Lifetime Pool in Action

* Jimmy Reid *
* George Rood *
* Denny Searcy *

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Bandanna Joe said:
To me, he should have to wait out of respect to a whole list of older players that dominated the game for years & have yet to be noticed. No doubt Shannon is an amazing player & will be in the HOF someday; however, look at all of the players and stories about them in a book such as Winning One Pocket. Are those guys not to be recognized?

Maybe there needs to be a mass retroactive induction of the older players.

Bandana Joe,
To me, the HOF is about "WHO WAS THE BEST". Two of the considerations into the HOF are championships won and gambling match ups.
Shannon Daulton has excelled at both. And he's been a top player since he was in middle school! I don't agree that because he accomplished so much at such a young age that he should be penalized by waiting for all the guys older than him to get in ahead of him. If I follow your thinking, Shannon should have to wait till he's in his 60's or 70's to get inducted???

Something else to consider. Mulitiple candidates can be inducted each year. Having Shannon get in does not exclude someone else worthy also getting inducted this year. I'm voting for several of the guys we've already mentioned. San Jose Dick is a real gem of a guy, Ervolino, while better at 14.1 than 1P, certainly deserves recognition. Not enough good things can be said about Jose Parica, Allen Hopkins and Buddy Hall. BUT,
my point is that in one on one match ups with these power-houses, I would have to bet on Shannon if the game was One Pocket or banks. How can that point even be debated when his credentials are matched up with these other great players?

The HOF should be about great players. Great players win championships.
Count how many major championships Daulton has. To me, this is such an easy decision. The only point of controversy is whether he should be penalized and made to wait until he's an AARP member because he was so great so young. :)

Last edited:

Bandanna Joe

Watchez Supporter
Silver Member
Terry Ardeno said:
Bandana Joe,
To me, the HOF is about "WHO WAS THE BEST". Two of the considerations into the HOF are championships won and gambling match ups.
Shannon Daulton has excelled at both. And he's been a top player since he was in middle school! I don't agree that because he accomplished so much at such a young age that he should be penalized by waiting for all the guys older than him to get in ahead of him. If I follow your thinking, Shannon should have to wait till he's in his 60's or 70's to get inducted???

Something else to consider. Mulitiple candidates can be inducted each year. Having Shannon get in does not exclude someone else worthy also getting inducted this year. I'm voting for several of the guys we've already mentioned. San Jose Dick is a real gem of a guy, Ervolino, while better at 14.1 than 1P, certainly deserves recognition. Not enough good things can be said about Jose Parica, Allen Hopkins and Buddy Hall. BUT,
my point is that in one on one match ups with these power-houses, I would have to bet on Shannon if the game was One Pocket or banks. How can that point even be debated when his credentials are matched up with these other great players?

The HOF should be about great players. Great players win championships.
Count how many major championships Daulton has. To me, this is such an easy decision. The only point of controversy is whether he should be penalized and made to wait until he's an AARP member because he was so great so young. :)

Terry,

Made to wait until he is an aarp member....LOL...that is great.

Your points are well taken & your arguement is valid. In my haste, I was looking at the wrong info for current HOF members. After seeing the very large list of members above, I checked the list on Jay's Site which does include a good amount from Winning One Pocket.

BTW, in defense of your choice, I will never forget watching Shannon destroy people 15 years ago when I first saw him play in person. His stroke was so incredibly fluid and he shot with confidence that I hadn't seen in someone that age. He's in my Accustats library in the basement!

Regards,
Joe

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Tom In Cincy said:
Lifetime Pool in Action

* Jimmy Reid *
* George Rood *
* Denny Searcy *

It would be such a classy move to honor George Rood, one of the best ever. He gets my vote before anyone else. Terry, winning championships is something today's players are measured by, but in the 30's there was a different standard. Acknowledging the accomplishments Mr. Rood achieved and the way he did it casts a long shadow over anyone else mentioned here.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Bandanna Joe said:
Terry,

Made to wait until he is an aarp member....LOL...that is great.

Your points are well taken & your arguement is valid. In my haste, I was looking at the wrong info for current HOF members. After seeing the very large list of members above, I checked the list on Jay's Site which does include a good amount from Winning One Pocket.

BTW, in defense of your choice, I will never forget watching Shannon destroy people 15 years ago when I first saw him play in person. His stroke was so incredibly fluid and he shot with confidence that I hadn't seen in someone that age. He's in my Accustats library in the basement!

Regards,
Joe

Joe,
I enjoy banter like this a lot. And your thoughts, views and opinions are just as valid as mine or anyone elses! I like debating the merits of various players. Lots of fun and we can all learn from each others perspectives.

One of the things I like best about Shannon is his fearlessness at the table. He's said in the past that great players earn the fear they put into other players. And he's not afraid of any player in the world. He respects them, but has no dog in him when playing another legend.

I'll give you an example of his total confidence that he has in his game....He was playing Steve Mizerak in the finals of a tournament and just after the hand shake before the lag, Shannon asked the Miz if he wanted to bet anything on the match!:D Shannon has all the heart in the world.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
hangemhigh said:
It would be such a classy move to honor George Rood, one of the best ever. He gets my vote before anyone else. Terry, winning championships is something today's players are measured by, but in the 30's there was a different standard. Acknowledging the accomplishments Mr. Rood achieved and the way he did it casts a long shadow over anyone else mentioned here.

Good post. And for as old as he is, he is still "spunky". He is not shy at all about telling you how great he played. He's one of the last links to a bygone era.

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Terry Ardeno said:
Good post. And for as old as he is, he is still "spunky". He is not shy at all about telling you how great he played. .

Can you blame him, not many are still around to testify for him. I believe I remember him saying he played with Greenleaf.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Neil said:
First, a question- how many can get elected each year?

Now, to your post- Terry, with all due respect, you seem to measuring the players TODAY. Try measuring S.D. against Buddy or Parica in their prime. I don't think he would be the favorite. Now, if you want Sannon in now, for what he has recently done, then when are the older guys ever going to get in?? I assume only 2 are voted in each year? Do you really think that S.D. should get in before these legends?

And, the lifetime in action category HAS to have Keith, Jose, and Efren in it. I don't think anybody would question that.

Neil,
If you go to the links to Onepocket.org and peruse the HOF section, you can see how many got elected in the variouys years. Each year, a different amount got inducted. There's not really a solid number I could give you, as it changes from year to year.

As for the other part of your post, Shannon beats Jose & Buddy in One Pocket and banks, no matter at what age you made Jose or Buddy.
Jose would be the stronger money player in 9 ball, Buddy has to be the favorite over Shannon in 9 ball and Jose is the better all around player over Shannon because Shannon doesn't play 14.1 and Jose does. But we're talking One Pocket and banks.

Shannon's forte is one pocket and banks. Personally, I feel his bank game is even stronger than his one pocket game. This isn't about who has the most U.S. Open 9 Ball Championships or World 9 ball Championships. talking strictly 1P and banks for this thread. And yes, I believe with all my heart that Shannon played stronger one pocket than Buddy in Buddy's prime. Buddy Hall made 90% of his name in 9 ball. He had, in my opinion, the very best cue ball control of any player ever. Jose made his reputation in 9 ball also. One pocket and banks were not his real strength, although he's a legitimate monster in any game he plays. And even though Daulton won 2 Derby City Classic 9 Ball titles, his name was made in one pocket, not 9 ball.

As far as the life time in action award, I agree with you about Keith, Jose and Efren. But Shannon has been in action also, since he was a child. Hopkins is another one who has always been a solid money player.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I voted for Cliff Joyner and San Jose Dick McMorran,I do think Allen would be another good choice also along with Ervolino.Shannon can wait a few years,Cliff dominated for 10 years in the US,to me that is worth something and he has more tourney wins in one hole too I do believe. :smile:

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
punter said:
Can you blame him, not many are still around to testify for him. I believe I remember him saying he played with Greenleaf.

Punter,
Rood was born on Nov 11, 1914! His high run in 14.1 was 280. He's going to be 94 years old! And his mind is still sharp. He's an example we should all mention when someone says pool players life styles don't bode for a long life. :)

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Terry Ardeno said:
Punter,
Rood was born on Nov 11, 1914! His high run in 14.1 was 280. He's going to be 94 years old! And his mind is still sharp. He's an example we should all mention when someone says pool players life styles don't bode for a long life. :)

Not only one of the great pool players, George Rood was an Olympian in '36, a Champion dog owner and one of the most respected show dog judges in the world. Oh yeah, he also served his country with honor and distinction.

Punter, George, when he was a young man, played Greenleaf , as well as Fats and all the greats of that era. He is a wealth of knowledge and was instrumental in getting Rags Fitzpatrick nominated for the 1p HOF as well.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Fast Lenny said:
Shannon can wait a few years, :smile:

Lenny,
I'm not just doing this for Shannon to be inducted. I'm also doing this so I can still be alive when he gets inducted!:D

I'm not a young gun like you guys. I'll be 50 in April, but I feel more like 80!Everybody is talking about how all those old guys should be inducted first...well, at that rate, I'll have to leave instructions for my grandkids who ain't here yet to make sure they log in at AZB and at Onepocket.org and lobby for Shannon on behalf of their grandpap (me) who will be 6 feet closer to China by then!:D

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Swimming. He went to Berlin, somehow injured himself and did not get to compete. He used to swim across the Ohio river as a young boy.

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
Terry Ardeno said:
Lenny,
I'm not just doing this for Shannon to be inducted. I'm also doing this so I can still be alive when he gets inducted!:D

I'm not a young gun like you guys. I'll be 50 in April, but I feel more like 80!Everybody is talking about how all those old guys should be inducted first...well, at that rate, I'll have to leave instructions for my grandkids who ain't here yet to make sure they log in at AZB and at Onepocket.org and lobby for Shannon on behalf of their grandpap (me) who will be 6 feet closer to China by then!:D
I betcha it ain't gonna take that long. LOL

PIRANHA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bandanna Joe said:
My vote would be for Cliff Joyner or one of the elder players.

Shannon can have the nomination in 10 or 20 years.

I think Cecil Tugwell should not be left out. I used to watch him play a lot when he was living in St. Louis. Even after his arm/shoulder had been broken, he played top notch off handed.
I don't know why Cecil Tugwell is aways over looked. Ask Reyes and Varner
how they liked playing Cecil. LES

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Ktown D said:
I betcha it ain't gonna take that long. LOL

Daniel,
I think you may be right! "Joe the plumber" just called me and said that HE is not only going to lobby hard for Shannon to be inducted, he's also going to try to use his new found clout to get S.D. some air time on FOX News, CNN & MSNBC!

I thanked him a lot and told him that if you want more balls made and less wasted balls just sitting around on the Simonis, then Shannon is definitely the right candidiate! He'll cut down on wasted shots and help protect us from foreign players winning everything. And he'll put more people back to work racking the balls for him! Shannon is the youngest candidate, yet he brings a lifetime's worth of experience and success to the table.

We have a very important election coming up. Please, let's vote wisely for the BEST and MOST QUALIFIED candidate!

Last edited: