is no rear sight aperture and foresight tip to help us with our aiming, the aiming for many of us is by pure gut feeling - maybe muscle memory for the pro. If you are always off in your basic aiming (sometimes a little to the left and sometimes a little to the right), then you will always question yourself on whether it is the cuing action, aiming, aiming system, basic stance, etc that is making you inconsistent in your shooting assuming you neglect this fundamental aspect of a shooting instrument.

My question to all pool players here amateur and experts: [B]Have you ever tested to see that you are able to point your cue tip in the center of the cue ball to a target line (vertical line) in the distance, and ensure that your aim is spot on?[/B]

I am not sure if there are any tools or instrument aide that can help you to test this. I have devised a home made DIY which you can test at home. I am sure some of you have your own if not a better method.

There is a rear site to allow for the lining up of a straight shot.

The front sight is the "V" on your bridge hand. The rear site is either the "V" formed by your grip hand or any other point on your grip hand (ie. thumb, index finger knuckle). (your brain will figure out if the front and rear sights are aligned just takes some practice to get it all wired into the brain)

In fact now that I think about it. Standing behind the cue ball and lining up a cut shot on the object ball I line up my rear sight (a point on my grip hand first, for me the rear sight is the first knuckle from the hand knuckle on my index finger) Then bending over into the shot I place the "V" on my bridge hand in line with the rear sight on the shot line. Been doing this for a few decades.

Have fun out there. :)
John

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is only a good test if your stroke is perfect. How many of us can pot 10 balls out of 10 balls where the ob is in the centre of the table, cb half a cue away and pot corner pocket. Yes straight ball and should make it 10 out of 10. Amateurs will be considered good if they make 5. So your test won't work. Does it mean that they aimed wrongly since they don't pot. We can also say that even if they pot, does it mean that they aimed correctly?

Maybe I'm not understanding the point of this thread. If a player has a poor stroke (possibly due to an unstable bridge hand or improper grip hand), they could have excellent visual aiming skills but lack the basic fundamentals needed to consistently get their cue in line for the shot. Is it the visual skill of aiming that you are asking about as far as testing? If a player has a good stroke, and good body alignment, they will immediately know whether or not their visual aim is accurate when they shoot a shot and miss it. If a player has a bad stroke they really won't know if they're missing balls due to their bad stroke, poor alignment, or faulty visual aim.

A good stroke is only part of the aiming process. Then there's alignment, positioning your body in a way that allows the stroke to lock onto a specific visual aim line or distant target point. These two parts act as one machine. And we have visualization, what your eyes are feeding the brain. The brain then directs the machine to perform the task, preferably through subconscious thought. All of these parts are needed in order to aim with accuracy and consistency.

I like what One Pocket John said about front and rear aiming sights. That's a great way to look at it, get the two sights tracking together toward a designated target. As long as your body is aligned properly, and your stroke is sighted properly, you should immediately know if you're aiming accurately as soon as you strike the CB.

Is this "test" for aiming supposed to pinpoint a flaw in any specific part of the aiming process? Or does the test only pertain to the visual aspect? That would be a great test...a test that would definitively show where any fault occurs.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is one way. Of course there are other cheaper methods. I have devised one. But that is not the topic of this thread. The question is, have you ever check whether your cue is pointing dead center on where you aim, despite not having the aiming sights of a rifle to assist you.

Thanks for the link bbb.

Ah, so are all the people that signed up for your "free" aiming manual going to receive emails to purchase your laser cue?