Secrets!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Pool is simple. Pretty much everything about it is "public domain" knowledge, even if it isn't known by you.

pj
chgo

Sure Pat. You keep believing that. It's just sticks and balls man, you just look at the shot line it up and fire it in, that's it. You want to know what's tough? Stocker, that's what's tough. In ten years kids will be getting into West Point from playing Stocker.....

:)

Since you say everything is public domain why don't you point us to the information that Freddy Bentivegna disclosed in his book. Let's see Freddy came out with those books what about 7 years ago or so. So prior to that the information had to be available if you say it was "public domain" (I think we have different ideas of what public domain means). So where was Freddy's information available BEFORE Freddy decided to reveal it in a book. What part of the public domain would someone have had to travel to in order to know that this information exists and how to access it????

Just curious.

Because I read Byrne and didn't see any sort of banking techniques in that book similar to Freddy's. I read Mizerak, and Martin, and Jack Koehler's work, and watched Grady's tapes, read Willie's books and Fat' book, and a bunch of other books and never really saw anything like Freddy's information. So please tell us all where we could have gotten Freddy's banking methods prior to Freddy revealing them in the book. I am all ears. Maybe I was just a poor student and missed the information in all that other material (very likely). So I welcome the correction.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There goes John again
It doesn't matter that he is right ,lets all jump on John
It is so easy to act with all the confidence that ignorance can inspire
and even when we are wrong
Its easy to get John on tilt
Seems he doesn;t understand arguments that aren't logical
He will try to respond until it becomes obvious that all we are doing is playing with him
What say we all jump on John and get the moderator to remove John for getting excited

I have to agree that Freddies book was the best I ever saw on pool,first time I ever saw info that was helpful

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I think the biggest "Secret" to beating your opponent is being able to get them out of their natural Rhythm, and you do this in subtle ways, not by blatant sharking, but by just being You, the way you walk, talk, lookinto ones eyes, it can be unnerving to some people if your good at it, and when a player gets off their game , they start making mistakes, and you capitalize , and in return you will play an excellent game of pool yourself.

There are many secret's to playing good pool & winning, but being able to take someone out of their own element of their "feel good range" has got tobe at the top of the list!

David Harcrow

David,
This is one of pool's "dirty, little secrets". lol You are correct as usual. This is a technique mastered by few. Most of us have seen similar moves. One of those subtle "moves" is to take an additional break, that isn't really necessary except to cool the jets of your opponent. Intimidation is the secret of many pool players and is used far more frequently than most would imagine.

I've tried to resist these dirty little secrets but from time to time, I am forced to fight fire with fire just to survive. It isn't nice and it isn't pretty and I truly wish we could all rise above these mediocre, dirty, little moves.
It makes the whole lots of us look poorly and does nothing to increase our level of play. Even if it works, it simply pulls everyone down, including the person doing the execution.

I wish all players could see themselves as others see them when they do these less-than-gentleman deeds.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is one pool-shooting secret that only is known by a few. I probably will be accused of being a "knock" by sharing it with this public forum. It won't be the first time, I guess, but I really don't care anymore. The way I see it, we should all be out there helping each other. :smile:

Please don't bash the messenger. Here it is: Secret.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is one pool-shooting secret that only is known by a few. I probably will be accused of being a "knock" by sharing it with this public forum. It won't be the first time, I guess, but I really don't care anymore. The way I see it, we should all be out there helping each other. :smile:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Howdy Dutty was just like a cue.... WOOD...

Never Give Up:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

JoeyA

Silver Member
Secrets....................

Pool secrets exist as most would agree.

All of the pool knowledge of the world is worthless, unless you either know how to utilize that information.

Playing pool well, is not only about the knowledge but about the execution of that knowledge which is the "MAIN SECRET".

You will seldom see a competive player correct an opponent's weakness. He will be closed-mouth about this weakness and exploit that weakness.
If you're thinking he is being closed-mouth about his opponent's weakness you could be suffering from naïveté, a condition that we all suffer from, until we are exposed to the "SECRETS".

Once upon a time, I saw Keith McCready make a shot that no one else would shoot. I thought it was the coolest shot on the face of the earth and it wasn't long before I learned the "SECRET" of executing that shot. That shot was not known or used by many players at that time and it was in effect, a "SECRET". Keith didn't go around writing articles about this shot. He didn't regularly and openly share this shot with just anyone. It was HIS SECRET and there are many, many more out there.

What is fun for me is that these "SECRETS" are being shared in this forum by all, whether they want to call it a SECRET or not. :D

The arguing about whether something is a "SECRET" or just a piece of information is silly, imo. The learning of "SECRETS" should be fun. Let's share some "SECRETS" and have some fun.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool secrets exist as most would agree.

All of the pool knowledge of the world is worthless, unless you either know how to utilize that information.

Playing pool well, is not only about the knowledge but about the execution of that knowledge which is the "MAIN SECRET".

You will seldom see a competive player correct an opponent's weakness. He will be closed-mouth about this weakness and exploit that weakness.
If you're thinking he is being closed-mouth about his opponent's weakness you could be suffering from naïveté, a condition that we all suffer from, until we are exposed to the "SECRETS".

Once upon a time, I saw Keith McCready make a shot that no one else would shoot. I thought it was the coolest shot on the face of the earth and it wasn't long before I learned the "SECRET" of executing that shot. That shot was not known or used by many players at that time and it was in effect, a "SECRET". Keith didn't go around writing articles about this shot. He didn't regularly and openly share this shot with just anyone. It was HIS SECRET and there are many, many more out there.

What is fun for me is that these "SECRETS" are being shared in this forum by all, whether they want to call it a SECRET or not. :D

The arguing about whether something is a "SECRET" or just a piece of information is silly, imo. The learning of "SECRETS" should be fun. Let's share some "SECRETS" and have some fun.

Was that the El Juice shot???

JoeyA

Silver Member

That is the most amazing secret this thread has provided. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Sincerely,

JoeyA

Silver Member
Was that the El Juice shot???

That is a "SECRET", known only to a few. Even to this day, this shot is seldom used by anyone. Last night, against a very tough opponent, who was giving me the 8 and the last two I used this shot TWICE in three matches to pocket the object ball and to get unusual shape.

It is Keith's shot and if Keith writes under his own name and divulges ONE GENUINE SECRET, and gives me permission to share the shot, I will do so with cuetable diagram and all. :dance:

Even in my own pool room, I seldom see this shot performed by any players. It is either a "SECRET" or it's just too darn tough for anyone else to execute consistently well. :grin:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
There goes John again
It doesn't matter that he is right ,lets all jump on John
It is so easy to act with all the confidence that ignorance can inspire
and even when we are wrong
Its easy to get John on tilt
Seems he doesn;t understand arguments that aren't logical
He will try to respond until it becomes obvious that all we are doing is playing with him
What say we all jump on John and get the moderator to remove John for getting excited

I have to agree that Freddies book was the best I ever saw on pool,first time I ever saw info that was helpful

Thanks Dean but I am nowhere near being on tilt. Professor Johnson teaches pool to people who don't know the difference between the five ball and an orange. I doubt he has ever paid for a lesson with a pro, gambled with any pros or actually hung out with any pros. Surely though he has seen a lot of great players in Chicago. Apparently when they pass through Chicago all that they know is magically dispersed into the "public domain"......for anyone to receive simply by virtue of walking near a pool room. Hell I heard stories of the pizza delivery guy walking into Chris' to deliver a pizza for the first time when two great players were matched up and as soon as he left five minutes later he knew so much that he busted the next road player who showed up at his local bowling alley.

There are no secrets in pool. Go stand next to a pool table and focus and it will all come to you. Anyone can become a CHAMPION all by themselves with just a copy of Byrne's Standard Book of Pool & Billiards and enough dedication.

No one in pool knows more about how to play the game than Professor Patrick Johnson. He has cosmically absorbed all of the pool knowledge (and carom and snooker too) from the "public domain". So from now on if you have a question then ask Professor Dr. Oracle Pat Johnson and he will show you where in the public domain you can find the answer.

That is the real secret. Pat knows everything. Don't tell anyone.

Siz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Daly/Mosconi setup has the player standing square to the shot. Neither eye is over the cue stick. The stick is at your side, like shooting from the hip. Believe it or not, your brain will get you on the correct line.

My variation actually moves my left, non dominant eye more into the aiming picture. I think this is the opposite of what you're implying. I look across the shot, not straight down the shot line. It works for either eye dominance.

You will see pros using this in every tournament. Some are more obvious than others. Watch as they place the tip of the stick on the cloth and see how they stand in relation to the shot. It becomes an ingrained, unconscious habit after a while. If you're struggling, it is a quick connect to your subconscious mind. It is a way to say, "Okay. What do I need to do? You show me."

You can also use it to get warmed up from the git, especially under pressure or with little practice time. If I get on the table cold, I use this to help see the correct alignment. Let the inner mind aim so you don't have to. It knows what to do. Let it happen and take control so you can shorten the time it takes to get into dead stroke.

Best,
Mike

Lot of good stuff here.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I think that alot of players have their own secrets that they
will never make public. When you watch a player make a mistake
because of not knowing a particular method or technique, then
you possess what would be considered a SECRET to them. ;)

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started doing this about a year ago...probably the single biggest thing I've done to improve my game in almost 30 years! I was amazed at how jacked up my stance was until I started doing this. I was leaning and twisting all over the place, all unbalanced. Didn't think I was set up wrong until I tried this. I heard about this simple trick of locking my right hand into my hip, lining up the cue with the shot and then stepping down into my stance. Everything instantly clicked and my consistency went through the roof! Add to that the Pinoy trick of initially aiming at the base of the ball (to verify you're lined up absolutely on the center vertical line--AND I can see the line between my cueball and object ball contact points for aim better) and I'm shooting the best pool I've shot in over 20 years!

Jay Helfert and others have already addressed staying calm and having the winning attitude--that's my biggest problem and my next challenge. I tried to work on that in the last two tournaments I played in, and went farther than I have in years...still need work there, though! :thumbup:

CJ Wiley, in his video, touches on this to a degree. He talks about putting your hand on your hip when lining up your shot. Mosconi said to turn a little more than Daly did in the initial setup. This is closer to what I do.

Gerry Kanov showed me this info a while back and I thought it was too simple to be useful. After all, how could old techniques be applied to modern day styles? We stand less erect and know a heck of a lot more about the game than they did a hundred years ago. Placing my stick anywhere off to the side was confusing at best.

After I tried it and adapted it for my own personal use, I realized even more interesting things about a straight stroke and why I used to miss balls. Without over analyzing the technique, I chuckle at its simplicity and wish I'd stumbled on it years ago.

Best,
Mike

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a "SECRET", known only to a few. Even to this day, this shot is seldom used by anyone. Last night, against a very tough opponent, who was giving me the 8 and the last two I used this shot TWICE in three matches to pocket the object ball and to get unusual shape.

It is Keith's shot and if Keith writes under his own name and divulges ONE GENUINE SECRET, and gives me permission to share the shot, I will do so with cuetable diagram and all. :dance:

Even in my own pool room, I seldom see this shot performed by any players. It is either a "SECRET" or it's just too darn tough for anyone else to execute consistently well. :grin:

It's a variation or should I say a better application of a shot from one of the Byrne's tapes. I have the old article here somewhere and use to bang it of sometimes. I saw Keith at Snookers and was going to ask him about it but didn't get the chance. Cool shot when it comes out roses.

Pete

JoeyA

Silver Member
It's a variation or should I say a better application of a shot from one of the Byrne's tapes. I have the old article here somewhere and use to bang it of sometimes. I saw Keith at Snookers and was going to ask him about it but didn't get the chance. Cool shot when it comes out roses.

Pete

Good try but my lips are sealed. :smile: If you show me the shot you are talking about I will let you know if it is the one I am thinking about that Keith excels at so well.