Problems playing certain people

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
Anyone else have a real issue playing certain people? Like for some reason the player is the same speed as you but they always win or you can always beat certain people above you and always lose to certain people below you? I’ve noticed there are a few types of players that my game sucks against.

But then in turn there is one 680 that I literally know what he will do next because he’s better than me but we play the same way. I stated this a few times about 4 mos ago when I was thinking about playing a big match against him. People asked why and I said we play the same way. It’s funny too because the 650 I lose to most of the time(more than I lose to most 650’s) also beats the 680 I’m referencing more than he loses to him. Somebody mentioned it once. That that 680 almost never beats that 650. Is that weird and I’m just over analyzing? Or is it a real thing. Because sure seems true to me.

Last edited:

Flakeandrun

There is an older guy I play (less and less regularly thanks to a conscious choice to prioritize sanity)

Poor breaker, who will only play Chinese/American mix 8-ball and relies on knotting up balls, plays pathetic nudges and nurdles, all while turning down valid shots. Plays slower than death and drags you down to his level. Also he's an absolute shark, who plays the language barrier card to a ridiculous extent (making up whatever rules he wants that only apply when he sees fit). Very loud, obnoxious small man syndrome type. I absolutely batter some of the people who regularly beat him. But he has a better record against me than I would like.

You have to watch him like a hawk, as he will not admit fouls. Ever. Period. - I matched up in a scotch doubles match with an American friend, and we played against him and another guy I play with often. He potted the black, while contacting the 14 with his cue, and when I called him on it, he blew up. I told him if he wanted the win he could take it, but we all saw him touch it. His OTT reaction was funny as hell. I love when tiny people try to be intimidating. Anyway, his team mate quit on him. Brought me smug satisfaction to see the little monster feeling awkward lol

I do beat him quite often, and luckily so far when it has counted. But he certainly knows how to rub me up the wrong way, and takes great pleasure in doing so. When he's up in a set, you'd think he was 100 racks to zero the way he carries himself. When he loses, he's a personally aggressive and vindictive tit. I know I can have the odd temperament issue, but cursing myself and a table tap, isn't the same as telling your opponent to go fuck their mother lol

I would never purposefully match up with him for any amount of money.

On a less sour note... There is a friend of mine who absolutely has my number. I'd say I'm sitting above him in terms of regular standard and opponents defeated, but when we play together, It's a real workout for me and I always trip myself up somewhere. All that said, he's been playing 15 years longer than me.

Both situations make me feel differing versions of psychological discomfort. Like a consignment to a bad time, or a loss.

Last edited:

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
See in tournament play against the 650 I was talking about I am literally 4-28(fargorate). I don’t do that bad angainst him in action. But Against all other 650+s in tournament play I just went 2-3 against a 650 the other day. Shouldve won. I was up 2-0 and just missed a few stupid ones. I took a combo too lightly and nipped it. The rest were all sitting in the pockets. Bad mistake. Then he just won the next 2. Let’s just say all the other 650+s I have played match wise I am like 2 wins and 6 losses. From memory I’m 1-1 against a 680. And that 1 win was 3w-1L. 1-2 against a 665 0-1 against a 720. And 0-1 against a 777 It’s just that 1 650 that gets me every time I play him in the tournament. I’m like 0-7 against him! Even on the winners side when he gives me like 2-3 games. It’s bad! My math is bad 2-7 against 650+s but some were straight non handicapped races which I should lose.

Flakeandrun

See in tournament play against the 650 I was talking about I am literally 4-28(fargorate). I don’t do that bad angainst him in action. But Against all other 650+s in tournament play I just went 2-3 against a 650 the other day. Shouldve won. I was up 2-0 and just missed a few stupid ones. I took a combo too lightly and nipped it. The rest were all sitting in the pockets. Bad mistake. Then he just won the next 2. Let’s just say all the other 650+s I have played match wise I am like 2 wins and 6 losses. From memory I’m 1-1 against a 680. And that 1 win was 3w-1L. 1-2 against a 665 0-1 against a 720. And 0-1 against a 777 It’s just that 1 650 that gets me every time I play him in the tournament. I’m like 0-7 against him! Even on the winners side when he gives me like 2-3 games. It’s bad!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I'm in this 640-50 category because of my past.
If were to guess, my true ability now would be a 610
Quit playing pretty much for 20 years, but my board play is waaaaaaaaaaay better than all the 650 players because of my past.
I'm guessing your talking 8 ball?
Be like walking into Red Shoes (Chicago One Pocket Room) and watching the one pocket players do their thing.
What does that mean?
There are men in there that are probably around a 500 Fargo and have no chance at beating you in ANY game/Cept 1 pocket.
It's because they KNOW the right shot to shoot and the WRONG shot to try.
Table management is key.
I've beaten many a player that pockets balls better than me in the past few yrs, only because of that.
In one event winners side final four going to 6, I was down 5-0 and won, the next match down 5-3 and won.
It's because I know my limits and prefer to ''lock em up''.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is an older guy I play (less and less regularly thanks to a conscious choice to prioritize sanity)

Poor breaker, who will only play Chinese/American mix 8-ball and relies on knotting up balls, plays pathetic nudges and nurdles, all while turning down valid shots. Plays slower than death and drags you down to his level. Also he's an absolute shark, who plays the language barrier card to a ridiculous extent (making up whatever rules he wants that only apply when he sees fit). Very loud, obnoxious small man syndrome type. I absolutely batter some of the people who regularly beat him. But he has a better record against me than I would like.

Good grief, I know this guy!

Except my guy prefers nine ball. Nothing but safes. He once told me that if he makes a ball other than the nine ball it was likely in error…

And the snarky little sharky comments never stop.

I seem to always draw the bastard in tournaments. Last time was 8 ball (unusual for him) short races. Five on each side. Our match took one hour and 52 minutes and I won 5/2. I'm not a slow player, but I was only able to break and run once and he just tied everything up every other time when he got to the table… almost 2 hours for seven freaking games of eight ball. 😑

I've never lost to him, which seems to slow him down even more. I would rather have a tooth drilled than play him in pool...

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone else have a real issue playing certain people? Like for some reason the player is the same speed as you but they always win or you can always beat certain people above you and always lose to certain people below you? I’ve noticed there are a few types of players that my game sucks against.

But then in turn there is one 680 that I literally know what he will do next because he’s better than me but we play the same way. I stated this a few times about 4 mos ago when I was thinking about playing a big match against him. People asked why and I said we play the same way. It’s funny too because the 650 I lose to most of the time(more than I lose to most 650’s) also beats the 680 I’m referencing more than he loses to him. Somebody mentioned it once. That that 680 almost never beats that 650. Is that weird and I’m just over analyzing? Or is it a real thing. Because sure seems true to me.
Sounds like you're playing the player instead of playing the table. I see this scenario quite often with a few people on my team, one you can get the opponent's game out of your mind, you'll play better.

I regularly have to remind one of my teammates to play safe instead of going for the ultra aggressive low percentage shot. He gets so focused on the run out that he tries to force it, which rarely works in his favor.

Zerksies

I don't think you are better then the other player and probably the ratings are mixed up as well. Your talking 30 points, It's not much of a diffrence in handicap.

You also have to remember that tournament play versus cash play is a diffirent mentality. I can beat you up all night and loose a few sets and adjust the handicap with a cash game. In tournament format it's usually two and out and depending on who you are playing they become stronger or weaker on the losers bracket.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
I don't think you are better then the other player and probably the ratings are mixed up as well. Your talking 30 points, It's not much of a diffrence in handicap.

You also have to remember that tournament play versus cash play is a diffirent mentality. I can beat you up all night and loose a few sets and adjust the handicap with a cash game. In tournament format it's usually two and out and depending on who you are playing they become stronger or weaker on the losers bracket.
Well the thing is that 680 is definitely a 680 with 5000 games in and that 650 is definitely a 650 with 5000 games in and the 650 has a problem beating one of the really robust 630’s. All three of their games are a little different. Are you saying you can’t tell the difference between games at that level? I can tell the difference based on their pattern play and the shots they refuse/accept. Their safety plays are all different too. Those three players I could tell you all the differences in their games. There’s a bunch of them.

What I’m saying about myself is other than that 650 who is a really good shot maker, I have trouble beating players that I call the kamikazees. You never know what they are gonna do. It really throws off my game. It’s really hard to tell their weaknesses. I’m the guy that plays off peoples weaknesses in their games. I need the extra advantage cause I’m not that good.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I have a guy like that... he might float around a ~600. He has a horrific stroke and likes to take flyers at questionable shots all the time. The easy way to categorize his game is to call it "lucky". However he reality is that he simply gains benefit from his style of play.

I don't fall victim to his antics often but he's definitely one of those guys that gets wins when he never should.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
your too emotionally involved
just play the table
Yeah. When I play that 650 in the tournament I always want to roast his ass. As you can see by the stats for some reason, I always get stuck playing him. When we play for money it’s always like 7-5 or around that on avg. And yes we’ve played enough. I know when he’s trying.

Too worried about that Fargorate man. I lost a race to a 500 1-4 on Friday in the tournament then gave him two games to seven after for the cash and won. Had to give him 9 to 6 after that, but we didn’t get to finish.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Yeah. When I play that 650 in the tournament I always want to roast his ass. As you can see by the stats for some reason, I always get stuck playing him. When we play for money it’s always like 7-5 or around that on avg. And yes we’ve played enough. I know when he’s trying.

Too worried about that Fargorate man. I lost a race to a 500 1-4 on Friday in the tournament then gave him two games to seven after for the cash and won. Had to give him 9 to 6 after that, but we didn’t get to finish.
I lost 1-2 to a 400 because basically you can’t let anyone shoot on a bar table
So I lost the first grinder back got bih with two balls and the 8 hanging and get tricky on a shot I miss often and he sharks me
Accidentally not knowing he did but I had to stop tell her about it , attempt to regroup Walk around the table and miss the shot

When I was a lock for getting into some money

You just can’t let anyone shoot on small tables

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
I lost 1-2 to a 400 because basically you can’t let anyone shoot on a bar table
So I lost the first grinder back got bih with two balls and the 8 hanging and get tricky on a shot I miss often and he sharks me
Accidentally not knowing he did but I had to stop tell her about it , attempt to regroup Walk around the table and miss the shot

When I was a lock for getting into some money

You just can’t let anyone shoot on small tables
Exactly. Those are the ones that can make you question your life sometimes. Not your life but life choices👍. Or if you should even play anymore.

I unintentionally missed 2 easy ones against a girl I played Friday. It was impressive how good she had gotten since last time I saw her play. In turn it was like I wanted her to beat me. Plus her name is Barbie and mine is Ken. Which is kind of funny in itself. She almost won because of those misses. Still pulled it out 3-2 and roasted a 580 3-0 after.

SSP

In my mind I never lose to anyone, I either beat myself by failing to play a great safe or miss a runout ect. or I am successful and I win, there is a small percentage of luck when breaking in this game but if I get to shoot then I have the opportunity to control my fate at the table, if I am unsuccessful my opponent had no bearing on that, I am to blame, I get it, I don't like slow play and a few other pet peeves but like anything else in this game it's up to me to over come them, so I never lose, I only beat myself and learn from the experience.

snookered_again

I thought people played 8 and 9 ball so they didn't need to learn to do addition.. ;-)

I got beat by a couple of women last friday, I might have even secretly enjoyed it.. ;-) I liked that it made them smile.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I have trouble beating players that I call the kamikazees. You never know what they are gonna do. It really throws off my game. It’s really hard to tell their weaknesses. I’m the guy that plays off peoples weaknesses in their games. I need the extra advantage cause I’m not that good.
I'm not that good either but I take great joy into banking, then caroming 3 shots in a row and make it appear to be sloppy luck. Sometimes I just get on a roll and shoot my gut feeling no matter how stupid it is percentage wise. It's the most wild thing but the difference is I'm not concerned about percentages and just get in the zone and on a roll. I start seeing shots.

Sometimes when you don't play by the book, like caroming, doing a 2 way shot, 2 ways appearing to hit harder than needed (but it's all about where you're putting the CB in a safe spot), 2 ways giving a cross bank off another ball a chance, running into a ball solidly to stop the CB, pushing extra balls around a bit (with control) and such shenanigans, really burns the ass of a certain type of good player. Some make such faces you can tell they are absolutely disgusted their opponent isn't playing by the book and still getting out. Some will start to consider luck.

I don't like to give too much info to my opponent and will often try to keep a poker face. I've seen someone miss an easy shot because I overran a safety and didn't react like it was a mistake. They later said they got distracted and were trying to figure out if I was setting up a trap or something because it looked like I meant to do it. :) The easiest way to do this is stay down on the ball and watch it stop and get up without making some kind of tell. Let them play through the scenarios in their own head, that's less concentration on the game at hand.

Some thrive on opponents displaying weakness, some thrive on seeing cockiness (I'll get that guy), or a skilled opponent, letting them be an underdog in their own mind. Give them nothing and let their imaginations run wild. Cognitive dissonance can be a powerful distraction if you don't confirm or deny their suspicions either way.

Don't let anyone tell you that this stuff doesn't go on all the time in pool. I'm not talking sharking or poor sportsmanship either, we see those clowns nightly, but there is a certain level of gamesmanship that goes on even in unspoken moments. Some times those guys you can't seem to beat or play your best against just don't give enough tells (or only give them when appropriate for bait ;)) and it's enough to put you on tilt. I know it's happened to me and I've seen it happen to my opponent.

So I mean, if you're having problems with certain people, maybe do a little people watching while they play someone else and see if you can pick up on anything. Someone has to win and someone has to lose, at least if you figure out how to be nonplussed by that particular opponent the odds are better.

Lou196755

I'm not that good either but I take great joy into banking, then caroming 3 shots in a row and make it appear to be sloppy luck. Sometimes I just get on a roll and shoot my gut feeling no matter how stupid it is percentage wise. It's the most wild thing but the difference is I'm not concerned about percentages and just get in the zone and on a roll. I start seeing shots.

Sometimes when you don't play by the book, like caroming, doing a 2 way shot, 2 ways appearing to hit harder than needed (but it's all about where you're putting the CB in a safe spot), 2 ways giving a cross bank off another ball a chance, running into a ball solidly to stop the CB, pushing extra balls around a bit (with control) and such shenanigans, really burns the ass of a certain type of good player. Some make such faces you can tell they are absolutely disgusted their opponent isn't playing by the book and still getting out. Some will start to consider luck.

I don't like to give too much info to my opponent and will often try to keep a poker face. I've seen someone miss an easy shot because I overran a safety and didn't react like it was a mistake. They later said they got distracted and were trying to figure out if I was setting up a trap or something because it looked like I meant to do it. :) The easiest way to do this is stay down on the ball and watch it stop and get up without making some kind of tell. Let them play through the scenarios in their own head, that's less concentration on the game at hand.

Some thrive on opponents displaying weakness, some thrive on seeing cockiness (I'll get that guy), or a skilled opponent, letting them be an underdog in their own mind. Give them nothing and let their imaginations run wild. Cognitive dissonance can be a powerful distraction if you don't confirm or deny their suspicions either way.

Don't let anyone tell you that this stuff doesn't go on all the time in pool. I'm not talking sharking or poor sportsmanship either, we see those clowns nightly, but there is a certain level of gamesmanship that goes on even in unspoken moments. Some times those guys you can't seem to beat or play your best against just don't give enough tells (or only give them when appropriate for bait ;)) and it's enough to put you on tilt. I know it's happened to me and I've seen it happen to my opponent.

So I mean, if you're having problems with certain people, maybe do a little people watching while they play someone else and see if you can pick up on anything. Someone has to win and someone has to lose, at least if you figure out how to be nonplussed by that particular opponent the odds are better.
Reading through, I find I think along the same lines as boogieman. My biggest issue is the way some players will really melt down if they are 3 fouled out of a game. I have been cussed out, called a weak/scared player, and other sweet nothings over this, especially in the weekly low entry fee tournaments I normally play in.

I have an issue with their anger in that #1, the rule a part of the game in my mind, #2 Why are you blaming me that you can't get out of a safety shot time after time?, and #3 is when a 2 way shot or straight safety shot is played in a game like 1pkt, you get told that it was a nice shot that you could tie up the cue ball that well.

I am not changing my strategy of going for the 3 fouls if it means I win, but I don't go into a game looking to do it instead of trying to win via a run out or 9/10 ball combo. Is there something I am missing that offense is valued that much over whole game strategic thinking?