Spots on Arimath Tournament Balls

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But protruding hack-installed affixing devices are not unheard of.

Just not possible in the context of this thread's point.

rtrdriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gold Crowns use allen head screws to hold the pockets

Maybe the newer ones do, I don't know. But I do know the older ones have the nails I described.

Did you know the newer GC's are made in Japan now?

Did you know that the newer GC pockets are a more flush design than the older ones?

Things change, design changes over time. He did say he had a GC2. What are they up to now? A GCIV or GCV? I don't keep track because I know a better table when I see one and play on one.

Did you know that the Diamond table was designed by professional pool players? Shelf depth, taper of pockets, width of pockets.

It's a fact ; read it on their own website.

I hate when people discount theory when they have no knowledge of what you're talking about.

Last edited:

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe the newer ones do, I don't know. But I do know the older ones have the nails I described.

Did you know the newer GC's are made in Japan now?

Did you know that the newer GC pockets are a more flush design than the older ones?

Things change, design changes over time. He did say he had a GC2. What are they up to now? A GCIV or GCV? I don't keep track because I know a better table when I see one.

Did you know that the Diamond table was designed by professional pool players? Shelf depth, taper of pockets, width of pockets.

It's a fact ; read it on their own website.

I hate when people discount theory when they have no knowledge of what you're talking about.

That would be you in this case!

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
But protruding hack-installed affixing devices are not unheard of.

Just not possible in the context of this thread's point.

You are right, some times they get striped threads too. then a hack gets out the nails

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, here are my aramith super pros. About an hour of play, post last run through polisher, no polish added.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 197

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And here are the balls I will play some 3c with now (cyclop):

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 189

rtrdriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW, I have a set a of Super Aramith Pros that have the same marks and they've only been used on my 7' Diamond Pro Am. I will admit that I occasionally hit the balls directly with my cue, however, so I don't know if that's part of the issue with mine.

What kind of chalk are you using?

I've also heard that some Diamonds do make a black mark on some balls.

Comes form the impact on the leather pocket liner.

I haven't experienced this, however.

Chalk marks on the cue ball will transfer to the object ball upon impact.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, not quite yet. Here is example of pocket blocker and chalk brand:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 193

rtrdriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, here are my aramith super pros. About an hour of play, post last run through polisher, no polish added.

Have you tried using more polish or leaving them in the polisher a little longer?

Those do look like impact marks to me.

If you can't get them off with the polisher, then I suspect the polisher or the polisher pads need changing. Unless you have a GC with pocket issues too.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I guess a man of science might need to be called upon to investigate further, but I guess I was wrong: it does seem ball-to-ball contact is likely to blame:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 191

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you tried using more polish or leaving them in the polisher a little longer?

Those do look like impact marks to me.

If you can't get them off with the polisher, then I suspect the polisher or the polisher pads need changing. Unless you have a GC with pocket issues too.

I am satisfied with the clean out of my polisher and I always run them for full timer length, 30min.

I suspect it is the cloth and the dust it holds that transfers to the balls.

Very old and was in a poolroom before the 6-7 yrs at my house

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 181

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
"that's a bold statement coming from a one-eyed fat man" from 'True Grit'.

Just a fact, Gold crowns have had allen screws since the GC1's, they are up to GC VI now and have been made overseas for a while.
As to Diamond Tables yes I have one and Glen Hancock (Diamond's go to table guy) came and re worked the rails and set it up for me.
So based on that and your reply I am thinking you are like 12 and just learning.
The marks are from ball to ball collisions, you can see the same marks though not as big running them in a home made polisher without a separator between the balls.

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you checked to see if maybe a nail head or even the indentation of a nail head in one of the pockets is the culprit?

My experience with old gold crowns says that they nailed the corner of the pockets to hold them in. Just sayin".

I checked this. All nails are behind the plastic of the pocket

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black Balled, that was the result after not pocketing any balls correct? And secondly, your felt looks like crap!! :D

My felt is in much better condition...so maybe it is ball to ball contact. Now the question is why does it happen to some of us and not others?

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still believe the spots are due to the dirty rubber in the pockets of older Gold Crowns.

It doesn’t occour to owners of Diamond tables because their pockets are lined with leather, and in the case of drop pockets I think the bottom of some Diamond drop pockets are canvas.

Stuffing the pockets of a GC with a ballon is still having rubber coming in contact with the balls. Stuffing the pocket with something like a towel, as previously suggested, might be a better test.

Better yet, give those old pockets a good cleaning and conditioning and see if your situation does not improve.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black Balled, that was the result after not pocketing any balls correct? And secondly, your felt looks like crap!! :D

My felt is in much better condition...so maybe it is ball to ball contact. Now the question is why does it happen to some of us and not others?

Felt? pool tables have no such thing,

Yes, those balls never touched anything other than playing surface and each other.

Last edited: