Shane and Bergman maintain top two Mosconi Cup spots

nateobot

Undercover FBI Agent
Silver Member
Why not all of America vs. Europe?

It's modeled after the Ryder Cup, which pits Merica vs Europe.

Were Europeans wanting to change the format when we had a streak where we won 9 out of 10? These things happen, don't change the format just because we're on a bit of a slide.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blah blah blah.
Shane
Dechaine
Strickland
Frost
Dominguez
Alt. Morris

Screw the points system or give them the finger. Mosconi wasn't eating crumpets and drinking warm tea.

Rep to you. I can definitely get behind this team a lot more than other names that might get thrown out into the mix. It's a shame Oscar isn't more highly regarded, but that's another discussion for another part of this forum. Frost has exhibited some extraordinary leadership ability while he was playing BB. I think he'd be a great MC coach in the future. Strickland might be abrasive and difficult to deal with, but there's no denying his passion for the game, will to win, and high expectations both for himself and those around him. Plus he's still able to keep up with players 20 years younger than him.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
It's modeled after the Ryder Cup, which pits Merica vs Europe.

Were Europeans wanting to change the format when we had a streak where we won 9 out of 10? These things happen, don't change the format just because we're on a bit of a slide.

Valid observation, ya gotta crawl before you walk sometimes in life:

No knowing the stats, but I'm sure that the US and Europe both dominated each other at one time or another. It's a work in progress, our players are VERY fortunate to have SOMETHING. Toughest thing with American players, it's similar to herding cats, which is ''just the way it is for NOW''. Gentrification tho is before us.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
What's Dechaine's MC record? Not being critical or a smarta$$, really am curious. I don't remember him doing well at all...

And it's an exhibition, "deserves" got nothing to do with it. Matchroom owns it, sets the terms and does it to make money on overseas viewerships/revenues. At least it's pool on TV.

I'm just saying Mike plays jam up, sometimes you have to get knocked down so you can get back up. Yes it's true his MC record isn't great but how about SVB what is his Mosconi Cup record...the guy went like 1-6 last year or something real close to that and everyone gives him this magic free pass.

Go by the eye test and you may not find a better playing American right now than Dechaine, he's still getting better too. There isn't a long list of people chasing him around to play some either. He did bad and sat out, let's get behind getting him another shot at righting the ship. I was watching some of the tourney at SBE and the bleachers filled up when his table got announced each time, he's exciting to watch and not a robot.

If we are just trying new things than I could get behind an all new team as well but I get nauseous hearing about other guys who have dogged it but deserve more chances but that seems to not apply to Dechaine, it's just not right. I just feel like he's more seasoned now. Throw him back in the water, I think he swims this time.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
It's a shame Oscar isn't more highly regarded, but that's another discussion for another part of this forum.

Mark Wilson - who is a friend of mine - came out when Oscar was recently playing Bergman in St Louis. I point blank said to Mark -- if Oscar goes to all of these champion home towns and beats them, does he then make the Mosconi Cup? Cause his recent record is convincingly beating Bartram, one of the top gamblers in the country and then beating Bergman over the course of two days playing 10 ball to a combined score of 42- 31.

My pick for the team would be

SVB
DeChaine
Frost
Dominguez
Bergman or Hall

Hall was by far the best player last year and seemed the most comfortable and confident in the atmosphere. The timing of Matchroom announces I feel has hurt Hall this year in participating in the point events. I hope he makes a big push in the last of the events.

If Frost slips in the remaining events and Archer continues to play good, I would replace Frost with Archer.

This team would have the best chance, most leadership, most active players in the tournament world and most heart.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Wilson - who is a friend of mine - came out when Oscar was recently playing Bergman in St Louis. I point blank said to Mark -- if Oscar goes to all of these champion home towns and beats them, does he then make the Mosconi Cup? Cause his recent record is convincingly beating Bartram, one of the top gamblers in the country and then beating Bergman over the course of two days playing 10 ball to a combined score of 42- 31.
And.. what did Mark say? Don't leave us hanging.

It seemed to me that Oscar burned some bridges last year after he was cut. But I hope and think Mark wouldn't hold a grudge.

tjshaw02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how about SVB what is his Mosconi Cup record...the guy went like 1-6 last year or something real close to that and everyone gives him this magic free pass.

I'm sure that leading in MC points is not a free pass, I may be missing something though?...

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
And.. what did Mark say? Don't leave us hanging.

It seemed to me that Oscar burned some bridges last year after he was cut. But I hope and think Mark wouldn't hold a grudge.

I can't see where Oscar burned any bridges and if he did then there's something wrong with that scenario

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What's Dechaine's MC record? Not being critical or a smarta$$, really am curious. I don't remember him doing well at all...

Dechaine's Mosconi Cup record for his two appearances:

In terms of matches played: 1-3 singles, 1-4 doubles, 1-1 teams, 3-8 total (winning percentage 27%)

In terms of contribution to the overall Cup scores (1/2 pt. in a doubles match, 1/5 point in a teams match): 1.7 - 5.2 (winning percentage 25%).

But that was 2011 and 2012. Mike is simply better now than he was then. I trust he will have a chance to show that in future Cups.

tjshaw02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how about SVB what is his Mosconi Cup record...the guy went like 1-6 last year or something real close to that and everyone gives him this magic free pass.

I'm sure that leading in MC points is not a free pass, I may be missing something though?...

Pretty sure it is. Can't remember if the top 2 or 3 make the team and captain picks 2? I could be wrong though.

How would that be a "free" pass, sounds more like an "earned" pass to me. ;)

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two of the last four events are bar table events, meaning the Mosconi points this year are based on five bar table events and four big table events. Perhaps I didn't hear about it - is the 2015 Mosconi Cup on bar tables? If not, why would we count even one bar table event?

I've purchased Mosconi Cup tickets and I'm alerting the forum now that I'll give them away for free to someone on this forum if the team we select is not, in my view, reasonably representative of America's best rotation pool players.

Just to show you how I support you, I will take the free tickets and pass along your disgust at the event.

THATS THE KIND OF GUY I AM!

Best of rolls,

Ken

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Just to show you how I support you, I will take the free tickets and pass along your disgust at the event.

THATS THE KIND OF GUY I AM!

Best of rolls,

Ken

Rest assured, Ken, I'm not joking here. I'll keep you in mind should I choose to abandon my already purchased seats.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
How would that be a "free" pass, sounds more like an "earned" pass to me. ;)

When I say free pass I mean for his terrible record in the Mosconi Cup, the same thing people would like to hold against others who are trying to make it back in the ring. If you're gonna break down Dechaine than break down them all...not a knock, it's a tough competition and all of the guys that have played are more than capable of bouncing back.

tjshaw02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I say free pass I mean for his terrible record in the Mosconi Cup, the same thing people would like to hold against others who are trying to make it back in the ring. If you're gonna break down Dechaine than break down them all...not a knock, it's a tough competition and all of the guys that have played are more than capable of bouncing back.

I do absolutely agree that all could be broken down, but Mike DeChaine has nobody to blame but himself (IMO) by not entering all the qualifiers that have been available. I do agree that he would be an awesome addition to the squad, still have to earn your spot if you want it guaranteed. He most liekly will be a captains pick though.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I say free pass I mean for his terrible record in the Mosconi Cup ...

Shane has played in the Mosconi Cup 8 times (2007 - 2014).

The aggregate match record for the USA in those 8 years is 55 wins and 84 losses.

Counting half a point for a win or a loss in a doubles match and one-fifth of a point in a teams match, Shane's contribution to that 55-84 record is 14.1 wins and 18.0 losses.

So, for those 8 years, we have the following match-winning percentages:
• Team USA -- 55 - 84 = 40%
• Shane -- 14.1 - 18.0 = 44%
• Team USA excluding Shane -- 40.9 - 66.0 = 38%

In other words, relative to his teammates, Shane hasn't been so terrible.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Shane has played in the Mosconi Cup 8 times (2007 - 2014).

The aggregate match record for the USA in those 8 years is 55 wins and 84 losses.

Counting half a point for a win or a loss in a doubles match and one-fifth of a point in a teams match, Shane's contribution to that 55-84 record is 14.1 wins and 18.0 losses.

So, for those 8 years, we have the following match-winning percentages:
• Team USA -- 55 - 84 = 40%
• Shane -- 14.1 - 18.0 = 44%
• Team USA excluding Shane -- 40.9 - 66.0 = 38%

In other words, relative to his teammates, Shane hasn't been so terrible.

More accurate would be that Shane has been awful, but his teammates have been just slightly worse.