Rhino shaft buyers, let 'er rip.......

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Has anyone heard anything more about the 3 piece jump cue they were making? I don't have facebook so I have no idea if they've talked about it more.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
'Initial' squirt line is same regardless of speed. A firm/hard hit shot just stays on that line longer. Soft shots(and masses of course) will curve/swerve back towards the initial line.

That must be one of those things that under certain circumstances its provable one way then when you play it's another way because,
if initial squirt line was always the same, why would people clamor after LD shaft with less and less cue ball squirt if squirt were the same
under playing condition which it is not. How long does it remain initial? Probably until the ball moves past 6 inches, then it's something else.

Do you remember Dr. Dave's cue ball deflection test video? He did that from 7 diamonds of distance to the rail where he measured the deflection of the cue ball. I remember it well and there were all kinds of wild hits because it was done by a person not a machine.

Even Bob Meucci's video done with a machine produced various results within range from what I remember.

dendweller

if initial squirt line was always the same, why would people clamor after LD shaft with less and less cue ball squirt if squirt were the same
under playing condition which it is not. How long does it remain initial? Probably until the ball moves past 6 inches, then it's something else.
An ld shaft and a standard shaft won't have the same squirt initially, that's why people want them. In fact, I think a really low deflection shaft will have you worrying more about correcting for the swerve when hitting high or low.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That must be one of those things that under certain circumstances its provable one way then when you play it's another way because,

Do you remember Dr. Dave's cue ball deflection test video? He did that from 7 diamonds of distance to the rail where he measured the deflection of the cue ball. I remember it well and there were all kinds of wild hits because it was done by a person not a machine.

Even Bob Meucci's video done with a machine produced various results within range from what I remember.
What i said, again: the initial squirt line is the SAME regardless of speed. I'm talking about using one cue not cueA vs. cueB. When you hit a ball off-center, REGARDLESS of how hard, the line of departure/squirt line for that offset is the same. Harder struck shots will go down this initial line longer, really soft ones will swerve back. How long they stay on the initial line is a function of speed, spin, cloth friction,etc. Different shafts DO have more/less squirt , i'm not saying all cues play same.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think about hitting a masse shot. The harder you hit it the longer it will take to swerve back. I think it's the same concept.
Exactly. Different speeds will have various (on hard hit shots often zero) amounts of swerve but the initial squirt-line/angle is the same. Squirt angle is determined by where you strike the CB, cue elevation,etc. How long it goes down the initial line is based on speed.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have reported the good....I guess I should also report the bad........My first two shafts were great...Playing Shaft 12.7 and a Break Shaft.....Both straight and consistent.....I used the break shaft on a Jump/Break butt I have but was unable to jump at all.....I changed the tip of the break shaft to a Taom Break tip and it improved it a lot.........and I can now jump again better than ever.....and I suck at jumping balls.

I wanted to try a slightly smaller 12.5 playing shaft so order my third shaft.....played with it a while and noticed more deflection than the 12.7....(but was told that was not supposed to happen).....Another player was checking out the shaft and rolled it and noticed a wobble.....I hadn't even check for wobble when I got the shaft...I just expected it to be like the first two....

Got the trusty el-cheapo HF freight calipers out and took multiple measurements......Looks like it is real close at the tip.....gets thicker...then way thinner....before getting thicker again....
View attachment 754938View attachment 754939View attachment 754940
Notified Rhino.....showed them the measurements......They told me to ship it back on my own dime and they would send me another one.......I said...yeah right..... thanks but I am not paying more money on shipping to send this one back and suggested they review their QC process......That was the end of the discussion.

That shaft will get allocated to the bar box...Forrest Whittaker over the shoulder cue butt and call it a day......Most likely that will be my last Rhino and I probably won't be "recommending" anyone to buy one anymore.
You can't expect a co. to pay for shipping half-way around the world. I've dealt with a lot co's in various fields(golf,guns,electronics) and few if any covered shipping on warranty issues. Rhino really seems to be run right and i'd bet they work with their tube supplier to get better QC.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
ive seen a taper roll on 90 percent of the cf shafts ive tried
who give af lol
if you go looking for issues you will find them on just about anything
and you really went looking for issues on a $200 shaft lol

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I get that....(but I should not have to pay that shipping either)....no worries...I am sucking up the loss of an inferior product....Hopefully they improve the QC.

There is acceptable tolerance and unacceptable.........This is unacceptable IMO.....I can deal with it not being exactly 12.5.....but it should have at least had a taper which is consistent.....not gets thicker then thinner then thicker again....Does not matter if it is $200 or $2000.......$200 may be chump change to you and that is fine...good for you........I work for a living.

Sorry for reporting the truth
sorry for working for a living
its a trap to drip drain you in our capable years

better go over all your other shafts tapers as well , might not like some stuff you find, could explain so many things just to be on the safe side

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
What i said, again: the initial squirt line is the SAME regardless of speed. I'm talking about using one cue not cueA vs. cueB. When you hit a ball off-center, REGARDLESS of how hard, the line of departure/squirt line for that offset is the same. Harder struck shots will go down this initial line longer, really soft ones will swerve back. How long they stay on the initial line is a function of speed, spin, cloth friction,etc. Different shafts DO have more/less squirt , i'm not saying all cues play same.

The squirt may be the same with all shafts, but the allowances for harder strokes are definitely different and change with
distance between the cue ball and object ball.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

The ability to understand and conquer squirt is what seperates the champions from the wannabes. Players that learned how b4 the advent of LD shafts, carbon Fiber, layered tips, etc..., Understood squirt and used it to their benefit.
The ball goes where you hit it. Lol.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I get that....(but I should not have to pay that shipping either)....no worries...I am sucking up the loss of an inferior product....Hopefully they improve the QC.

There is acceptable tolerance and unacceptable.........This is unacceptable IMO.....I can deal with it not being exactly 12.5.....but it should have at least had a taper which is consistent.....not gets thicker then thinner then thicker again....Does not matter if it is $200 or $2000.......$200 may be chump change to you and that is fine...good for you........I work for a living.

Sorry for reporting the truth
The visuals in your posts don't add up. That shaft appears to get larger towards the joint, not smaller. Perhaps the pics aren't detailed enuf to show the thinner area, but I sure don't see one, irregardless of what your mic says.
You seem to be determined to knock what everyone else on here has deemed a fine product for the price. Pool needs more companies like this. Not less. Nitpick elsewhere.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The squirt may be the same with all shafts, but the allowances for harder strokes are definitely different and change with
distance between the cue ball and object ball.
Your changing the subject. ALL i said was,FOR THE LAST TIME, IS: when using spin the initial start line is the same when hit off-center. The harder hit the longer the cb stays on that initial path. Also, i NEVER said squirt is the same for all shafts. You have to figure out the squirt characteristics of each cue.