Pool tournament question

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
Would you guys consider an 8, 9 or 10 ball tourney at a pool hall that has no smoking or drinking. Looking into seeing if there is any interest in it so we can pursue this or just drop it. There are 11 valley bar tables and they are extremely well taken care of. There will be 1500 added with at least 32 players, or if there is 64 or more there would be 2500 added, and also a Calcutta.

The pool hall is located in Muskogee Okla

Most pool halls that have these types of tournaments have smoking and drinking and I don’t know if the pool players would be interested in a tournament in a place like this or not.

65.00 entry includes green fee

8 ball, race to 7
9-10 ball race to 9
Double elim

What are your thoughts or opinions on this….

Last edited:

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
We have those types of tournaments all the time. Sounds great.

Don't listen to Andrew, bring on the coin-ops.....SPF=randyg

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
We have those types of tournaments all the time. Sounds great.

Don't listen to Andrew, bring on the coin-ops.....SPF=randyg

The tournaments will have at least that much added....I have a couple of people that may add 2500.00 more to bring the total to 5000.00 added with 64 people

We are just seeing if this will be a problem with it being a non smoking/drinking environment. If the majority says it wont be a problem, looking at this tourney happening mid march given nothing else major is going on around here.

somms69

escape artist
Silver Member
For weekly action the non-smoking and drinking rules in place might deter players from frequently your room. Add the kind of money that your speaking of and advertise well and being able to smoke and drink goes out the window, its all about the cash. Those who smoke will go outside between sets and those who can't go without a drink will bring their own and do it undercover, I've seen it. Good luck and let us know if and when this happens, on bar boxes I'll bring the Enid crew.

Todd

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
For weekly action the non-smoking and drinking rules in place might deter players from frequently your room. Add the kind of money that your speaking of and advertise well and being able to smoke and drink goes out the window, its all about the cash. Those who smoke will go outside between sets and those who can't go without a drink will bring their own and do it undercover, I've seen it. Good luck and let us know if and when this happens, on bar boxes I'll bring the Enid crew.

Todd

Hi Todd...thanks for the input

Nothing is set in stone yet. We are just seeing if this is something that we could do. I feel that with the cash added, I dont think the no smoking or drinking would be an issue. I personally feel that this would be something doable though...hope it goes over. Would be nice to get some great players from all over to attend this event.

Did you ever get that cue?

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
IMHO, with the right promotion and a good TD, you can pull off anything......just make sure the players know up front, no smoking or alcohol provided....

Something to figure out ahead of time - you might look to see if you can set up a smoking area outside somewhere, preferably not right in front of the door.....second, make sure customers can get a reasonably priced coke or sprite they can use to "add' to :grin:

If the owner doesn't plan to offer drinks, how is he gonna add that much money? I think this might put some doubt in players minds that the added cash is actually going to be there....most tourney players spend limited dollars anyway, and without alcohol, I hope he can still make money....

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
IMHO, with the right promotion and a good TD, you can pull off anything......just make sure the players know up front, no smoking or alcohol provided....

Something to figure out ahead of time - you might look to see if you can set up a smoking area outside somewhere, preferably not right in front of the door.....second, make sure customers can get a reasonably priced coke or sprite they can use to "add' to :grin:

If the owner doesn't plan to offer drinks, how is he gonna add that much money? I think this might put some doubt in players minds that the added cash is actually going to be there....most tourney players spend limited dollars anyway, and without alcohol, I hope he can still make money....

Just tyring to see if this is something that can happen. The money added will not be just fron the owner, It will come from multiple sources. Before the tournament is announced, we will have the money so there is no doubt on how much will be added...if money is added after the tournament announcement, then that will just be icing on the cake. As far as offering sprite or coke to spruce up a drink, I can assure you if the person is caught, they will be asked to leave. So the players would need to know up front that there is no smoking inside, and no drinking on premises...if they go to thier car and have to hit the bottle, that is on them.

Again, this is just something in the works, nothing definite yet. Just trying to get a feel if its something we should do or not.

And as far as tournament directors, I was going to see if Evelyn and Danny Dysart would run the tournament...

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Tournament

I don't drink, so that is not a problem, but I do smoke, and I will not go on a regular basis to a pool room that is non smoking. BUT, for a tournament with that kind of cash in it, I would make an exception, but for the tournament ONLY.

I also don't know how the owner would break even or more without drinks being served. Would food be served? Soft drinks?

For many players, smoking is a 'stress reliever', so having to wait to smoke just between sets just doesn't set well with them.

If the Pool room has adequate ventillation, I don't see the problem of having a 'smoking' tournaments, most tournaments, in the midwest anyway, are smoking tournaments, and drinking tournaments too.

billiardchick7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would you guys consider an 8, 9 or 10 ball tourney at a pool hall that has no smoking or drinking. Looking into seeing if there is any interest in it so we can pursue this or just drop it. There are 11 valley bar tables and they are extremely well taken care of. There will be 1500 added with at least 32 players, or if there is 64 or more there would be 2500 added, and also a Calcutta.

The pool hall is located in Muskogee Okla

Most pool halls that have these types of tournaments have smoking and drinking and I don’t know if the pool players would be interested in a tournament in a place like this or not.

65.00 entry includes green fee

8 ball, race to 7
9-10 ball race to 9
Double elim

What are your thoughts or opinions on this….
I will drive further out of my way for a pool tournament that is held in a nonsmoking room. Smoke really bothers me after a long weekend and I start to get sick, so if I see a tournament and they advertise as nonsmoking I will go out of my way to make it there! No drinking is not that big of a deal either...that part doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
I don't drink, so that is not a problem, but I do smoke, and I will not go on a regular basis to a pool room that is non smoking. BUT, for a tournament with that kind of cash in it, I would make an exception, but for the tournament ONLY.

I also don't know how the owner would break even or more without drinks being served. Would food be served? Soft drinks?

For many players, smoking is a 'stress reliever', so having to wait to smoke just between sets just doesn't set well with them.

If the Pool room has adequate ventillation, I don't see the problem of having a 'smoking' tournaments, most tournaments, in the midwest anyway, are smoking tournaments, and drinking tournaments too.

Again, just trying to see if this is something we can do. The owners will not allow smoking in the building, there is a smoking area outside with tables. The owner smokes and that is where he goes.

They do have a nice selection of food and soft drinks. the food is very good and I have even though if we have the tournament, I have a huge smoker on a trailer that I can cook burgers on, and throw on a cpl of brisquets. Also, I shot a pig with my bow so I could even throw on a pig and smoke it. So the food and soft drinks are not a problem...

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
I will drive further out of my way for a pool tournament that is held in a nonsmoking room. Smoke really bothers me after a long weekend and I start to get sick, so if I see a tournament and they advertise as nonsmoking I will go out of my way to make it there! No drinking is not that big of a deal either...that part doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

I agree billiardchick, when i go to a tournament where there is smoking, my head is stopped up for a cpl days after and i feel like hammered hell....so I was thinking about this to see if it was something that we could do..

The money isnt the problem...its having enough players to warrant this type of payout....

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
I like the no smoking, no drinking, but the bar boxes...I'd have to pass.

The owner wants to have them on bar tables 1st and then 6 months later have them on big tables.....so anything is possible......If we get more people wanting big tables, we will have it on big tables...nothing is set in stone just yet....just trying to get a feel for what would work best

Mr.Bumps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think if danny and evelyn run it, the money will not be a problem. i smoke when i play but will do without for an hour match. will the place handle a big tourny (parking/sitting room between matches). if midwest tour puts it on schedule and its not the weekend of missouri state tourny, then im there

mandalamps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I can say is.......

BRING IT ON!!!!

I am totally IN FAVOR OF a Non-smoking, Non-drinking, Bar Table Tournament!!!!!! I can't stand coming out of a pool room smelling like smoke! UGG, it's so gross! lol....

Great idea! I hope you can get it done!

Peace,
Amanda

mm4pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, that would be nice to be able to come home without the stench of smoke all over me. sure wish my league could go smokeless, but we would lose over half the players, lol. although a nice cold "adult" beverage while i play is nice too.

Mike

mandalamps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tsk tsk

Man, that would be nice to be able to come home without the stench of smoke all over me. sure wish my league could go smokeless, but we would lose over half the players, lol. although a nice cold "adult" beverage while i play is nice too.

Mike

That is a shame isn't it (the league statement)? Luckily, the pool room down the street from my house is non-smoking now, so actually going to practice isn't such a bad idea anymore! lol... :)

Peace,
Amanda

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
i think if danny and evelyn run it, the money will not be a problem. i smoke when i play but will do without for an hour match. will the place handle a big tourny (parking/sitting room between matches). if midwest tour puts it on schedule and its not the weekend of missouri state tourny, then im there

There are 11 Valley tables. 9 GCII ....trust me, there is plenty of room...there is more room in this pool hall than there is in Magoos in Tulsa..only drawback is there is no smoking or drinking...I dont smoke or drink so its good for me..I am just wanting to see if this will be something we can do or not