sidepocketlessness

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I searched previous threads before posting this, and didn't really find a good answer...

Is this really, really, that bad of an idea? People complain about matchroom, and new games like American Rotation and Bonus Ball, and anything against the traditional. Fair enough. But in the same breath complain about how pool needs "something new".

Maybe games made specifically for side pocketless tables is a good combination that hasn't been tried yet. Not just applying the games we already have to them.

Would you watch an experimental event, of something like, pocket-carom, where the cue ball needs to travel a few rails each time to make a point? Or some other idea?

Before you reply, think about it and try to avoid aligning to tribal mentality to feel part of the negative in-group prevalent on AZB; an allergic reaction to new ideas. (Unless the art of complaining is what the sport has become). Thanks

Connelly_Pool_Table_008.4074556_std.jpg

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like having side pockets. Some players think that removing the side pockets would make the game more difficult, but side pockets probably suck in the lion’s share of CBs .. sort of like a couple extra sand traps in golf .. another scratch in the side pocket

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like having side pockets. Some players think that removing the side pockets would make the game more difficult, but side pockets probably suck in the lion’s share of CBs .. sort of like a couple extra sand traps in golf .. another scratch in the side pocket
Hmmm. What if we made some game that was completely different from even the basic pool rules. Like maybe a scratch is a type of goal, like in Russian Pyramid, or different cue balls like in carom, or whatever.

I don’t have the answer, but I wonder if there is something someone can come up with that would be fun to both watch and play, that strikes a good balance for everyone.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I read this already. Looks like they were going to/did play 10 ball, the response from some was that it was a gimmicked table.

What if a game was made specifically for that type of table where it wasn’t considered a gimmick?
yea it was a gimmicked table,
it was missing one third of it’s pockets

as to a specific game,
maybe ten ball and player one
has to make certain balls in these
certain pockets, and player two
has to make those in another pocket

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Makes it hard to play 1-15.......

1-15 is an 8-ball variant where the 1 has to go in the left hand side pocket (as seen when racking the balls) and the 15-ball has to go in the right side pocket. If player makes his 1 (or 15) in a wrong pocket--instant loss of game. If opponent makes 1 (or 15) iin any pocket it simply relieves player from having to make 1 (or 15) in the proper pocket.)

Makes it harder to play 8-ball, 9-ball, 10-ball, too.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no doubt good and interesting games could be adapted or created for a table without side pockets, but it’s the necessity of requiring a new table that makes it wholly impractical IMO. Pool rooms typically aren’t doing well enough to want to start bringing in new specialized tables and the idea that any design like this could get enough traction without room owners being on board is unlikely. So it relegates it to the realm of gimmicks I’m afraid. Perhaps interesting gimmicks, but gimmicks nonetheless.

I think you’d have better luck with some kind of 4-pocket concept where balls made into side pockets spot, at least that wouldn’t require thousands in tables investment.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I searched previous threads before posting this, and didn't really find a good answer...

Is this really, really, that bad of an idea? People complain about matchroom, and new games like American Rotation and Bonus Ball, and anything against the traditional. Fair enough. But in the same breath complain about how pool needs "something new".

Maybe games made specifically for side pocketless tables is a good combination that hasn't been tried yet. Not just applying the games we already have to them.

Would you watch an experimental event, of something like, pocket-carom, where the cue ball needs to travel a few rails each time to make a point? Or some other idea?

Before you reply, think about it and try to avoid aligning to tribal mentality to feel part of the negative in-group prevalent on AZB; an allergic reaction to new ideas. (Unless the art of complaining is what the sport has become). Thanks

View attachment 747919
Practicing on a table without side pockets I would think would be very good for an already skilled player to improve their position play and leaving the correct angles in their patterns.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
they invented a similar game you used a white ball and also hit it with a stick. and you aimed the stick to hit the ball.
but you also get to run to bases. so its an aerobic game as well.

they also invented a pool game with no pockets. called it billiards or something. but the pool players werent smart enough to be able to figure out how to make the shots so they went back to pockets.