Poll: Who have tested that their cue is pointing at the right place.

Have you tested - your cue tip, center of CB & a target in a distance is in spot on?

• No - No intention to

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • No - Intended to

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters

precisepotting

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I meant is to pay as parallel as possible by hitting the top of the cue ball. However, due to the uncomfortable position (in the case of the rail) of the bridge, I am unable to aim properly. I do not believe my aim is consistent.

As for the case when I have to bridge over another ball to play, the line of aim is even more difficult to see since the cue is jack up. I usually don't make these balls even if it is an "easy" straight ball to the pocket. I believe my cue is just not aiming where my eyes are aiming. They are not in sync due to the bridge being to close to the ball in the former case and the jacking up of cue in the latter case.

I think testing of these two types of aiming will proof that most of us are not aiming at where we think we are aiming. Is there anyway to test it? I think my earlier DIY method might be able to test our aiming from the rail but not for that over a ball.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi BC21,

Just watched your youtube. I have these to comments:

1. You need perfect stroke to execute this. So, only very few can execute this stroke.
2. In the video, if you examine your stroke closely, you will see that you veered very slightly to your left after the follow through.

Was there any unintended English applied. I believe so. The evidence is that the cue ball is not in line after it hits the rail between the two balls. If the rails are in perfect condition, the line up and down the table is truly perpendicular to the rails, and if the cue ball is struck perfectly with absolutely zero sidespin, then the cue ball should still be in line after the second rail hit.

Am I right?

I felt this test has too many unknown factors especially for the average players like myself.

Thanks to the Coach's Eye app, I can definitely answer the question of whether or not I applied unintentional left english. According to this stroke analysis clip, the answer is no. I boxed my stroke in and the cue stays center box throughout the final few practice strokes and through the CB. Afterwards, once the CB is well on its way (about half way down the table), I must drop my grip a bit because the cue shaft moves left as shown in the original clip. I stop the stroke analysis after the CB leaves the cue tip because nothing after that would affect the shot.

Here is My Stroke Analysis.

Here is the original clip.

If I were to ever invest the time and effort to become a certified instructor, these analysis apps or the Stroke Analyzer software would surely be a great tool for helping players understand their strokes and any discrepancies that jump out. Good fun stuff!

Brian Crist

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow, 50% between those two balls? Very impressive. I would be lucky if I get 10%.

I only did 8 out of 20. I think it's a good exercise to ensure you're hitting the vertical line of the cue ball AND the targeted aim point in the distance. So at full table (still no contact lenses) I am only at about 40% accuracy for this particular shot.

precisepotting

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only did 8 out of 20. I think it's a good exercise to ensure you're hitting the vertical line of the cue ball AND the targeted aim point in the distance. So at full table (still no contact lenses) I am only at about 40% accuracy for this particular shot.

How about trying the same with shooting over a ball. After shooting over a ball, moves the obstacle ball away and see if the cue ball goes between the two marker balls.

I am sure you percentage will go even lower. The reason are several and one of them is that it isn't easy to get your cue to aim at center of cue ball and at the target with an elevated cue. It would be good to learn to aim accurately with an elevated cue, right?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
How about trying the same with shooting over a ball. After shooting over a ball, moves the obstacle ball away and see if the cue ball goes between the two marker balls.

I am sure you percentage will go even lower. The reason are several and one of them is that it isn't easy to get your cue to aim at center of cue ball and at the target with an elevated cue. It would be good to learn to aim accurately with an elevated cue, right?

Going off of Dan White's stroke comments, thinking maybe the stroke is the absolute key factor in aiming, I evaluated each of my good and bad attempts in my 8 of 20 video footage (banking CB full table to hit between 2 balls on the end rail) using the Coach's Eye app. What I found backed up Dan's logic. Every successful attempt showed a perfectly true stroke hitting the CB. Every missed attempt showed an obvious left or right last-second stroke error, causing the tip to contact the CB a micron left or right of vertical center.

This gave me a great idea that should help resolve any wobbly stroke issues. I'll share it later when I have more time.