Stroke vs. Aiming

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Still no pics fshowing that 1/2 ball hit exist.

Can't be done huh.......therefore my quote is correct.

Thanks for sharing the fact that 1/2 ball hit does not exist.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

I'd call this a picture of a half ball hit. Contact point
between the balls is irrelevant. Half of the cue ball
Is overlapping half of the OB. It's not a physics class.
It's pool. Make it simple and it becomes simple.

Attachments

• IMG_20170225_184034012_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170225_184034012_HDR.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 221

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Actually Greg no hit exists. Nothing ever touched anything else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

duckie - I think your drawings are correct... Most folks just can't see the balls from overhead though.

99.9% of players see balls from behind. What if it wasn't called a 1/2 ball hit, but called 1/2 ball AIM.

If you really, truly, honestly can't see OB edges it won't work. Then I agree you're in the .1% bracket.

No bullying.. No bull shit.. No nothing... Just trying to figure out why you insist there is no 1/2 ball hit.

Play well, Carl

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member

So you are basically saying Mike Page, Bob Jewett, Robert Byrne, etc. are all incorrect on the subject of the 1/2 ball hit. Duckie is smarter and wiser than all the pool professors combined. Is that what you're getting at? :thumbup:

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Im betting I could take a 100(probably a trillion ) people who don't play pool an explain the 1/2 ball hit to them without a hitch.

Mr Duck
What is it that you actually see when your looking dead center through the cb at the edge of the the ob? If your aiming process doesn't allow you to take note of seeing a 1/2 ball hit doesn't mean its not there. Is a dead straight shot a 1/2 ball hit??? you could say it is .:wink:

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought half refers to the amount of energy transfered to the object ball. With a half ball hit the two balls travel the same distance away from each other. In which case a half ball hit is totally possible.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd call this a picture of a half ball hit. Contact point
between the balls is irrelevant. Half of the cue ball
Is overlapping half of the OB. It's not a physics class.
It's pool. Make it simple and it becomes simple.

But now, take the same picture, with the CB about a diamond back. It don't look like you're covering 1/2 OB then. Thus you cannot rely on just the overlap. The cut will look pretty thin from a few inches and look thick with the OB 6 diamonds away. Same thing for 1/4 ball and 3/4 ball hits.

Actually, what you have it on the pic, with the top of the CB aligned with the edge of the OB, seems a bit more realistic to me than "imagining" I'm looking through the CB as suggested by some.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Greg,

You're right, there is no such thing as a pure half-ball HIT that is easily expressed in an exact angle.

But here is the thing, your holistic view on aiming, put the ball where it needs to be.... fits in with the idea of a half-ball aim perfectly. Think about it, easy to see the center, easy to see where the ball ends and open space begins, easy to put the center of the cueball into that space.

I don't think it's helpful to think in angles in pool. I think it's important to use perceptions to get the visual information to guide the body into the right space.

I can draw this diagram and show you several angular measurements but what good are they? What good is knowing that a half-ball "hit" is 33 degrees, 60 degrees, whatever.... what IS helpful is anything that can inform your perception to help you accurately put the ball where it needs to go.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 3.47.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 3.47.24 PM.png
    167.9 KB · Views: 191

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greg,

You're right, there is no such thing as a pure half-ball HIT that is easily expressed in an exact angle.

But here is the thing, your holistic view on aiming, put the ball where it needs to be.... fits in with the idea of a half-ball aim perfectly. Think about it, easy to see the center, easy to see where the ball ends and open space begins, easy to put the center of the cueball into that space.

I don't think it's helpful to think in angles in pool. I think it's important to use perceptions to get the visual information to guide the body into the right space.

I can draw this diagram and show you several angular measurements but what good are they? What good is knowing that a half-ball "hit" is 33 degrees, 60 degrees, whatever.... what IS helpful is anything that can inform your perception to help you accurately put the ball where it needs to go.

The blue angle should be 60 degrees if the balls are the same size an they are touching.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Half-ball is just a term Duckie.
Stop nitpicking it.

It's not like half a pie or I can only see " half of the ball ".
Just think of it as an half a ball of overlap.
We can't say half a disc of overlap anyway.
OR they can call it center to edge hit. Yipes!

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
The blue angle should be 60 degrees if the balls are the same size an they are touching.
I used the angle measurement tool to prove a point...Even using a program like Corel draw the angles measured aren't always easy to get perfect when a person is holding a mouse and reading the numbers as it moves. So what chance does a human have to determine angles of shots with any real accuracy when facing a real shot?

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used the angle measurement tool to prove a point...Even using a program like Corel draw the angles measured aren't always easy to get perfect when a person is holding a mouse and reading the numbers as it moves. So what chance does a human have to determine angles of shots with any real accuracy when facing a real shot?

Then again CIT does reduce the resulting cut angle a bit.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I'll take this one. It's junk science fueled by never ending research grants.

Or it's good science polluted by the research grant treadmill.

Maybe science shouldn't always have to be funded by grants that cause scientists to spend so much time applying for grants.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then again CIT does reduce the resulting cut angle a bit.

But since most everyone who has played long enough seen how throw affects their shots, they'll selectively compensate by aiming a tiny bit thinner, hitting the ball harder, or use a touch of outside English. Unless of course, they're playing the CIT and want a slightly thicker cut than 1/2 ball...

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or it's good science polluted by the research grant treadmill.

Maybe science shouldn't always have to be funded by grants that cause scientists to spend so much time applying for grants.

True but in this case it was never good science.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
True but in this case it was never good science.
That's not what my physics professor girlfriend said. Her research was not climate related but she said that climate is affected by industrial output and that even if some projects had fudged numbers the overwhelming body of work is good and peer reviewed.

But that's a debate for another place.